Thursday, 18-Apr-24, 11:15 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 08 Red Sails in the Sunset (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
08 Red Sails in the Sunset
kul65 Date: Wednesday, 31-Oct-12, 0:06 AM | Message # 1
Cobber

"Red Sails in the Sunset”

With the help of Brett Stiles, Jane orchestrates an elaborate plan to break Lorelei Martins out of prison in the hopes of her leading him to Red John, on THE MENTALIST, Sunday, Nov. 18 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Simon Baker Directs His Third Episode. Malcolm McDowell Returns As Brett Stiles, and Emmanuelle Chriqui Returns as Lorelei Martins.

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Kevin Corrigan (Robert Kirkland)
Emmanuelle Chriqui (Lorelei Martins)
Malcolm McDowell (Brett Stiles)
Gigi Rice (Dana Martins)
Ron Perkins (Park Ranger)
Randee Heller (Marta Roman)
Allan Kolman (Virgil Roman)
Kimberly Westbrook (Female Desk Clerk)

WRITTEN BY: Daniel Cerone
DIRECTED BY: Simon Baker

Message edited by kul65 - Wednesday, 31-Oct-12, 0:06 AM

Peithon Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 2:56 AM | Message # 2
Rip Snorter

Will be starting very late on the east coast, around 10:53 pm.

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:04 AM | Message # 3
Bee's Knees

Excellent episode. I wish on the edge of my seat the entire time. Jane looked a bit mad at the end, but it seems he trusts Lisbon enough to show her his madness. The directing was beautiful. And as an added bonus, both Harry and Claude appeared in it.

KathyF Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:11 AM | Message # 4
Rip Snorter

I loved the scene with claude! the way simon crossed his eyes at him...hilarious!

justlook3 Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:52 AM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

So Claude was the kid in the store, I wondered what on earth was the point of that kid and also why he looked familiar. Was Harry one of the boys outside the motel then? I am not terribly observant.

Interesting episode. Hopefully we'll see some moving forward on the Red John storyline.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 12:10 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

What a good episode...great acting and great directing, I think Simon is just getting better and better at this.

I hadn't noticed Claude & Harry either....I will go back and have a look....what a chore!! cool

There was just so much to see...I liked that Lisbon took over Jane's role when she & Kirkland were talking to Lorelei's Mum....being sarcastic and insulting her.

Jane did look a bit mad at then end, he knows that she sees right through him, and though she may not know the fine points of the deception, that she knows a 'Jane Play' when she sees one!!

So Jane has shaken hands with RJ.....I have a thought...and may get shot down in flames....but.....could it be Mashburn???? eek

bee Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 12:22 PM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

I always look forward to an episode directed by Simon and this didn't disappoint. Especially loved the scene where Jane enters the sister's cabin alone, it was full of suspense. Simon seems to have the knack of keeping us on the edge of our seats. Interesting to note that the film Jane and Brett Stiles were watching was North by Northwest, a film about "a man pursued by agents of a mysterious organisation", who we see pretends to be shot in that scene, as Jane pretends to be abducted, a Hitchcock film to boot. Jane seems to be getting more obsessed this season and this obsession is leading him to take more and more risks. As well as damaging his beloved Citroen he deliberately crashed into a tree in which he could have killed himself! I don't understand why he did this? Couldn't Lorelei just have left him there, bound and gagged? He seems to have a death wish! He's now getting desperate and I believe his sanity is now being called into question! How far will he go?

The story of Lorelei's sister was strange...Perhaps the photo wasn't ever published because it showed the name "Roy" on it! Would RJ have seen it and stopped it being publicised?

Jane is still keeping Lisbon out of his plans although he knows she constantly worries about him, this was shown never more so when she found him in the crashed car. However he did confide in her at the end. To me he looked a little insane when he was speaking to her!! Lisbon is no fool and knows Jane better than anyone although I suspect she would not divulge her theory to anyone, such is her loyalty to him!

I'm not sure about Lorelei's intentions towards Jane. While lying on the beach she covered him with that blanket but on finding out about his abduction plan seemed to lose all control kicking and beating him! Has RJ's influence on inflicting pain rubbed off on her.

The fact that Lorelei said "I wonder why the two of you didn't become lifelong friends the moment you shook hands" mean that Lorelei was with Jane when that occurred and does it mean that they immediately "hit it off"? If so, that would narrow the suspects down!! Letting Lorelei go means that she lives to fight another day! Does Jane hope that when she finds out the truth about her sister and RJ, she will eventually lead him to RJ?

Loved the scenes with Claude and Harry, especially when Simon went cross-eyed. I suspect that was Simon's own idea! Wonder if they'll get the acting bug?

Best lines:

"I'd kill for a cup of tea".

"He made you a victim so that he could rescue you, he played on your pain". (Similar to what he tried to do with Jane having killed his family).

Finally, the end scene with Lisbon when he said "You didn't tell your new best friend Kirkland"......was he perhaps a little jealous??
Great episode directed by Simon.

Message edited by bee - Monday, 19-Nov-12, 6:40 PM

Thrill Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 4:43 PM | Message # 8
Dinkie-Di

Just awesome - still hyperventilating.... Seriously though I think Simon's directing is getting better and better and he is trying more things - so much talent.. I really was on the edge of my seat and couldn't believe when it ended - it felt like it had been running for 5 minutes...... Wow.....

Its a shame Claude & Harry didn't get credits......

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:11 PM | Message # 9
True Blue

It certainly took me some time to get to breath again after watching this!
Great stuff!!!

There sure is a certain bound between Lorelei and Jane, they seem to care for eachother. How she wrapped the blanket (and herself) around him, the way he looked at her swimming the next morning...
I think she beat him up because she felt honestly betrayed after he made her trust him.

The final scene just blew me away:
So RJ is someone Jane knows and shook hands with - but didn´t get friends with...
I don´t think we (the audience) did see this handshake, but we might have seen the person - might have, like Bruno said...

sure have to watch it again to see all the details

Green Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:44 PM | Message # 10
Surfie

Very intense episode-- Loved it!! Could someone tell me where Claude and Harry were? Was it Claude that he crossed his eyes at? My heart was in my throat during that car crash, and he looked so creepy in the final scene!! This season just gets better and better. Can they keep it up at this level? Hope so.

bee Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:54 PM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

Yes Green, Claude was the boy that Simon crossed his eyes at and Harry was the smaller of the two boys playing football outside of the motel as Jane and Lorelei raced off in their car.

Message edited by bee - Monday, 19-Nov-12, 7:59 PM

Green Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 8:06 PM | Message # 12
Surfie

Thanks so much, Bee. Weren't the beach scenes great? Another favorite scene: Lisbon comforting Jane after the car wreck-

Evy Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 8:19 PM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

I am sorry. I know that you go all to be angry with me, but I think that all the opinions must be given. And I take the risk of attracting me your lightning
I found Claude looks really stupid. He seemed not to know what to make. I did not find that he played well, if we can say that he played the comedy.
But it allowed us to see that he is cute and that he has beautiful blue eyes like his father.
Otherwise the episode is excellent, exciting, filmed well. Great episode. Simon was brilliant. We move forward in the story. There is not more than has to re-view the episodes where jane shakes hands of somebody in the presence of Lorelei !....

bee Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 8:53 PM | Message # 14
Fair Dinkum

I agree Green the scene with Lisbon comforting Jane was my favourite moment. You can see she really cares about him and was so relieved to see him alive! It certainly was a dramatic ending and when/if they catch up with Lorelei will she tell them about Jane's fake abduction??? What is disappointing is that he's still lying to Lisbon, ie telling her that Lorelei was on foot!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 19-Nov-12, 10:39 PM

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 19-Nov-12, 9:44 PM | Message # 15
True Blue

Don´t worry Sweetevy, why would that bring you into trouble - it´s just your opinion,
your view on this, right?
When I first saw this scene with the boy, I didn´t realize him as Claude. In fact he appeared a little "retarded" to me (sorry) but I thought it was meant to be the character:
A little boy, bored, maybe waiting for his parents, killing time by watching people and staring at them to see how they react.
After all, Claude doesn´t necessarily have to be such a talented actor like his Dad - but he definitly is a very cute boy!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 08 Red Sails in the Sunset (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz