Friday, 26-Apr-24, 12:17 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Red John Clues (Facts we know about Red John)
Red John Clues
Fran Date: Monday, 02-Jul-12, 12:38 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

I thought it might be useful to have all the clues about Red John together in one place. So this thread isn't about speculation, its about any clues or facts that have been revealed.

I'll start it off with a couple off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others that people could add. When posting, please could you include the exact words (where relevant) and also the source of the clue.

Fran Date: Monday, 02-Jul-12, 12:38 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Red John likes to be cold.
(source: Bruno Heller interview for ‘Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly’)

If Roy Tagliaferro is Red John: "Just under 6 feet tall, not muscular but not soft either, short straight hair, a gentle voice, rough strong hands."
(source: Rosalind Harker’s description in 1.23 Red John's Footsteps.)

Wand612 Date: Monday, 02-Jul-12, 3:24 PM | Message # 3
Jillaroo

My summer project is to watch all the episodes of The Mentalist on DVD, looking for Red John clues. I watched the pilot last night (very good), and the meager results I got were:

- According to Patrick, Red John thinks of himself as a showman, an artist
- Possibly, Red John is a doctor. When talking about the Red John imitation killer, Patrick says that a Doctor can hack up another human being without difficulty

Idle observations and some speculation:
- In the episode, it's stated that the smiley face is drawn by someone wearing rubber kitchen gloves. In the opening sequence, the camera focused on a coroner's staff person carrying the stretcher. He had a tattoo of death on his arm, and was wearing rubber gloves. Did the camera focus on this person to show Jane's powers of observation, or was it a clue? I know that if I was doing a series, I would hide a really big clue in the first episode.
- When Patrick was addressing the tv audience about Red John, there was a solid red light in the background. The light reminded me of an eye, watching Patrick.

P.S. This will be tricky but fun. Tricky because Bruno has planted Red Herrings.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 12:51 PM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Wand, some interesting observations there that I hadn’t picked up on.

Here’s a few more obvious clues, which are nothing new, but worth including here for completeness:

RJ is able to attract both male and female disciples.
(evidence from various RJ episodes)

RJ appreciates music by Bach
(source: Music used in RJ eps and Bruno Heller interview for ‘Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly’)

RJ likes/identifies himself with William Blake poetry
(source: ‘The Tyger’ recited by RJ in 2.23 Red Sky in the Morning, and referenced in other episodes.
And Bruno Heller interview for ‘Le Mentalist de A à Z by Frédérick Rapilly’ -
Question: “(The Tyger). This one is always associated with another poem, The Lamb. Will that be important in future episodes?”
Answer: “Yes, because both texts are real submersions in Red John’s spirit. They allow us to understand what we could call the philosophy of this enigmatic and sophisticated murderer. These apparently simple texts are reflections about the nature of good and evil. It could almost be said that Red John is a murderer of philosophical dimension.”)

RJ had murdered 9 people before Jane’s family.
(source: Red John's Bodycount taken from the Portrait of Red John feature on Season 3 DVD. Jane's family are numbers 10 & 11.)

Wand612 Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 6:20 PM | Message # 5
Jillaroo

I wish I could go back and edit my post a bit, but that's life, I guess.

Thanks for starting this thread, Fran. You would think/hope that after 4 seasons (and counting) we will be able to gain some insight by doing this.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 6:28 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

Wand - you can edit your post, use the 'EDIT' button (bottom right of the post).

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 7:08 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

Fran, not sure if you've noticed, but the EDIT button seems to have gone walkabout!!! Only have access to QUOTE and REPORT for some strange reason! Maybe that's why Wand couldn't edit the previous post.

That said, it's just reappeared when I posted this post!!!! What's going on? Has RJ infiltrated the system and planted gremlins because he thinks we may succeed in finding all the right clues to his identity?! lol. biggrin

Message edited by AgentM - Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 7:10 PM

Fran Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 7:13 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

You can only edit your own posts so the button isn't there on other people's smile

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 04-Jul-12, 7:17 PM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Ooops! Silly me! facepalm I'm a little bit technologically challenged!! Thanks for putting me right! biggrin

"Red John makes mistakes"
(Bosco in 'His Red Right Hand)

Fran Date: Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 0:18 AM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

1.11 Red John's Friends

sylvia5993 Date: Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 3:46 AM | Message # 11
Bee's Knees

Many have assumed that this says :Red John is Many, or... could it possibly say he is married, or perhaps this was the first letters of his name, it is a conundrum that even PJ has not been able to solve, lets keep the clues coming.

bee Date: Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 9:06 AM | Message # 12
Fair Dinkum

When asked in an interview once Simon said that he believed that this message meant "He is many" so that is probably why it is assumed to be the case. However, whether this is true or just another red herring to confuse us I'm not sure. unsure

lenacr Date: Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 10:10 PM | Message # 13
Dinkie-Di

Brett Stiles has special knowldege re: Red John (and Jane).

In Season 4 'His Thoughts Were Red Thoughts' Brett Stiles justifies to Jane the fact that he is followed by body-guards, by saying the following:
'Oh, I wouldn't want you to mistake me for Red John and shoot me'.
Jane is obviously taken aback, and says nothing.

Earlier in Season 3, Brett Stiles had admitted that he knows a lot about Jane and RJ and had proven it too, at least re: RJ.
He had tipped Jane about Kristina's whereabouts (who had been abducted by RJ), as follows:
BS 'It seems that your friend John is planning a surprise party for you.'
Jane 'How do you know what RJ is planning?'
BS 'It doesn't matter'
Jane 'It certainly matters to me. How do you know what RJ is planning?
BS 'My dear, Jane, I know so much more than you or RJ could ever imagine. Accept this as a gift from a friend, or not'
and gives Jane the piece of paper with the address where KF is subsequently found.

lenacr Date: Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 10:29 PM | Message # 14
Dinkie-Di

I am under the impression that, since Jane joined the CBI (or at least since the start of TM) RJ's killings have been solely related to Jane (e.g. Bosco and his team, Bosco's assistant, the policeman, the students who faked RJ and almost had Jane killed. the reporter who interviewed Kristina, Panzer).
If my impression is true, here lies another clue.
But am I wrong?

Message edited by lenacr - Saturday, 14-Jul-12, 11:46 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Sunday, 07-Oct-12, 2:32 AM | Message # 15
Bee's Knees

I was watching the 2nd season episode where we 1st met Brett Stiles, and the last scene with Hightower, Jane and Stiles was very interesting. Hightower wins one over with Stiles, and then threatens him, telling him that the CBI would find a way to make the attempted bombing threat stick. Stiles tells her not to press her luck. And in the very next season, Red John frames her for murder. Coincidence or not?!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Red John Clues (Facts we know about Red John)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz