The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Breath
Juney Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 5:40 PM | Message # 46
Bee's Knees

I haven't read 'Breath'. Is it worth looking out for?

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 6:12 PM | Message # 47
Bee's Knees

By all means, getting to know why Simon is the way he is, you must read this book. The relationships formed as teenagers growing in Australia is truly captured in Tim's book and reveals the kinship Simon had with his mates.

Fran Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 7:05 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

Quote (DS_Pallas)
I was thinking more about the experience of surfing, the challenges, rivalry and fights between the boys, the fear, the dangers and the adrenaline rush as you're pushing forward the boundaries, the hormonal turmoil and the discovery of sexuality, etc.

Yes, that's certainly how I interpreted Simon's comment.

Quote (DS_Pallas)
About the erotic asphyxiation theme, I think you can talk about any difficult topic in a film, as long as it's skillfully alluded in the writing and the filming.

Mmm, I've wondered if they would just refer to these experiences rather than show them explicitly.

DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 8:06 PM | Message # 49
Fair Dinkum

Yes, me too. depends if they choose a "raw" angle for the overall tone, or the more "metaphorical" angle for the on screen adaptation!

AgentM Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 9:14 PM | Message # 50
Bee's Knees

Quote (AgentM)
the challenge posed by that scene could be a reason he wanted to do it

Not quite sure why I wrote that...it wasn't quite what I meant (hey, it was early in the morning, my brain wasn't up yet!) I don't think he chose to do the film because of that particular scene...I think what I meant was the challenge of filming something as difficult and sensitive as that could be something that would appeal to him. That's all.

Quote (Fran)
Actually 'Not Forgotten' was filmed before 'The Mentalist' was successful

Could have sworn he mentioned filming it during an interview (possibly Letterman) stating that he'd been filming until the early hours and yet the town waited for him to come out so that he could do photo calls before he left...I thought it was because they knew him from TM --- my bad!

Fran, maybe you know...What film did he do between season 1 and 2? And which one was filmed in Cordell, Oklahoma?

Quote (DS_Pallas)
...the experience of surfing, the challenges, rivalry and fights between the boys, the fear, the dangers and the adrenaline rush as you're pushing forward the boundaries, the hormonal turmoil and the discovery of sexuality, etc.

Yeah, DS, those are all good reasons for him probably wanting to do it!

Fran Date: Monday, 22-Apr-13, 11:39 PM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

Quote (AgentM)
Fran, maybe you know...What film did he do between season 1 and 2? And which one was filmed in Cordell, Oklahoma?

I'm not absolutely sure about his Season 1 hiatus, but I think that's when he filmed "Women In Trouble". Filming in Cordell was "The Killer Inside Me" in 2009 during Season 2 hiatus.

Peithon Date: Tuesday, 23-Apr-13, 0:39 AM | Message # 52
Rip Snorter

Not Forgotten was filmed in New Mexico and Mexico before Simon did the TM pilot. So many reasons I can see Simon wanting to do Breath. A tailor made role for him in Sando, the exploration of a love affair between a minor and an adult which Simon has admitted recently, close friendships (after all Simon hated his home life and must have relied much on them for support), competition, having a hard scrabble youth, surfing etc. I also agree the suffocation sex kink can be shown if it is tastefully handled as it is an important part of the story. I absolutely loved the lyrical ending.

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 23-Apr-13, 8:40 AM | Message # 53
Bee's Knees

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys....so much information about the man, sometimes it just gets all blurry in my head! wink

Juney Date: Wednesday, 24-Apr-13, 11:24 AM | Message # 54
Bee's Knees

Did Simon hate his home life? I hadn't heard that before. surprised

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Wednesday, 24-Apr-13, 6:18 PM | Message # 55
True Blue

Juney, At least in some interviews (e.g.:CBS Sunday Morning 2012) he stated his childhood was difficult with his parents getting divorced and his strained relationship with his step-father (That is also why he wants to be a good Dad)...

Juney Date: Thursday, 25-Apr-13, 5:31 PM | Message # 56
Bee's Knees

Thanks BBB I hadn't seen that. It happens quite often I suppose.

pip Date: Sunday, 28-Apr-13, 10:01 PM | Message # 57
Cobber

Juney,,,,,Breath wa one of those books that stayed with me. it evokes Australian surfer culture in a way that really captured my imagination, Definately read it. its available on Amazon. book

Juney Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 3:39 PM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

I expect it's on any earlier post, but who is the author.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 4:04 PM | Message # 59
Bee's Knees

@Juney, Breath was written by Tim Winton, I loved it, it is a window to a time and way of life completely different to anything I have known....really hoping that Simon gets on with it soon!!

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 29-Apr-13, 7:51 PM | Message # 60
True Blue

I´d love to see Simon !

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » Breath
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz