Saturday, 20-Apr-24, 6:51 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 06 Fire And Brimstone (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
06 Fire And Brimstone
Fran Date: Friday, 18-Oct-13, 10:27 AM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

6.06 Fire And Brimstone - Press Release

WITH THE FINAL CLUE IN HAND, JANE ATTEMPTS TO GATHER THE REMAINING RED JOHN SUSPECTS IN ONE PLACE IN HOPES OF FINALLY REVEALING HIS IDENTITY, ON "THE MENTALIST,” AT A SPECIAL TIME, SUNDAY, NOV. 3 DATE CHANGED TO 10TH NOVEMBER

Michael Gaston Returns as CBI Director Gale Bertram
Malcolm McDowell Returns as Bret Stiles
Drew Powell Returns as FBI Agent Reede Smith
Reed Diamond Returns as Ray Haffner
Xander Berkeley Returns as Sheriff Thomas McAllister

"Fire and Brimstone” — With the final clue in hand, Jane attempts to gather the remaining Red John suspects in one place in hopes of finally revealing his identity, on THE MENTALIST, at a special time, Sunday, Nov. 3 (10:30-11:30 PM, ET/CT, 10:00–11:00 PM, PT) on the CBS Television Network.
DATE CHANGED TO 10TH NOVEMBER

CHEAT TWEET: Eeny Meeny Miny Mo! Jane gathers all the #RedJohn suspects in one place. #WhatWillJaneDo #TheMentalist 11/3 http://bit.ly/16ebZ3a

SERIES REGULARS:
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS:
Michael Gaston (Gale Bertram)
Malcolm McDowell (Bret Stiles)
Drew Powell (Reede Smith)
Reed Diamond (Ray Haffner)
Xander Berkeley (Sheriff Thomas McAllister)
Robert Picardo (Jason Cooper)
Bobby Hosea (Joe Lamotte)
Russell Thomas (FBI Agent)
Emily Davenport (Visualize Disciple)
Brennan Feonix (Motorist)
Steve Bethers (Good Old Boy)
Peyton McCormick (Disciple #1)
Ana Isabel Mercardo (Disciple #2)

WRITTEN BY: Ken Woodruff
DIRECTED BY: John Showalter

Hayseed Date: Monday, 28-Oct-13, 5:31 AM | Message # 2
Bee's Knees

Holy crap!!!! Just saw the promo for this.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Stuff's goin' down.

Ivana Date: Monday, 28-Oct-13, 10:33 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

I hope that in these 3 "unholy trinity episodes" (06,07 and 08) we will see Jane in all his mentalist might and power. Angry and determined Jane with the gun, ready to finaly conquer his nemesis! Jimmy Gadd has said that all 3 can be watched as a movie. Can't wait! hands

bee Date: Monday, 04-Nov-13, 12:38 PM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

AFTER HAVING VIEWED THIS ONLINE AND ALREADY HAVING WRITTEN THE FOLLOWING I FIND THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT ACTUALLY SEEN THIS EPISODE YET DUE TO FOOTBALL IN THE U.S. SO SORRY FOR THIS, PLEASE DISREGARD THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE OUTCOME.

This was the most intense and emotional episode EVER! Nail biting stuff! The tension mounted from the first moment Jane asked the 5 remaining suspects to meet him at his Malibu home, all of them being highly suspicious in their own way. Asking Lisbon to meet with Haffner was a clever ploy although it seems she now owes him a favour. Wonder if that will come into play in future. Also sending Grace to ask Stiles was clever although it was left to Jane to finally convince him to go along with his plan. Seeing Stiles perched in Cindi's Flowers van was comical while Jane acted as a decoy. Stiles acting out his "ascension from this world to a world beyond" was a little disturbing. His placing the blood on the woman's face reminiscent of RJ painting Lisbon's face! So it would seem Stiles is dying! Shame, he may or may not be RJ but he's certainly a creepy character!

Loved all the scenes between Jane and Lisbon. The scene in his attic when she told him it was OK to kill RJ and Jane wanting to believe her. Loved it when he showed her the rifle and she said "Are you sure it's big enough?"
It was obvious she didn't believe him when he told her he wanted her to be with him when meeting the suspects.

The sunset scene was beautiful...but I felt really sorry for Lisbon here because he played her yet AGAIN! I have no doubt he truly meant it when he thanked her and told her what she meant to him, and the way he hugged her was heartfelt (even though he used it to pilfer her phone). She looked so happy and it was so mean-spirited of him to say he had something in the car for her and then just drive away and leave her, although I believe it was because he wanted to protect her as well as ensure he would be alone to take down RJ. But where was her gun? Did she leave it in the car? Loved the way she flagged down that motorist and just stole his car and phone and then drove like a madman to try and reach Jane. Her pleas on the phone to Jane were so very sad and one could tell she was so scared for him, but he just said "Bye Lisbon" and switched off his phone! Oh Jane!!

The saddest scene for me was Jane climbing the stairs and entering his bedroom for what could be the last time and him standing there and closing his eyes, perhaps asking for forgiveness from his wife and daughter for what he was about to do!

He appeared nervous while waiting for the five to arrive, constantly checking the rifle and handgun (the one Max Winter gave him I suppose) but one could visibly see his face change and his mask re-appear when hearing the first one to arrive. Wasn't surprised when more than one suspect had the 3 dot tattoo (a sign of the corrupt law enforcement agency perhaps). Not sure who fired the shot that was heard and why the building exploded though.

Truly an emotional episode and kudos to Ken Woodruff for his writing and Blake Neely, his music making the episode even more intense. Finally, stunning performances from both Simon and Robin. Can't believe how emotionally involved I am with two fictional TV characters!!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 04-Nov-13, 1:36 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 04-Nov-13, 5:07 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

I live in a part of Canada that got the rerun as well, so I streamed this episode. First time ever, and worked like a charm. Good review Bee. I must admit, the episode had me mesmerized as well. Brett Stiles painting the face was definitely evocative of Red John. Can't say enough about the Jane and Lisbon scenes. I will be definitely be rewatching on the tv this coming Sunday.

Evy Date: Monday, 04-Nov-13, 6:38 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

You're absolutely right Bee : this episode is the greatest of the season ! The most intense and emotional ! And a special mention to Blake Neely for the music. So beautiful !
A little part of responses about the suspects.
The suspense is there !

I have to watch again. I have only a wish : to watch the two next episodes ! Can't wait !

Message edited by Evy - Monday, 04-Nov-13, 8:35 PM

shoelady Date: Monday, 04-Nov-13, 8:16 PM | Message # 7
Jillaroo

streaming is not in my wheelhouse, so I'll have to wait 'til next Sunday to see this event. What dasterdly devils these honchos at CBS who think the world revolves around football. Pox on them!

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 05-Nov-13, 0:33 AM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

OMG! Where are TV awards shows when you need them? This one was an outright winner. I still haven't started breathing again yet!

Bee, your summary is incredibly accurate and I agree with everything you said, especially about the sunset scene --- I actually called Patrick a rather nasty name after he got in his car and abandoned poor Lisbon! It was so cruel to play her like that, even though I know he was doing it partly to protect her, and partly for selfish reasons. He knew she was playing him when she suddenly changed her mind about what Red John deserved to get, and so I guess he felt it was only fair to do the same.

Bret Stiles calling Jane his "dear boy" really made my ears prick up as it fits right in with my theory that Jane is actually his son. Jane's response "I'm not your boy" seemed (to me anyway) to be one of those statements that will be proven wrong in future episodes. I don't believe Jane knows about his real parentage, but I do believe Stiles does.

As for Stiles' imminent 'departure' from this world -- I think maybe he will tell Patrick the truth before he shuffles off this mortal coil - a deathbed confession perhaps ---- more angst for PJ.

Loved the tension in the episode though I figured that the tattoo would appear on more than one suspect ---- it was always going to fit in with the secret Tiger organisation that Bertram, McAllister and Smith are involved in - I knew it would be those three thanks to the previous meeting they had in Bertram's office when Smith asked how much Jane knew. As for RJ bearing the tattoo - maybe - Tensley only made the gesture when Jane asked her "who did this to you?" She never mentioned Red John. I believe a member of the secret organisation killed her, not RJ. It was too rushed for RJ - he likes to take his time, and there was no smiley. I'd put money on it being a hit from the Tiger organisation - maybe they feared she would give them away.

Stiles in the flower van was quite comical and reminded me of some of Jane's humorous moments in the past - they do share a lot of traits (PJ has a lot of English traits in him - I'd assumed it was because Bruno is English, but it could also apply if Stiles is his father)

I will definitely be watching it over and over --- incredible performances all round. I know I'm biased but I genuinely felt for Jane when he looked around his bedroom for that final time - Simon played it perfectly -- I almost saw the images/memories of his wife and daughter running through his head when he closed his eyes and seemed to drink in the spirit of the room. Then when he refocused on the smiley and reminded himself of his mission - wow. Nicely done Mr Baker, nicely done. hands

When he arrived at his house, Jane left the front door open and the keys on the side whilst he went upstairs. Did anyone else get the feeling that he did this deliberately? That maybe he was expecting someone to sneak in whilst he was upstairs? Then when he returned, he closed the door and locked it. It's just a feeling I got. Then when he announced that one of them in that room was Red John, I got the impression he wasn't necessarily talking to the five suspects in front of him.

Who or what was the cause of the shotgun going off? I don't know. Maybe someone else in the room surprised them all. Why did the house explode? Maybe a booby trap back up in case something prevented PJ from getting his man up close and personal?

On that note, what's with all the guns PJ? What happened to cutting him open and watching him bleed to death "like he did with my wife and child" -- I believe he stated that in season 1. I figured the handgun was the one Max Winters gave him, but then I'd also thought that was the one he used on Timothy Carter, and I'm pretty sure that one would be kept in an evidence lock up somewhere, not handed back to him!

Man oh man, I cannot wait for the next couple of episodes ---- in fact, I might have to go and watch this one again right now. Whoooooeeeee this show really knows how to get the blood pumping!!! Love it, love it, love it.

I still believe Partridge is Red John though despite what Bruno obviously wants us to believe about the remaining suspects .

Message edited by AgentM - Thursday, 07-Nov-13, 5:41 PM

Mossibecca Date: Thursday, 07-Nov-13, 4:04 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Loved the episode, held off posting at first as some of you girls haven't watched, but then I thought, there IS a spoiler warning, and no one would come here if they didn't want to so here goes, my two penn'rth.

Wonderful acting, wonderful writing, Just SO good.

Bee and Agent M have covered most of the things I thought of, just these few thoughts...
Just re watched...and a few thoughts. I had a bit of a problem with which ones were supposed to be the suspects....the spotty ones....or the unspotty ones explanation below....

At the beginning, when Cho & Rigsby were talking to Cooper...he said something to the effect, that Stiles wasn't in this reality (sorry can't remember the wording) ...those were the words that Lorelei used....'The killing of her Sister brought her to her full reality'...Stiles and Visualise have something BIG to do with this, so I have decided that it is the UNspotty men who are something with RJ.

Plus....I am SURE that Haffner's car went by Lisbon when she was walking which means HE should have been the first one there...all this while Jane went up to the(family's) killing room upstairs, he would have had enough time to set a bomb.....and he could also have brought Stiles with him. When Jane had all the spotty men together he turned his back on Hafner & Stiles....one of them could have shot one of the guns on the floor, and set off the bomb.

Loved the part where Jane went upstairs to get hyped up....so sad, you could see he needed to remember, and all he really wants to do is forget.

The bit with Jane & Lisbon in the sunset scene was beautiful...everything he said was the truth....including the bit where he said he had a surprise for her.....just NOT what she was thinking. I don't think he really wanted to leave her, there was that slight hesitation before he got into the car, that for me said he was trying to fix the memory of her (I'm a romantic fool!!) But he didn't want her to try to stop him (I didn't buy her change of heart either) or get hurt in the fight.

As you can see....if I can't have Partridge (I WANT Partridge cry stamps foot.) I will have someone from Visualize, and I don't think that Stiles is strong enough, and Hafner not smart enough...so a combination.....ooooh and also Ive had another thought (two in one day, I need to lie down!) when Jane shot Timothy Carter, he said that RJ wanted to retire....maybe if it was Stiles, he had just found out he was dying.

Message edited by Mossibecca - Thursday, 07-Nov-13, 4:08 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 07-Nov-13, 6:47 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Such a great and solid episode!
Good comments here, and there's so (too) much material to talk about. Don't know what I could usefuly add.

Quote Mossibecca ()
I had a bit of a problem with which ones were supposed to be the suspects....the spotty ones....or the unspotty ones explanation below.... (...) so I have decided that it is the UNspotty men who are something with RJ.

Clever, very clever. The whole debacle with the PI attempt to bug Cho's desk and her murder clearly has a "Tyger Tyger" conspiracy signature all over it. Bugging was the best way to have a closer look at Jane and the team, whom suspicion is already on the alert (they already know RJ has many friends in the CBI).
But Tinsley's murder was to sloppy for RJ. Jane focused on the tatto, but the young woman never says who her aggressor was, she just mentionned a tatto.
So yes, it's a huge possibility that tatooed men are only members of the corrupted law enforcement ring, who however might have connections with Red John, and Visualize. And that RJ doesn't have any tatoo.
So our main suspects are Haffner, Stiles… and, why not, maybe the "ghost" of Partridge, even maybe the twin brother of Kirkland wink

Geez, it just raises up other new questions…
Did Jane think about that? Did his mind get stuck on the tatoo clue, or did he have suspicions, did he use that tatoo thing as a trap during the confrontation with the 5 suspects? Yet, he said to Lisbon "RJ has a tatoo", and apparently, only us viewers know about the "Tyger Tyger" network. Is Jane wrong, as Mc Allister says? What do you think?

I don't recognise Jane's voice when someone screams "Wait! No!" just before the gunshot. Seems hardly probable that it's Jane shooting here. More likely Haffner or Stiles has picked up a gun and shot one of the 3 "spotty" men. I vote for McAllister. He seemed to freak out, contrary to Bertram and Smith who remained cold. McAllister may be the weak link, so he's killed.

Who set the bomb, Jane or RJ? What's your opinion?

And a last thing: does the RJ smiley on the bedroom wall look covered with a layer of white paint to you? I thought so, but I have a doubt…

AgentM Date: Thursday, 07-Nov-13, 9:12 PM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

DS, I guess the smiley is meant to look like it has faded ... it has been ten years, after all.

I'm not convinced RJ has a tattoo or killed Tinsley. As I said, it's probably a hit put out by the Tiger organisation due to the fact that Tinsley failed in her efforts to bug the team. Interesting that her brief was to get close to Cho, though. Why would anyone think he was the weak link in the team? Maybe they figured getting a Summer lookalike would appeal to him. It only goes to prove that the organisation have been watching each team member very closely.

Did Jane consider the fact that RJ may not have the tattoo? Who knows? Up to now we, the audience, have learned the clues along with Jane at the same time, maybe now Bruno is beginning a parting of the ways so-to-speak and including more dramatic irony -- I'm betting that we are gonna start finding/knowing things that Jane doesn't know about - it increases the tension for us as we start to sense the danger that PJ is in, when he doesn't. It's what I would do, as a writer.

As for the gunshot, I'm undecided...part of me thinks that it would be a shocker to kill Bertram at this stage, though I can't give a reason why other than it's what I would probably do just to mix things up even further - though I concede it may be unlikely. It does sound like him shouting "Wait! No!" though just before the gun goes off. Alternatively, DS has a point that, probably Haffner, reached for his gun, whilst Jane's back was turned - but I don't think he would shoot at Jane, more likely at someone who posed a threat to Jane - possibly someone none of us has seen. Could also be Stiles who shoots to protect Patrick?

The bomb? Jane knows how to prime a bomb - remember 'Carnelian Inc' in S1 - with the bomb under the bed? Diversionary tactics? Smoke and mirrors? Nope, I got nothing concrete on that one - still puzzling it over. wacko

Message edited by AgentM - Friday, 08-Nov-13, 5:18 PM

Tina Date: Monday, 11-Nov-13, 8:39 PM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

What an episode. Still shaken up. One of the best Jane/Lisbon scenes in this one! It really got more and more intense. Can't wait for the next episodes. It's crazy how much I care about this show! It's just the best. And didn't Simon says he's an untrained actor? Nobody could do better than him no matter what acting school somebody has visited. Robin also did a great job. A really good start into the RJ showdown. Don't think it's one of the three ...

shoelady Date: Monday, 11-Nov-13, 10:44 PM | Message # 13
Jillaroo

The 3 dotted tyger tyger gang is up to no good and the range of their bitterness will show up next week. It's still a toss up as to who is the real RJ, however, anyone without the dots gets my vote. Simon did an amazing job showing a whole range of emotions, his best asset as an actor. Was this the episode where the whole crew applauded at the end or am i thinking of #9 where he kills off his nemesis.

shoelady Date: Monday, 11-Nov-13, 10:44 PM | Message # 14
Jillaroo

I am at odds with the location. First Jane is in his house but then he walks back to his office and that is where the guests arrive. So the gun blast and the bomb are writer's props to lead us to the next episode. We know that neither RJ or Patrick are killed there, so??? Good acting, interesting to witness Lisbon's frustration and probably fear. Lots of answers coming in the next 2 episodes and of course the final showdown with RJ that ends with Patrick having to flee the country.

susanalt Date: Tuesday, 12-Nov-13, 6:29 AM | Message # 15
Blow-In

I still believe that RJ is Haffner and he is the one that blew up the building. Exciting episode, I'm counting the days 'til Sunday!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 06 Fire And Brimstone (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz