Wednesday, 24-Apr-24, 9:41 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 22 Red John's Rules (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
22 Red John's Rules
Fran Date: Thursday, 18-Apr-13, 11:52 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.22 Red John's Rules

RED JOHN STRIKES AGAIN, AND THE VICTIM HAS A LINK TO JANE’S PAST, ON THE FIFTH SEASON CLIFFHANGER FINALE OF “THE MENTALIST,” SUNDAY, MAY 5

Laura San Giacomo Guest Stars as Social Worker Miriam Gottlieb

“Red John’s Rules” — Just as Jane narrows down the Red John suspect list to seven, Red John strikes at a victim with links to Jane’s past, on the fifth season cliffhanger finale of THE MENTALIST, Sunday, May 5 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Laura San Giacomo guest stars as social worker Miriam Gottlieb.

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Emmanuelle Chriqui (Lorelei Martins)
Laura San Giacomo (Miriam Gottlieb)
Scott Anthony Leet (Roddy Turner)
Tangie Ambrose (Samantha Barsocky)
M.C. Gainey (Pete Barsocky)
Michael Hogan (Sean Barlow)
Alice Amter (Marta)
Marisa Guterman (Sandra Guzman)
Jack Plotnick (Brett Partridge)
Brett Robert Pearsons (Val Ziskin)
Homie Doroodian (Motel Clerk)
Diane Witter (Receptionist)
Mary Jo Catlett (Ruth)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producer and series creator Bruno Heller
DIRECTED BY: Chris Long

Hayseed Date: Friday, 19-Apr-13, 0:10 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

I see Mr. Irksome is back. Hmmmm.

Hayseed Date: Thursday, 02-May-13, 9:02 PM | Message # 3
Bee's Knees

Argh. I cannot wait for this. C'mon, Sunday.

Peithon Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 5:08 AM | Message # 4
Rip Snorter

Well, got some snippets from Jane's past, he's been in child protective services and they are now 'relocating' him to the California carnival circuit instead of the midwest. While this was a solid episode, it was subpar for a Heller finale. Thought the sheriff from Red Hair and Silver Tape might be on the list, he did seem to be stalking Van Pelt in that episode. Seems like RJ is from Jane's past. Now was Jane's mother a Barlow? Was that the business dealing his father fought over? Is this whole RJ thing a carnival feud?

Message edited by Peithon - Monday, 06-May-13, 6:25 AM

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 6:42 AM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

I enjoyed this episode very much. The tone was just right, not overwrought, and it introduced several intriguing ideas to think about for next year. Also, Jordan Harper posted a number of tweets during the episode that provided some additional insights. For example, he pointed out that Patrick's wife would have known about his happy memory. He also noted that it was no accident that it was Lisbon, and not Jane, who was interested in holding the baby. I definitely have to rewatch the episode to fully appreciate it.

Mcbabsi Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 9:03 AM | Message # 6
Jillaroo

I thought it was quite good for a season finale- can't wait for season 6! Will have to watch all the other episodes again until then, to "evaluate" the suspects...
Now, the "happy memory" makes me think it must be someone who knew Jane back then, because I don' t think he told anyone about this. Yes, his wife might have known, but why would she tell RJ?
And I loved what was happening between Jane and Lisbon smile

bee Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 11:21 AM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

WOW! Great finale and Bruno didn't disappoint. From the moment we saw Jane burning his suspect board I was hooked. (By the way loved the mention of Robin's broken wrist!) Sleepy Jane was also adorable!! Jane opening up to Lisbon about his childhood and his happy memory of Eileen I found emotional. "She's just a memory that made me smile and RJ killed her. It's like he reached into my head and killed a happy memory". So very sad. (I wanted to give him a hug here). It's not often that Jane let's anyone into his thoughts and telling Lisbon this I thought was a profound moment for him. He's definitely opening up to Lisbon more as time progresses.

We learned a little more about Jane's past, the feud between the Janes and the Barlows. What we don't know is how RJ knew about Jane's happy memory. Could his wife have told RJ? I was hoping to learn a little about Jane's mother and what happened to her but sadly no. He never talks about her, why I wonder?

I guessed it was the social worker, mainly I have to admit, because she was billed as the "guest star" although I didn't link her to RJ at first but having swallowed that pill I guess we'll never know how she was connected. Sean Barlow I found quite disturbing. He seemed to know all about Lisbon's alcoholic father and also that he said "You were lying in bed thinking of Patrick. You're a little in love with him?" This echoed Lorelei's statement to Jane in The Crimson Ticket. Then he said "But he's so secretive and controlling. That's hard isn't it?" It has to be said that neither Jane nor Lisbon denied this although Lisbon looked a little guilty!! Sean Barlow obviously knows a lot about their relationship. Later in the car they both started talking at once and Jane said "You first". Lisbon then said "I can't work like this..." and then Jane immediately interrupted her by saying "No me first". Was Jane afraid that Lisbon was going to confess her feelings for him? He obviously took note of what Sean Barlow had said because he then confessed to Lisbon that he had been secretive and controlling and so wanted to tell her the names on his list but she mustn't tell anyone else. This proves that Jane now totally trusts Lisbon and is holding nothing back from her (about time in my book!). He then told her that Gale Bertram was one of the names on his list.

Although it is known that Jane loves children I noticed that he never held the baby. It was Lisbon that placed her in her cot and Lisbon that handed her back to Roddy. Strange!

I'm glad that Jane is now finally confiding in Lisbon (hopefully more than 30%) and him showing her the disc was proof of this. I thought it sweet that he put a protective arm around her when leading her to the computer and he constantly glanced over to her while the disc was playing but having been elated about whittling his list down to seven he looked utterly defeated at the end. How did RJ know who was on Jane's list? Having watched this episode I was drawn to him being linked to Jane's carny life from his early days but his list doesn't reflect this. I think Partridge, although creepy beyond words, is too young to be RJ. Haffner, Reede Smith and Kirkland came too late into the series (if Bruno's earlier statement still stands). I don't think it could be the Sheriff, we only saw him once and I didn't think he was that memorable! Styles and Bertram seem, to me, to be more logical, although neither of them fit Rosalind Harker's description. I still think Visualize is connected somehow though.

To me this episode gave more questions than answers and I cannot wait for Season 6. Roll on Autumn!!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 06-May-13, 11:48 AM

Peithon Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 11:21 AM | Message # 8
Rip Snorter

Jordan Harper tweeted that he has not tweeted anything about the finale and a quote was out there that he didn't write.

Fran Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 11:50 AM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

Quote (Wand6122360)
Jordan Harper posted a number of tweets during the episode that provided some additional insights

Apparently not, as Peithon said, Jordan tweeted "Hey #mentalist fans, just saw a tweet attributed to me on a message board that I didn't say. I haven't tweeted a thing about the finale."

I thought that the episode was very good and I enjoyed it very much, especially the Jane/Lisbon scenes. I thought the final scene, the memory of Eileen scene and the one with Barlow were particularly brilliant. I've never thought Brett Partridge was RJ, and I agree with Bee that he's always seemed too young to me, but in spite of this, looking at the suspect list he seems the most likely to me now. He's about the same age as Jane so I'm wondering if he was also part of the carnival circuit and knew Jane as a child, he could even have witnessed Jane's happy memory. I'm still suspicious of Bret Stiles though, because he seems to be so powerful.

Thrill Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 1:38 PM | Message # 10
Dinkie-Di

Ahhhhhhhhhh - what will happen next! Loved this episode. So much to say - but I need to watch again to digest. Just a comment - Gale Bertram quoted a poem from William Blake (not Tyger Tyger but another) - in S3 when the episode when Hightower had held Jane captive and they found Jane in the crashed car. Gale said the quote (cant remember it) and Lisbon asked what it was and JJ said it was William Blake. I think Bertram has a glossy exterior which disarms people - he appears powerful but nice somehow - is it all an act.
Oh there is going to be so much guessing going on this summer/winter......
I need some

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 3:29 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

My bad about the tweets! So sorry about that. I fell for the old fake twitter account trick.

Message edited by Wand6122360 - Monday, 06-May-13, 3:31 PM

Mcbabsi Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 4:09 PM | Message # 12
Jillaroo

Quote (bee)
Was Jane afraid that Lisbon was going to confess her feelings for him?

of course! that's the last thing he wants - especially now. But by sharing his list with her he has let her come as close to him as possible.

AgentM Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 9:33 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

Okay, so where do I begin?.... First of all, Lisbon's feelings for Jane and the lack of denial when Barlow claimed she had been thinking of Patrick .... we've all known for a very long time now that she does have feelings for him, she cares deeply about him and enjoys it greatly when he flirts with her...However, who hasn't had a crush on a fellow colleague/friend and allowed that feeling to maybe develop a little bit stronger than we should?!...I believe she does love him ( and I have stated in the past that I think they both feel safe flirting with each other because it means they don't have to worry about opening themselves up to others romantically...they may feel jealousy towards anyone who gets involved with the other, but only because they fear that their 'safety blanket' may be compromised ) BUT I also believe that maybe Monsieur Bruno may be playing with the shippers' heads a little bit!

I agree with the majority of comments about favourite scenes - the happy memory, PJ's guiding hand on Lisbon's back, etc. It was a worthy finale, but quite understated, and I like that Bruno did it that way instead of high drama. Makes it seem more dramatic. Favourite scene for me was PJ at the end - and the fact that Red John listed the suspects that he had whittled down - I first thought that, when RJ mentioned the handshakes, he was then going to tell Jane that Lorelai's comment had been a ruse to send him in the wrong direction - but then I momentarily forgot that RJ does actually have some respect for Jane's abilities. They share a strange kind of mutual appreciation for each other. As for the suspects - well I got three of them! - Sheriff is a bit left field and Reed Smith was unexpected becasue he was such a latecomer to the show - but then I guess they had to throw in a few ringers to shock and surprise.

No surprise to find Partridge in there - I know some have reservations that he is too young - but again, he does still fit into the common age range for serial killers and he is my number one suspect (always has been). And he's had a hairstyle change! I guess that means he was the bottom right profile on the suspect list!

I guessed that the woman from Child Protective services was involved in the kidnap of the baby - access and opportunity and all that - but I did wonder how she was going to be linked to RJ as Jane seemed certain that whomever took the child was working with RJ - As for RJ's choice of victim (someone from Jane's past) , ever since Jane took up the quest of catching him, the victims have all linked to him in some way or been used as a vehicle to lure him in - I'm not convinced that RJ has had Jane targeted the whole time - how does that explain the first 8 victims before Jane's wife and child? None of those victims were connected to Jane. It has just become a cat and mouse game since then.

How did RJ know about Jane's happy little memory? Hmmmm! Puzzling. Suggestions that PJ's wife would have known ...yes, I'm sure she would, but I think it may be too much of a stretch to think that she may turn up alive and well and working for RJ - especially as Jane says he found her body. Why would she tell RJ? Maybe he tortured her to find out snippets of info that he could use to get back at Jane? How did RJ get the same list of suspects? He is hot on surveillance, maybe he's had eyes in Jane's eyrie all along?

Overall, as usual, Bruno has left us with a lot to muse about over the hiatus - I know my cognitive wheels are already in a spin!

Quote (Fran)
Apparently not, as Peithon said, Jordan tweeted "Hey #mentalist fans, just saw a tweet attributed to me on a message board that I didn't say. I haven't tweeted a thing about the finale."

Uh, you think Jordan was referring to this 'message board' here on Fran's site?! lol. Maybe they've been monitoring us all along and playing up to our discussions! surprised

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 10:14 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Really enjoyed the episode, Bruno played it very well.

Great bit by the 'psychic' so he knows that Lisbon lies awake at night thinking of Jane......and neither of them denied the things he said.

So how did RJ know the names....I think that the 'air-con' men may have left a camera in the attic...Red John is obviously hot on surveillance.

Wasn't Haffner supposed to be into this sort of thing.

Rally looking forward to NEXT season now.....I'm wishing my life a way Mr Heller!!

bunnyt Date: Monday, 06-May-13, 10:56 PM | Message # 15
Jillaroo

Wow..I'm still upset..I need to watch the episode again and again..but I think it was one of the best finale of series...The relation between Jane and Lisbon is growing and their scenes were beautiful..Great work Bruno! smile

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 22 Red John's Rules (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz