Friday, 29-Mar-24, 4:52 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 21 Red And Itchy (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
21 Red And Itchy
Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Apr-13, 0:11 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.21 Red And Itchy

J.J. LAROCHE PERSONALLY REQUESTS JANE’S HELP WHEN THE MYSTERIOUS CONTAINER HE’S BEEN HIDING FOR NINE YEARS IS STOLEN FROM HIS HOME, ON "THE MENTALIST,” SUNDAY, APRIL 28

Pruitt Taylor Vince Returns as J.J. LaRoche "Red and Itchy” — J.J. LaRoche personally requests Jane’s help when the mysterious container he’s been hiding for nine years is stolen from his home, on THE MENTALIST, Sunday, April 28 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Pruitt Taylor Vince returns as J.J. LaRoche.

CHEAT TWEET: What do you think is in the container LaRoche has been hiding for 9 years? #TheMentalist 4/28 http://bit.ly/10MfTZN

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Pruitt Taylor Vince (J.J. LaRoche)
Rebecca Wisocky (Brenda Shettrick)
Meagen Fay (Joanne Parsons)
Aimee Lynn Chadwick (Sarah Parsons)
Mike Doyle (Mason Braverman)
Keith Pillow (Forensic Pathologist)
Lisa Pescia (Prison Administrator)
Dennis Cockrum (Cellmate)
Meg Foster (Judith Saynay)
Mark Dippolito (Scott Saynay)
Michael Rubenstone (Tupperware Man)
Micah Nelson (Tupperware Boy)
Karl Sonnenberg (CBI Karl)

WRITTEN BY: Daniel Cerone
DIRECTED BY: David Paymer

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 09-Apr-13, 1:59 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

Did he ever figure out that Patrick had no clue as to what was inside the tupperware container. I can't wait for that reveal.
What's with the "Tupperware man" and "Tupperware boy" ? And we have CBI Karl again.

Peithon Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 5:10 AM | Message # 3
Rip Snorter

Loved it - Patrick Jane isn't the only one who wants his pound of flesh it seems tongue

Hayseed Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 6:17 AM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

This was fantastic! I chortled with glee when Lisbon agreed to get Brenda. Yes, chortled.

And what an ending twist!

Mcbabsi Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 10:30 AM | Message # 5
Jillaroo

Another great episode...
full of lovely details like Lisbon slapping Patrick when he reminded her of the anger management class, or Patrick's cute laugh (so rare these days) when Cho said "it's a safe bet"...

bee Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 12:45 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

Another good episode where the mystery of the contents of the tupperware box is finally revealed. The first scene with Jane in his attic shows him to be very tense and edgy wanting to be left alone. After the deaths of Lorelei and Lennon and the break-in of his attic, I think that he is getting more and more frustrated with the fact that all the leads to RJ have come to nothing! However on hearing of JJ's break-in he is lured out of his despondency and seems willing to help all he can especially learning of the theft of the tupperware container! Jane seems to have obtained some kind of affinity with JJ and learning that the tupperware box may have some kind of link to a CBI leak spurs him into action. I felt sorry for JJ here, especially when he mentioned about his mother!

The scene where JJ asks Jane if he thinks of him as "a monster" (thinking that Jane knows what's in the box) and Jane struggling with an answer and finally says he thinks he is "interesting and complex" was quite amusing, especially as Jane has no idea what is actually in the box! JJ getting upset when Jane admits he has told Lisbon about the box was sad and Jane replying "Lisbon is my partner" was quite telling, and JJ then replying saying he understood about allegance, loyalty and trusted friendship. I hope Jane remembers this when he thinks about his revenge and RJ!

Thought the idea of putting the cat in the safe was a neat trick in catching Parsons wife. Brenda being involved with the CBI security leak was no surprise especially as she was connected to Volker although hiding the tupperware box in her drawer was a little silly! Tricking her into the drug bust was clever and JJ's face when Jane returned the box was a picture. I don't know if Jane actually looked in the box but I like to think not. Jane stopped Rigsby from peeking into the box and I think Jane respects JJ's privacy as he himself likes his privacy to be respected (if you know what I mean).

Lisbon asking Jane why he helped JJ and Jane answered that "A man will go to extreme lengths to find peace as I must do now. Until I come out of this room I need to be alone without interruptions and distractions. Please". This remark says just how much despair Jane is actually feeling at the moment. He is beginning to get easily rattled and is starting to look a little weary. This, I fear, is the build-up to the finale!

Lisbon actually finding out what was in the box was a surprise and I wonder if she will tell Jane. Great episode but I am both looking forward to and dreading the finale!!

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 1:24 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

I enjoyed this one too....such good value, a case of the week and the answers to TWO mysteries!!

I liked this because although it had serious parts, it also had some laugh out loud bits too.....like how JJ reminds Jane of a Sharpeii (sp) puppy and he didn't mind rubbing his tummy....then JJ unconsciously DOES rub his tummy!!! biggrin

JJ really can change from the lovely fluffy little dog to a fierce bull dog in the blink of an eye...I will be seriously cross if JJ is Red John....gutted in fact, I LOVE the man!!

I actually think that JJ is perhaps the only person who can TRULY understand what drives Jane, and how he can do the seemingly cruel and hurtful things he does on the way to catching Red John....'a man does what he has to to find peace'

I enjoyed both attic scenes, the one at the beginning showed just how much stress Jane is under, he snapped at Lisbon, and that is unlike him, it must annoy him when he has a little thread in his memory that he is trying to tease out and someone interrupts, and the end, he was begging Lisbon to leave him alone to think, he must feel that he is so close to understanding.

A great episode that answered some questions, and laid a good path to the finale....NOW I really can't wait!!

Message edited by Mossibecca - Monday, 29-Apr-13, 1:25 PM

Fran Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 2:11 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

Some of Jimmy Gadd's tweets about the episode:

I got a question earlier, was the slap scripted in the car? No, but I liked it so much that I put it in.
The smile was unscripted too, I had to leave it to show how close they actually are!
This park scene was a lot longer, but we took out the bit where someone is taking the tupperware box out of the storm drain.
This scene with JJ and Jane walking off had a longer piece where JJ thanked Jane for his help and JJ feeling like a monster.
The "Sexy Spinster" line was best in this take, but Simon always does great with making those lines fun with his smile at the end.
The prison scene was longer too with Van Pelt holding Rigsby back trying to get more info of what was in the box
The kid ate the sandwich! It was Banana and PB!!!
Reply to 'I also loved the look between Jane and Lisbon after Brenda said "You do what you do...whatever that is"' - Yes, he made a couple of different faces… that one landed the best. My original edit had a look from Rigsby in there too.
As the van pulls up, it was accidental that everyone jerked forward at the stop. I put it in because it felt real
In Brenda's confession, notice how the camera closes in on her as Jane gets inside her head.
Simon did more sheep sounds as he exited in some takes. I was trying to see if they would work, but it felt like the one "Maa" was best
The original scene transition was written that Rigsby hands Jane the tupperware, it cut to JJ taking it. Simon a better way, as you see it
There was a scene outside Saynay's mom's house that we didn't shoot. We figured we could get the same story without it. Just the exterior of the house with Lisbon knocking and introducing herself before going inside
Reply to 'the ending music was RJ theme is it intentional?' - Not intentional at all… it worked well there in our temp music and Blake wove it in stronger to the picture
Reply to 'did jane sound ticked talking about Tommy volker' - Maybe… more soon!

PJaneloke Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 6:43 PM | Message # 9
Surfie

Love it! All the scenes that mentioned above and the last scene!

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 8:49 PM | Message # 10
True Blue

"Thank you for keeping my secret"
"meh, that was easy..."
- yes, it surely was easy not to tell anyone about what you don´t even know cool

AgentM Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 9:25 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

Loved the fact that such a small mystery could have me on the edge of my seat screaming "What's in the box?!" Best line for me was Jane telling Laroche "I'm happy to rub your belly!" lol. biggrin Also loved the sincerity in Jane's expression when he admitted to Laroche that the team knew about the box - "Lisbon is my partner" - wow. (not for any romantic reasons but I just loved the idea that he has finally begun to let someone in.) As for the contents of the box, I wasn't too far off in my predictions in the 'What's in Laroche's tupperware box?' thread. Seriously, I'm beginning to think I should have had a career in law enforcement and mystery solving!! lol.

It made me chuckle when Rigsby and Van Pelt were talking about how tupperware is always in the wrong drawer or the lid is missing...that is soooooo true! It's a mystry in itself as to where those lids go! wacko

There were a few touching scenes between Jane and Laroche. It was nice to scene Jane displaying the need to protect the big man in some way. However, the strain of zeroing in on RJ is showing on Jane - the attic scenes, especially at the end are a favourite. I think Lisbon is concerned that he may be pushing her away a little - I'm sure she'll believe he's protecting her - but she understands that he needs time to think and process his deductions and thoughts. Can't wait for next week's ep.

As for whether Jane looked inside the box? The statement about not needing to know what was in the locksmith's first safe was a hint, and it was followed up towards the end with Jane reiterating the same idea after Lisbon asks him what was in the box. In the first instance, I believe he left the attic to help on the Laroche case because he already figured it would be connected to the box - and Jane does love a good mystery - I 'm pretty sure that he wanted to know what was in the box and this would have provided the chance to put another mystery to bed - That said, I'm not 100% certain that he did look. I think it would be an intriguing twist that Lisbon found out something that Jane didn't know. However, I think Lisbon would probably mention it in passing eg "Weird that he kept a ............. in that thing, huh? I think it's creepy." I can hear the conversation now... and see the expressions on their faces when Lisbon realises Jane might not have known!

** Just watched it again...I now believe Jane knows what is in the box. When he says "A man will go to extreme lengths to find peace..." He sooooo knows what's in the box. Laroche's actions were extreme to say the least, but he found some peace in getting revenge for his mother...and I think Jane knows it, and fully understands the big guy's actions. Still, I think it would have been fun for Lisbon to know and Jane not.

Loved the downfall of Brenda Shettrick ....and yay, CBI Karl had lines! lol. I thought he pulled it off brilliantly. biggrin

It was an enjoyable episode, considering the basic fact that all the main plot really came down to was what was in a tupperware box! Bravo Daniel Cerone! hands

Message edited by AgentM - Monday, 29-Apr-13, 11:05 PM

bonbon Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 9:49 PM | Message # 12
Jillaroo

KUDOS to everyone connected w/ #5-21! Here's my thoughts about a great episode:
1) Loved Rigsby’s protective attachment to LaRoche’s little dog (definitely a man’s dog - it growled/nipped at Lisbon).
2) Got a real kick out of Jane’s little (seemingly insensitive) antic in locking the cat in the safe after holding & petting it so affectionately.
3) Probably the team’s fastest time in solving a case (about 19 minutes into the program).
4) I had this horrible feeling after learning of LeRoche’s mother’s attack, that he actually had the rapist’s 'male organ' in the Tubberware. However, once I saw the segment w/ Scott Saynay’s cell mate, and his remarks “Saynay wasn’t much of a talker”…..“his quiet nature” and when he was told of the ‘box’, he said “He could guess what was in it, couldn’t they?”……..I thought, instead, it must be his TONGUE.
5) Have to admit, I was surprised when Brenda took the Tupperware out of her purse, but it all came together so well & made sense. Glad she was only an informant for personal gain & NOT connected with RJ.
6) Loved Lisbon’s remark when Jane told her to be the ‘voice of wrath’ about Brenda - “How do we get the bitch?”
7) Jane’s remark, “I certainly hope not.” to LaRoche’s statement “This concludes our business.” kinda leaves it open for the two to possibly interact again next season.
8) I, too, really liked the ending. Was at first afraid that we not to learn the actual contents, but Lisbon was right on in following her hunch! So she now has 'one up' on Jane (or does she?)
Hate the thought of the upcoming months void of TM, but eager to see next week's finale.
P.S. I still miss Jane's rumpled hair....don't like the shorter cut! And lets face it - dedicating so much time in his quest to find RJ, he wouldn't be off to a barber too often; hence, a thicker and longer appearance of his locks.

Message edited by bonbon - Monday, 29-Apr-13, 10:04 PM

Tish Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 10:42 PM | Message # 13
Blow-In

What a fantastic episode ... A great lead in to the season finale. Really hope it lives up to expectations.
I had no clue about what was in the Tupperware box - fail on my mental abilities there (although my 5am starts on Mondays don't help matters).
I loved all scenes already mentioned so won't go over them again.
Jimmy also posted a comment about Pruitt's status as being legally blind - it explained the eye movements in close up. Again I had no idea although I did find the rapidness of the movements odd.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 11:29 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Bonbon I too miss the mussed hair. In person, he does seem to go with the laid back look. I wonder why this season he chose the short do. Makes him look older than his 43 years. Next season is going to bring back JJ although since he is in IA, that is a department of Justice that investigates bad cops, why he is so liked by the team when in any other police procedurals they hate these guys

Green Date: Tuesday, 30-Apr-13, 0:44 AM | Message # 15
Surfie

Bonbon- I agree with everything you said- It seemed to me that the tongue was a substitute for the more logical "male organ"- a tad less creepy - I also liked the remark about it being easy to keep the secret- lol -- Don't like the hair, he did look a lot older in this episode, yet still looks young in interviews and candid shots- another mystery. I'm guessing he isn't the one who decides how he should look on the show - at least as far as hairdo and makeup - Can't wait for next week! I have my list of 7 ready to compare.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 21 Red And Itchy (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz