Tuesday, 16-Apr-24, 11:19 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 13 White Orchids (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
13 White Orchids
kim Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 4:00 PM | Message # 46
Bee's Knees

I know I will never be in love with any other character like with Patrick Jane...never was before...
he is the best.

Tinamarianne- I agree with you. I really loved how they did the wedding. It was all about joy. Everyone dancing and hugging, such a fun time they must have had filming it. I still feel really emotional, but my sadness is tempered by the joy that you see on Simon's face in those final scenes. It's hard to be sad when the character that I love is sooooo happy.

I also just want to express how much this site means to me. It is lovely to be able to come and vent about this show and how much I love it to other people that love it too. Thank you all!!! The eye rolling at home when I talk about TM gets tiresome. smile

Wand6122360 Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 4:15 PM | Message # 47
Bee's Knees

I enjoyed the subtle moments in the last 2 episodes the best. ... For example, Patrick's look of consternation while Lisbon was talking on the phone after having mentioned taking off the ring. And I thought it was beautiful that Lisbon didn't have to say "I'm pregnant" out loud. I think one of the points of that scene was to show how close they are, that words are hardly necessary. I'm glad she didn't mention the baby earlier.. It meant that Patrick's marriage proposal was based on pure love and not any practical baby concerns. He was totally ready to move on.

I've watched parts of the last 2 episodes multiple times, and now I miss the conflicted Jane. It's time to return to my rewatch of season 6.

bee Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 5:57 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

Haven't seen the finale yet (so I may be totally wrong here, if so forgive me) but having seen clips I have to agree with Redbird and I am also irritated by Lisbon's behaviour, it seems to have been all about her needs lately and it has been Jane who has been the one to compromise on most things. So he no longer fears for her safety now even though she still works for the FBI? I also found it difficult to understand his reasoning behind letting Lisbon have his wedding ring. He says his ring may have inadvertently brought them together (?) but it just seems weird to me that he lets her wear it around her neck. Just my opinion but I think he should keep the ring in a safe place together with the mementoes he has of Angela and Charlotte where it belongs.

Also, while I'm ranting on here....why wasn't Sam and Pete at their wedding? angry They are the closest Jane has to a proper family and they weren't invited? Most of the Lisbon clan were there, so why not them? Also thought it a little odd and selfish perhaps that she decided to enter the cabin complete with gun in her wedding dress knowing that she was pregnant! Anything could have happened in there!

Wasn't it Tom S. who said in an interview (about their future) that Lisbon would continue to work until 2 weeks before the birth and then resume work later with the FBI once the baby is born. No change there then! I think their future should have been left to the audience to imagine in whatever way they wanted. Personally I would have hoped that Lisbon would soften a little and realise that family are more important than work, it's not as if she needed to work, Jane probably has money stashed away. I can't see that she'd be bored looking after a young baby and who could be bored living with Jane! However, I can see Jane as a stay-at-home Dad and look after their child remembering how he missed out on Charlotte's short life through constantly working.

Sorry to rant on here but I needed to get that off my chest. OK I feel better now....until the next time! PS I shall miss Patrick Jane....

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 6:52 PM

Tina Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 6:20 PM | Message # 49
Fair Dinkum

bee, always good to rant a bit about things bothering ☺
I feel better after it too. But no negative feelings from me for the finale. I got the feeling that Jane might want to stay with the FBI too...it entertains him and I guess he likes chasing the bad guys. And he has to do something.
As for Pete and Sam missing...it was planned as a very small wedding with no guests and just a few days after the proposal. So maybe Pete and Sam just couldn't make it so fast.

bee Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 6:49 PM | Message # 50
Fair Dinkum

Yes Tina...I just felt I had to get that off my chest. Having said that I am glad that Jane found happiness with Lisbon at last, he deserved to find love and be loved again and the wedding was nicely done. I'm also so glad that he will have the chance to be a father again but I don't think he will make the same mistake of working long hours at the FBI if he has a child at home. He missed out on a lot with regard to Charlotte through putting work first. After all the best gift you can give a child is your time. If Jane is happy then I'm happy. I shall miss him though... Bruno may have created The Mentalist but it was Simon who created and gave us the many complex layers of Patrick Jane and I don't think there will ever be another character quite like him on our TV screens. I always wanted to give him a big hug after each episode! We have only seen Ep 2 in the UK so at least I'll see him for some time to come and I have my DVD's to comfort me in the future. Having said that I am looking forward to seeing Simon in some new roles too.

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 7:54 PM

Tina Date: Saturday, 21-Feb-15, 8:07 PM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

I feel the same bee. Always want to give Jane a hug. I already felt that watching The Guardian because I always felt so sorry for Nick and he was such a lovable person too. Simon has just this special way to portrait his characters. Right now, I'm still sad, but there is also a lot of happiness. About the ending, that Jane is finally is moving on. About Simon being able to play new roles now. And that I have my dvds and I can watch all the episodes again and again knowing what happens at the end of the show. That's a good feeling.

Thrill Date: Sunday, 22-Feb-15, 6:30 AM | Message # 52
Dinkie-Di

I've watch the finale 3 times now - I'm so happy with it - I think it wrapped the series very well. i was never a shipper but I think it all happened so naturally. I kinda feel empty at the moment but I will go back and start watching again at Season 1.....

There are so many different vids I want to make as well - I know there are a lot out there already. Soon....

Fran Date: Sunday, 22-Feb-15, 1:51 PM | Message # 53
Fair Dinkum

I enjoyed the episode very much, I loved the way it played out a bit like a romantic comedy, but with subtlety and genuine warmth, and I'm sure it left most of the audience feeling very contented.

Like some others, I had been concerned about how the wedding would play out, but I loved that part, it seemed so natural, there was nothing laboured about it, it was short and very sweet without becoming syrupy - great editing and directing by Chris. I thought the scene choosing the wedding dress was brilliantly funny, and I also loved the little clip at Abbott's house where Jane kept kissing Lisbon on the lips while she was talking. But my favourite scene was probably Abbott and Jane on the couch, their friendship has been a real highlight for me this season.

I also loved the concept of Jane going full-circle, with echoes of a TV appearance about a serial killer, and ending with Jane pretty much back where he started, but as a better man, with all the goodness that was inside him having made its way to the surface.

I agree with both Redbird and Wanda about the pregnancy scene, and I think it shows what a minefield scripting a Finale can be. I think they wanted it to end with Jane wonderfully happy with a new family, and as Wanda pointed out it was important that the audience was in no doubt that Jane proposed to Lisbon out of love and not because of a baby. But having the scene after the wedding showed Lisbon in a poor light, not practicing what she preaches about openness and honesty. Personally, I think they made the right decision because I think it was a very important message to send to the audience, and it also provided a touching final scene.

But I do agree wholeheartedly with Bee about Angela and Jane's wedding ring. Despite Simon's superb performance in that scene, I just couldn't embrace the thought process behind it. Perhaps I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I feel that ring represents the love between Patrick and Angela, it was personal to them and I think it should remain so. To do otherwise is in my opinion disrespectful to her memory.

I wanted a happy ending for Jane and that's what I got. But, even though I'll enjoy watching this episode again and again, I'm afraid there's still a part of me that can't help feeling a little disappointed that it was all such a cliché, even though thankfully the understated style didn't follow the typical cliché stereotype. But to give fans what they want means giving them a cliché, and although I tend to blame twitter, I know I'm being unfair because this is nothing new. Even 150 years ago writers like Dickens were changing their stories to align with the wishes of their readers, and no doubt then as now, the people who shout the loudest are the ones who are heard.

If I'd just been a casual viewer I would probably have been totally happy with everything, but having followed Jane for 7 years I've come to care about his future and so needed to be convinced that this was the right life choice for him. But they failed to convince me, so I still feel a little uncertain about that. What I've been seeing, particularly in the last few weeks, is 2 people who love each other but want different lifestyles and have different horizons, so I'm not sure I can envisage them sharing a lifestyle that will make them both happy. This was particularly apparent when Jane was showing Lisbon his house project, I felt so sorry for him, he was so enthusiastic about it and she couldn't or wouldn't share that, and just changed the subject to her needs.

I had been concerned that they wouldn't be able to resolve these differences, although I was still hoping they would come up with a brilliant and satisfying solution. But in fact they dodged the issue, leaving the audience to speculate on what shape Jane and Lisbon's future would take. I found it interesting that from the post-Finale interviews it's clear that Tom and Robin had different views about this. I find myself agreeing with Tom, partly because of his role on the show, but mainly because the message I've been receiving is that Lisbon is defined by her job, so it seems very unlikely that she would be prepared to change it for the sake of her baby any more than she was prepared to change it for the sake of the man she loves.

sylvia5993 Date: Sunday, 22-Feb-15, 5:56 PM | Message # 54
Bee's Knees

You nailed it Fran. I agree it was much too well packaged to give it even the illusion of a great future. They made Lisbon into a selfish go getter and Jane into a wimp. The Baby news was just another sprinkle on the sundae. Shippers got their Cinderella ending, but not so realists.

Tina Date: Monday, 23-Feb-15, 9:12 AM | Message # 55
Fair Dinkum

I know some of you aren't happy with anything in the finale episode, but I am. I'm happy with every little scene in that episode. I know it might not be all realistic, but it's a fictional tv show and what tv show is a 100% realistic? I can't name one.
I'm so happy they gave us this ending, and I really left, like Bruno promised, happy and content. Well, of course also sad because the series is over, but it couldn't go out any better for me. Didn't Simon say he wrote the final scene? So it was his idea that Lisbon is pregnant. I really liked it that they didn't even have to say it ..."you are?" "I am". I really loved that. I don't know when I will be able to watch these final scenes without getting wet eyes ...it's just so emotional and wonderful. Maybe never.

My favorite scene, I must say, it's the one with the ring and the proposal. Yes, maybe he should have kept the ring, but it's also a sign that he is ready to let the past go and look to the future. And how Simon acted this scene ... it was just perfect for me. Maybe I love this also so much because Jane one more, one last time left the jacket and was just in shirt with rolled up sleeves and the vest. My favorite outfit on Jane, I just love how Simon looks in that vest.

I think Lisbon was really happy. Yes, she is difficult, and she really was very annoying sometimes (I will never get over it how she treated Jane after Pike showed up, and at the end of Season 6 when she sat in that plane saying "it's too late". I could have kicked her!) and they sure will have their problems, but I think they'll work it out.

The other scene that is so special to me is how Simon acted the scene after Jane kissed the pride. How he raised his arms in the air and this big smile and the hugs and how he lifts Robin up ...it also seemed to me that Simon said "I did it, I finished the show, I'm free now". I know he sure was very very sad and emotional that it's over, but also happy to move on, to finish this show while it's still so loved and successful all over the world.

As for the moment Lisbon tells Jane about the baby ... I think it's perfect timing. We don't know how long she knew about it, maybe she just learned it herself, and I can imagine she wanted to be 100% sure before telling Jane ...and with the serial killer out there there wasn't really a right moment to tell him ..it was like a wedding gift for him.
And I'm sure she couldn't have given him anything better.

I loved how Rigsby and Van Pelt danced over the floor, they seemed to be so happy too. The selfie of them with Cho ... Jimmy dancing there with the others, Karl...
I can imagine how they all felt ..it must have been a very touching emotional time for all of them.

And this is why this show worked so well ...because you feel how they respect and love each other behind the camera ...this is so special ...and I think one of the reasons is Simon, you have to love him, and this love to him spreads to the others. He is such a special person, I don't think there are many like him out there ...anybody who get to work with him is blessed ...

The final episode definately is one of my all time favorites. It's so different in a way to the TM we know...and I ask myself while watching like with My Blue Heaven, is this really "The Mentalist"? I will watch this episode many times, and then I will watch the whole 7th season, I really love this final season. And then I go back to the old episodes. Watching me through the seasons again and again.
Jane will always stay in my life, I'm pretty sure of that ...

And now I will have a cup of tea, "The Freshness of Australia", a herbal tea I really like, in my CBS Patrick Jane teacup ...

June Date: Monday, 23-Feb-15, 2:13 PM | Message # 56
Bee's Knees

The Mentalist is over and I'm very satisfied with the way they did it. I'm happy. I want not to analyze if it was more or less realistic, it doesn't matter. I've enjoyed this series for seven years, it has been very special for me for many reasons, to be part of this wonderful site is one of them. I liked both episodes, specially the feeling of full circle, the show starts with a tortured man because of the loss of his wife and daughter and ends with this man, redeemed and happy with a new family, a wife and the promise of a child. Is not what all this was about? Light overcomes darkness. The final part was emotional. I love the scene of Jane waiting for Lisbon and then, walking together to their cabin with the gorgeous Blake Neely's music there, as always. The wedding scene is perfect. Lisbon telling Jane she's pregnant, too. Simon and Robin's acting is so natural! The contagious joy of the wedding and the dance later is priceless. The genuine Simon's smile is the icing on the cake. A real gift for fans, in my opinion. And for me.
"September" is one of my favorite songs and thanks to The Mentalist, I'll never listen it in the same way.

Message edited by June - Monday, 23-Feb-15, 4:55 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 23-Feb-15, 5:16 PM | Message # 57
Bee's Knees

Wow, nice words June! I agree with them 100%.

kim Date: Tuesday, 24-Feb-15, 5:17 AM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

Quote tinamarianne ()
I'm happy with every little scene in that episode.

Tinamarianne, I thought that I was almost past the tears when I think about TM, but no. You said it so well how I feel that I was tearing up again just reading your post. I need to get some of that tea you mentioned.
wink

bee Date: Tuesday, 24-Feb-15, 12:35 PM | Message # 59
Fair Dinkum

The only regret I have about TM is that we never heard anything about Jane's mother. Did she just leave/die? How old was Jane at the time? I would loved to have learnt a little about her and how her leaving/dying impacted on Jane's life at the time and would it have made a difference to his life if she had been there for him while growing up? Guess we'll never know but it's strange that she was never mentioned at all. (sigh).

Tina Date: Tuesday, 24-Feb-15, 2:08 PM | Message # 60
Fair Dinkum

I agree bee. Would have loved to learn about Jane's mother and also what happened to his father. Still a lot of mystery about Jane ...so many things we don't know.
Maybe ...some day ..they decide to clear this up. I know it's unlikely, but I don't give up hope for a reunion movie some day ...seeing what happened to all of them.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 7 » 13 White Orchids (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz