Wednesday, 01-May-24, 10:49 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Discussion
Tina Date: Saturday, 01-Feb-14, 9:43 AM | Message # 151
Fair Dinkum

Just started to watch TG too on my DVDs. Haven't watched in a long time. I really love this show and Nick!
I saw that it starts on German tv again too. Always good to have Simon on the schedule of tv smile

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 1:19 PM | Message # 152
Fair Dinkum

A nice review about The Guardian from tvtarts.net

Flashback Friday #1

The Guardian: Fallin - The name fit

amanda Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 4:22 PM | Message # 153
Cobber

@ DS : The link doesn't work for me !! sad

Juney Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 4:41 PM | Message # 154
Bee's Knees

It doesn't work for me either.

bee Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 6:21 PM | Message # 155
Fair Dinkum

Nor me! sad

Tassie Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 8:31 PM | Message # 156
Bee's Knees

It worked for me when I pressed 'search' under the 'this page can't be found' message. Then go to second feature on page and hit the Simon Baker part at the bottom of it.

bee Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 9:25 PM | Message # 157
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Tassie smile

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 20-Sep-14, 9:41 PM | Message # 158
Fair Dinkum

I don't know what happened, you need to type " Flashback Friday#1 " in the search field to find the page now…
Here is the article.

Flashback Friday #1

It’s not unusual for me to start watching a show because of an actor or actress. To be honest, most shows I’ve become fans of started out as “that new show with Wendy Moniz/Simon Baker/Frank Grillo/Nathan Fillion. I’m a fan of actors and I’ll gladly follow them from project to project when I admire their work.

As soon as I heard Wendy Moniz had joined the cast of The Guardian, I was all in. Thus began three seasons of gut wrenching emotion with some really pretty(and talented) people thrown in.

Fallin–the name fit.

Nicholas Fallin had truly fallen from grace. He had the money. He had the job. He had the class, but he didn’t have what he wanted most–his family. Burton Fallin, his lawyer father, loved him, but didn’t know how to show it. His mother died of cancer when he was a young boy and he had no siblings. Above all, he wanted to be wanted.

After being convicted of a drug charge, he was sentenced to community service in a legal services center–the point in the show where the fun really begins.

Let’s recap–You’ve got an emotionally stunted, recovering addict on probation who is desperate for his father’s approval. You’ve got a workaholic father who has no idea how to relate to his son. You’ve got a Legal Services Program (LSP) that specializes in the most destitute, depressing cases on earth….What more do you need?

Romance–that’s what. Enter Wendy Moniz. Louisa Archer enters the show halfway through the first season and promptly turns Nick’s world upside down The. For the next season and a half we are treated to the “will they/won’t they” dance until we finally get an answer.

And that’s just the beginning.

The Guardian wasn’t your typical feel good show. It didn’t wrap up every episode in a neat little bow. The endings weren’t always pretty. Sometimes life happened. Sometimes people got hurt. Sometimes the court got it wrong. Sometimes things happened too late. But it always felt real.

Sadly, The Guardian came to an end at the end of season three. In the three seasons the show aired, there were truly phenomenal moments from Simon Baker (Nick) and Wendy Moniz (Lulu). Dabney Coleman (Burton) and Alan Rosenberg (Alvin) also gave stellar performances. Their talent, along with some poignant writing from the shows creator, David Hollander made the show what it was. The finale was, what most people had come to expect from the show, honest, raw, and most of all–real.

And in a world of scripted reality tv, isn’t real a nice change?

The Guardian is available on DVD and through Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Juney Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 4:56 PM | Message # 159
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS. I don't actually agree with some of the sentiment written but it's nice to get different points of view.

redbird Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 5:13 PM | Message # 160
Dinkie-Di

Overall, I loved The Guardian but the part of the show that I liked the least was the romance between Nick and Lulu. Something about the Lulu character just didn't make sense. I hated where the show ended. I would have loved to see Nick running LSP.

By the way, The Guardian is no longer on Amazon Prime. I wanted to go back and watch it again a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that I'd have to pay for it if I wanted to watch it again.

Tina Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 5:32 PM | Message # 161
Fair Dinkum

I love the Guardian, but I don't like the way Lulu treats Nick after a while. She changed her behavior with him completely and I really can't see why because he hadn't done anything wrong.
I was happy he didn't end up with her because he deserves somebody who really loves him and somebody who shows her love to him. I couldn't see any love coming from Lulu ...I totally understood why he was unfaithful to her. She was so cold. I always felt sorry for Nick.
It seems he was only himself and not so tense with that police girl ...the problem was that he was so much in love with Lulu that he didn't see how good this girl was for him.

kim Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 5:00 PM | Message # 162
Bee's Knees

I liked that TG wasn't the typical feel good show. But I also felt that Simon wasn't allowed enough freedom in the character. I also thought that the writing for Lulu was too erratic. Hot and cold in no apparent rhyme or reason. I remember an interview with Simon where he talked a little bit about trying to bring some lightness to the Nick character, but was shot down by the director or writers. That said, Nick is the first Simon character that I loved and still watch from time to time. After watching TG I found his other projects. Nick is still a favorite.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 5:27 PM | Message # 163
Fair Dinkum

I don't get tired watching TG. Actually I fell in love with Nick first. He was the one who made the huge Simon fan of me, not Jane. I loved Jane from the beginning too, but Nick even more. He just touched me. It was totally strange for me that Nick and Jane is played both by Simon and it showed me how good Simon is as an actor! To play two characters in so different ways. Love them both so much!

Juney Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 5:47 PM | Message # 164
Bee's Knees

I agree Tinamarianne. I could hardly believe that the two characters were played by the same man. I know that is what acting is all about but some actors are always 'themselves' aren't they. It just shows just how good Simon is. I can't believe that he hasn't won awards for either TG or TM.

I also agree with Kim that the Lulu character spoilt the programme as the writers didn't seem to know what they wanted her to be. I wished at the time that she had gone to California and let Nick move on or perhaps find Kim (the policewoman) again. I also think that the Down's syndrome subject was unnecessary although very sensitively handled.

I haven't got the DVDs for TG so can only go on memory but I still love Nick Fallin.

DaboGirl Date: Tuesday, 18-Nov-14, 2:34 PM | Message # 165
Jillaroo

Quote tinamarianne ()
It was totally strange for me that Nick and Jane is played both by Simon and it showed me how good Simon is as an actor! To play two characters in so different ways. Love them both so much!

Quote Juney ()
I agree Tinamarianne. I could hardly believe that the two characters were played by the same man. I know that is what acting is all about but some actors are always 'themselves' aren't they. It just shows just how good Simon is. I can't believe that he hasn't won awards for either TG or TM.

Just started watching The Guardian and I agree Simon is fantastic and there is no part of Patrick Jane in Nick Fallon. Not even Simon's amazing smile!

Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz