Friday, 26-Apr-24, 0:41 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 05 Red Dawn (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS (filmed as 5.06, 100th episode))
05 Red Dawn
Fran Date: Thursday, 11-Oct-12, 11:22 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

"Red Dawn” — See how Jane met Lisbon and the rest of the CBI team for the first time, on the 100th episode of THE MENTALIST, Sunday, Oct. 28 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Gregory Itzin ("24”) Returns as CBI Director Virgil Minelli, Polly Walker ("Rome”) Returns as FBI Agent Alexa Schultz

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Gregory Itzin (Virgil Minelli)
Polly Walker (FBI Agent Alexa Schultz)
Gary Basaraba (Stephen Hannigan)
David Clennon (Judge Dellinger)
Ian Anthony Dale (Det. Nathaniel Kim)
Amanda Clayton (Kelly Burbage)
Ryan Ahern (Emmet Cox)
Kirk Acevedo (Christian Dos Santos)
Norma Maldonado (Delores Recinos)
Aramis Knight (Alex Dos Santos)
Christopher Carver (Winston Dellinger)
Kevin Corrigan (Robert Kirkland)
Scott Vance (Records Clerk)

WRITTEN BY: Tom Szentgyorgyi
DIRECTED BY: Chris Long

Peithon Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:18 AM | Message # 2
Rip Snorter

Did we just see Red John? Lifts jaw off floor...

justlook3 Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:48 AM | Message # 3
Bee's Knees

Okay, first things before "Is she Red John's friend? Or was she doing a favor for a friend and not realize who he was? And was that Red John?"
I really liked how everyone got a "several years earlier" makeover. Even Karl! I liked how the bullpen looked different (I see elements of the pilot there). I love the advent of both Lisbon's old couch and Jane's couch. I loved that they even remembered older phones.
The case was kinda boring (as they've all been this year). It was interesting to see Jane's transformation from timid to the more confident Jane we see today. One quibble though was Van Pelt's mention. This still would have been a good four years before she joined the team. But I suppose we could pretend that maybe she was just a pool of candidates and someone else was chosen for the mean time.
I kinda have to digest what was going on at the end.
Also Karl was great in his scene!

bee Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 11:38 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

This episode is a gentle reminder, if any were ever needed, why I love and admire Simon. His portrayal of Jane, fresh from the mental asylum, before the mask was put in place, was quite distressing. Here was a grief-ridden, disheveled man whose pain and suffering was palpable to see. He came across as a fragile human being that could break at any moment.

Simon's ability to convey such utter sadness and despair, simply by looking into his eyes, never ceases to amaze me. No dialogue is necessary. The meeting with Lisbon was intense and I felt some sort of empathy with him on her behalf immediately. I also noted that although Jane appears a tortured soul he is always polite! It was amusing to see the team's indifference to him (especially since we now know they are like family). Jane looked so lost! Loved Cho's "Lego" hair, not sure about Rigsby's goatee!!

The case of the week was intriguiing. Jane's reluctance to help Lisbon saying he was a charlatan and Lisbon being desperate to find the killer not believing him and asking for his help was quite amusing especially seeing his "performance" of pseudo psychic powers. The party trick with the tarot cards was impressive. I admit I had my suspicions about the killer.

Cherished Moments
Jane saying to Lisbon..."Teresa Lisbon, that's a nice name".
That hug...so genuine
Jane leaning against the couch in the file room.
Jane asleep on his couch in the bullpen

Oh what the hec! All the scenes with Simon...

I'm wondering why Minelli didn't tell Lisbon about Jane being in a mental asylum...perhaps he thought she wouldn't work with him if she knew. I don't think that was RJ at the end though. Didn't Bruno say that we have seen RJ in past episodes? Driving around in a limousine...could that man possibly have something to do with Brett Stiles and Visualize? Which could also be connected to RJ? Not liking Alexa!!

Lastly, it's beyond belief that Simon has never won an Emmy....this was surely a performance worthy of an award!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 29-Oct-12, 11:48 AM

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 1:05 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

I loved the episode, and agree with all you have said about the acting.

I hadn't spotted Karl until I read what you wrote Justlook3.....I THOUGHT he looked familiar!!

The scene where he does his 'party trick' was great, well acted by both Simon and Robin....he started out so reluctant, and so....clunky!! no sign of the smooth master manipulator we know and love, then as he got going, he sort of fell into the patter, and the pleased look on his face at the end.

It made me laugh that Rigsby was being sucked in to the routine....closing his eyes and imagining his scary dream....completely in character for him.

I didn't like Shultz in episode 1, and now I know why.....not a nice woman. I also wondered if this was RJ..... he DOES look very ordinary

As the saying goes......The plot thickens!!

Green Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 2:55 PM | Message # 6
Surfie

I agree with all that's been said- Brilliant performance by Simon. The case of the week plot was thin, but needed to be - After all, his first case, he couldn't do any complicated crime solving scheme, he hadn't the confidence or team backing yet. I need to watch it again. I'm new to this, so I must ask- which one was Karl? I follow him on Twitter, but wouldn't recognize him.

Lena Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 3:00 PM | Message # 7
Dinkie-Di

Fantastic episode I enjoyed it so very much.
Simon acting was simply perfect, he has superbly showed Jane in a way vulnerable and fragile.
Today we see Jane that hides his emotions and this made me think about the episode "Red Moon" when he said to Todd Johnson “do not let people see what's in your heart”.
I liked every scene of Jane and the team and I loved so much the end scene when Lisbon looks with great tenderness Jane sleeping, she seemed to felt much affection for him to silence Cho to not wake him.
I appreciated that they put in the episode a little reference to Van Pelt.
I agree about Shultz I don't like her, but I don't know what to think about the man in limousine with her, he could be a Red John's friend.

Thrill Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:05 PM | Message # 8
Dinkie-Di

wow - just watched it twice now - Simon is so talented - I was really feeling his pain tonight. The judge saying - "if you want to hurt a man dont kill him, kill his family" and PJ trying so hard not to react. Question.. Did PJ set up the whole punch thing so that the CBI would be indebted to him and may help him more. If so was he playing dumb and vulnerable but was really much more on the ball and ready to take every advantage. After all he did very successfully get into the group - although he probably didnt expect Minelli to actually hire him.
Simon had me utterly convinced that PJ was fumbling along and very unsure of himself and vulnerable - its only afterwards I am wondering if it was a bluff by PJ - what a performance yet again from Simon.
Bruno said this was one for all the fans - and it was... Sweet dreams for me tonight!!
ps I'm not sure which one Karl was either..... - yeh just checked him out on IMDB - I think he was the other detective in the interview room when Emmet Cox was being interviewed?????

Message edited by Thrill - Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:14 PM

justlook3 Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:22 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Yes, Karl was the other detective in the room with Madigan and Emmet Cox. You see Karl from time to time in the background. Most recently he was in Not One Red Cent, he was the agent that came out from under the rail car with Cho. Usually they use him in scenes where they need extra force (look for him whenever everyone's in police vests and they're storming a building). Think this was one of his most "acting" jobs.
Also I'm with you Thrill, I think Jane may have set up that punch.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 5:47 PM | Message # 10
Bee's Knees

Not sure about the guy in the limousine but cannot help but assume that she is the agent high up in the FBI which is in RJ's employ. Did anyone notice that PJ told Lisbon to call him Patrick, just like he did when hallucinating a few weeks ago. How cut was the hug, which shows how vulnerable and relieved he had to be. Now he has something to do. All these files he has to go through and will probably have to endure the crime scene photos of his wife and daughter, can't imagine that pain.

sorchauna Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 7:08 PM | Message # 11
Jillaroo

It was a great episode, and its great to have seen PJ as more insecure than usual and not have is mask on. Of course as Thrill has pointed out, was this the real PJ or part of his plan all along we will never know. Though I want to belive that fact that the Patrick who is more put together and not so on the edge of despair is because of the Team. But Im glad as a flashback episode it had so much relvance to season 5. Who was the person with Alexa and what does she know. I was wondering when will the FBI be back in the picture as no one seems concerned anymore so they have seemed to have lost lorelei. Always great to see Minelli. I have forgotten how much I miss him and I assume Im not the only one hoping he comes back. Im surprised to learn he knew about the mental insitution stay and did not inform Lisbon...as they always seemed close.

Funny moments was Patrick saying its my fault, I provoked him. never thought Id see the day Patrick Jane would admit anything like that. Simon was in great form as usually and they succeeded in making Simon and Robin look so much younger. And that hug, I mean how could you not keep him around after that.

Though 5 episodes in and Im still waiting for things to kick off. I know its the season of Red John so cant wait to see whats happened to Lorelei, who will be the new boss for Lisbon and the apperance of FBI.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 8:58 PM | Message # 12
True Blue

sooo well played, Simon! hands

I loved the whole PJ-evolution-story!
- the first shy and broke "high" to Lisbon - how slim he looked!!
- his fake smile toward Lisbon after his first insulting action ("alcoholism")
- how he shrugged in the car when Lisbon slammed the door and left him inside to talk to Cho on the phone
- how targeted he went straight towards the mount of boxes of RJ-files, just like an addict, or a man close to dying of thirst
- the way he hesitates when he was such close to getting insight to the RJ-files he so desperately wanted to have and Lisbon asked him a favour
- the development during his pseudo-psycic card-trick
- his sort of shy smile in the end when he finally has found his new pastime/occupation

We learned, Jane aready HAD insight to the Red John files then. So, what was the plot about with Bosco and the RJ-files in season 2 ?!
And, of course, for he is Patrick Jane, he will know all the details by heart - so it was no loss to burn the files to fake his breakdown end of the last season. cool

How cute Lisbon looked at the sleeping-on-the-couch Jane!
You better get used to it, Theresa!
You will! haha

Fran Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 9:29 PM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

Agree with everyone, Simon was amazing, and so many subtle details in his performance, the more you watch the more you see. I thought the whole team did a great job, I loved all the Patrick scenes with the members of the team, and I thought the 1-to-1 scenes with Lisbon were particularly special.

I assumed that Jane provoked the guy to punch him so that the balance of power was shifted. I didn’t think it was a precise plan on his part, and I don’t think it meant that he wasn’t genuinely distraught. The hug brought a smile to my face and I had to laugh at ‘just stretching my legs’. I think there was a bit of an in-joke between Simon and Owain, as Jane set off for the desk that Rigsby had pointed him to, he did a goatee beard gesture.

I think the guy at the end with Alexa was Kevin Corrigan as Robert Kirkland who also appears in 5.07 – interesting .....

Quote (beautyfulbabyboy)
We learned, Jane aready HAD insight to the Red John files then. So, what was the plot about with Bosco and the RJ-files in season 2 ?!
Bosco's team were working on the case, so I think there was new information that Jane hadn't seen.

lenacr Date: Monday, 29-Oct-12, 10:02 PM | Message # 14
Dinkie-Di

Just finished watching - one of the best episodes ever!
Thoroughly enjoyed it and what an end!!!....
Alexa the inside person of RJ in FBI and have we just seen Red John??? Is that possible? My heart just missed a beat!!!!

Message edited by lenacr - Monday, 29-Oct-12, 10:09 PM

kul65 Date: Tuesday, 30-Oct-12, 0:11 AM | Message # 15
Cobber

I don't think that was Red John, but hints to the season arc are beginning to show. FBI vs. CBI indeed. If Red John has access to Alexa Schultz, then he could deliberately send in agents like Craig O'Laughlin whenever he wants. That man was probably one of RJ's more influential associates, and perhaps a key player in the forwarding of the case, hence the introduction in episode 100. "The running chase starts now" said Bruno. If not Lorelei, here might be the man to set it off. I'm guessing Episode 8 will be to this season what "Red Moon" was to season 3 and "Blinking Red Light" to season 4.

As for the rest of the episode: GREAT. Yet again. Season 5 going strong. Really strong. Felt like the good old days again, and the team dynamics were more interesting than the case itself (which, I should mention, I still very much enjoyed). Said dynamics were so different from what we know and especially Jane was a completely different man. In a way, both Lisbon and Hannigan were right about his getting involved, because look where it's gotten him to today. This isn't the first time this season someone's mentioned how he needs to let go and move on. Perhaps a season theme?

The ending was fantastic. Everything from the couch scene to the limousine to the asylum revelation. Especially the limousine. That would be - in my two cents - Red John's "friend in the FBI", but I was also intrigued by the way Alexa talked to Minelli. "It would be useful to have a friend inside the FBI." Rings familiar, Virgil...

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 05 Red Dawn (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS (filmed as 5.06, 100th episode))
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz