Friday, 19-Apr-24, 2:34 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
02 Devil's Cherry
June Date: Saturday, 13-Oct-12, 8:30 PM | Message # 46
Bee's Knees

I've seen three times this episode and I have to say that it's a masterpiece. The Mentalist is one of the greatest series on tv and it's because of episodes like "Devil's Cherry". Moving, heartbreaking, sad, funny,..., this episode is emotionally intense, one of the best I've ever seen.
-The references to "Alice in Wonderland" are just beautiful.
-The interaction between Jane and Charlotte is so real! They look like father and daughter, so natural!
-Simon Baker proves over again he's a fantastic actor, his capacity to move is endless. The "please, wait" he said to the fake Red John in "Strawberries and Cream" shocked me but the "wait" he said to his daughter broke literally my heart. The end of this scene reminded me when Lisbon said "I'm sorry" to Jane at the end of "Fugue in Red", Jane is also with one's back. In fact both episodes are written by the extraordinary Daniel Cerone.
-Jane and Lisbon. Lisbon and Jane. They need each other.
-Blake Neely, genius.
-The last two minutes let me speechless. The music (Jane and Charlotte's theme), the way he makes his tea, the camera going away from Jane. Bravo!!!
Thanks to all who made it possible. And for long time, please.

kul65 Date: Sunday, 21-Oct-12, 11:54 PM | Message # 47
Cobber

Saw this episode too now. Not as much Charlotte as I had expected, but once again that's probably my expectations playing games with me and I'll have to watch this again to know for sure. One thing I did know as the credits rolled was that this episode had cemented it's place as one of my all time favorites. Daniel Cerone is a master of the genre and even more so when he gets to reference children's novels. Not only was the dream part wonderful, but the case itself was interesting and the suspects did keep my attention all the while. And that trick at the end? That must have been one of the most original ruses Jane has thought up since the first season. Perfect.

And then the final scene. The music, oh the music. It brought a chill down my spine and tears when I rewinded it. There has to be a Season 3-5 soundtrack (or something) somewhere down the line, because these songs just can't be kept from us. Not to mention the scene itself here. Did the totem keep spinning or didn't it? Was it Belladonna or wasn't it?

My only complaint with this season so far is that the episodes have felt too short (maybe yet another delusion from being spoiled too much). Otherwise, this is just as brilliant as it was back when the show started. Bring on the rest! biggrin

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 22-Oct-12, 7:15 PM | Message # 48
True Blue

Quote (kul65)
And then the final scene. The music, oh the music. It brought a chill down my spine and tears when I rewinded it. There has to be a Season 3-5 soundtrack

I absolutely agree with you - Blake Neely really does a GRRRREAT Job !

kul65 Date: Tuesday, 23-Oct-12, 10:44 PM | Message # 49
Cobber

Managed to extract this from the episode. Not sure I'm allowed to post the mp3... well... not the video either, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PBHmIWh5ww&feature=youtu.be

I've taken the liberty to call it "Bitter Green Leaves". Hope you all like the title. smile

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 24-Oct-12, 2:36 AM | Message # 50
Bee's Knees

Blake Nealy is revisiting the theme first introduced as "Believe" which is Patrick's theme. Whenever you hear those first four notes and the small knocking somewhere in the melody, it is quite intriguing and alluring at the same time, you know there is introspection mixed with doubt and regrets. Listen for it whenever you replay any somber episodes.

Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 24-Oct-12, 11:00 AM | Message # 51
Bee's Knees

@Kul65, Thank you so much for this, it is a beautiful, haunting melody, and always makes my heart go flip flop!!

Lena Date: Wednesday, 24-Oct-12, 12:48 PM | Message # 52
Dinkie-Di

Thank you Kul65. This melody is beautiful and nostalgic, very adapted for this final scene.

Juney Date: Wednesday, 24-Oct-12, 1:25 PM | Message # 53
Bee's Knees

That is so beautiful. I don't always notice the background music, but I will be more attentive in future.

angel Date: Friday, 16-Nov-12, 7:26 PM | Message # 54
Cobber

i absolutely loved this. Was wondering when the hallucinations was starting as at start you did not see him pass out until way in. But the pot really made me jump at the start in the kitchen. Then i remembered the rabbit photos and thought omg the rabbit can't be in there. And when jane looked in with that cheeky grin and said hello there. Adorable. I just loved that rabbit. But dove as his daughter was a revelation. When she would not tell him who she was then finaly when he realised it was so eerie the hair stood up on back of my neck. But i just loved the mix of comedy and serious in this episode. Jane looking so lovingly at charlotte when she was swimming in the pool. When he is talking to her and lisbon keeps thinking he is talking to her. Loved the playfulness of jane and when he was in and out at the hospital. Then the scene at end when charlotte says i love you dad and goes and jane asks if she will come back. The deep emotion that came over his face is pure simon incredible acting. That just choked me. But the end when jane and lisbon play the trick on the neighbour and start speaking german or whatever and funny faces was comic classic from the 2 of them. Brilliant episode and deffo one of my faves.

Green Date: Friday, 29-Mar-13, 7:29 PM | Message # 55
Surfie

Ever wonder how accurately the hallucinations were portrayed? I was just reading the book "Hallucinations" by Oliver Sacks. In chapter on hallucinogenic drugs he relates his own experience experimenting with a belladonna based drug. Initially he thought it had no effect at all, so went in the kitchen to put the kettle on for a pot of tea. He then answered a knock at the door to find 2 friends had dropped by, and they had a nice chat while he made breakfast for them. It turned out the friends were hallucinations, but the experience was so realistic he never thought for an instant that it wasn't real, only found out a bit later. He said it was quite different from many other types of hallucinations in its lack of "fantastic" elements, and its complete believability. As the effects progressed he did have some odd elements appear, for example had a philosophical discussion with a spider. Anyway, very interesting book. I wonder if the writers read up on these things beforehand? I suppose they must, to have it be that accurate!

Tina Date: Saturday, 30-Mar-13, 11:58 AM | Message # 56
Fair Dinkum

So, good work by the writers. Thats nice to know it's realistic. Very interesting. Thanks Green.

Mossibecca Date: Saturday, 30-Mar-13, 11:25 PM | Message # 57
Bee's Knees

That was very interesting, and the book sounds good....I will look out for it.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 5 » 02 Devil's Cherry (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz