The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
Thrill Date: Saturday, 02-Jun-12, 2:06 PM | Message # 16
Dinkie-Di

Hmmmm - sounds about right - I think Simon would want to put his all into this project and that isnt going to happen during a hiatus.. I'll still camp out in Margaret River when they do film it!!!!!

Tina Date: Monday, 04-Jun-12, 9:32 AM | Message # 17
Fair Dinkum

As much as I'd love to see Breath, really liked the book, I'd rather wait 10 years if PJ stays with us. I just love TM too much.
But it's definately a great part for Simon, I'd so love to see him play a surfer.
Tina

Juney Date: Wednesday, 20-Jun-12, 12:56 PM | Message # 18
Bee's Knees

I agree with you Tinamarianne, but wouldn't that mean that Simon would be too old (sorry) for the part? I think he would hate to have to have a stunt man for the dangerous bits.

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 20-Jun-12, 8:26 PM | Message # 19
Bee's Knees

Quote (Juney)
wouldn't that mean that Simon would be too old (sorry) for the part?

I don't think so Juney. The character of Sando is an older surfer -- Simon's in good health and physique and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. As for the dangerous bits - I think he'd probably have a stuntman anyway, being a family man he wouldn't want to take any unnecessary risks. Besides he's one of those guys who gets better with age (despite his hopes to the contrary!) so I for one would be happy to wait for him! tongue

Juney Date: Thursday, 21-Jun-12, 4:57 PM | Message # 20
Bee's Knees

Hi AgentM, I was replying to the 'ten years time' scenario. I admit I haven't read the book (heard it on the radio) so not sure about ages. Of course you are right about the stunts. Otherwise would be ideal for Simon. smile

AgentM Date: Thursday, 21-Jun-12, 9:21 PM | Message # 21
Bee's Knees

Hmmmmm Simon in ten years time - sorry, I missed that bit! - I still think he'd be able to pull it off - I've seen guys on Bondi Beach in their sixties who still surf and manage to look good doing it! Simon'll manage that for deffo! biggrin

Fran Date: Friday, 22-Jun-12, 1:45 AM | Message # 22
Fair Dinkum

I think 10 years time would be too long, 5 years would probably be OK. Its a while since I read the book, but I don't remember there being dangerous stuff Simon would need to do. There's surfing of course on big waves, which could be edited to look more exciting/dangerous if necessary.

Sando as described in the book isn't an exact match for Simon, but I think its a closer fit than many film adaptations. This is how he's described:

"The bloke had a mass of curly bleached hair and his beard was of the same stuff. He was a big man and muscular, with grey eyes. It was hard to tell his age but he had to be thirty or more and that made him a genuinely old guy."

He's also described as having "a casual authority in the way he surfed, a grace that made all our moves look jerky and hesitant". And also "He had an odd, dreamy way of speaking and we sat alongside him mesmerized".

Juney Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 5:39 PM | Message # 23
Bee's Knees

Only thirty. Oh dear. Still they could adapt the story but then Sando wouldn't fit in with the boys. A bit tricksy there but I'm sure he could do it. wink

Tassie Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 4:56 PM | Message # 24
Bee's Knees

Speaking from my advanced years Simon is almost a child. Of course he can play the part of Sando-Simon can do anything.

pip Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 11:31 PM | Message # 25
Cobber

I think Simon could pull the part off well enough. To a teenager anyone over 20 is old! tongue

Juney Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-12, 11:53 AM | Message # 26
Bee's Knees

This is very true Pip. I can just imagine SB surfing the waves. Oooooooh. Must get a cool drink or maybe a cold shower. wink

lqnt Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-12, 4:26 PM | Message # 27
Ankle Biter

A few reviews of the book I read a while ago mentions that Sando is 36 yo. Being 30 something in the 70s is like being 40 something nowadays, so It wouldn't be a problem if he films the movie at 46 when TM finishes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/may/10/fiction5

Peithon Date: Monday, 06-Aug-12, 1:48 PM | Message # 28
Rip Snorter

http://www.screendaily.com/news....ID=1846

Hilton and Petroni are partners in See Pictures, and are also in development on an adaptation of Tim Winton’s book Breath, about two young boys in a small coastal town who form an unlikely friendship with an older big-wave surfer, who pushes them to take risks that will have a deep impact on their lives.

See Pictures is producing alongside US producer Mark Johnson and Simon Baker, the Australia actor in The Mentalist. Johnson’s long list of film credits includes Rain Man, Donnie Brasco and The Notebook and his production company Gran Via makes the TV series Breaking Bad.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 06-Aug-12, 4:50 PM | Message # 29
Bee's Knees

Mark Johnson has produced amazing films and I hope Breath will be just as well constructed. Hoping Simon is still set to play the older surfer, he has the right Ozzie attitude, with a great script, could there be an Oscar there for him?

AgentM Date: Monday, 06-Aug-12, 8:14 PM | Message # 30
Bee's Knees

Quote (sylvia5993)
could there be an Oscar there for him?

lol...maybe now he's been asked to consult as an Academy member, maybe he could vote for himself? Ha ha! tongue

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz