Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
Thrill Date: Saturday, 26-Jan-13, 4:39 PM | Message # 31
Dinkie-Di

Couldn't resist this in our local paper yesterday

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest....m-waves

Margaret River is where Breath the book is based and where they will (probably) film it. Awesome wave!!

bee Date: Saturday, 26-Jan-13, 5:07 PM | Message # 32
Fair Dinkum

What a great picture, thanks Thrill. It looks dangerous! eek

Hayseed Date: Saturday, 26-Jan-13, 7:30 PM | Message # 33
Bee's Knees

I was not aware of this project at all. I certainly hope SB is able to make it - sounds perfect.

I have never read this story but I am going to order it. I loved Tim Winton's Dirt Music. (I think Russell Crowe was attached to a movie version of that one for awhile but it never got funded?)

Thrill Date: Sunday, 27-Jan-13, 8:00 AM | Message # 34
Dinkie-Di

It was Heath Ledger who was going to do Dirt Music but got offered the part in Dark Knight....

Heath was a Perth boy - this again from The West (digression I know) - but I had just read it before looked here.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/15959198/

Fran Date: Tuesday, 29-Jan-13, 2:44 PM | Message # 35
Fair Dinkum

Posting this here as well, so that this thread is up to date.

In this podcast Simon talks about 'Breath' (at 33 minutes) - and confirms it is still an early draft but that he won't be directing it, he has Australian Director Glendyn Ivin on board.

Meet the 'I Give It A Year' Filmmakers - free itunes podcast from Apple, I think you have to have itunes installed.
https://itunes.apple.com/au....71?mt=2

Thanks to Thrill.

Update: Video from Thrill of Simon's excerpts now in 'I Give It A Year' thread.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 30-Jan-13, 6:07 AM | Message # 36
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for posting the link.
Funny interview, and nice insights of how Simon is when working on a set.

Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 30-Jan-13, 12:10 PM | Message # 37
Bee's Knees

I couldn't watch as I don't have itunes......perhaps if someone does have it they could do a transcript?????? Please...... biggrin

Fran Date: Thursday, 21-Mar-13, 11:24 AM | Message # 38
Fair Dinkum

Included here for completeness - Simon quote from DS_Pallas' translation of Elle Italy article:

The actor-producer has a long list of projects for 2013, excepting of course the new season of The Mentalist. "I'm involved in the production of a film in Australia, and will also be in it as an actor. Shooting (or perhaps 'rehearsals) should begin shortly, and it's the adaptation of Breath, a book written by Tim Winton (one of the most famous living Australian authors). It's about surfing, dangerous life and friendship.

Thrill Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 2:18 AM | Message # 39
Dinkie-Di

This was in our local paper today (The West) - about a new surf movie shot in WA which is released here in May called Drift. It stars Sam Worthington (who is a Perth local although now lives in Hawaii). he talks about staring in another Tim Winton book - the Riders to be shot soon. I dont know how this affects Simon's plans for Breath - 2 surf movies from the 70s, shot in WA within a couple of years????

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/16816016/

Corrected - thanks .......

Message edited by Thrill - Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 3:44 AM

258pce Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 2:33 AM | Message # 40
Cobber

I think the movie that was released is called "Drift" and is about surfing. The novel by Winton called "The Riders" is not about surfing at all.

In any case, I'll be looking to see any decent, well-done movie about surfers. I'll also look forward to seeing the Margaret River scenery.....looks beautiful.

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 21-Apr-13, 12:13 PM | Message # 41
Fair Dinkum

I eventually put my hands on a copy of "Breath" and I've almost finished my reading. It's a great story, and I totally see why Mr Baker is interested in it. Must have touched something related to his own childhood and/or teenage years.

Fran Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 1:19 AM | Message # 42
Fair Dinkum

Quote (DS_Pallas)
It's a great story, and I totally see why Mr Baker is interested in it. Must have touched something related to his own childhood and/or teenage years.

Yes, I agree, and I think its authenticity is one of the strengths of the book. A 2010 article in ‘The Australian’ commented that for Simon the story holds personal resonances, and Simon commented "Winton's book captures the excitement and brutality of growing up in a way I've only experienced but have never been able to articulate" .

I think this could be a very beautiful film if the cinematography is done well, which I’m sure it will be. My one concern though is about the erotic asphyxiation scenes, and how that element of the story can be included without limiting the audience too much, both in terms of suitability and appeal. I was chatting to my Book Club friends about this, because I’d wondered if that part of the story could be omitted, but most of them felt that it was essential to the overall plot. We all agreed that including it made the screenplay a very difficult challenge, in fact some of them felt that it made the book unsuitable for adaptation as a film. I wouldn’t go so far as that, but I have to admit I don’t know how it can be portrayed in a way that won’t result in a restrictive classification and a limited non-mainstream audience.

AgentM Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 8:48 AM | Message # 43
Bee's Knees

Knowing how Simon seems to like doing something that is a little bit different, the challenge posed by that scene could be a reason he wanted to do it. He doesn't tend to go for the 'mainstream' movie audiences (it's just fortunate that some of them have turned out that way). Think about 'Not Forgotten' --- he did that after The Mentalist had become successful but it wasn't a mainstream hit. He chooses thought-provoking movies (Well, most of the time! Methinks Sex and Death appealed to his sense of humour!) and 'Breath' certainly fits into that category.

As for his personal experiences, I think I remember a scene where the main character talks about shifting bricks from one place to another to earn some money to pay for his board....I get the feeling Simon may have done that kind of thing once or twice...Also the reaction of the father figure in the book, I'd be just speculating but it may remind him of the more difficult aspects of his childhood and his mum's relationship. Either way it's a brilliant book and I know it will be a brilliant film adaptation.

Fran Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 9:53 AM | Message # 44
Fair Dinkum

Actually 'Not Forgotten' was filmed before 'The Mentalist' was successful, but of course I agree that Simon likes to do challenging and thought-provoking projects (I actually think 'Sex & Death 101' is thought-provoking being much more than just a racey comedy). However, I think Simon's main interest in Breath is for the reasons he quoted, not because of a challenging erotic asphyxiation theme. And even if Simon is happy for his film to be non-mainstream, it still needs an audience. I think its unlikely that there are any similarities between Pikelet's relationship with his parents and Simon's relationship with his mother and step-father, but there may be some parallels with Loonie's father.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 1:19 PM | Message # 45
Fair Dinkum

Interesting speculations… But we'll never know, do we? happy
Though I was thinking more about the experience of surfing, the challenges, rivalry and fights between the boys, the fear, the dangers and the adrenaline rush as you're pushing forward the boundaries, the hormonal turmoil and the discovery of sexuality, etc.
I don't think Simon has really met someone guru-like as Sando, but he mentionned recently, asked who were his heroes, that he didn't have any, but that his "heroes" were some of his friends, so he may have had friends he admired and with whom he created some great emulation and challenge.

About the erotic asphyxiation theme, I think you can talk about any difficult topic in a film, as long as it's skillfully alluded in the writing and the filming.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz