Friday, 03-May-24, 4:07 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Simon News, Articles, Info
kim Date: Tuesday, 04-Nov-14, 11:52 PM | Message # 496
Bee's Knees

Thanks for the interview link Fran. I hope that we are misinterpreting the comments about Breath and that he is still going to be in the movie as well as directing.

Deedee Date: Wednesday, 05-Nov-14, 0:18 AM | Message # 497
Bee's Knees

Thanks for the interview Fran. Breath would be a big venture for him and presumably take him back to Australia to film. He probably now feels too old to take on the part of Sando which is a shame but the character is in his early thirties and It looks like he wants to flex his creative muscles in directing. First a long deserved rest.

Fran Date: Thursday, 06-Nov-14, 7:36 PM | Message # 498
Fair Dinkum

Quote Deedee ()
He probably now feels too old to take on the part of Sando which is a shame but the character is in his early thirties

I think you're right, but it seems to me that most adaptations make changes to plot and characters, sometimes so significant that they're barely even recognisable. Whilst I wouldn't want to see Simon go that far, I don't feel it would be a major problem to make Sando about 10 years older.

Hayseed Date: Thursday, 06-Nov-14, 11:08 PM | Message # 499
Bee's Knees

He may not be comfortable doing a lot of major surfing any more. Could be dangerous.

Tina Date: Friday, 07-Nov-14, 8:57 AM | Message # 500
Fair Dinkum

I've seen quite a few books filmed with characters that aren't even close to the ones in the book. Simon in casual look can easily look like in his 30s. And I don't think this makes much difference for the character even if he looks a bit older. When I read the book, Sando is Simon for me. He looks so much like the character, and he is a surfer! I really would love to see him in this part. Otherwise it would be a huge disappointment. I was so much looking forward to see him surfing in a movie, I mean we only have this few moments in Smith to see him surf, maybe some seconds of other surfing clips, but a movie with him as a surfer, would be so special.

kim Date: Friday, 07-Nov-14, 5:52 PM | Message # 501
Bee's Knees

Tinamarianne I totally agree with you. Simon can easily pass for thirty something. And it doesn't matter to the story anyway if there's an age change. I really hope that he feels up to the part. It would mean more great shots of Simon surfing!!!!! When I read the book I also thought of Sando as being Simon. I really hope that he feels like he has the energy to do both jobs for this film.

Ivana Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 11:10 PM | Message # 502
Fair Dinkum

Simon Baker on family and why marrying his wife was the best decision he ever made

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health....e,34211

As his time on the hit show The Mentalist draws to a close, Aussie golden boy Simon Baker talks about the key to his success and happiness: family

It’s a well-documented fact that having solid relationships contributes to a long and healthy life. And love? Being surrounded and supported by it is one of the greatest keys to happiness. Based on that, actor Simon Baker is looking well-placed right about now. To say this is a man who values family above all else feels like an understatement.

“It will feel so good to be able to spend more time at home,” he says of his plans for life after The Mentalist, the seventh and final season of which will air in the US in early 2015, with Australia to follow. “More than anything I want to dedicate my time to my family,” he adds.

Baker, 45, is dad to daughter Stella, 21, and sons Claude, 16, and Harry, 13 – and has been with his wife, Australian actress Rebecca Rigg, for more than 20 years. He calls his kids his “pride and joy” and talks about how meaningful it is for him to “see them happy and growing up to be individuals who have a good outlook on life”.

As for his wife, she’s “the greatest woman any man could ever hope to make a life with”, he says, adding that “marrying her was the best decision I ever made”.

How kids helped his career

Baker was 24 when Stella was born, so he already had a young family when he moved to the US in the late 1990s to carve out an acting career. While he admits the pressure to provide was “worrying” to him earlier in his life, he considers his family as the key to his success in the industry, rather than an impediment.

“When we arrived, I had a child and responsibilities. As a result, I viewed the concept of success as being able to provide for my family,” he told GQ Australia earlier this year. “To achieve this, I had to deliver consistent performances, be professional on and off set… my circumstances have never allowed me to be selfish and that’s contributed to the success we’ve had in America. There was no time when I was just working for my own ends and this made a huge difference.”

Choosing television over film was a conscious decision so that he could remain close to his family. “One of the main reasons why I decided to focus on television was to stay in LA and not spend several months every year shooting in New York or some other place,” he says. Now that his stint as a leading TV man is coming to an end and his kids are a little older, Baker says he’s looking at new projects, possibly even directing a film (he directed several episodes of The Mentalist).

Relaxed outlook on life

In his own words, Baker is “driven and competitive” and always has been. “It’s an instinct that I’ve inherited from my father and brother who were good athletes,” he says. While he adds that intensity is essential to being successful in life, he’s learnt how to not let it take over.

“I took everything very seriously when I was starting out. But over the years that kind of thing just wears you down,” he says. “I’ve learnt to take myself less seriously and not get so wound up anymore. I save my intensity for my work rather than living with that kind of pressure.”

Surfing is a case in point. As a kid, he competed at state level but these days, he sees it as a source of energy. “I’d die without it,” Baker says. “I love the waves and feeling the energy of the ocean. I grew up in a small coastal town in northern NSW and I’ve been surfing since I was eight. It never leaves your blood.”

Things you didn't know about Simon

He’s open to taking career advice from his children
Daughter Stella convinced him to take the role of literary cad Christian Thompson in the 2006 hit movie The Devil Wears Prada. He’s said previously that Stella was 11 when she read the script and wanted him to do a film she could see with her friends.

He still romances his wife
“I feel that I need to keep courting my wife and she enjoys that dance we do. I love making romantic gestures, it’s part of the joy of being with such a wonderful woman,” he says.

He takes 15 minutes to get ready
Baker says he doesn’t have a strict grooming routine, but he always cleanses, moisturises and likes to look presentable.

He has no big regrets
When US interviewer Larry King asked what his one big regret in life was, Baker couldn’t give an answer. “My regrets are fleeting and I move on from them,” he said.

He didn’t know anything about money when he was starting out
“[Money] was never a good conversation in my house because there was always a lack of it,” Baker has said. “I didn’t even realise I had to file a tax return until after I left home.”

He can dance like Mick Jagger
Baker’s longtime friend and fellow actor Naomi Watts first revealed this quirky fact.

Simon's top tips

Keep your head level
“You may have incredible skills or an idea that’s going to revolutionise your world, but the minute you start to believe your own hype or take yourself too seriously, you undermine your chances of success.”

Don’t forget to relax
“Good things emerge from stepping back and switching off.”

Do what you love
“If you’re not fulfilled by what you’re doing now, find something else to do.”

kim Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 0:24 AM | Message # 503
Bee's Knees

Nothing new in this article- but it does reference possible interaction between Jane and Pike. Maybe Matt never saw Simon's sword play in "The Affair of the Necklace" Pike isn't the only one that has wielded a weapon....
http://cartermatt.com/140430....s-photo

Ivana Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 8:24 AM | Message # 504
Fair Dinkum

Scan of the new interview thanks to sarapettarini on tumblr
http://sarapettarini.tumblr.com/post....iew-d-x

Ivana Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 9:32 AM | Message # 505
Fair Dinkum

'I want to dedicate my time to my family’: Simon Baker dotes wife Rebecca Rigg and their three children after the end of The Mentalist is announced

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb....twitter

bee Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 12:34 PM | Message # 506
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Ivana and Kim for these articles. Just when I think I can't possibly love this man any more than I already do, these articles make me feel totally overwhelmed. His love and devotion to Rebecca and his children are an inspiration. I wonder though if Breath is to be filmed in Australia how this will affect the boys schooling. Will he be able to complete the film in the school holidays? I can't imagine he will want to leave his family behind in America for very long being as he says he wants to spend more time with them.

coral Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 2:04 PM | Message # 507
Cobber

I don't understand enough about the process to know if it's usual to film at different times of the year, but I wouldn't think he could do much during the main school holidays because there's a lot of rain in Margaret River at that time of year.
http://www.mronline.com.au/weather/weatherview.htm

Message edited by coral - Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 2:19 PM

Tina Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 2:47 PM | Message # 508
Fair Dinkum

I don't think he will be in LA so much anymore..maybe they move to Australia for a while. They did before TM came up. He has to go where the work is...so maybe the boys have to change school or have a private teacher for a while since Simon always wants to have his family around.
That was the good thing with TM that he had a job at one location but I guess that will change now...

Message edited by tinamarianne - Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 2:48 PM

redbird Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 3:34 PM | Message # 509
Dinkie-Di

I agree with you, Tinamarianne. I think Simon's days in LA are limited - at least for awhile. He loves Australia and he goes back every opportunity he gets. I expect that he'll be seen in many places around the globe - including the U.S. - since he loves traveling so much but I'm betting that he'll be calling Australia home base once The Mentalist ends. He's a huge star now whose almost limitless acting abilities have been out there for all the world to see for the past 7 years of The Mentalist. I can't imagine that he isn't getting presented with a lot more good scripts than ever before but it doesn't sound like he's interested right now. I think he'll go back to Australia, take some time off to enjoy his family, travel the world and then make Breath.

I do think that Breath will be made in Australia but I don't think it will be made anytime soon. I'm guessing that once The Mentalist ends, we won't see any new work from Simon for about 2 years - maybe longer. The Mentalist changed Simon's life. He's no longer the guy who had to work to take care of his family. Instead of working because he has to, he's now in a position to sign on to a project solely because it ignites his creative passion. Unfortunately, I think that means that we'll see one new Simon project every 1 or 2 years from now on. The days of seeing something new from Simon every week are now something to be truly cherished ..................

jazz Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 5:02 PM | Message # 510
Surfie

I wouldn't be surprised if he has another project of some sort on the go within 6 months or so, he has high energy levels and a quick recovery rate and as he's said he gets bored if his mind isn't kept busy. And Breath is very personal to him, for the past 5 years it must have been like an itch he couldn't wait to scratch, but I think the timing will depend on whether he's got everything in place to enable him to proceed. I think they'll continue to mainly split their time between USA and Australia, last time they made Australia their base they missed their life and friends in America, and I think those feelings would be even stronger now.

Forum » Simon / Fun / Videos » Simon News & Chat » Simon News, Articles, Info (Part 2: from 1 March 2014)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz