The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Season 5 Speculation
June Date: Thursday, 14-Jun-12, 9:22 PM | Message # 46
Bee's Knees

Regarding Jane as Red John, in "The Mentalist: Portrait of a Serial Killer", Simon Baker says: I fantasize about the idea that Patrick Jane is such a narcissist that he's created this whole existence for himself and has given himself a position in life to seek revenge against a crime that he's committed to, you know, it's a self-perpetuating cycle that he's created. And he's a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde character.
Bruno Heller says: I only say this and exclude that as a possibility just because I think it would be cheating the audience to chase this guy all this time and then reveal that it's, in fact, you know, if the end of Moby Dick was that Captain Ahab is the great white whale you would feel cheated of a good harpooning, wouldn't you? Same thing here.

Bruno is right, would be a challenge for Simon but it would ruin all the show. Doesn't make sense

lenacr Date: Thursday, 14-Jun-12, 11:28 PM | Message # 47
Dinkie-Di

I couldn't agree with you more, June, re: Jane not being RJ (as a result of not having whatever Disorder)

But I would also feel cheated if RJ came to be an 'irrelevant' character, like CBI Ron or the Forensics guy. The whole point about watching a detective / mystery series is to be given clues, to speculate, to create theories, to debate about them, to revise them, and so on. This is the process that makes such series (or books, films, etc) interesting.

To find out that a background figure is the main culprit of the whole series, who - we know - is so important that it is the main force behind the protagonist's actions but for whom no clues have ever been presented, would be a complete wash-out (for me). Unless Bruno, et al start presenting us with more information about (one or more of) these characters and start blending them in the story.

Message edited by lenacr - Friday, 15-Jun-12, 1:35 AM

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 0:29 AM | Message # 48
Bee's Knees

I'm sure that Brunohas that specifically in mind when signing on Emmanuelle to play Lorelei for 4 or 5 more episodes in season 5. Jane saying that she will reveal things to him is a tell. He intends to question her, and at length. However, since Red Jogn does not leave behind clues he'll probably give just enough to keep us guessing and Jane to go on tangents. Hasn't he said before that if RJ leaves clues, it's not what the clue is but why he let us have it. Lorelei has been primed by RJ to do just that, but I hope we get to know more about the dastardly dude soon.

Fran Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 0:40 AM | Message # 49
Fair Dinkum

Quote (lenacr)
The whole point about watching a detective / mystery series is to be given clues, to speculate, to create theories, to debate about them, to revise them, and so on. This is the process that makes such series (or books, films, etc) interesting.
That's true, but the best detective stories bury the important clues so that you don't always see them. If the clues are presented in plain sight its too easy to solve the mystery and there's no fun in that.

Nixenkind Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 8:22 AM | Message # 50
Jillaroo

I agree with Fran and would like to add that there are different kinds of detective shows: the ones like "Colombo", where we already know who the killer is and the pleasure is solely in watching Colombo solve the crime, and those where we don't know the killer... on of the interesting points of "The Mentalist" is that Jane always sees more than anybody else- including the audience, of course.

AgentM Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 8:26 AM | Message # 51
Bee's Knees

Quote (Fran)
Quote (lenacr)
The whole point about watching a detective / mystery series is to be given clues, to speculate, to create theories, to debate about them, to revise them, and so on. This is the process that makes such series (or books, films, etc) interesting.
That's true, but the best detective stories bury the important clues so that you don't always see them. If the clues are presented in plain sight its too easy to solve the mystery and there's no fun in that.

I totally agree with you Fran. As a writer myself, it would be all too easy to give a reader everything they need to find out who the obvious suspect is but then that takes away the fun of twists and turns and trying to think logically and laterally. It is much more gratifying to have had to work for the right answer. I'm sure Bruno has already put clues into place for the intended character but maybe we have yet to find out the bits about their character that will allow little things to slot into place. Remember, Jane sometimes goes wrong in his deductions too. Bruno is giving us all a piece of the Jane experience. The ultimate reality ride!

Quote (lenacr)
The whole point about watching a detective / mystery series is to be given clues, to speculate, to create theories, to debate about them, to revise them, and so on. This is the process that makes such series (or books, films, etc) interesting

Isn't that what we've all been doing? wink

lenacr Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 9:13 AM | Message # 52
Dinkie-Di

I agree with you. However, I also insist that if there are clues at all about background characters like CBI Ron or the forensics guy (I am talking about such characters, I hope this is clear) they must indeed be very well hidden or are extremely superficial and as a result (the clues) offer little chance for deductions.

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 15-Jun-12, 7:41 PM | Message # 53
Bee's Knees

As a recent TV.com interview with Mr Heller (spoiler alert on will they ever catch RJ) Bruno swears "Progress is being made, thanks to the capture of Lorelei Martins, this will help Jane and the CBI to some really important concrete facts about RJ next season. There will be a cascade of information: how he operates, who's with him and who isn't, what his game really is", also Heller notes about Jane's lawlessness: "He got waway with shooting a man in cold blood last year, his charm and his abilities will certainly get him past this."

fangs4fun Date: Thursday, 12-Jul-12, 5:03 AM | Message # 54
Jillaroo

I want to see more of how Jane came to be with CBI. What were the early years like? How long did it take for the team to trust him?

watchyouwalk Date: Saturday, 21-Jul-12, 5:22 AM | Message # 55
Blow-In

Hello, first post here! Just wanted to chime in to say how excited I am for Season 5! I think the ending of S4 put us in a great spot for some very interesting developments with the shows and all of its characters, especially the Jane/Red John relationship and how Lisbon is now added to that mix.

Also reading a few of the previous posts, I have always loved the idea of Jane as Red John, though more as something that's fun to think about and possibly explore in fic/art, less so as something that would work practically in the show. Though Simon would surely play it perfectly, I can just imagine how awesome of a twist that would be for him - would have to be a lot of fun to play!

Fran Date: Saturday, 28-Jul-12, 10:03 AM | Message # 56
Fair Dinkum

In the Casting News thread, Bee mentioned that we haven't heard which actor will replace Wainwright, which prompted some thoughts about who might be the new Head of the CBI. So far we've had the old school father figure, the strong professional woman, the bright but naive young spark - I think they'll want a different type to keep things fresh but I'm struggling to have any idea what sort of character they'll bring in. Any thoughts anybody??

(ps Hi watchyouwalk & welcome hello )

Fran Date: Sunday, 16-Sep-12, 11:47 AM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

Unofficial Rigsby spoiler 5.04 Blood Feud (thanks to @bmoon_sky)

Juney Date: Sunday, 16-Sep-12, 11:47 AM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

I know |I go on about this, but how can PJ have a love interest with someone who wanted to cut his fingers off angry I've obviously got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Nixenkind Date: Sunday, 16-Sep-12, 11:48 AM | Message # 59
Jillaroo

Who says he does? For all we know, he could only be manipulating her... personally, I'm sure it's nothing more than that. Have you heard differently?
I agree, it would be totally illogical for Jane to have any feelings for Loralei, I'm sure he knew who she was when he got involved with her (he got her name wrong when she knocked on his door- and that's Patrick Jane we're talking about, whose mind is a steel trap!). I think it's nothing but mind games, a struggle for who will win. I think that no matter what happens, he would never be able to trust Loralei.

Message edited by Nixenkind - Tuesday, 18-Sep-12, 5:45 PM

Juney Date: Thursday, 20-Sep-12, 4:18 PM | Message # 60
Bee's Knees

I agree that he's probably manipulating her and I've only read the spoilers on other threads on this site. As I said it's just a bee in my bonnet and I just don't like the thought of it carrying over for weeks. sad

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz