Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 2:49 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 01 Nothing But Blue Skies (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
01 Nothing But Blue Skies
kim Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 4:41 AM | Message # 46
Bee's Knees

LOVED IT!! I really liked the old tricks and feel of the crime solving in this opener. I also felt like the relationship was spot on with Jane and Lisbon. It really was adorable seeing Jane so happy. I also loved the little grin from Cho. My favorite line of the episode: "Give me some sugar" and the fact that it was from Jane to Cho!! Awesome. It will be fun to see where they take the Vega character.

Can't stop smiling now that they are back! Perfect end to a great weekend!

Fran Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 12:59 PM | Message # 47
Fair Dinkum

I thought it was a very good episode and enjoyed it, and agree with most of the comments above about the best bits. But you know, I watched it Friday morning and have now watched it several times, trying to work out why I didn't really love it.

The ep had many of the things I love about the show, and yet for me it had a rather grim undertone. One thing I didn't like was that none of the crime of the week characters were interesting to me, but there was something more fundamental which I couldn't put my finger on. Finally this morning, it came to me - the locations. One of the things I love about The Mentalist is that they often use stunning locations (even though they're sometimes faked). For me the beauty of the locations lifts the show and makes it feel different to the grim and grisly crime procedurals that I dislike. But there was no visual beauty in this episode (apart from people of course). That feels unusual to me and I hope it won't be a pattern for the season, because I think it spoilt my enjoyment of it.

Ivana Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 1:26 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

DS_Pallas, I agree with your review. Still smiling. Lots of smiling and charming Jane (and Simon) is a beautifull thing to see smile

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 1:38 PM | Message # 49
Fair Dinkum

@ Ivana
It seems there will be some dark clouds too in these blue skies in future episodes, but yes , smiling Lisbon and giddy Jane are great to see!

Here is an interesting review of NBBS from ImsonotMelville:

Nothing But Blue Skies for Everyone But the Victim- a Review

kim Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 2:19 PM | Message # 50
Bee's Knees

My only complaint with this episode was Simon's hair. Who did that to his hair!?? The man always looks good, even on a weekend in a t-shirt yet some how they managed to mess up his perfect hair.

redbird Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 2:39 PM | Message # 51
Dinkie-Di

I agree with Fran for the most part. I too have watched the first episode several times - including last night when it aired in the U.S. - and while I liked it, something kept me from loving it. Maybe it was the lack of the beautiful visual setting we saw so many times during the CBI days as Fran said but I'm not sure that's the problem for me. This episode was a season premiere and there was nothing extraordinary about it. The crime of the week seemed totally pedestrian to me despite the fact that it was really multiple crimes - the crimes themselves weren't extraordinary, the characters involved in the crimes weren't extraordinary and the way Jane solved them wasn't extraordinary. Nothing about the episode was special enough for a season premiere.

PJaneloke Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 4:46 PM | Message # 52
Surfie

Fran and Redbird, I watched it on Fri too and find it lacking....I thought it is my problem...with the high expectation for S7. I didn't want to say anything until I can watch it the second time. It has all the elements to make one of my favorite and yet some how nothing feels new in 7x01. I never expect I will say something like this for a TM premier...

June Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 6:50 PM | Message # 53
Bee's Knees

Good episode but not extraordinary. I expected much more from season 7 premiere. I loved the interaction between Jane and Lisbon, the fact that they don't play the obvious and leave everything to our imagination; Cho and Abbott were great as always. I like Vega. Pike... I felt sad for him. He's a gentleman but he was in the wrong place in the wrong time. The scene with Pike, Jane and Lisbon was fantastic, how each one of them deal with that awkward situation in their own way. The best scene along with the porch one. But the crime of the week and the resolution had no interest for me. Weak, disappointing, one of the worst in the series. I can't believe that Tom wrote this. I admit that for a moment I was afraid that being the last season the writers had relaxed, I hope not. Anyway, I wait for more and "better" next Sunday.

Quote kim ()
Who did that to his hair!??

Totally agree with you. Someone, I don't know who, makes possible what seems impossible, to make Simon's wonderful hair ugly.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 9:31 PM | Message # 54
Bee's Knees

I did also think that they should leave his hair alone, he does a better job himself.

marta75 Date: Monday, 01-Dec-14, 10:23 PM | Message # 55
Rip Snorter

This haircut is really strange : Short hair around the ears with a big strand at the top of the head. wacko I miss Simon's hair in season 1 and 2. A bit same as in season premiere 5.

redbird Date: Tuesday, 02-Dec-14, 1:06 AM | Message # 56
Dinkie-Di

Hadn't Simon just come back from shooting his latest Givenchy campaign when they started filming Season 7? If I recall correctly, Givenchy seems to like his hair in a more sleek, classic "gentlemanly" style. Maybe they had his hair styled. I do like the "gentlemanly" look but I like a bit more length to it. Shoot, who am I kidding? I love his hair best when its doing its own thing .......... he has the best man's hair in Hollywood.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 02-Dec-14, 9:13 AM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

I've watched only once yesterday and I admit I didn't get much of the story line because I was just so happy to see a new episode.

Another TG guest actress ...the woman with the red hair was the mother of the boy in a wheelchair who had to go to jail and was looking for a place for her son.

I really enjoyed watching, but I would have liked to a BIT more Jisbon. Not a lot of kissing or so, they did a good job to not making it too much like a romantic movie. But a bit more scenes with them alone. I really like this special thing that is going on between them. Hope we get to see more of it in the future episodes.

About feeling sorry for Pike ...I don't! He "stole" Lisbon from Jane, he knew there was something going on between them and tried to take her away, to DC! And then he accuses him not being able to make her happy ...she only gets Jane ..isn't that enough? Would be for me. And how does Pike know if Lisbon wants children, a family? He has known her for how long? A few months? I think Jane knows much better what she needs.

Anyway, so much looking forward to the next episodes.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 02-Dec-14, 1:10 PM | Message # 58
Fair Dinkum

Quote tinamarianne ()
About feeling sorry for Pike ...I don't! He "stole" Lisbon from Jane, he knew there was something going on between them and tried to take her away, to DC! And then he accuses him not being able to make her happy ...she only gets Jane ..isn't that enough? Would be for me. And how does Pike know if Lisbon wants children, a family? He has known her for how long? A few months? I think Jane knows much better what she needs.

Exactly what I think, Tina! You nailed it.

Well to be franck, not at the first time. I thought, "mmh, I was wrong about him, poor thing…".

But last sunday I rewatched the episode with my hubby, and then it cliked.
I thought "That guy, under the look of the good and caring boyfriend, gentleman and all, is so wrong. Win the heart of Teresa Lisbon was a love matter, but a challenge against Jane too, the potential rival.
And he thinks he knows exactly what is good for Lisbon, what she wants. But he didn't even see it was just his own idea of what a woman should want. He wasn't really interested in Lisbon's desires or needs. He just pushed her into agreeing with his own conception of the couple's life. So he had planned her future without her agreement, and without really realizing it.

And the question he asked Jane was clearly meant to hurt. Yes, it can be seen as the evidence of his concern for his beloved Lisbon (it may be, to some extent), but you can also see it as the manifestation of the bitterness of a man who is sure that his way is the only right way, and is hurt in his man's pride.

This scene is very well written, because you realize the two men were manipulative towards Lisbon — and Jane is no better than Pike.
But at the end, it's Lisbon who decides.
And I'm glad Szentgyorgyi wrote a Marcus Pike who was totally missing the point regarding his relationship with Lisbon, but however, wasn't a total jerk.

redbird Date: Tuesday, 02-Dec-14, 3:20 PM | Message # 59
Dinkie-Di

I originally liked Pike. I thought he was a good guy and I didn't mind him asking Lisbon to move to DC with him. But he lost me when he immediately proposed to Lisbon as soon as she agreed to go to DC. My first thought was: What a controlling, manipulative guy! My second thought was: ............. just like Jane. Lisbon apparently has a thing for manipulative, controlling men. The difference for me is that Jane and Lisbon have history. Even when Jane was being manipulative and controlling, I always knew that he cared deeply about her and that he would always be there to protect her and take care of her.

I loved the scene in the first episode between Jane and Pike. It is so unusual to see Jane being genuine and honest and he was both in that scene. Pike's question about Jane's plan for Lisbon was definitely designed to hurt and I loved that Jane doesn't have a plan for their relationship. Successful relationships aren't based on a plan - they don't require a wedding ring and babies. They're based on what feels right for the two people involved. I was so glad that Jane was honest with Lisbon about Pike's question and I loved that Jane seemed so apologetic and unsure of himself because he doesn't have a plan for the two of them. I also loved Lisbon's response - that doing whatever feels right is exactly the right thing for the two of them. Personally, I hope that we've seen the last of Pike.

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 07-Dec-14, 7:33 PM | Message # 60
Fair Dinkum

From http://www.spoilertv.com/2014....nd.html

Favourite scene of the week:

THE MENTALIST, "Nothing But Blue Skies", November 30, 2014, Actors: Simon Baker, Pedro Pascal, The Scene: Jane confronts Pike
Tonya Papanikolas: I thought this was a fantastic scene. It really did justice to the story to bring Pike back and wrap up the former situation between him and Lisbon. I thought it was realistic to see Teresa feeling awkward. But I really love that Pike ran into Patrick first before seeing Lisbon. Jane was so classy in dealing with the situation, which was very gratifying. His sensitivity and sympathy with Pike showed what a good man he is. Plus, it opened up a serious and important question for Jane. I thought the dialogue was great as Pike questioned what Jane was bringing to the relationship besides himself. That was a poignant question for Jane as he suddenly considered his future with Lisbon. Was he not offering her enough? I feel like he wants to give her everything so the suggestion that he wasn’t giving her enough hit home. This scene then set up the next one perfectly as Jane tells Lisbon about the conversation. That was a surprise – the Jane of the past wouldn’t have done that – but this showed how open he wants to be with her. He was earnest about admitting where he was and how he thought they should proceed. And it showed how much he cared. I love how he looked so relieved when she agreed they should just go with what feels right. She didn’t have concerns so he didn’t need to, either. Inadvertently Pike brought them closer.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Sunday, 07-Dec-14, 7:41 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 01 Nothing But Blue Skies (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz