The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Season 5 Speculation
Fran Date: Thursday, 24-May-12, 8:02 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

I’ve been thinking about Season 5 and where they’ll go with the Red John storyline. The original TVLine spoiler about Lorelei said that she would return for at least 5 episodes. TVGuide then re-reported this spoiler and changed it to the first 5 episodes - this seems to me to be very unlikely, because in the past the approach has always been to spread out the RJ episodes across the season.

So I’m thinking that perhaps the Lorelei story will form the basis of the Red John arc for Season 5, ending either with her death or her escape. But to be honest, I’m struggling to think how they can weave this into the usual case of the week scenarios. Has anybody else got any thoughts on this?

bee Date: Friday, 25-May-12, 10:35 AM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

I was wondering about this also. Now RJ knows for sure how Jane feels about Lisbon I was thinking perhaps he may abduct Lisbon at some future date and use her as a bargaining tool for the return of Lorelei to him, however I cannot see how this could last for five episodes. In any case Lisbon is now in a dangerous position as she is Jane's weak point and RJ knows that Jane will do anything to keep her safe! I also think that Jane hypnotised Lorelei in the last scene when he put his hands on her shoulders and kissed her head! Does anybody agree?

Message edited by bee - Friday, 25-May-12, 11:29 AM

Thrill Date: Friday, 25-May-12, 12:39 PM | Message # 3
Dinkie-Di

I must admit that I am not very good with this sort of creative thinking however......
I don't think PJ hypnotized Lorelei I think that he was sending them both a message. To Lisbon he was saying it was true so she wasn't left wondering (say the bad news straight up and get it over with). To lorelei I think he was reminding her of their intimacy and his hands moved up to her neck so I think he was also showing strength and dominance. Like maybe he would not be defeated.
As for how the RJ arc will play out I can't see it happening in a few consecutive episodes the isn't that much story to be the focus for so much air time. It works better with little bits he and there
as for Lisbon has PJ really shown his true feelings I think there is still doubt. Was the whole bit with Lorelei an act. He was expecting RJ to reach out so sending a girl was a reasonable option. What changed PJ mind about finally being with another woman? Did/does he have genuine feelings for her. Does she have genuine feelings for him????
Adding .Lorelei into the mix in S5 gives lots of scope to stir things up. Will PJ have to choose between Lisbon and Lorelei. I think he will try to be her from RJ but because he cares or to defeat RJ?
Finally now PJ has made that leap and slept with another woman does he still really have the same burning desire to defeat RJ or can he see that there are other alternatives (which would probably make for less interesting TV!!)
I think I have covered all bases. In short I don't know. I'll go back to making movies it's easier!!!! tongue

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 25-May-12, 5:45 PM | Message # 4
Bee's Knees

This is a lot to postulate about and we could spend the whole summer. We need to get into Heller's head since he is writing the first episode. R.J. will have to show his hand eventually since Lorelei seems to be a very close disciple of his, if not his mistress. This also shows his regard for Patrick since he sent her, his best to sleep with him. All those who think he did not actually "sleep" with her miss the point that he was in a supposed tailspin and since it was an act or con he had to continue in the moment, perhaps even enjoying himself, remember he is quite a dark being himself, ie when he was in fugue, with Tamara. As for season 5, it will be interesting to see what this kiss on the head reallymeant. After all, she did have him beaten up, a little, and did try to cut off his fingers. What a strange and eerie persona she is.

AgentM Date: Friday, 25-May-12, 9:55 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

I don't agree that those of us who don't believe PJ slept with Lorelai have missed the point. There was a particularly telling reminder to the viewer of his feelings about his wife with a camera shot of Jane's wedding ring finger hand when he was kissing Lorelai. I think this was to remind us that he still considers himself married. But before that, if you watch, when she turns her head to avoid watching the lioness catching the zebra, PJ places his hand on the side of her head (before the lioness succeeds and he kisses her) - I believe he has anchored something here because it is the same spot he touches in the final scene. And also, the following morning when she was getting dressed she asks the question 'We had fun, right?' Jane's confirmation is his reinforcement of the suggestion he has planted that he did sleep with her. Maybe because he thinks RJ will think she's special to him and will use that. Remember Jane thinks he can manipulate RJ (as he did with the Panzer killing) it is possible that PJ will use Lorelai as bait, as he can be a 'cold b*****d at times'.

As for Lorelai being in it for 5 episodes - I can't see Bruno doing them all consecutively. I agree with Thrill's point that snippets over several episodes works better. However, I think the S5 opener is going to be RJ based. Maybe Lorelai is going to be held somewhere that Jane has access to and visits her frequently to try to learn more - or maybe Jane will convince Lisbon to release her because he feels he has somehow messed with her mind and thinks he's now in control of her, and will play her against RJ - possibly using her as a subconscious spy?! Who knows what goes on in that head of Bruno's?!

In 'Fugue' with Tamara, Jane wasn't having a breakdown, he was simply reverting to form because he couldn't remember anything else. With Lorelai, Jane was cunning, he knew what he was doing.

It's not that I don't want Jane to have some enjoyment - he is, after all, the only member of the team who hasn't got laid! - I just believe he will stay true to his wife until he gets the justice/revenge he seeks.

I agree that Lisbon is now in a dangerous position - it was slightly careless of Jane to let RJ see how protective of her he is - but that said, I think RJ has known for a long time that Lisbon would be key in breaking PJ. O'Laughlin almost succeeded in getting to her. Remember the horror on Jane's face as he listened in? I think RJ has been biding his time - and that S5 will see more danger for both Lisbon and other members of the team. I also think we're going to see more of Van Pelt within the RJ story arc. Maybe we should have considered her much sooner - she does have 'red' hair after all!? wink

As for other possible stand alone eps - I would really love to see a light-hearted episode based at a Comic Book Convention - Jane has proved on several occasions to be a fan of the Justice League of America - it would be hilarious to see him surrounded by the very comic book characters he keeps referring to - he'd be like a kid in a candy store! biggrin

Message edited by AgentM - Friday, 25-May-12, 10:36 PM

Nixenkind Date: Saturday, 26-May-12, 7:01 AM | Message # 6
Jillaroo

Hmmm- I still think Lisbon's abduction by Red John is finale/cliffhanger material, so I guess they save that for the future.
As for Loralei, I have my doubts that he has real feelings for her. Personally, I think he knew who she was when she approached him. He knew her name, so he obviously had watched her for a while which regarding his skills should have given him a solid clue. I also don't think that he would have told something like the "no right or wrong"-talk or the "killing a man felt like Christmas"-speech to just anybody... I think he told her what he knew she wanted to hear.
And, by the way: a woman who falls in love or at least catches a strong romantic interest in a man who tells her stuff like that? Sorry, that's not a pretty calling card, isn't it? So I don't believe he thought: well, I told her some outrageous stuff, but hey, she's sweet, so why not? He was smiling after he threw her out, he would have been far too shocked to do that if he'd slept with her out of real feelings for her. After what...nine years of celibacy? It would have been a major betrayal, he would have been reduced to shambles!
About the sex: I don't know about hypnosis. But I'm almost sure that it would be much easier for Patrick Jane to sleep with a woman if there were no emotions involved, just to follow one of his plans, cold and calculating just to reach his goal, than it would be to break his celibacy with a woman he actually HAS feelings for... because that would immediately bring his feelings of guilt and shame to the surface. In fact, this convinces me further that he had NO feelings for Loralei at that moment.
I don't have an idea what will happen between them in season 5, but I'm sure there will be a deep connection between him and Loralei, although I hope they won't put the emphasis on the "romantic" angle, simply because I can't stand Jane falling for killers, serial killer's minions or lunatics... I hated Erica Flynn, and what Loralei did in this finale didn't exactly endear her to me. So I hope they'll treat her as an adversary. No idea if he could turn her away from Red John. If he sees a chance, he might try- would be his best bet to make her talk, although it would waste much of the potential- I would rather watch him crack her in a duel of the minds :D.
What says Master Oogway in "Kung Fu Panda"? "The past is history, the future nothing but rumors"... for now, I'm bathing in my Jane/Lisbon-happiness and try not to spoil it by thinking too hard about Loralei happy ...

Thrill Date: Saturday, 26-May-12, 7:08 AM | Message # 7
Dinkie-Di

Very interesting take. I have been thinking a lot overnight about what we didn't see in E24. The 6 months in LV, was the whole seen in the bar engineered by RJ ......

the more I think about it though I think PJ did sleep with Lorelei. (how idi he fake sleeping for 12 hours when he is such a bad sleeper) I think that though RJ has some sort of hold on her (and it's not at all obvious why - she is hardly a social misfit) I don't think she is/was his mistress. I think in S5E2 she will tell PJ she is pregnant which will result in all sorts of conflicts within PJ as family is so dear to him. Will he believe it? Will he play along if he thinks it's a double bluff ( like agentM suggests) where does that leave Lisbon? Is it true? If so is it his??????? Lots of stuff to explore here.

The other question is who will take over at CBI and what sort of role will they have?

Ohh a whole winter of speculation!!!!! wacko

bee Date: Saturday, 26-May-12, 10:31 AM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

I was surprised Lisbon was interviewing Lorelei, I'd have thought the FBI would have been involved! Didn't they take over the case? Now that Wainwright is dead does that mean Jane is reinstated back at the CBI. I'd love to see Minelli return as the new CBI boss. I know he retired but I miss the banter he had with both Jane and Lisbon.

I think Jane knew that Lorelei was connected to RJ. After all, as has been said, he had been in LV for six months and he had had plenty of time to notice her and he knew her name. By sleeping with her this would mean he would be that closer to RJ. It would also give RJ the message that he wanted "to give up". I don't believe he was emotionally involved with Lorelei, by sleeping with her it was just "a means to an end". He was faking the whole time. He would have felt guilt and remorse if he was genuinely fond of her. This is Jane we are talking about...he has sought revenge on RJ for nine years and I don't believe he would give up that easily. It's what keeps him motivated and from going under. He faked his surprise when she revealed she worked for RJ and the smile he gave when she had left proved that his plan to get closer to RJ had worked. Don't forget Jane is a con man through and through and remember he fooled Lisbon and the team by faking his depression but who really knows....I find it difficult most of the time to fathom when he is genuine or when he is faking!! surprised

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 26-May-12, 10:37 AM

kul65 Date: Sunday, 27-May-12, 4:25 PM | Message # 9
Cobber

Here's my take on what will happen in the season premiere:

- The FBI takes over the Red John case, and thereby also Lorelei.
- Jane, knowing about the FBI mole, realizes Lorelei will not survive under FBI jurisdiction and has to spring her from captivity.
- A race ensues between Jane and the FBI mole in getting to Lorelei first.
- Lorelei is springed and stored somewhere by Jane (thus letting us see more of his darker side). Darcy's suspicions of him intensify. Lorelei grows fonder of Jane and is groomed towards giving him something valuable on Red John.

(I've posted the same thing on IMDb if it sounds familiar)

Message edited by kul65 - Sunday, 27-May-12, 4:26 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 27-May-12, 7:23 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Very interesting takes here! But still any idea about a crucial question. If PJ and Lorelei actually had sex, did they used a condom? happy

bee Date: Sunday, 27-May-12, 7:56 PM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

Let's hope so.....and I don't think Bruno would be that cruel!!!! surprised

Message edited by bee - Monday, 28-May-12, 8:19 AM

Thrill Date: Monday, 28-May-12, 4:34 PM | Message # 12
Dinkie-Di

I'm sure they did - how could he resist..... biggrin

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 28-May-12, 5:59 PM | Message # 13
True Blue

Thrill, what wild thoughts you have - I love it!
Lorelei being -or pretending to be- pregnant from PJ would be really weird! But thinkable.
And then we could see if they really had sex or he only put a suggestion on her to believe that.
I don´t really know what to think about that. In the past we could see him pulling himself away from getting too close Kristina Frye as well as Erica Flynn.
But this is different, he has no real feelings for Lorelei and(even if) we know he would do everything to catch RJ even if that means (physically) a betrayal on his wife.

I wonder how he will manage to keep her alive even if he might be able to turn her, to get closer to RJ. RJ will think about this eventuality as well, won´t he try to kill her? Or will he continue using her as a net to drag PJ closer to himself?
But then he would know that PJ knows that RJ knows.....
My brain hurts! wacko

AgentM Date: Monday, 28-May-12, 9:04 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Yeah, and PJ will manipulate RJ into thinking that PJ has been manipulated by RJ....someone pass me Lisbon's aspirin bottle! Oh what tangled webs we weave....! tongue

Nixenkind Date: Monday, 28-May-12, 10:08 PM | Message # 15
Jillaroo

I wonder about the killing-aspect, too... so far, Red John has killed every minion who got caught, or they have committed suicide- he would have to trust Loralei VERY much to leave her alive. And he has people in the FBI, so it should be fairly easy to kill Loralei.... question is, why should he leave her alive at all? Will get interesting, I guess...

Message edited by Nixenkind - Monday, 28-May-12, 10:09 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » Season 5 Speculation
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz