Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
Fran Date: Thursday, 06-Nov-14, 8:03 PM | Message # 61
Fair Dinkum

Simon quote, included here for future reference
(excerpt from November 2014 Haute Living interview posted at http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/load....1-0-246 )

I’m focusing on a film that I want to direct. It’s a coming of age story; two teenage boys in Australia. It’s adapted from a book called “Breath” by Tim Winton. There’s a lot of stuff, a lot of options [things I could do after], but I kind of feel like I have to go where my heart is. My heart is kind of in that field, it’s riskier. Not necessarily behind the scenes, but definitely being a bit more responsible for what I’m working on.

kim Date: Thursday, 06-Nov-14, 11:56 PM | Message # 62
Bee's Knees

I hope that he still feels up to the role of Sando. I think that it would not be a big deal with the age difference. And we would get to see more of Simon surfing!!!

Fran Date: Friday, 14-Nov-14, 6:16 PM | Message # 63
Fair Dinkum

GREAT NEWS

Simon has confirmed on Instagram that his current plan is to direct and star in Breath:

http://instagram.com/p/vU2H-Dsx9R/

Ivana Date: Friday, 14-Nov-14, 6:39 PM | Message # 64
Fair Dinkum

Oh, this is great news Fran, I am so happy

Deedee Date: Friday, 14-Nov-14, 7:22 PM | Message # 65
Bee's Knees

Ah fantastic news Fran, thanks for that. It seems that we have much to look forward to.

Tina Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 8:49 AM | Message # 66
Fair Dinkum

I could hug the whole world today. I was so worried he would only direct. Would have ruined the movie for me. I can't picture anybody else as Sando.
Okay, now I can move on too. I love TM, but it's okay now for me that it ends. I hope we get a real nice ending, and I can watch my DVDs with 150 + episodes.
So much looking forward to Breath. I think I have to read the book again. It's been a while that I read it.

bee Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 9:56 AM | Message # 67
Fair Dinkum

I'm like you Tina, so happy that we now have Breath to look forward to especially as Simon will star in it. Simon is made for the part of Sando and it will be interesting to see who is cast in the other roles. We have much to look forward to and with Simon's amazing acting and directing talents I know the film will be a huge hit for him plus we hopefully get to hear that beautiful Australian accent as a bonus!

Tina Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 10:38 AM | Message # 68
Fair Dinkum

I just ordered a German copy of Breath. I have the English version, but now that it's getting serious I want to read it in my language.
I'm so excited. All the sadness about the end of TM is gone now. I know this is going to be such a great movie, with Simon acting and directing. He is a great director, too. I just watched "Blinking Red Light" a few days ago and for me this is the best made TM episode. Simon is just fabulous as director.
And to see him surf, and hear him talk Australian ...yes all this is just so wonderful. We get a more casual Simon in this movie. Not always suits. I love that.
This news really made my day! I wonder when they start shooting ...he sure takes some great Christmas vacation first...
I'm confident there will be some great people involved who will "feed" us with info and pics over twitter biggrin
I'm so happy today!

Fran Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 11:06 AM | Message # 69
Fair Dinkum

I had a twitter 'conversation' last night with someone who seemed to think Simon should play the adult Pikelet. I really don't get that - I've read the book twice and hardly remember anything about that character. But I saw Sando as a charismatic character who acts as a catalyst in the boys lives, and it was Simon I visualised in that role.

I think this will be a very beautiful film. I really hope we get updates on progress, and I'd be interested to know the budget Simon's working with, as an independent film I guess it will be relatively small.

Quote tinamarianne ()
I just watched "Blinking Red Light" a few days ago and for me this is the best made TM episode. Simon is just fabulous as director.
I agree - that's my favourite 'serious' episode.

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 1:11 PM | Message # 70
Fair Dinkum

Quote Fran ()
I had a twitter 'conversation' last night with someone who seemed to think Simon should play the adult Pikelet.

I thought that too. As Simon meant to make his film around 2008 when he was 38, he was credible in the role of Sando. But " The Mentalist" posponed the project, and he seemed reluctant now he is 45 to play that character.

I can understand that (even if the fan in me will be very disappointed), as Sando has some very physical surfing scenes with the boys and maybe Simon thinks at his age it would be difficult to rise to the challenge? Or simply because Sando's character is much younger in the novel and he won't be credible anymore?

So playing the character of the boy when he's an adult makes sense (he's the narrator at the beginning and at the end of the novel if I remember well). Or he could even play the boy's father…

This said, there are still stunt doubles for risky surfing scenes smile

coral Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 5:14 PM | Message # 71
Cobber

Quote DS_Pallas ()
As Simon meant to make his film around 2008 when he was 38

Simon didn't buy the film rights until November 2009 and he would have known it would probably take at least a couple of years to get the project off the ground yet he said then that he was keen to play the part of Sando.

DS_Pallas Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 5:18 PM | Message # 72
Fair Dinkum

Quote coral ()
yet he said then that he was keen to play the part of Sando.

And I hope he's still keen on doing it!

kim Date: Saturday, 15-Nov-14, 10:09 PM | Message # 73
Bee's Knees

It's very exciting to think about Simon as Sando! I agree too with comments about seeing Simon in a more casual setting. I adore his accent and can't wait to hear it in this movie. I am with you DS_P that I hope he's still feeling up to the part.

Fran Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 3:22 AM | Message # 74
Fair Dinkum

I don't think there's any real evidence to support the idea that Simon seemed reluctant to play Sando (there's a lot more evidence that he's keen to do so). There was a French magazine interview a while ago that suggested he would be directing not acting, but things like that are frequently unreliable. It sowed a seed of doubt in my mind though, which meant I was afraid that in the recent interview in Haute Living, the omission of any mention of Simon starring in the film might be significant. Happily we've now learnt that Simon plans to star in the film, so in fact it wasn't significant at all.

I can't see that Simon's age is any sort of stumbling block for him to play Sando, - as has been mentioned before, the ages of characters are often changed in film adaptations (e.g. Emma Thompson was 36 when she played Elinor Dashwood in her highly acclaimed version of Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility - Elinor is 19 in the book).

As for the surfing, I don't really understand why people are concerned about that. We know that Simon is a very experienced and still active surfer. And part of the magic of film-making is to make things appear more risky and dangerous than they actually are. I don't think Simon will need to do anything more dangerous than what he normally does on one of his surfing holidays. And if he does want to include some genuinely risky footage, then he can do some long-shots of one of his Aussie Pro Surfer mates.

Tina Date: Sunday, 16-Nov-14, 2:43 PM | Message # 75
Fair Dinkum

I have absolutely no doubt that Simon is capable of doing the surf scenes in the movie. He's been surfing since he was 7 or 8 years old. And we all know he takes any opportunity to go surfing and that he is really good at that. He's only 45 years old! I' m 45 too and I don't feel old at all. About Sando being in his 30s in the book...that's not so much different to Simon's age. There are men in their 30s who look older. And Simon really looks so good and young. I really can't picture anybody else as Sando. When I read the book it was so clear to me that it's the perfect character to play for him. I'm sure he will be happy to combine hobby and work. I know how great that is since I have my little shop. Being a passionate knitter since I was a kid I have the perfect job now. And Simon being a passionate surfer sure will love to play one in a movie.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz