Friday, 19-Apr-24, 7:05 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
02 Devil's Cherry
Fran Date: Friday, 28-Sep-12, 5:57 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

5.02 Devil's Cherry

While the team investigates the murder of a diamond cutter, Jane meets a girl who claims to be his late daughter, Charlotte, on THE MENTALIST, at a special time, Sunday, Oct. 7 (10:30-11:30 PM, ET/9:30-10:30 PM, CT/10:00-11:00 PM, PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS
Simon Baker (Patrick Jane)
Robin Tunney (Teresa Lisbon)
Tim Kang (Kimball Cho)
Owain Yeoman (Wayne Rigsby)
Amanda Righetti (Grace Van Pelt)

GUEST STARS
Cameron Meyer (Medical Examiner)
Lee Garlington (Betty Fulford)
Soledad St. Hilaire (Maid)
Wayne Baldwin (Elderly Man)
Dove Cameron (Charlotte)
Dean Cameron (Doctor)
Yani Gellman (Julian Gallego)
Charlene Amoia (Melaina Mendelssohn)
Ajay Mehta (Fahad Ranjani)

WRITTEN BY: Daniel Cerone
DIRECTED BY: Randy Zisk

Thrill Date: Friday, 05-Oct-12, 0:36 AM | Message # 2
Dinkie-Di

Not sure if this should go here - but Dove Cameron has posted some YT video talking about lots of things including being Charlotte and being a huge Mentalist fan then guest staring on the show.. I have made an edited version with only the bits about Simon and Devils Cherry
Dove Cameron talks about Simon Baker and Devils Cherry

Peithon Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 6:13 AM | Message # 3
Rip Snorter

Superb, period.

Geli Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 8:36 AM | Message # 4
Surfie

I find this an intriguing and moving episode. Why did Charlotte have her arms crossed so much of the time? I didn't see Patrick and her try to touch. How the neighbor said she got the victim to hurt himself was quite chilling. I wonder what kind of tea Jane was brewing at the end, hope he's not purposefully trying belladonna to try to have hallucinations again of his daughter or maybe his wife. Quite somber the view from outside through his window which makes it look like he's behind prison bars. He looks pretty lonely.
There were several scenes where I had trouble understanding the dialogue, usually between Charlotte and Patrick, like the microphones weren't placed well for recording. Other people found this too? Could this have been fixed by the sound people, or was this on purpose? When Jane was strapped down in the hospital I think Charlotte asked him if there was someone, he seems to pass out and then starts saying Lison's name, but this doesn't necessarily mean her name is the answer to what his daughter was asking. So I'll have to rewatch this trying to decipher some of the things said. Is the GPS a clue?
One of my favorite parts was the rattling pot and the scenes with the rabbit. Rigsby's concern is touching. Tim Kang seemed to have a hard time keeping a straight face when he offered Jane to sit on a chair in the kitchen. For me Simon Baker is definitely a brilliant actor, I do look forward to seeing him in other roles too eventually.

bee Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 10:21 AM | Message # 5
Fair Dinkum

So much going on in this episode that I don't know where to start but this has got to be one of the most moving episodes ever! Having said that it also had its lighter, funny moments in true Mentalist fashion. Kudos to Daniel Cerone he is a genius. One wonders if Jane had actually read Alice in Wonderland to his daughter when she was little! We see Jane at his most vulnerable and I believe that the hallucinations were his subconscious telling him he wants to move on with his life but he cannot because of his guilt and grief. Charlotte telling him that she doesn't care about RJ and that he should move on was a telling moment.

Have to admit wasn't really interested in the diamond cutter's murder, too caught up in Jane's story but I have to say that I didn't guess who the murderer was! I loved the rabbit scene with the rattling pot ....it made me so curious as to what was in the pot. Jane chasing the "bunny" and the Scandinavian couple and Lisbon finding the gnomes was hilarious. By the way I loved Jane and Lisbon's Scandinavian accents! Also loved Lisbon's constant concern for him, trying to get him to go back to the hospital....does this woman never stop caring for him?

All the scenes with Charlotte were very emotional, I think she played the part well but, yes Geli I also found the dialogue between Jane and Charlotte sometimes difficult to hear it was so quietly spoken, especially when he was in the straightjacket. Very frustrating! Have watched it three times straight and still cannot make out some of the words! Was Charlotte asking Jane if there was someone "new" (or that "knew" him) just before we saw Jane calling Lisbon's name as he came round at the hospital? More teasing!! Too many emotional scenes to mention but I particularly felt sad when Jane and Lisbon were at the pool and he said he taught Charlotte the backstroke. Also in the workshop when Jane said "You are not my daughter, my daughter was murdered, I found her body" and Charlotte reciting the words "You are safe, you are loved, you are blessed" the words he used when he tucked her in bed at night. Tissues needed here!!

The saddest lines of all...."I love you dad" and then Charlotte disappearing and Jane replying "Wait". Heartbreaking. More tissues!!

The saddest scene...Jane sipping the tea at the end ...perhaps hoping to see his daughter again? I could literally feel Jane's pain. Box of tissues now empty!!

Simon's acting throughout this episode was superb (as always). To be able to make the audience laugh and cry at the same time is a great gift and Simon has this gift in spades! My favourite episode ever but having watched it I find myself feeling very sad!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 08-Oct-12, 12:57 PM

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 1:19 PM | Message # 6
Bee's Knees

I really enjoyed this one, already watched twice, and planning on another viewing this afternoon.

Dove, was just perfect as Charlotte, I liked it when he said she was a bit lippy......pot/kettle!!!!!

The part when Cho is offering Jane a chair is part of his dream, so Cho is acting out of character.....maybe Jane subconsciously sees Cho as a bit scary.

He obviously misses her so much....I liked how it was Lisbon working out the clues from Jane's hallucination....she really DOES know how his mind works.

I found the end when he is trying to bring Charlotte back with the wacky tea so sad....just him all alone in a cold dark place trying to find his wonderland....Brilliant acting all round....the whole cast should be so proud of themselves.

Wand6122360 Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 1:34 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

I watched the show on the Canadian and then the US channel, and CBS was easier to understand. I also put on closed captioning once. In retrospect, the dialogue is quite clear, but Charlotte does speak rather quickly, just like a lot of teenagers do. One piece of dialogue that tripped me up briefly in the scene you mention was when I think Jane called her lippy, a word I've never heard before (unless I misheard). And I really loved the part that comes soon after. When he mentions college, Charlotte accuses Jane of not showing his true self even to himself, and says 'Does anyone know who you really are?' There's a pause, and then he starts waking up and calling for Lisbon. (I'm doing this from memory, so hopefully haven't messed anything up). Also, those 3 words that Jane said to Charlotte, I heard wise instead of blessed, so have to rewatch for that.

Anyways, it was a really great episode, and really worth rewatching!

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 2:40 PM | Message # 8
Bee's Knees

@Wand....Lippy just meant talks too much.....like Patrick...talking out of turn and argumentative...!! And I heard wise too....I will rewatch...no really!! I know it is a chore tongue

Green Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 2:47 PM | Message # 9
Surfie

Absolutely brilliant episode- Reality and hallucinations were entwined so skillfully, and I loved the Wonderland aspects- following the rabbit, going through the door, the mad tea party similarities - and the gnomes were great, too! I need to re watch it with captions, but I, too, heard wise instead of blessed. Lippy just means cheeky, talking back, etc. My favorite episode of all time- so humorous and simultaneously touching. Saddest part was the end, drinking the wacky tea to see her again.

bee Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 3:09 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Having rewatched I think you're right the word "wise" was used instead of "blessed". Jane while hallucinating also called her Teresa at least once and asked her to call him Patrick. Anything in that I wonder? The more I watch this episode the more I see!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 08-Oct-12, 3:21 PM

Lena Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 3:11 PM | Message # 11
Dinkie-Di

The whole episode was great, touching and also funny (Jane and Lisbon faces when speak in Scandinavian were very hilarious).
Jane's gaze was so intense and moving when asked Charlotte to wait and also at the ending when he drinks the “tea” to tries to have a new contact with his daughter.

Simon's interpretation was superb, his expressions say it all without need a dialogue. Truly an excellent actor.

I liked the scenes between Jane and Charlotte, Dove did a great work and there was harmony between them and I also liked Lisbon, the way she was protective and worried about Jane.

Nixenkind Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 5:08 PM | Message # 12
Jillaroo

I understand that many here aren't Jane/Lisbon-shippers, and that's fine, but in the dialogue between Jane and Charlotte while he got his stomach pumped, it absolutely looked as if Lisbon was the answer to Charlotte's question. She asks him: "Does anyone know who you are?" and he answers without hesitating: "Yes." She asks: "Who?" and when he doesn't answer immediately "Oh, come on- who?" He then starts calling for Lisbon. Since Charlotte is speaking for Jane's subconscious, it's pretty clear that both things are related to each other.
And, even if you don't ship: isn't it true anyway? Is there someone else in the show who knows who Jane is, who has seen the worst of him and earned his trust?
Even if you deny any romantic sparks between them: there's no doubt that she's the one who knows him best, is there???

Message edited by Nixenkind - Monday, 08-Oct-12, 5:46 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 5:16 PM | Message # 13
Bee's Knees

Great episode. How much Charlotte is like her dad, even though he hallucinated her as a teenager, even telling her not to roll his eyes at him. I wonder if Simon had to tell Stella the same thing. Did anyone notice the butterflies on the teacups at the murderers house. Jane asking Lisbon to call him Patrick. Him leaving the hospital so suddenly, while still high so not feeling the aftereffects of having his stomach pumped. There was a lot of energy along with humor and angst. Simon flexed his acting muscles quite well and the muder of the week was interesting and well researched as to the diamond cutting business. I hope Jane doesn't get in the belladonna habit, all very Sherlock Holmes who was addicted to cocaine.

Mossibecca Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 5:38 PM | Message # 14
Bee's Knees

Just watched again....noticed that when he asked Lisbon for the water when he came round after having his stomach pumped...he called her 'Bella Donna' Beautiful lady....awwwww...sweet biggrin

PJaneloke Date: Monday, 08-Oct-12, 6:19 PM | Message # 15
Surfie

It make me cry then laugh then cry again. Definitely one of my favorite. Will rewatch it again tmrw when I'm alone.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz