Tuesday, 23-Apr-24, 10:56 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 13 White Orchids (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
13 White Orchids
Green Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 1:07 AM | Message # 31
Surfie

Does anyone know what music was playing during the dancing after the wedding? Loved the ending- a little corny, but very satisfying. I thought they combined the tension of the killer menace and the happy wedding prep very well.

Fran Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 1:55 AM | Message # 32
Fair Dinkum

Quote Green ()
Does anyone know what music was playing during the dancing after the wedding?

It says this in a recap article from TVGuide:
After a quick exchange of vows, the party began -- with dancing and selfies aplenty, set to the strains of Earth, Wind & Fire's "September."

http://www.tvguide.com/news....wedding

Excerpt from article:

TVGuide.com: When was the decision made to have Jane and Lisbon get married in the finale?

Bruno Heller: The romance between Jane and Lisbon kind of developed organically and naturally without anyone really thinking about it, to some degree. The beauty of being on the air for seven years is that the characters, in a very real way, become real. The love and family feeling on the set simply had to be transferred onto the screen. ...If we got the chance to end the show exactly as we wanted to do as opposed to hearing after the fact that we don't get another season, I always wanted to end with a very sincere and sunny, happy ending. Because that's what stories are for.

Robin Tunney: It never happens in life. It's got to happen on TV. (Laughs) ... It does give you an ending and it does give you an idea of what these people's lives are going to be after. An ambiguous ending, after this much commitment, [would be] hard. We owed it to [fans] to let them have some sort of security in the future of what was going to happen to these people.

It was great to see Rigsby and Van Pelt again.

Tunney: It was so perfect! There was no acting involved. You're so happy to see the people [again]. It was great.

Bruno, now that you're also acting as the showrunner on Gotham, how much of a hand did you have in the finale?

Heller: This season has been very much more in the hands of Tom Szentgyorgyi, who's been there pretty much almost from the start. He took over the writers' room for this season, and a lot of the credit for the new sort of sunny tone that we were able to put into the show this season is owed to him and the other writers. But, for the finale, it was very much a collaborative effort between me and Tom and Jordan Harper.

Robin, you said you had an idea for an ending that you pitched to the writing team?

Tunney: It was the worst idea ever. Clearly it's why I'm not a writer. Fans would have been furious. I just thought he should ask and then it should just cut and you don't know. Leave it sort of ambiguous. It would have been the worst idea ever. (Laughs) These poor people have followed the show for this long. Give them an ending! I'm mean-spirited, I guess.

Heller: That's nothing. Baker was saying, hey, how about we machine-gun them all as they're standing at the altar? It was like, 'Uh, we'll think about that one.' He was joking, of course - but only to a degree.

Robin, you've said previously that Teresa Lisbon is so defined by her work. What do you think has changed in her that made her accept Jane's proposal?

Tunney: So much of her life has been dictated by the ambition of her job and sort of living in a man's world. The idea of giving that all up for love feels scary. ... It's been an ongoing thing, and [Jane] really does want to go and have this other life together. ... [Now] she has something else, like a reason to go home. I think that's really amazing, and through that, she became more of a well-rounded human being. It was fun as an actor to see that there was a different side to her.

Fran Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 11:49 AM | Message # 33
Fair Dinkum

Excerpt:

Keller tracks the couple to the ramshackle cabin on the property and sneaks inside -- only to be greeted by a phalanx of FBI agents with guns, including Lisbon in her wedding dress. That scene was the last one the show filmed (the wedding and reception that close the episode were shot beforehand), and Tunney and "Mentalist" creator Bruno Heller say it was tough for everyone to keep their emotions in check, both on and off camera.

"It was a full-on, serious, dramatic scene," Heller tells Zap2it, "with like 200 [people] ..."

"A cast of thousands," Tunney adds.

"Some of them sozzled, directly behind the camera," Heller continues. "Chris Long, who has been producer-director on the show from the very beginning, was very emotional but getting quite grumpy with people who were sort of edging into camera range with red Solo cups. There was no alcohol of course, this being Warner Bros., but it was a very odd and unique situation to be in. You don't get to end with that kind of joy and family feeling and still have to shoot the bloody scene."

As you'd expect, the cast and crew let everything out once filming wrapped.

"It was very charged with emotion," Tunney says. "All of the post[-production] people, and the writers, everybody had come down for the big goodbye. Some fans had sent us an enormous cake with a sculpture of Simon and I on the top of it. It was emotional -- a lot of hugging, a lot of big feelings."

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs....2015-02

Fran Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 12:41 PM | Message # 34
Fair Dinkum

'The Mentalist' Series Finale Postmortem: Star, Creator on Jane and Lisbon's Future

Tunney and series creator Bruno Heller spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about how the planned ending for the series changed as the characters evolved, why Baker and Tunney needed to be coached on kissing and whether more new episodes could be in the cards for the series.

When did you decide that a wedding was in the cards for Jane and Lisbon? Has that been something you've hoped would happen for quite some time?

Heller: It's sort of like life because it's been going on so long — it's hard to pinpoint the moment where this ending seemed like the natural place to go. But over seven years, as we became family, this just became the natural consummation to be hoped for. We never knew whether we could get to that point because in show business, nothing is given for tomorrow. [I wanted to] say thank you to the audience by doing something heartfelt and real. The love you seen on the screen there is real, and that party at the end is like the cast and crew having a laugh and celebrating the show. So it's both art and reality there. It's such a blessing and a joy to be able to get to do that.

Tunney: With a television show, it spans over so much time, it does become like this living, breathing thing, and you adapt and adjust to who the human beings are in real life. That's why Bruno is so successful, the thing [of] seeing that and going, "This is what's going to organically work." You can't get hung up on what your ideas were to begin with.

Heller: Exactly. It's not so much being a great writer — it's certainly being able to use the platform and crutch of the actors. It's what they are doing on screen that's important, not what you think they should be doing. [But] I will say, as much as it's organic, Robin and Simon very much [have] brother and sister love. You have to push them: "Go on, snog her. Snog her! Do it properly." [Both laugh.]

Tunney: But we've known each other for so long! If we'd started making out [in] season one, [we] would have been, "Oh, yeah, that's what we do. We go to work, we make out." But [now] we're like, "Wait a minute!"

Heller: It was very funny. But even that is part of the characters. They're not rip-their-clothes-off, jump-in-the-hot tub kind of people. They're very guarded and independent. Even that aspect of the characters is true to real life.

Tunney: The thing that scared me about that a little was — look, the relationship was something that formed after six seasons of people knowing them a different way, and [we were] wanting not to force the closeness. Like, "They're together now — there's going to be pillow talk and lingerie." You don't want the audience to go, "Ew." [Laughs.] You've got to ease them into it, and the choices that everybody made worked in essence that we didn't get killed for it. We didn't want to freak the audience out. And Simon did not want to take his shirt off! I think America wanted that.

Heller: [Laughs.] It completely worked, this as a T-shirt and socks bedroom scenes, and not, "Hello, darling," type of bedroom scenes. Not just Robin and Simon [but] me and everyone else [on the crew] would have been, "Oh, my gosh!"

Tunney: Yeah, we didn't have a dungeon room like Fifty Shades of Grey. [Both laugh.]

Robin, how did you feel when you read the script and learned about the wedding and baby?

Tunney: I was just really thrilled — my character has been alone for so long and identified herself through her work and what she was doing for other people, that the idea that they gave her a happy ending and an optimistic ending and a baby is so nice. You can imagine a different life that's joyful and not filled with dead bodies. It's wonderful because I really loved the character, and the idea of imagining a happy ending for her is really the best-case scenario for me.

What was the mood like on the last day of shooting?

Tunney: I felt incredibly emotional. I was simultaneously excited and scared because I've grown really dependent on all the people as family for advice and camaraderie. The work schedule's so rigorous that you don't really have to make any decisions for yourself. Somebody tells you what time to wake up, what to wear, what to say. The emptiness that comes after it, like, "What do you do?" But I also think, it's sort of a different scenario for all three of us. Bruno's doing a new show [Gotham], and Simon and I both had very different, long careers — it wasn't our first job. The future is sort of like, "What's next?" It doesn't feel like something died that's a part of you.

Heller: The last day was bizarre and surreal because at the same time that it's a farewell, it's also a day's work. The scene in the log cabin where the serial killer busts in to find the assembled FBI there instead of his intended victims, that's the scene that was the last moment [on set]. Neither Robin nor me had ever had that experience before, of finishing a job of work which is also saying goodbye to family. I'll remember that for a long, long time.

Tunney: There was a lot of hugging and a lot of crying. It's just crazy. Simon's daughter Stella was 13 [when we started], and [now] she's graduating college.

What are you proudest of when you think back on the show's run and its legacy?

Tunney: I feel quite proud. I think we made a show that was quite popular and entertaining and different. I was able to work with a group of people that were incredibly talented but also equally great human beings — I don't think that's ever going to happen again. [Laughs.] It's really difficult — creative people, they're nuts. And a lot of times, they can be selfish. That you've got a group of amazing, caring human beings that want you to have a nice life — it just doesn't happen.

Sometimes, shows are able to leave a network and have a second life with new episodes airing on cable, as with CBS' Unforgettable, or on a digital platform. Is that something you would be open to?

Heller: That's entirely up to Simon and Robin. I would love to work with Robin again, I would love to work with Simon again. That's in the lap of the business gods and their choice. Robin can do anything she wants — she's a brilliant actor. Normally, at the end of shows, you're glad to see the back of everyone to some degree. Creatively and as family, I'd love to work with those guys again. And the show was still basically as successful at the end as it was at the beginning, so you can never say never.

Robin, would you be open to more episodes as well?

Tunney: Of course, and I also love the fact that we're going out with people still wanting more. I think it's the best way to finish.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe....-775122

redbird Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 1:11 PM | Message # 35
Dinkie-Di

Green: The song that everyone was dancing to after the wedding was "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire. A blast from my past and it was delightful to hear the song used in that context.

Peithon Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 3:10 PM | Message # 36
Rip Snorter

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/19/mentalist-ends-why-ending-worked

A very fair critique of the finale and series as a whole.

Wand6122360 Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 5:44 PM | Message # 37
Bee's Knees

Thanks for all the interesting posts. And I agree, Peithon, it is a very fair review, especially since it recognizes Simon Baker's contributions to a flawed but loveable TV show.

Green Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 7:53 PM | Message # 38
Surfie

Thanks, everyone, for the name of the song they were all dancing to. The fans come through, as usual!

redbird Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 9:00 PM | Message # 39
Dinkie-Di

Why is nobody giving their opinions on the finale? What they liked and what they didn't like .............

marta75 Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 9:32 PM | Message # 40
Rip Snorter

Quote redbird ()
Why is nobody giving their opinions on the finale? What they liked and what they didn't like .............

Certainly because we are all sad even the finale was beautiful. I'm not crying but I'm feeling empty and a bit lost.

marta75 Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 9:38 PM | Message # 41
Rip Snorter

Thank you Fran for all these interviews smile

bee Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 10:32 PM | Message # 42
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for the articles Fran and Peithon...very interesting. smile

kim Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 10:51 PM | Message # 43
Bee's Knees

Thanks for the interviews. I loved the final episodes and feel that they were a very thoughtful and hopeful ending to TM. I am still tearing up though when I think about it too much. I can really see Simon, the romantic, in the final scene. Gotta go get more tissue now.......

redbird Date: Friday, 20-Feb-15, 10:53 PM | Message # 44
Dinkie-Di

Actually, Marta75, I really didn't like the final hour of the finale. I thought that the first hour was really good. I loved seeing Jane do his "psychic" thing again. I thought that this episode gave us a much clearer picture of why Jane was such a hugely successful conman in his previous life than anything we'd seen before. It was really fascinating to see him at work. As for the second hour, I liked the proposal - Jane's explanation of why he had still been wearing his wedding ring was enlightening - and despite the fact that I thought I'd hate the wedding, I actually thought it was beautiful. It felt so natural and unforced - not like a TV wedding at all - and it seemed to contain actual joy from the people who were just playing roles.

The part that I hated was the final part. I haven't been a big fan of what the show did with Lisbon's character this whole final season but hiding the fact that she's pregnant until after the wedding was the last straw for me. What woman does that? Particularly when she's just finished teeing off on Jane about being 100% honest with her because he hadn't told her that the serial killer was still alive and was looking for him and would probably be crashing their wedding. Isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black? And what woman confirms her pregnancy to her husband by saying "I am"? Isn't the whole point of marriage that things become "we"? And the whole engagement ring thing - she actually accused Jane of getting her a ring with a fake stone. Then when she realized that the ring was real and had probably cost a fortune, she told him she couldn't accept it. Who is this woman? And why would any self-respecting man want to marry her?

Forgive me - I've just reached the end of my rope with the Lisbon character. I will miss Patrick Jane terribly but I am so glad that I never again have to listen to Teresa Lisbon talk about what she needs.

Message edited by redbird - Friday, 20-Feb-15, 10:55 PM

Tina Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 3:20 PM | Message # 45
Fair Dinkum

It's over..it's done...it still feels so unreal to me...
I was just reading the interviews...I'm so emotional...I feel for all of them, how hard it must have been for them to say goodbye..how did Simon feel when he left..his family already in Australia..and he knew he will not be seeing all these friends anytime soon because he left the US.. this is one thing that made this show so special...this whole team became a family...and it became our family as well...I feel a little bit like somebody has died...

I know I said I don't need to see the wedding, but now I'm SO !!! happy with the ending. It was like celebrating this show with them...I just love love love this whole final episode. I love Bruno for giving us this ending. I had my problems with Lisbon but this is forgotten now...seeing how happy she makes Jane. My beloved Jane...I love this character so much! I can't even put it in words what he and this whole show means to me.
He will stay with me for the rest of my life...I know I will never be in love with any other character like with Patrick Jane...never was before...
he is the best.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 13 White Orchids (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz