Friday, 29-Mar-24, 3:35 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » How will it all end? (Thoughts about how the Red John story will play itself out)
How will it all end?
AgentM Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 12:40 PM | Message # 16
Bee's Knees

Well, y'all have given me some food for thought with some very well reasoned opinions! I just love that the show has such an intellectual audience! It does give us pause for thought, we do get emotionally and irrevocably attached to the characters and Bruno has even managed to turn us all into mini-obsessive Janes!! Thus adding to the whole experience - What a clever man he is! tongue

PJ becoming one of RJ's disciples? Methinks that there is the very definite whiff of a long con in motion here - Jane is setting it up to appear believable, keeping Lisbon in the dark for as long as he can, but ultimately she'll be involved in the set up. He's figured out that he does have the power to manipulate RJ - ie the Panzer case - Jane is using his own dark side to help with the latest ruse. I also accept there is the possibility that it could be cathartic for him too - maybe it will lead to the happy ending and peace of mind so longed for by many fans?

justlook3 Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 6:31 AM | Message # 17
Bee's Knees

I just don't want them to all be dead at the end! There was a tv series in the mid 90s called "Forever Knight" that has gained notoriety for its "screw job" ending. I am so emotionally scarred by it that even now over a decade later, I cannot bring myself to watch the DVDs.
The romantic in me wants someone to be happy. Even if Patrick is alone relationship wise, I'd love him to be at least at peace and hopeful. As well as everyone else. I've always liked the more, tomorrow is another day series finales. Sure all the loose plots get wrapped up. But then it's see you Monday and in your head, they're back to carrying out business.
I kinda want it to end with Jane on his couch, "Say Lisbon, would you like a cup of tea?"
Fade to black.

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 8:37 AM | Message # 18
Bee's Knees

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just don't want it to go the shipper route - when Mulder and Scully got together in The X-Files it completely ruined the whole thing, and then the series went into silly mode. I don't want PJ and Lisbon to be in a romantic clinch at the end, but I agree that the writers could at least but one of them in a secure relationship - more likely Lisbon than PJ, tho.

On a side note, I just saw Derren Brown live last night. The man is a legend!!! Tried to pick up some good old body reading skills from him, and 'Russet Potatoes' (the NLP ep) was really helpful in letting me recognise the 'influential' words that he spoke throughout the night. Loved it! You could clearly see some of the things SB picked up from watching him. Right down to the rolling up on to the toes and arching slightly backwards!! lol. cool

lionking Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 9:43 AM | Message # 19
Blow-In

The romantic in me wants someone to be happy. Even if Patrick is alone relationship wise, I'd love him to be at least at peace and hopeful. As well as everyone else. I've always liked the more, tomorrow is another day series finales. Sure all the loose plots get wrapped up. But then it's see you Monday and in your head, they're back to carrying out business.
I kinda want it to end with Jane on his couch, "Say Lisbon, would you like a cup of tea?"
Fade to black.
justlook3

This is more how I think it should end. PJ should get his man one way or another, but the end doesn't have to wrap up his life story. Some of the best endings are open ended. I am thinking in particular of the bitter-sweet, yet charming and funny ending to Casablanca, as Rick walks off into the fog with his best mate and says, 'Louis this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship'. As a viewer you can take Rick's story on from there in any direction you can imagine and you leave the film with an optimistic smile on your face. Lisbon and Jane could fade out in a similar way.

Such an ending also makes commercial sense. There's a reason why JK Rowling didn't kill off Harry, it is too much of a downer and ruins future sales of any series.

Juney Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 11:22 AM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

I agree lionking. We don't want shocks and unhappy endings, but we do want an ending of sorts. Please don't go down The Guardian route, with no ending at all.

Nixenkind Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 11:49 AM | Message # 21
Jillaroo

That what scares me most... I keep thinking about "CSI:Miami", where the season was already wrapped up when the cancellation was announced- what can a producer do against something like this happening? The show has no ending now- no idea if there's a evil cliffhanger at the end, but just imagine TM ending after a finale like the one coming up- that's my biggest nightmare.

lyn Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 12:23 PM | Message # 22
Blow-In

I have two major fears about the way the show could be taken....

1) I know that some people won't like this, but for me without Red John and Jane's battle with him The Mentalist would be pretty boring and repetitive.
Don't get me wrong I love Jane when he's funny and risky and mischievous, just not all the time. There are so many other procedurals that have much stronger cases each week and there are those that are light and funny, but The Mentalist is unique in combining true dark with humour and mystery, moreover Jane is the only character who combines the dark and the light so skilfully. Without Red John we'd have half a Jane!
So please don't get rid of Red John before the end of the series. Actually for me ramp up the Red John. Bring it on!

2) I'm concerned that if everything we've seen in Red Rover and in the promos is Jane playing a long con and he is totally in control I will begin to lose some of the empathy I feel for him.
If I can never believe it when I see Jane 'suffering',because it's all part of a con, how can I feel sympathy for him? I don't want to end up simply admiring his ingenuity, cunning and determination! I am hoping that he is truely on the edge and that it is this teetering on the brink of insanity that has made him throw himself at Red John, as it were, because if the scenes we've seen are only Jane acting a part for the CBI mole to see then Jane is a very fine actor .......... almost as good as Simon!
So I'm hoping that he really is in a mess as we've been told and that 'the long con', which I think we all agree exists, is not as controlled as I fear it maybe. Give me suffering Jane any day................... how can we imagine comforting a cold hearted schemer who cons his audience into feeling sorry for him? sad

Message edited by lyn - Wednesday, 16-May-12, 4:23 PM

Nixenkind Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 3:26 PM | Message # 23
Jillaroo

I agree whole-heartedly (is that even a word?), Lyn. Removing Red John would mean solving a basic conflict, and that is always a bad idea for a TV-show (they even teach in filmschool that you're not supposed to do that!).
About the con: I understand what you mean, and I agree. It's good to see him out of control from time to time, he would simply seem to cold and aloof otherwise. Red John has always had the ability to really get to him, so even if Jane planned all of what's happening, I guess we will definitely see his emotional distress. Jane isn't a cold character, he just hides how deeply he is involved most of the time. I guess we'll know more in...wait...41 hours? I think I'm feeling slightly nauseous right now...

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 16-May-12, 5:04 PM | Message # 24
Bee's Knees

I'm watching reruns of The Guardian and seem to remember how at the end, he ends up taking the lead of the outfit he originally was sentenced to serve. His life now will have meaning and maybe Lulu will consider him a better role model for their daughter. So leaving an open ended ending to me helps me to visualize what might be and keep it positive. I'm hoping heller will go the same route and after the Red John thing is resolved Jane can look ahead to the future with whomever, and leave it at that. We can then all speculate how his life will go on.

Tina Date: Thursday, 17-May-12, 2:14 PM | Message # 25
Fair Dinkum

I loved the ending of The Guardian. I always thought Nick belongs to LSP. I was happy he didn't get Lulu at the end, she treated him so bad, it wouldn`t have been satisfying for me, she's not good enough for him. I think Nick was okay at the ending, he was too good for the money-based law business.
I hope TM will go out like this in like 10 years or so. I don't need complete closure, just that RJ will never harm anybody again. I think it would not be good for TM if he gets RJ before the ending ...as Simon said in Monte Carlo, that`s what drives him, and it wouldn't be as interesting without RJ.

Tina

lyn Date: Thursday, 17-May-12, 5:25 PM | Message # 26
Blow-In

What I am going to sugest burst everybody's bubble if I say that I don't think Red John should be caught until the end, for the reasons I stated above, but I also think that the Patrick can't go on NOT catching Red John for too much longer. It just becomes repetitive, so much as I hate to admit it I think The Mentalist will only last for at most a couple more seasons.

Tassie Date: Thursday, 17-May-12, 7:52 PM | Message # 27
Bee's Knees

I have to agree lyn. For some reason I can't explain I've always thought that series 5 would be the final one. I must admit that although I enjoy most of the episodes I only really watch to see Simon's great acting.

AgentM Date: Thursday, 17-May-12, 8:47 PM | Message # 28
Bee's Knees

Yeah I agree that (sadly cry ) TM will probably only get to Season 7 maximum. I base that on contract expiration dates, plus, much as I love the show, I don't want it to get boring - I stopped religiously watching CSI: Vegas after S8 - don't want to get to a point where I just tune in every now and again --- lol, having said that, I probably wouldn't abandon SB, just 'cos he's so darn good to look at and is currently the best actor on TV !

Juney Date: Friday, 18-May-12, 5:14 PM | Message # 29
Bee's Knees

Tina, the trouble with the ending of TG was that we didn't know whether he got Lulu or not. He bought her a house, did she move in? He arranged 'couples counselling' what was the result? She looked at him all 'gooey' eyed while telling him she didn't want to take his name. It was so up in the air. I agree though that he was right for Legal Services although wouldn't Lulu be entitled to her old job back after maternity leave? I obviously worry too much about Nick. sad

lionking Date: Saturday, 19-May-12, 3:16 PM | Message # 30
Blow-In

I have also thought about what happened to Nick after series 3. biggrin

I think he realised he and Lulu were incompatible. She left for pastures new, though they stayed in touch for the sake of their daughter. Nick went on to make a huge success of LSP and found an intelligent and grounded woman who loved him for himself, plus he continued his journey towards being the caring and dedicated man the series was just beginning to explore.

(You may be able to tell from my version that I wasn't that fond of Lulu!)

Anyway this is the beauty of an open ended conclusion, and why I would like it for The Mentalist, so we can all imagine the future as we would want.

Message edited by lionking - Saturday, 19-May-12, 3:19 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » How will it all end? (Thoughts about how the Red John story will play itself out)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz