Saturday, 20-Apr-24, 3:53 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Which character has the most troubled history?
Which character has the most troubled history?
Other than Jane, which main character do you think has the most troubled history?
1.Lisbon[ 25 ][54.35%]
2.Van Pelt[ 13 ][28.26%]
3.Cho[ 5 ][10.87%]
4.Rigsby[ 3 ][6.52%]
Answers total: 46
Fran Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 11:44 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

The Mentalist Writers asked this question on twitter and Geli suggested that it would be interesting to have a poll here.

After making your selection, it would be great if you could also tell us your reasons.

Thanks.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 12:13 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Mmm, I'm not sure about this one because we've seen evidence of a troubled past for all of them. There have been hints about Van Pelt's past which haven't been revealed yet and we've seen her have to deal with some very traumatic situations.

But in the end I voted for Lisbon because she seems to be totally work-driven with no personal life, and I get the impression that she's incapable of having a relationship with a man that lasts for more than a night. So she seems to be shut down and I think there has to be a reason for that which we haven't seen yet.

Thrill Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 1:24 PM | Message # 3
Dinkie-Di

Definitely Lisbon - there have been hints of a tough childhood - raising her brothers, drunk father etc. She has never given any indication that she has ever got close to anyone. remember the Ep when Jane hypnotised her - she was so scared that she may loose control she shooed him out of her apartment as soon as he had finished even though she clearly needed company. She is so by the book in her job as if she doesnt have the self confidence to be more flexible - although jane is gradually showing her how.....
All this makes her character interesting - but to be successful you dont necessarily have to be emotionally shut down!
I would really like to see some of her character develop - with the reappearance of something/someone from her past to completely stir her up and create lots of tension between her and jane and her and the team. I keep thinking about an old cop buddy of hers (they did training together) - has recently moved to Sacramento from Pittsburgh and her 16 year old son is kidnapped/murdered....... the friend is of course Kim McPherson.....

Frosttbitten Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 3:51 PM | Message # 4
Blow-In

All of them have troubled past, it's difficult to pick one :/

Theses were my same choices in twitter, I voted for Van Pelt for the those same reasons of the troubled past that Jane picked up early in the series (Bloodshot). We don't know yet what it is, but Jane figured it was traumatic, and that VP doesn't talk about even to herself, plus we've seen her, 2 times, being used to hurt people, Jane more specifically. That must have crushed your confidence and judgment pretty bad, specially since you're a cop, you're supposed to see this coming, figure out the bad guy from the good guy.

Then, on a second tweet I also added Red John. How much troubled past can you have to have grown up to be a serial killer? Even more, to have murdered an innocent child pretty much is worse. So I suppose RJ, takes the prize... and to me it fits, after all, this about Patrick John vs Red John, the two with the most troubled past. Then again, maybe he's just a twisted, evil little man, with a perfect childhood..

>.< we'd better not go on analyzing RJ, lest he take an grudge against us O.O

LOLOL!

I know.. we should keep it, between the main characters.. lol! pffftt!! RJ is main character smile

I hope their asking means more back story in S5 for one of the characters, specially VP, since she's the one we know just a little.

mouse Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 4:46 PM | Message # 5
Blow-In

Its Jane, of course. Con artist father, no mother that we know off. Years and years of deceiving people for money and the only two people who meant anything to him were murdered.

angel Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 4:50 PM | Message # 6
Cobber

I deffo think van pelt. There was many hints in s1 but went nowhere and they dealt with cho n rigsby and bit on lisbon with brother and also 2.3 epis also but nothing with grace. When she said she made up story bout sister death was it? Deffo came from experience. With all tragedy going thru i think s5 should be when we get to learn her past as she tries to deal with present.

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 5:00 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

I voted for Lisbon since she is so closed up about her past except for a few inferences. She is also about the same age as Jane yet can't seem to get a grip on her own demons thus the drinking in a few episodes, the need to control and the lack of trust even though she pretends to have a handle on Jane and the team. This is why R.J. has allowed her to continue to help Jane in his pursuit of him, why he has never reached out to destroy her, Jane can't function well unless its's with her as a partner.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 6:52 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

I went outside the box and voted for Cho. LOL. Cho doesn't show much emotion, but it makes you wonder why that is. He was in a gang when he was young and then he joined the military. And it makes you wonder what experiences he had during that time. He doesn't talk much about his past or much at all.
Lisbon's past is certainly troubled though, so she'd be my next choice.
It is true that they all have issues, Van Pelt has something that's not spoken of, Rigsby has a criminal for a dad, etc.

bee Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 7:44 PM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

I voted for Lisbon also because of all the reasons above, she lost her mother when she was young, had to bring up three brothers and had a drunk for a father. She appears to be work driven, even to the point of losing touch with her siblings, and is a lone soul who has also turned to drink (mildly) in the past. She doesn't appear to have formed any lasting relationships and her one night stand with Mashburn was only because (I believe) she was pushed into it by Jane!

alibongo Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 8:16 PM | Message # 10
Ankle Biter

I voted for Lisbon for the same reasons as everyone else really. Mother killed, drunken father, having to raise two brothers. I'm surprised that she is as stable as she is.

Kath Date: Tuesday, 10-Apr-12, 8:26 PM | Message # 11
Blow-In

I really want to know more about Lisbon's past, i'd actually love to see Jane start digging, rather than see him slide further down his own slippery slope, which has been hinted at over the last few weeks...I would love to find out more about the whole team, and how Jane went to work at CBI rather than the dark clouds descending again...but then, thats just me biggrin

Peithon Date: Wednesday, 11-Apr-12, 0:24 AM | Message # 12
Rip Snorter

It's not Lisbon, we already know more about Lisbon's past than anyone elses. Van Pelt has some dark stuff and Cho was in a gang but I think Rigsby with his biker dispproving father, his abused mother and his just revealed picked on in school because he was small not to mention how almost violently he guarded Van Pelt against her boyfriend in Bloodshot, he's got some serious issues. Not to mention LaRoche's 'it's genetic.' As for Jane they have kept his entire maternal line a complete blank - bet there's an RJ connection there. Although I have to admit, I did not agree with the writers/Heller that everyone on the team had to have issues - it kind of dilutes the effect.

68Dove Date: Wednesday, 11-Apr-12, 8:49 AM | Message # 13
Blow-In

I chose Van Pelt, for what little we know about her past except for her father having been a football coach, we haven't a clue....She had a kind of Shirley Temple-esque demenor, before having to kill her fiance, then the darkness shadowed her. I think that maybe her character would have been molested by her "hero" father or one of his best team players and did nothing about it to keep any ugliness from marring his beloved team. Grace, being "daddy's" girl did what her father asked and kept silent. This would explain her initial "sweet" persona (Dad's behest) and a need to make things "right" for others (with her career choice) since she had nowhere to turn herself.

Geni Date: Wednesday, 11-Apr-12, 5:28 PM | Message # 14
Ankle Biter

We don't know much about Grace's past so I'll go with Lisbon. Her Mother died much too soon, a Drunken father and 2 younger siblings to look after. That's though.

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 11-Apr-12, 9:20 PM | Message # 15
Bee's Knees

I'm gonna agree with Peithon, and say Rigsby - for the reasons mentioned plus the fact that he reacted about someone hurting him when Jane hypnotised him in the children's play area in Russet Potatoes. I'm thinking there's some possible abuse in his history - poss from fellow members of his dad's biker gang? I got the impression that it was not necessarily only of a physical nature, I'm thinking possible sexual abuse. Just 'cos he's big and tough-looking now doesn't mean it was always that way. His dad never protected him and I think it may surface mixed up with feelings about his own baby son - he'll be uber protective (that's if it really is his son!!

Message edited by AgentM - Wednesday, 11-Apr-12, 9:21 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Which character has the most troubled history?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz