Saturday, 11-May-24, 8:28 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
Ivana Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 11:18 AM | Message # 586
Fair Dinkum

New interview
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/enterta....2951229

Interview: The Mentalist star Simon Baker is set to close the casebook as series comes to end
IT'S seven years since Simon Baker debuted as TV's Patrick Jane, the fraudulent - and successful - psychic who uses his skills to help the California Bureau of Investigation solve murders.

But now the series is coming to a close, and the 45-year-old actor admits it's the right time.

The dynamic of the series changed, he notes, after his character's quest for revenge - against the serial killer who murdered his wife and daughter - was concluded last season.

"That's all he was living for," says the Australian star, who had roles in Aussie soaps Home And Away and Heartbreak High before moving to the US.

"Once he catches the bad guy and exercises revenge, what has he got?"

Instead, The Mentalist's seventh and final season will delve into Jane and FBI agent Teresa Lisbon's much-anticipated relationship.

"We're now going to shift the dynamic of the show, to the perspective of two adults who work together," explains Baker.

"Can they succeed in having a relationship at the same time, or are they too selfish, too self-destructive?"

After being colleagues for almost a decade, he admits the change in their fictional relationship took a bit of adjusting to.

"It's a little bit like kissing my sister," confesses Baker, who's been nominated for two Golden Globes during his career; in 2002 for US TV series The Guardian, based on a Pittsburgh law firm, and later for The Mentalist.

The ending of the show might already have been dictated, but the actor, who has three children with his wife, Australian actress Rebecca Rigg, confesses he was hoping for a "slightly different" finale.

"I think the most tragic endings are more romantic in a way. I also think about the character that I signed on to play," he adds. "He was a tragic character from the beginning, and to me, it only ever felt right that there was sort of a tragic ending to it."

In real life, Baker has been happily married to Rigg since 1998.

"It was pretty crazy, in that I was as young as I was," says the actor, who was 29 when the couple tied the knot. "It's not that young, but I was unemployed and didn't have a pot to p**s in! But you've got to take risks."

Despite spending most of his career on the small screen - though millions will also recognise him from 2006 movie The Devil Wears Prada - The Mentalist star admits he believes that TV series can sometimes patronise audiences.

"The audience should be treated with a certain level of intelligence, and I get very upset when we talk down to them. It annoys me," he reveals.

"The audience is savvy, they know the characters, they're going to get those leaps, and even if they don't, they'll enjoy the speculation about it. We don't need to force-feed them."

Baker, who was presented with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2013, doesn't deny that his starring role in The Mentalist has taken a toll on his private life.

"Everyone misses privacy, whether you're in the public eye or not. But there are a lot of positive things that are exchanged. I've had a fantastic experience," he adds.

He's excited about enjoying some downtime with his nearest and dearest, now that filming's over.

"I'm looking forward to enjoying the simple things socially, actually reconnecting with friends and family that I've been a little bit out of the loop with for the last seven years.

"I'd love to be the assistant coach of my kids' soccer team, and actually be able to go to practices, or just go camping," adds Baker, who, as Patrick Jane, reportedly became one of the highest paid actors in TV.

But he doesn't want to lose momentum either, and is keen to further the producing and directing skills he also honed on the series.

"I like the idea of developing and producing something from the beginning, maybe a mini-series. I'm interested in finding material to do that with, and also partnering up with the right people."

As for the keepsake he'll take from his memorable time on The Mentalist, that's easy...

"I might take a suit or two. They're made for me and have my name on them," says Baker. "I'll keep them for my sons."

l The final series of The Mentalist begins on Channel 5 on Thursday, February 12

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 12:55 PM | Message # 587
Fair Dinkum

interesting little interview.
The most interestingparts for me:
The Mentalist star admits he believes that TV series can sometimes patronise audiences.
"The audience should be treated with a certain level of intelligence, and I get very upset when we talk down to them. It annoys me," he reveals.
"The audience is savvy, they know the characters, they're going to get those leaps, and even if they don't, they'll enjoy the speculation about it. We don't need to force-feed them."

It confirms Simon was not OK with the turn of events in S06, since Jane came back to the US. He's definitely a non-shipper happy

And this is great news:
But he doesn't want to lose momentum either, and is keen to further the producing and directing skills he also honed on the series.
"I like the idea of developing and producing something from the beginning, maybe a mini-series. I'm interested in finding material to do that with, and also partnering up with the right people."

Hope we'll see this project become a reality!

Fran Date: Tuesday, 03-Feb-15, 6:04 PM | Message # 588
Fair Dinkum

TF1: Posez vos questions à Simon Baker, alias Patrick Jane le Mentalist ! (Ask Simon questions)

https://twitter.com/TF1/status/562221243844554752
http://www.tf1.fr/mentali....66.html

French fans saying on twitter that Simon has cancelled Friday's Le Grand Journal appearance

Fran Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 10:18 AM | Message # 589
Fair Dinkum

As posted on Home Page

The Mentalist’s Simon Baker buys into exclusive Bondi peninsula

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsloc....7331378

LA-BASED Australian actor Simon Baker is the latest name to snap up property in Bondi Beach.

It is understood that The Mentalist star, who has been spotted taking in the surf at Bondi Beach in recent days, bought in the select Ben Buckler area last year.

The 45-year-old actor is currently in Australia with wife Rebecca­ Rigg and children Stella, 21, Claude, 16, and Harry, 13, and have been regularly spotted enjoying the beach lifestyle at Australia’s most famous beach.

Sources report that the actor and his wife paid more than $2.5 million for an apartment with beach and coastal views.

Ben Buckler, a peninsula containing just a few streets at the northern end of Bondi Beach, has become a prestige property hotspot in recent years.

McGrath agent Bethwyn Richards, who has sold a number of properties at Ben Buckler, said its stunning location and limited stock made it property gold.

“When people come to Bondi they look down Campbell Parade and see the beach and that headland. It is magical place that is unique in Australia,” Ms Richards said.

“There are only three streets in Ben Buckler so there is also a limited amount of property.”

Properties are listed as being in either Bondi Beach or North Bondi.

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 11:41 AM | Message # 590
Rip Snorter

Oh my!! That crazy press! They gave basically his home address. Poor Simon. His home should stay private.

bee Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 2:02 PM | Message # 591
Fair Dinkum

I feel the same Tanja, poor Simon. I thought he would have more privacy in Australia but that doesn't seem to be the case! I especially feel for his children who will probably also be followed and photographed! sad Isn't there a law against that?

Tanja Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 2:50 PM | Message # 592
Rip Snorter

bee, I talked with Aussie woman on twitter. She means that Australian paparazzis not so rude like in Hollywood and it must be very secure area and not everybody can go in. I hope it for him and his family.

bee Date: Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 2:56 PM | Message # 593
Fair Dinkum

Totally agree Tanja. Everyone deserves their privacy especially Simon who is always so gracious with his time for his many fans.

Message edited by bee - Wednesday, 04-Feb-15, 2:59 PM

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 5:08 PM | Message # 594
Fair Dinkum

Does anybody know if Simon will be on tf1 tomorrow? And if so, when?
I've searched for any info but couldn't find anything. Maybe in the news at 8 o'clock pm?

Tanja Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 5:35 PM | Message # 595
Rip Snorter

tinamarianne, He'll be on TF1 tomorrow in hte News show smile

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 5:44 PM | Message # 596
Fair Dinkum

Thank you Tanja. What time is it on?

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 5:55 PM | Message # 597
Fair Dinkum

Quote tinamarianne ()
Thank you Tanja. What time is it on?

Could be either at 1 PM or 8 PM.

Tanja Date: Thursday, 05-Feb-15, 6:10 PM | Message # 598
Rip Snorter

tinamarianne, DS_Pallas, It could be more at 8pm

DS_Pallas Date: Friday, 06-Feb-15, 12:28 PM | Message # 599
Fair Dinkum

Apparently, it's confirmed for the TF1 8pm news hosted by Claire Chazal. Meh. Don't like her. She's dull.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Friday, 06-Feb-15, 12:37 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 08-Feb-15, 4:14 PM | Message # 600
Fair Dinkum

Transcription / translation of Simon Baker interview on TF1 by Claire Chazal - 6 february 2015
(sorry for the approximations, but tell you it was no piece of cake, the voice of the translator is often too loud)

Claire Chazal : Our guest tonight is one of the most popular actors in France, and we know him well at TF1 because he plays in The Mentalist, the most watched american TV show, its simon Baker. He's passing through Paris [there's abug, some seconds lacking ] but look at that, Fredéric Agnes and William Villemin were there.

Voice-off:
Photo shoot in a suit for Simon Bake. Like his character, Patrick Jane in The Mentalist, there is this natural elegance which had him endorsed by 9 millions of French viewers.
Since 7 years he’s been playing this hero, who can bust murderers and gangsters thanks to his psychological analysis only. A gift that helped him to close the Red John case, his wife and child killer. Then came the end of a season 6 in where he also admits his love for his partner, to the great relief for his fans.

Bruno Heller: From a writer point of view, I wrote a dark, profound and serious character. While playing him, Simon Baker brought to Patrick Jane some lightness, distinction and sense of humor.

Voice-off
With also a distinctive French particularity, look at that car chosen by the American hero, a Citroen DS 21, manufactured in 1972. The filming is over in the US now. Simon Baker and the whole crew have chosen to make a particular gift to the French viewers and to TF1. For the nostalgic ones, Patrick Jane will still use it all along the season 7, still unseen in France.

CC: So Simon Baker is our guest. During the 6 seasons, you’ve brought together with The Mentalist near 60 millions viewers on TF1. Do you realize it’s absolutely exceptional?
SB: Um.. It’s a number. It’s near abstract. It’s hard to realize.
CC: It’s a love too, it's an attachment. Not only a number.
SB: Yeah, that’s true. The show's been successful. I'm grateful for the audience that made be able to do the show, and be able to play the character, so it's… it's not something that I can really grasp in my everyday life.
CC: So, maybe it's difficult to realise what it means, but the French audience loves you very much. Do you enjoy coming in Paris?
SB: I love coming to Paris. They treat me way too nice when I come here. And I indulge in the fact that they enjoy the show and check on what I do. So it's great time every time and I've always loved coming to Paris before, way before the Mentalist even started. It has always a dream, coming to Paris, when I was a kid.
CC: Do you think that the reason why we’re so attached to the character, is because he’s different, he has some distance, humor, insolence?
SB: No, I think the French appreciate the character because he is not just two-dimensional like a lot of characters are. He’s human. He has flaws, he is well-intentioned but he doesn’t necessarily always succeed, emotionaly or personnaly. And I think what’s interesting to me, when I come to Paris and I talk to the people who watch the show, is they appreciate the details in the character. And maybe that’s because the French audience is looking for something more different. I’ve spent a lot of time today with Bruno Heller, who created the show, we’re very very good friends, and we both discussed how different an interview is here in France and how they appreciate the show, and Bruno noticed as well. You guys are a very respectful audience.
CC: Generally yes, we are. We do respect the artists. If the audience likes the character, it’s also perhaps because he has suffered, he has these flaws and these weaknesses in him?
SB: Yeah, essentially he’s a tragic figure trying to reconnect with a normal life.
CC: So Simon Baker, the season 6 has just ended on a love story. Did you insist for that change to be and for that last twist in the season 6?
SB: Well, I knew they wanted to finish the story, the Red John arch, and then there was a discussion about what we do afterwards? It's very easy to go on with the same old story trope, over and over again. So for me, if it wants to be about romance, it was more about the telling of the story, the unfolding of the story, on how we did it. The characters, Patrick Jane and Teresa Lisbon, aren't teenagers that frolick around, canoodling, they are adults. So there's a complexity and a delicacy of the business of having a relationship. So Romance is a moment, but the relationship is night and day.
CC: Does that tell what’s going to happen in the season 7? Does that mean this story will go on? Without spoiling what’s going to happen… Will this love story go on?
SB: Yeah. We will explore more the delicacy and the fragility of what it is like to try to engage in a relationship, and be able to exist independently as a team and as a couple.
CC: Can we think there will be a season 8?
SB: No. No. I’m finished! I’m actually finished. I’ve shot… finished. I’ve finished the whole show. We've finished the 7th season. I've finished shooting. I’m now sort of… it’s now the past for me. So this is very… This is very sentimental for me. Nostalgic.
CC: For the French audience too. We hope we’ll see you in other movies or series.
SB: Yeah, no, I’m not going to disappear. Don't worry.
CC: Thank you for coming to see us, we're very pleased, for the 40 years of TF1, it was a great occasion. Than you.
SB: Lovely to talk to you, thanks.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Monday, 09-Feb-15, 12:33 PM

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz