Wednesday, 24-Apr-24, 10:41 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » How will it all end? (Thoughts about how the Red John story will play itself out)
How will it all end?
AgentM Date: Saturday, 12-May-12, 5:45 PM | Message # 1
Bee's Knees

Apologies if this is in another thread that I haven't noticed or found yet....but I was musing to myself about how the series will finally end. Hopefully not for another couple of seasons at least, but all good things must, at some point, come to an end. sad

My thoughts: I don't think that there will be a happy ending for Patrick - I think it would be unrealistic for him to find and kill Red John, find a new love and disappear off into the sunset to start anew. Nahhhhh!

I have two scenarios running through my mind;

Scenario 1 - Jane finds Red John and there is a mammoth showdown between the two of them. Both are mortally wounded during the confrontation, but Red John succumbs first so that Lisbon can inform Jane that he got his man. Then Patrick succumbs to his injuries. I can see Lisbon at the gravestones of his family, with the addition of a new gravestone with Jane's name on it. He gets his man and is reunited with his family. (ahhhhh, boo hoo!) weep

Scenario 2 - Jane gets his man and succeeds in killing Red John. However, having spent the best part of a decade with that as his only focus and purpose in life, it isn't enough for Jane and he begins to spiral down into a deep and dark depression from which no one can save him. The outcome is eventually the same, with Lisbon attending his funeral and then leaving the CBI. weep

I know they're a bit maudlin! dry What does everyone else think? I know y'all have been pondering it!

bee Date: Saturday, 12-May-12, 6:40 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

I had also thought about how the series would eventually end and what the outcome would be. I'm afraid I also believe there can be no "happy ending" for Jane. The vengeance he feels he must have on RJ has taken over his life to the point where he feels he cannot have a normal relationship and he shuns any form of physical contact with anyone. (This of course may change in the coming weeks..as we are led to believe!).

Idea No. 1: Jane finally kills RJ but the time spent pursuing him has left an emotional mark on him and feeling elated at the prospect of a normal life and realising how much support Lisbon has given him over the years the spark between them is ignited. However, this feeling of euphoria does not last and Jane lapses into a downward spiral and depression sets in. The feeling of guilt is still there and although Lisbon is by his side he eventually is admitted to a mental asylum. Lisbon, supportive to the last, visits him on a daily basis with their daughter, never giving up hope that they will all be together one day leading a normal life.

Now I know this is rather a depressing scenario (to say the least) but like AgentM I find it hard to believe that there can be a "happy ever after" ending after the turmoil Jane has been through over the years. However ......

Idea No. 2: And this is my favourite ... with Lisbon's constant support Jane is able to move on with his life and they are together, having both left the CBI, working as Private Detectives with their own agency!

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 12-May-12, 8:06 PM

Geli Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 5:15 AM | Message # 3
Surfie

I think it's too early to seriously speculate how the RJ story will play out. We can wish, hope... we also don't know when the RJ story will end: soon, later, or at the end of the series. AgentM, your suggestions are good, but I had to laugh the whole time (maybe I'm just in a good mood right now) cause they're sooooo serious. bee, I prefer idea 2. Usually PJ is an optimistic person. I do like the real-life-aspect/stories in TM, so, yes, it could go many different ways including great personal struggle, depression, or worse. For right now I look forward to the finale and next season, take one episode at a time, try not to worry about it, enjoy Simon Baker's acting. I think the most hard-to-believe scenario for me would be if it turned out that PJ is RJ. Now that would make for some spectacular acting on Simon Baker's part. Do I really want to see this? No, because it would be so immensly intense and heartwrenching, not to mention shocking and maybe revolting. We empathize with PJ, how would we react to that? Ahm .... I don't think fans want to even consider this.

AgentM Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 10:57 AM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

Geli, I don't think it's that fans don't want to consider PJ being RJ, I think some already have at various times. I just think if that was the case, Bruno would be taking the easy way out and cheating the viewers - and I really don't think he would be about to do that! wink PJ's 'optimism' is borne out of deflection - his childish simplicity and tendency for fun are respite from his dark side. I just think there's more dark than light in him, especially now.

Bee...LOL! Oh holy Jisbon shipper! It would be nice to see PJ experience some happiness but I'm afraid I'm in the 'keep Jane and Lisbon uninvolved' camp ---- remember Mulder and Scully? Never should have happened.

kul65 Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 4:56 PM | Message # 5
Cobber

Those who have access to the Season 3 DVD set can check out the special feature profile of Red John. Bruno Heller explicitly states and denies the possibility that Patrick Jane is Red John, pointing out that it would be like cheating the viewers. And I agree with him. How would one be able to rewatch the light-hearted episodes again knowing that Jane is or contains a notorious serial killer.

sylvia5993 Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 6:16 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

There is no way that RJ is Patrick Jane. And although Lisbon has great affection for him (just as with her feral brothers) there is no real physical attraction. She is so protective of him, morelike a mother or big sister. That Patrick goes into a mental decline is quite obvious, he's been there before. The latest episode withthe scene int he cemetary shows that he is on the verge (did anyone notice that the headstones were switched). Lately I've been watching the Sherlock Holmes series on BBC and see a remarkable resemblance between SH and PJ, Both are sociopath and almost incapable of feeling others' pain, quite often causing it, insulting and rude and brilliant. Even parts of the plots seem to veer in the same direction. Has anyone noticed that?

Fran Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 6:19 PM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

On this point perhaps all my reason and logic goes out of the window, I don't know, but I WANT A HAPPY ENDING. The eternal optimist in me has to believe that anyone is capable of turning their life around and finding contentment, whether it be real life or fiction.

But I don't think it has to be a sloppy romantic ending for me to feel good about it. I don't want Jane to kill Red John, I'd prefer someone else to do that, but with Jane having been the brains behind tracking him down. Despite everything, Jane still has a lust for life, so I believe it would be perfectly reasonable for him to make up his mind to come to terms with his past and look to his future.

Evy Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 6:46 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

In interviews this week, in French newspapers during his visit to Paris, Simon said he knew the end and that episodes of new season would answer any questions the audience arises.....

AgentM Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 7:25 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Quote (sylvia5993)
a remarkable resemblance between SH and PJ, Both are sociopath and almost incapable of feeling others' pain, quite often causing it, insulting and rude and brilliant. Even parts of the plots seem to veer in the same direction. Has anyone noticed that?

Yes, it has been noted. Bruno has always claimed that part of his inspiration for PJ was Holmes and Columbo and there are more than a few similarities - even down to syntax! - But Jane is more psychopath than sociopath - he does have the ability to empathise at times - as a psychopath he chooses to ignore it. Sociopaths don't recognise empathy at all.

Fran, I would desperately love to see a happy ending - biggrin And I know that SB could seriously pull off a complete turnaround in Jane's behaviour and attitude. I agree there are flashes of him wanting to live, but he is also content to lose his life in the process. He won't kill himself, he'll cause someone else to do it for him - almost like suicide by cop, or killer.

I know, I am a cheerful bunny! tongue

Nixenkind Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 8:04 PM | Message # 10
Jillaroo

Jane is not a sociopath in my opinion- I think he feels far deeper than he allows it to show. His reaction when he saw Rigsby's baby. The times when he gave away money for those who needed it most, gave consolation (even if it led to one of his much-hated hugs) to people who grieved, the way he gives solace to Lisbon (as in ep. 21, where he gave away that Archie Bloom never committed suicide, although there was no need to do it other than to make her feel better), the contempt he shows the killers and the kindness towards children- Jane has compassion in spades.
And I think that even locking the murderer into a coffin to get a confession was nothing but a show for Red John- to show him that he can be sadistic enough to be RJs disciple. I think that Jane tries to hide his emotions because he's afraid they could stop him from being ruthless enough to get Red John. Which, by the way, he wants to catch because he still, after all those years, grieves heavily for his family.
I think that there are many fans (me included) who would be very disappointed by a not-happy-ending- the ending could well be bittersweet, and Jane will possibly realize that getting revenge isn't a truly healing experience... but after it's done, I see a chance that he could heal. Not completely, but enough to gain some contentment for himself. I would love if the last scene would be a kiss between Jane and Lisbon- but that's just my shippy romantic heart talking.
Last but not least: excuse my horrible English, I have a major cold and should be in bed... I don't feel myself today. Sorry!

Geli Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 4:14 AM | Message # 11
Surfie

There are so many possibilities, Jane being RJ is just one of them. I don't think that
Quote (AgentM)
Bruno would be taking the easy way out and cheating the viewers
. My brain can't understand why that would be viewed as that. On the contrary I think it would be quite difficult to pull that off believably. Why would I feel cheated by getting to see some fantastic SB acting? I have no clue who it's going to be in the end. It's like they laid so many different 'trails'.
Maybe the show won't run for 7 seasons if SB roughly knows the ending already. Since they seem to be able to wrap things up fast, maybe we'll find out who RJ is in season 5 already. Then it could still carry on without RJ.
I hope that by the end of the show RJ will not be able to negatively influence and kill people anymore or have them killed, whether he turns out disabled, securely locked up or dead I don't care, and Jane will not be a disciple of RJ, have come to terms with his past, found peace and be able to move on, with or without a female companion I also don't care at this time.
Since Matthew 19:24 was quoted in 4.23, I conclude with Matthew 19:26.

Nixenkind Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 7:40 AM | Message # 12
Jillaroo

Will I get kicked when I admit that Simon Baker's acting isn't the SOLE reason for my love of The Mentalist?
Honestly, I'm always rooting for Jane, I like him VERY much, I feel for him when he suffers, I laugh with him when he fools around like a kid- and I always, always believe in his GOODNESS. I absolutely don't think that he's a bad guy. He's troubled and broken and obsessed when it comes to his revenge, but he has a kindness and sweetness to him, even if he tries to hide it most of the time. There is something pure inside him that can't be tainted by the worst of fates. That's my opinion, and I'm well aware that other fans see it very differently- but I would be infinitely disappointed if Patrick Jane were Red John, and I think I'm not the only one. But he can't be, of course- because Jane is GOOD, and Red John is not smile .
Just my two cents.

Message edited by Nixenkind - Monday, 14-May-12, 11:44 AM

Tina Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 9:37 AM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

I really hope for a happy ending, because if PJ would die at the end, it would spoil anything for me. And I think it would be bad for reruns or DVD sales. I really loved Prison Break, but after I saw the final episode I've never watched an episode again, even though I have all DVDs except the final season.
I think PJ is a very good person just trying not to show his emotions, maybe because he's scared to get hurt. He reminds me more and more on Nick Fallin. Just that Patrick tries to hide anything behind a big smile and being childish.
I'm not so much into a love story between Lisbon and Jane ...but I'd love to see their friendship grow and that they move on together at the end, go on working together, for the CBI or like somebody said somewhere privately as private detectives or something like that.
I'd be VERY disappointed if PJ would not get RJ and find some peace at the end.
Tina

bee Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 10:14 AM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

Nixenkind ..Oh I heartedly agree with everything you say about Jane. I too feel for him when he suffers because he didn't deserve what fate dealt him. Underneath his brash and sometimes arrogant behaviour there is a heart of gold. We have seen on many occasions that he is kind and giving to those who deserve it. My only wish is that he will eventually find peace of mind himself and perhaps love again. He truly deserves it.

Fran Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 11:38 AM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

Quote (tinamarianne)
I really hope for a happy ending, because if PJ would die at the end, it would spoil anything for me. And I think it would be bad for reruns or DVD sales.

I think that's a very good point. Despite its dark elements, the show's approach is to be essentially lighthearted, entertaining and amusing - and that's why its so popular. An unhappy ending would cast a shadow over the whole series, which I think would spoil it for most people, and would definitely be bad for business.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » How will it all end? (Thoughts about how the Red John story will play itself out)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz