Friday, 19-Apr-24, 3:57 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
02 Devil's Cherry
beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 6:39 PM | Message # 16
True Blue

Wow, what a grrrreat episode, sooo funny and so sad at the same time! (didn´t read the comments above, yet, so I hope I am not alone with my feelings about this...)
From the beginning:
Simon looks just gorgeous! So young somehow! Some really good shots of him - and his smile: ...sigh....!
Dove was lovely , she didn´t dissapppoint my expectations at all.

"I am so thirsty - would you bring me some water, BellaDonna?" And BellaLisbon literally jumped up to get him some...

Funny, I was wondering why he finds his car parked in front of the hospital - could only be another hallucination, an ambulance, maybe - and yep, it was...
I loved his: "I was talking to the hallucination!" towards Lisbon in that scene!

A little bit too much, I think, how his hallucinations lead them to the neighbour-house (the rabbit, okay, but the butterfly and the eagle and even those Gartenzwerg-figurines (whatever they may be called in english)??? I mean, he wasn´t really there befor, was he?

I really loved how they tricked the neighbour!

The ending: OMG, He stole the Belladonna-tea to see his daughter again! Please, just don´t let him become addicted to that stuff!

I will read your comments now and then rewatch...

bee Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 7:43 PM | Message # 17
Fair Dinkum

Interesting facts about butterflies: They are supposed to symbolise letting go of old behaviour and moving into the next phase of existence. They are the symbol of change and transformation. In the Old World they were thought to be the spirit of the dead and associated with the soul. Spooky eh! Could this relate to Jane in some way? He noticed the butterfly outside the window, it led him up to the neighbour's window and she had a butterfly on her teacup! Could it also mean he may be ready to move on as Charlotte wished?

Message edited by bee - Monday, 08-Oct-12, 8:56 PM

Wand612 Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 8:51 PM | Message # 18
Jillaroo

thanks for the really interesting information about butterflies, bee.

lenacr Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 10:48 PM | Message # 19
Dinkie-Di

Very good episode, but rather sad... All about loss and wanting to be with people gone for ever...
I have just watched it once. I also had trouble making out the dialogue between Patrick and Charlotte; I was turning up and up the volume, but to no avail! I'll try with headphones, maybe that will do the trick.
I was expecting to be happy at the end - according to Dove's information - but I did not. I also hope he was just drinking simple tea and not consuming a hallucinatory at the last scene...
I believe too that his subconscious (here via Charlotte) is telling him to quit this long, avenging war against RJ and carry on with his life, but his every-day felt strong feelings of loss do not seem to permit that.
Thanks for the info. about butterflies. Moths, butterflies, flies and in general flying insects were supposed to carry people's souls to the other world in Greek tradition. So, when there was a death, people in the family avoided killing flying insects (not mosquitos!!!), especially those that seemed to appear suddenly almost like out of nowhere, for the next day or so, because they might be interrupting the soul's passage to the next life. Yes, it sounds macabre, but in the countryside, this belief still holds, sort of subconsciously.
Maybe, the butterfly seen by Patrick symbolizes his own transformation which his subconscious wishes or has to do with Charlotte and her being in another world or simply has to do with the death under investigation or ...

Message edited by lenacr - Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 9:28 AM

bunnyt Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 11:54 PM | Message # 20
Jillaroo

Beautiful!Absolutely beautiful!!This was one of the best episodes I've ever seen!
The chemistry between Jane and Charlotte was amazing and really...real!!:-) And I agree with Nixenkind: there are a lot of little moments in which we can see that the relationship between Jane and Lisbon has grown up...I think that the best moment is when he says "Teresa, you can call me Patrick"...His eyes said more than words...And if we consider that Charlotte was only part of his mind, Jane's feelings are clear..
Bruno Heller seems to have clear ideas for this season...:-)

Wand6122360 Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 5:44 AM | Message # 21
Bee's Knees

Just a side note... The murderer in this episode was Mrs. Cahan from Something New. As soon as I heard her voice I knew that I knew her.

bee Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 10:15 AM | Message # 22
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Lenacr about the headphones tip. Tried it and it was much clearer. With the volume turned right up I could have been in the room with them. (I wish!)

Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 4:56 PM | Message # 23
Fair Dinkum

To be honest, I don’t usually like dream sequences, with the exception of The Guardian’s Beautiful Blue Mystic which had a lot of dramatic edge and was mainly built around Nick’s memories. By contrast, I didn’t feel there was any real drama in Devil’s Cherry, and although there were a few memories, it seemed to be mainly about Jane’s subconscious, questioning himself about his RJ obsession and his feelings for Lisbon. So, although at times I found it a little slow-moving, I enjoyed the episode and thought it gave us an interesting insight into what’s going on in Jane’s head, whilst giving us some lovely touching moments and some very funny ones too. And of course, a stunning performance from Simon.

Most of my favourite scenes seemed to involve a bunny (either real or imagined). I thought all the scenes people have mentioned, the ones with Charlotte, were very good. Although I was a bit frustrated on first viewing that I found it so difficult to understand the dialogue when Jane was in the strait-jacket, and for me it spoilt that wonderful scene. I managed to understand it all in the end, it was easier on my laptop than on the TV.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I still don’t understand how Jane could have seen the gnomes and entrance to the garden where he met Charlotte, which enabled them to appear in his hallucination. He did park outside that house and he looked towards it, so possibly he could have seen the gnomes, but I don’t think the entrance to the walled garden was visible.

Did anyone else think Rigsby seemed irritated that Cho answered his phone? I was a bit surprised by that, because I don't think we've seen any hint of that before.

It seems unlikely to me that Jane would have risked taking Belladonna at the end, considering it had landed him in hospital getting his stomach pumped. Perhaps he was drinking the same type of tea (raspberry hibiscus was mentioned), hoping that the smell and taste would bring back the memories.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 5:10 PM | Message # 24
Bee's Knees

Fran, your review was a bit like how I felt about the episode. I think I may watch it again too because I have a head cold and head colds and trippy episodes don't mix. The garden thing was confusing though it didn't look quite the same, it is Jane though and his memory, so I think he probably did see it before he went into the house. I agree about the strait jacket scene. If I didn't have a DVR I wouldn't have been able to understand it.
Did anyone else think Rigsby seemed irritated that Cho answered his phone? I was a bit surprised by that, because I don't think we've seen any hint of that before.

I think Rigsby irritation stemmed simply from the fact that he was waiting on a call from Clooney. As in George Clooney. Who of course was on the line when Cho answered. I think that's all it was. He was hoping to talk to a famous person and Cho stole his chance.
It seems unlikely to me that Jane would have risked taking Belladonna at the end, considering it had landed him in hospital getting his stomach pumped. Perhaps he was drinking the same type of tea (raspberry hibiscus was mentioned), hoping that the smell and taste would bring back the memories.

Thank you! I've been seeing this all over Live Journal, Twitter and other forums. People freaking out that Jane's now going to be a drug addict. I also don't think Jane would ever give up his control like that. And he's seen enough of the world to know that the next hallucination might not exactly be his daughter. If we'd just seen him brooding over a cup of tea (like countless other times) noone would have said anything. It was the fact that he used a tea ball and loose leaf to make it instead of a tea bag (all done I think to "shock" the audience).

Green Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 5:26 PM | Message # 25
Surfie

Seems to me that it was implied the tea had bella donna in it, else why the bag, teaball, non-tea looking stuff in the tea (at least it looked different from all the loose tea I've ever seen, even in tea plantations) - That said, it doesn't mean he will become addicted to it- I think they often have things occur in an episode that are never referenced again in later episodes- even though they could have used some follow up- smile

Alejandra Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 5:43 PM | Message # 26
Ankle Biter

The end with Jane drinking tea, remember me the episode 2x15 when Lisbon drank alcohol in his office. So in principle I think will not have relevance that scene.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 6:17 PM | Message # 27
Bee's Knees

I think they often have things occur in an episode that are never referenced again in later episodes- even though they could have used some follow up- smile

No kidding. One of my biggest pet peeves about the show actually. Ah well.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 7:14 PM | Message # 28
Fair Dinkum

Quote (Green)
Seems to me that it was implied the tea had bella donna in it, else why the bag, teaball, non-tea looking stuff in the tea

Because it made for a more compelling scene, and created uncertainty in the minds of the audience. Bruno has admitted that he likes doing that, and its a good technique because as we can see, it generates discussion about the show biggrin

Green Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 10:50 PM | Message # 29
Surfie

Just came across this on Tumblr from robins-green-shades

Dialogues between Jane and Charlotte

Charlotte: Red John, Red John, Red John. I am so over Red John.

Jane: You’re not my daughter. My daughter was murdered. I found her body.

Charlotte: “You are safe, you are loved, and you are wise”.

Jane: who told you those words?

Charlotte: You did. Every night when you tucked me into bed.

Jane: You’re not real. You’re an hallucination.

Charlotte: Depends on your point of view, I suppose. It’s the only reality that I know.

Jane: So…you’re my daughter. Well, at least how I imagine my daughter to be all grown up.

Charlotte: Do I meet your approval?

Jane: You’re a bit lippy.

Charlotte: Yeah, I get that from you. Hey, you didn’t exactly turn out the way I expected, either.

Jane: What’s that supposed to mean?

Charlotte: What happened to you? I’ve been dead for ten years, and you’re still stuck in neutral? You have no life, just this endless obsession. Red John. Red John. Mom would not be happy.

Jane: Well, my relationship with your mother is, uh… it’s my business. Show a little respect.

Charlotte: Hello, I’m a figment of your imagination. Show yourself some respect.

Charlotte: Why do even work for the CBI, anyway?

Jane: You know why. To catch Red John.

Charlotte: Okay. Whatever.

Jane: What does that mean? “Okay, whatever”?

Charlotte: Well, to be honest, Dad, your obsession’s a little creepy and weird, you know.

Jane: What? I do it all for you. And your mom.

Charlotte: Yeah. And I hate to be the one to break this to you, dad, but… there’s nothing that you can do for us. We don’t give a damn what happens to Red John. I mean, we’re dead. Gone. And you need to start dealing with that.

Jane: I deal with that every day.

Charlotte: Maybe that’s the problem.

Charlotte: All righty then. It’s been real.

Jane: Hang on. Where— where are you going?

Charlotte: Hello, I’m practically a grown woman. I don’t need to tell you where I’m going.

Jane: No, yeah, I— I-I know, but… You’re coming back.

Charlotte: I love you, Dad.

Jane: Wait.
#the mentalist #patrick jane #charlotte jane #dove cameron

lenacr Date: Tuesday, 09-Oct-12, 11:46 PM | Message # 30
Dinkie-Di

Thanks so much, Green, for the dialogue!!!

I would like to go back to the house with the gnomes, the garden and Charlotte. Honestly, the first time I watched the episode I was sure that this was the house of the neighbour/killer. But on second viewing, I find that this house is opposite to the victim's and cannot belong to the neighbour/killer, whose house seems to be next to the victim's on the left-hand side.
Am I right?
And so, the trip to the garden is not related to the case at all???
It only has to do with hallucinating Charlotte???
And yes, Fran, I don't think either that Jane could have seen the gate to the garden; the gnomes maybe. And it seems to be the same gate in the hallucination and in the real scene when he visits with Lisbon.
I am confused....

Anyway, Simon's acting superb!!!!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz