Friday, 29-Mar-24, 11:48 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Subversive humour in The Mentalist (Favourite humourous lines that aren't obvious)
Subversive humour in The Mentalist
AgentM Date: Monday, 21-May-12, 8:57 AM | Message # 1
Bee's Knees

Hi everyone! I'm a big fan of subversive humour - those little jokes that are hidden within dialogue.

One of my faves is:

Pink Chanel Suit: ( when noticing the metal detectors at the judge's house for the burial of her mother)

Lisbon: Stiff security for a funeral

Another fave is from Red Herring:

Rigsby comes into the kitchen to inform Jane about one of the female chefs having had an affair with the victim:

Jane: (looking at the blonde woman)Ooooh, Roger that! lol

I've got loads more but wondered if anyone else had some to share. LOL

Message edited by AgentM - Tuesday, 05-Jun-12, 8:52 PM

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 05-Jun-12, 8:54 PM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

Red Gold:-

Jane: (to female gold prospector) Would you mind terribly if I held one of your nuggets in my hand? biggrin

Anyone found any others?

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 05-Jun-12, 10:29 PM | Message # 3
Bee's Knees

Crimson hat
Grace:"You want me to get some doughnuts while I'm out."

Cheap Burgundy
Lisbon: "Don't try to divert me with insults'"

AgentM Date: Friday, 03-Aug-12, 8:57 PM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

Okay so what is the funniest thing Jane has done to rally against authority?

One of my faves was when he burst into the court and flicked the Assistant DA on the nose mid trial. lol Just love the fact that he ended up arrested for contempt and with a huge fine!

There are many others...so come on let's hear them...

Message edited by AgentM - Friday, 03-Aug-12, 8:58 PM

KathyF Date: Friday, 03-Aug-12, 11:18 PM | Message # 5
Rip Snorter

Season 3 episode 11 "Bloodsport" the Star Wars reference to the guard who tried to stop him from entering..."These aren't the Droids your looking for" and just walked right by him
that cracked me up! Then in the next scene he riles up one of the fighters calling him a "dimly lit clown" and gets chased out of the building. He looked like a bad little boy as he ran/skipped away! lol laugh

sylvia5993 Date: Saturday, 04-Aug-12, 1:16 AM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

In something rotten in Redmond, sitting in the principal's office looking guilty but then calling him "Pervy, perv perv!"

lenacr Date: Saturday, 04-Aug-12, 1:21 AM | Message # 7
Dinkie-Di

Pink Chanel Suit (S3e06) - full of Patrick's antics against authority.
3 main ones:
- Patrick is late and in a hurry and an agent at the estate's gate insists that he goes through a metal detector. Patrick gets annoyed and challenges the agent to go through the metal detector himself, while he keeps putting coins in the agent's pocket. The result is that the machine keeps ringing every time the agent goes through it !!!! (found it extremely funny)
- At some stage, Patrick turns up with an expensive carpet on his shoulder, presumably checking the security of the estate, while triggering the alarms of the astate and having about 30 guns pointing at him
- He stops the grandmother's funeral and forces the opening of the coffin believing that the killed grand-daughter is in the coffin as well. Of course, only the dead grandmother is found in the coffin and he gets once more into trouble with the Judge, who slaps him, and Hightower (embarassingly funny, more like black humour).

Message edited by lenacr - Saturday, 04-Aug-12, 1:22 AM

AgentM Date: Saturday, 04-Aug-12, 8:50 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

All fab ones so far...

Have to mention the scene with Wainwright in 'Red Rover, Red Rover' where he says W still has his mother's milk on his lip and then that little wipe of his own lip to reiterate the point! Loved it! dry

Oooh there are so many to choose from...

Also love the one where he runs down the hill, against Lisbon's wishes, to check to see whether real money was used for a ransom drop in 'Redemption' and again ends up with all the undercover cops drawing their guns on him.

Quote (lenacr)
Patrick is late and in a hurry and an agent at the estate's gate insists that he goes through a metal detector. Patrick gets annoyed and challenges the agent to go through the metal detector himself, while he keeps putting coins in the agent's pocket. The result is that the machine keeps ringing every time the agent goes through it !!!! (found it extremely funny)

Nearly fell off my couch laughing at that one! lol

Hayseed Date: Saturday, 06-Apr-13, 4:56 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

I had never opened this thread, but I found a cartoon that I thought you all might enjoy and I needed a place to display it. I don't want to start another thread, so I'll put it here, but this thread is a great idea and Jane's sly remarks are one of my favorite things on the show. (the "these are not the droids you are looking for" made me laugh out loud the first time I watched it.)

Anyway, here's the cartoon, and I'll dig around for some humor quotes when I have some free time. (Oh darn, I may have to rewatch some episodes)

Trustfall

Mossibecca Date: Saturday, 06-Apr-13, 7:41 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

Love the cartoon Hayseed

AgentM Date: Saturday, 06-Apr-13, 10:57 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

LOL Hayseed! Love the cartoon...I look forward to hearing some of your Jane favourite funnies. dry

Hayseed Date: Tuesday, 23-Apr-13, 10:47 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

Red Velvet Cupcakes was chock full of innuendos and subversive humor.

A couple that come to mind are Jane's "we like to watch" in the radio station, and "turtlenecks." When I get a chance to rewatch I'm sure I can find a few more, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

Hayseed Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 10:23 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

A man with no tongue named "Saynay".

"Certainly a safe bet..."

AgentM Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 11:09 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Quote (Hayseed)
A man with no tongue named "Saynay".

Yeah, that one had me rolling around chuckling!! lol

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 28-Oct-13, 8:31 PM | Message # 15
Bee's Knees

Did anyone else fall off the couch laughing at Jane's line when he was with the private investigator lady and Cho....'Nice muffin'.....??? I have watched the episode 3 times, and it gets me every time...or of course it MAY just be my crazy mind!! crazy

Message edited by Mossibecca - Monday, 28-Oct-13, 8:31 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Subversive humour in The Mentalist (Favourite humourous lines that aren't obvious)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz