Sunday, 28-Apr-24, 8:17 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
Wand6122360 Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 1:30 PM | Message # 556
Bee's Knees

Good point Fran.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 1:55 PM | Message # 557
Fair Dinkum

A little bit more info here: https://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=19819

i.e. Made by Arclight Films (who made S&D101). Due for release in 2016.

June Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 2:10 PM | Message # 558
Bee's Knees

What a great news! Fred Schepisi is a good director, Australian too, I watched many of his films in the 90s, as "A cry in the dark" with Meryl Streep and her famous "a dingo ate my baby!". In my opinion his best work is a TV movie titled "Empire Falls" with an amazing cast: Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Ed Harris, Philip Seymour Hoffman and more. It's worth watching it.
I hope this movie and "Breath" mean the beginning of a new and successful phase for Simon. He deserves it.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 2:26 PM | Message # 559
Fair Dinkum

Very interesting. Great news. He sure doesn't look Italian ..maybe I'll wait with reading the book until I know which part Simon will play...
So good that Simon seems to stay busy.

Couldn't wait and just ordered the book in the German version ...I love Australian novels.

Message edited by tinamarianne - Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 2:48 PM

bee Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 2:50 PM | Message # 560
Fair Dinkum

Good news indeed. It will be great to see him in a new role. With this film and Breath in the offing it will show that Simon (as we all know) has a lot more to give and will hopefully open more acting/directing doors for him. In his position he will at least now be able to pick and choose his future roles and it's great to see him stick to his Australian roots.

Deedee Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 2:55 PM | Message # 561
Bee's Knees

This is such exciting news and am so glad that Simon will be in an Australian film and of course with Breath presumably coming before too long we have so much to look forward to.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 4:51 PM | Message # 562
Fair Dinkum

Found some more info. It seems it's set in Australia. So he might be Jack? Or some Aussie man in the present story.

Adrienne Bennett is a successful businesswoman with an enviable lifestyle but when her business goes down her life falls apart and her self-confidence quickly crumbles. She is forced to move from her beautiful Sydney apartment to the small rural community of Duffy’s Creek and the run-down olive grove she has inherited from her grandparents.

Over the next few months she makes some startling discoveries about her identity that lead her towards a deeper exploration of who she really is. She’s forced to confront and deal with secrets from the past and along the way she learns something about humility, friendships, forgiveness and love.

In a parallel narrative we follow Adrienne’s grandparents, the Martino family, Italian migrants who worked hard to establish the olive grove in the belief it would provide a legacy for their two daughters, Isabelle and Rosanna. They take local mining engineer Jack under their wing and he falls in love with and marries Isabelle, the elder sister. When problems in the marriage emerge, a pact is made between the sisters that leads to heartbreak and estrangement.

http://melissagfans.livejournal.com/650728.html

Message edited by tinamarianne - Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 4:52 PM

Tassie Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 5:54 PM | Message # 563
Bee's Knees

This is wonderful news. I was worried in case Simon didn't take an acting part in Breath, but now we have another chance to see him on the big screen. hands

Fran Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 7:49 PM | Message # 564
Fair Dinkum

Yes Tina, I wondered if Simon might be playing Jack.

Here are some other little snippets of information about the film:

2013 - Screen Australia Producer Directory Cannes 2013
Listed as in development, Estimated Budget A$15
http://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/getmedi....013.pdf

May 2014 - excerpt from interview with Fred Schepisi
What do you have coming up next that you’re excited for audiences to see?
SCHEPISI: The Olive Sisters will be next. It’s a film I’m doing in Australia about two generations of an Italian family, one in the late 50’s and the other now [in the present] with the granddaughter. It’s all about prejudice and changes in prejudice and farming. It’s a beautiful story.
We have Sarah Jessica Parker, Anthony LaPaglia, Josh Lucas, and Melissa George.
http://collider.com/words-and-pictures-interview-fred-schepisi/

July 2014 - excerpts from interviews with Fred Schepisi
Okay Fred, so what sort of projects are you doing in the future, and will there be further long gestation periods?
Well, in a month’s time I was supposed to start something called The Olive Sisters, based on a novel by Amanda Hampson… But my financing just fell through, so that’s the end of that.
http://www.adelaidereview.com.au/arts....ictures

What’s next for you as a director?
Well it’s supposed to be a thing called The Olive Sisters but there’s some financial stuff going on, hopefully it happens this year.
http://iris.theaureview.com/2014....nd-more

[Presumably funding is in place now, and the movie is going ahead]

December 2014 - from Amanda Hampsons website
The Olive Sisters – Movie Update
Over the last couple of years I’ve had the privilege of working on the screenplay for The Olive Sisters with the internationally admired and hugely talented Australian director Fred Schepisi. Over the last seven years I’ve written and rewritten this script but the last couple of years under Fred’s direction have been quite a learning curve for me and taken the script to a new level.

Setting a novel on two different time frames is an absolute doddle compared to trying to turn that into imagery. It’s incredibly complex working out how the two stories intertwine and support each other and in what order the revelations should appear.

While my first love is – and always will be – the novel, working on a script for a visual medium where the entire story has to be delivered in around 110 pages has been a real education in structure, stage management and brevity. I can really feel the difference in my writing now that I’m back working on a new novel.
http://www.amandahampson.com/27/

Tina Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 8:10 PM | Message # 565
Fair Dinkum

I can't wait to read the book. Just reading another Australian novel by Monica McInerney. Love her books. They are always big so I spent a lot of time reading today so I have this finished til I get The Olive Sisters.
I would be a bit disappointed though if Simon is shooting this one first...but who knows. Maybe it's a great part for him, this is why I need to read the book very soon biggrin

kim Date: Tuesday, 27-Jan-15, 11:14 PM | Message # 566
Bee's Knees

Yippee!! Just ordered the book. It is great that Simon doesn't like to sit around much. Lucky for us that we get to look forward to another film with him on the big screen.

bee Date: Wednesday, 28-Jan-15, 8:06 AM | Message # 567
Fair Dinkum

Seems Fred Schepisi had a few funding problems causing delays with this film. Is this normal (in the Australian/film world)? Of course if it had gone ahead as first planned (some time last August) Simon may not have been cast in the film because of TM commitments. Hope Simon doesn't come up against any delays though with Breath! sad

June Date: Wednesday, 28-Jan-15, 12:26 PM | Message # 568
Bee's Knees

I read about "Last Man" time ago and Simon is in this film too. The thing is that it's from 2009. How can be released now? Weird.

ruuger Date: Wednesday, 28-Jan-15, 5:52 PM | Message # 569
Cobber

bee, I don't know about Australia, but films in general tend to be delayed very often (because of lack of funds, scheduling conflicts for the director/stars, or just office politics), which is why many times the casts and directors can also change several times before the movie is actually finished (if it ever is). This wikipedia article list a lot of (in some cases very famous) movies that were stuck in development hell for decades even.

On a related note, apparently Sarah Jessica Parker was attached to the movie earlier, but since her name isn't mentioned in the latest announcements, I wonder if Leslie Mann has replaced her - and maybe Simon similarly replaced Anthony LaPaglia?

Message edited by ruuger - Wednesday, 28-Jan-15, 5:52 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 28-Jan-15, 6:51 PM | Message # 570
Fair Dinkum

Simon Baker at TF1 the 6th february:

http://tvmag.lefigaro.fr/program....ce.html

Translation of the french article:

The Mentalist: Simon Baker will offer his car... to France

Rumor has been spreading for a few days: Simon Baker will be visiting France to please his fans. He gives them appointment at TF1, Friday, February 6.

Now that the shooting of the ultimate season of The Mentalist is over - exactly last December 19 - Simon Baker wished to make a symbolic gesture to the country that has provided him such high audience ratings. During a small ceremony at TF1, Friday, Feb. 6, the Australian actor will offer the genuine car that was used in the filming of the seven seasons of the hit series. The famous Citroën DS 21 is going to make the trip with him from Los Angeles by plane. The actor will officially hand over the keys to Nonce Paolini, CEO of the TF1 group.

In a past interview, Simon Baker had confirmed us that he had personally made the choice of this car for his character: “(...) I wanted my character not to be the kind who own the latest trendy thing. I did the opposite. And the fact is that I've always been an admirer of this French brand”.
Simon Baker always loved France which returns the feeling. Season 6 of The Mentalist reached the fine average of 8.6 million viewers, close to 9 million. The actor is also the muse of a fragrance for man by the French fashion house Givenchy.
In any case, this ceremony and his coming confirm a thing: for him, The Mentalist is indeed over and done, no matter what happens, it won't return. In the meantime, TF1 will broadcast the seventh and ultimate season this autumn. Patrick Jane and Teresa Lisbon will be a couple, yes, but will hide it to their colleagues!
Nathalie Chuc

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz