Monday, 13-May-24, 6:44 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 22-Apr-15, 9:08 PM | Message # 796
Fair Dinkum

Translation for SimonBaker's interview with Elle Magazine Spain

Source: thaysquint.tumblr.com/post/117051833536/simon-baker-interview

Simon baker has two great treasures: his smile and his family. We spent a morning in Paris with the gentleman of Givenchy

Simon Baker (Australia, 1969) could have been one of those actors with a messy love resume, eventful life and a list of oddities that could put an air of extravagance to his famous status. But instead, the star of the television series The Guardian (2001-2004) and The Mentalist (2008-2015), Anne Hathaway’s romantic interest in The Devil Wears Prada (2006) and co-star of Kevin Spacey, Kim Basinger and Russell Crowe in LA Confidencial (1997) decided to be a man of one woman, (together with Rebecca Rigg since, when at 22, they met on a blind date) and adapt his life and work plans to their three children (Stella Breeze, Claude Blue and Harry Friday).
He is a surprisingly normal guy. Rather, a gentleman. That is the reason Givenchy chose him two years ago as Gentlemen Only ambassador, a saga of fragrances to which is now added Gentlemen Only Casual Chic, woody, spicy chords and a scent that fits like a glove Simon himself: “it’s the one that goes best with me, classic but with a sparkle.”
Perfect description for the handsome with an irresistible smile (known in Hollywood as Smiley), cautious look and seductive character. But, to the relief of Mrs. Baker, is no more than a strategy to preserve his spirit of young surfer. At least that’s what he says…

You just closed one of the most important stages of your life with the end of The Mentalist. What do you think of this achievement?
I’m proud to know it’s been seven years and 151 episodes being leaders of audience. Sometimes I think we could still keep rolling, because small independent histories format can continue for as long as you want. But it’s not my style. I need to continue to grow, explore new genres and get into risk projects that challenge me.

And what is the next challenge you’re planning to face?
The one in which I’ll direct and act my own movie, that we will start to shoot, if it all goes as I hope, at the end of the year in Australia. It is a great personal challenge and a very ambitious project, let’s see how it goes…

So you left your residence in the United States to return to Australia. Did you move to stay?
It will be temporary. We are very happy with the change, but my wife and I have a pact: six weeks in Australia and one in Europe.

Does she always accompanies you on your travels?
Most of the time she’s with me. It’s a good balance. I’ve always had my family support when moving. When I said yes to The Mentalist, a lot of people were surprised, because after filming the series The Guardian I had commented that I would not do television again. That I preferred the movies. But the big screen requires you to travel a lot and, after doing it for a while, I realized that, for a family to work, you need to be home. My children were very young, they were in school age; continue with that rhythm would not be the responsible thing to do. So I chose to return to dinner with them every night.

How is Simon Baker as a father? Have you caught vices of your role in The Mentalist and are you a little detective?
In that aspect I’d say I’m like Patrick Jane. I am really intuitive and I have a good eye to realize that someone at home is concerned about something. I like going straight to the point. Women, however, love talking about everything that happens and going in circles. Men are more practical, we try to find the shortest path.

Who bears the education your children?
After having our second child, my wife dedicated herself completely to the family. I think the role of a mother is key when transmitting certain values to the children and to establish a pattern of behavior that will soon be repeated when they’re away from home . The way a boy treats his mother gives you many tips on how he’ll be with other people. The interesting thing about parenting is that inadvertently you become a key figure in the life of another person. It’s not something that will happen intentionally: it occurs naturally.

And does your marriage works just as easily?
It is a different kida of love. Therefore, you must work on it every day of your life. We must be faithful to the commitment we acquired with the other person and be aware of their needs. It is very easy to play dumb and not be aware of what your partner needs. It is a constant exercise of giving and receiving. This does not mean that you have found the formula to it to be eternal, but the fact that you want it to be so helps.

Why do you think your family situation is so strange among your professional colleagues?
Fame is a dangerous weapon. You receive a lot of attention everywhere and sometimes it can confuse you. The allure that success gives you is very fascinating if you know hot to enjoy it. But after the moment pass you must make sure you have built a solid family to come back to and help you connect with the rest of society. Both my wife and I came from broken homes and, as we suffered a separation, we do not want our children to go through the same thing. My family is my greatness achievement and I fight to make it a perfect aspect in my life.

All this has much to do with your “normal guy” fame…
That’s who I am. I don’t need to be contemplated; in fact, it seems a bit absurd, and there are situations that borders on the ridiculous. I understand that people stop me on the street, that they ask me for an autograph or want to take a picture with me. It’s all part of the unwritten contract you sign when you chose a public profession. There are always small sacrifices to do. However, I know that people do not approach me, but the person they think I am. The worse about being famous is to see how people change when they are with me. As I said, I am a very observant and I notice that when someone is in my sights they behave in a completely different way. That tells you a lot about people and I do not like that at all.

Is that why you always wear glasses?
Mainly it’s because I need them. But I also recognize that they are a good psychological barrier that puts a distance between the character and who I really am.

What can you tell us about the real Simon?
There are things I prefer to remain a mystery, but I would define myself as a lucky person struggling to make things right.

When Givenchy called you to be an ambassador for their fragrances Gentlemen Only, what do you think they were looking for?
The fashion and beauty world were two territories that I had never explored. I knew it very superficially, but working for such a strong brand has been a very enriching experience and I’ve learned a lot. They’ve let me have a saying in the campaigns and propose ideas! Givenchy fits perfectly with my idea of luxury: it is basic, but has a design concept very interesting.

Speaking of beauty, are you a smug person?
No.

Sounds pretty convincing, but is that true?
Yes … (he thinks for a second). Why, you don’t believe me?

No, no, I believe you… But you haven’t stopped looking in the mirror a minute for the entire session!
Just to make sure I was not disguised! (Laughs). I really do not look at the mirror to see if I’m handsome or not. I just wanted to check that I was still me. Sometimes they use you as a mannequin, and I already have a certain age (touché! Although I do not really believe, answer accepted).

But you have a beauty routine, right?
Sure! It is very basic: everything I can eat health I do and I swim every morning in the ocean, plus I surf in the afternoon, but I don’t obsess. I use moisturizer, sunscreen and perfume. Choosing the right fragrance puts me in a good mood. There are people who resort to it to seduce; I, however, do it to feel good and be relaxed. I put this new version of Givenchy’s before leaving home and without being a blatant fragrance, I know it’ll be accompanying me for the rest of the day.

So the idea of growing old does not scare you?
Come on, come on … I’m a guy and I am 45! Being an actor does not mean you have to be handsome. Or it shouldn’t …

How do you use social networks?
I have only account on Instagram (snappytoes) because I love photography and is a platform where you can post a picture without saying a word. I don’t see the need to be online or communicate my thoughts every minute. This is something that from a generational viewpoint, its separates me from my children. For youngsters and some adults, social networks are their way to communicate and the only tool they believe that gives them voice.

But when you want to send a message they can become a truly powerful tool …
Yes of course. They are much faster, and to put your name on certain projects makes them more noticeable.

You mean to charity projects?
That is a very intimate subject. I don’t talk about the charity projects that I collaborate, but you can google them (cooperates along with his wife in Artists for Peace and Justice and Mending Kid). Sometimes I think that celebrities believe, that for being a celebrity they need to be part of an ONG and above it all they need to tell everybody about it.

The time to interview Simon Baker was over and Givenchy PR asks where he’d like to have his dinner reservation. “When I find my wife I’ll ask her, but a sandwich from the service room always seems to be a good choice.”
Like I said: a very normal guy.

marta75 Date: Wednesday, 22-Apr-15, 10:43 PM | Message # 797
Rip Snorter

Thank you DS ! nothing really new but the style of the interview is interesting, very direct.

Green Date: Wednesday, 22-Apr-15, 11:28 PM | Message # 798
Surfie

Thanks, been wanting to see the translation. A very normal guy, indeed.

kim Date: Wednesday, 22-Apr-15, 11:47 PM | Message # 799
Bee's Knees

Thanks much for the translation! Interesting interview. As has been said, not a lot of new information, but it feels different somehow. He seems very frank and unrehearsed in some of the answers. He really has been an amazing role model for others in the industry on how to balance work and family.

DaboGirl Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 4:46 AM | Message # 800
Jillaroo

Thank you. I love Simon interviews he manages to be open and honest and still keep a mystery about him. cool

Tina Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 7:42 AM | Message # 801
Fair Dinkum

Thank you so much for the translation!

bee Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 7:56 AM | Message # 802
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP a great interview that only confirms what a devoted and loving couple Simon and Rebecca are. Their commitment to each other and their family is truly inspiring and I have no doubt that their children will grow to be well-rounded and confident individuals.

amanda Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 9:38 AM | Message # 803
Cobber

Thank you so much DSP for the translation biggrin

Deedee Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 11:06 AM | Message # 804
Bee's Knees

Thanks DSP for the translation. A very good interview.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 4:54 PM | Message # 805
Fair Dinkum

On 21 and 22 April, Sydney (and of course Bondi Beach) was hit by a huge storm. A flood and then a sand storm. Sand covers everything. Power was cut. Impressive.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/asia/sydney-severe-weather-flooding/

Sydney storm erodes sandy beaches, giving a taste of the future

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 5:02 PM

Ivana Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 5:29 PM | Message # 806
Fair Dinkum

Thanks DSP for translation

bee Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 5:54 PM | Message # 807
Fair Dinkum

WOW! Such dramatic weather....hope Simon, family and friends are all OK. Wonder if Simon will post some pics on instagram?

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 6:16 PM

Tanja Date: Thursday, 23-Apr-15, 7:28 PM | Message # 808
Rip Snorter

Thanks for translation!

Ivana Date: Friday, 24-Apr-15, 5:14 PM | Message # 809
Fair Dinkum

COSMOPOLITAN MAY 2013 SIMON BAKER Q & A FOR GIVENCH ( iPad )

http://sarapettarini.tumblr.com/post....q-a-for

Message edited by Ivana - Friday, 24-Apr-15, 5:15 PM

Ivana Date: Friday, 24-Apr-15, 5:33 PM | Message # 810
Fair Dinkum

Bigger picture Simon took (from the article above)
thanks to sarapettarini

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz