Saturday, 27-Apr-24, 6:46 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 22 Blue Bird (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
22 Blue Bird
Tina Date: Tuesday, 20-May-14, 7:49 PM | Message # 46
Fair Dinkum

What a fabulous episode. Simon just has it all. Such an extraordinary performance. This is an episode to watch again and again. Just love it. I am very happy it's not the final episode. I've never seen Castle, only Bones, and that has lost a lot since the leads became a couple.But Bones also never had the quality of TM before... This is Bruno Heller's show and he has never disappointed me. I' m sure TM will stay as good as it is. So much potential still, so many stories to tell. Such great actors and characters. I definately want to see more of Abbott!
Completely happy with this episode. I haven't been a shipper during the first seasons, but some time on the way I realized she's the only woman for him.

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 20-May-14, 8:42 PM | Message # 47
Bee's Knees

Okay - just let me prepare myself *picks up the riot shield to protect from all the TV remotes that will be heading her way*

I know I am in the minority...and at very great risk...I have to say I didn't like it! Yes, the acting was superb and I offer all due respect to Simon, Robin and the other cast members HOWEVER...the whole thing was so predictable.

As soon as Abbott read out the letter and the code, I knew it was Jane who had sent it -- in fact I even shouted it out at that very moment (much to the annoyance of my mum whom I was visiting at the time!) C'mon... "you FBI simpletons..." - classic Jane syntax! The letter was received (amazingly) the day before Lisbon was due to leave - and Jane knew 9 days before that (leaving him with plenty of time to cook something up) And I actually surprised myself by recognising the dewey decimal numbers that fit with the episode's title : Colour and Aves --- didn't take a genius to figure it out when the episode was called Blue Bird.

All the way through, I started to say what was going to happen before it then predictably did. I'm absolutely gutted that Heller caved. sad

Don't get me wrong, I'm not heartless...I did shed a tear at the conversation on either side of the hotel door, but that had more to do with excellent acting rather than the plot line.

I know everybody wanted them to get together, but really...did they have to? It was a bit too schmaltzy for me, I'm afraid...and I'm the show's biggest promoter and recruiter of viewers (I've got loads of people addicted to it).

Best line of the entire episode (the one that made me really laugh out loud) was when Jane was rushing out of his hotel room leaving Abbott and Cho to clear up the shooters and victims littering the place :

Abbott: "Hey, hey, hey - wanna give us some guidance?"

Have to say, that one had me chuckling for a while.

Like I said, I know I'm in the minority here and yes, I want Jane to be happy and find love again, and yes, I want Lisbon to be happy in love, and yes, I want them to be a part of each other's lives for the rest of their days...but Nooooooooooooo! Sorry to say, Bruno has disappointed me...again.

I can only hope now that the relationship takes a serious back seat in the next 13 episodes and that he doesn't completely move in to Predictaville by marrying them off in the final, final episode.... And maybe, just maybe, Red John resurfaces to prove my theory was actually correct, after all! lol.

Sorry guys...but this little chicken is not going to party hard for this episode.

Message edited by AgentM - Tuesday, 20-May-14, 10:16 PM

Evy Date: Tuesday, 20-May-14, 9:48 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

@AgentM : especially for you, even you don't speak french, you can use Google traduction to understand this article from this website.

I think you'll find it very interesting because it matches for a part with that you wrote wink

http://braindamaged.fr/2014....poilers

And to conclude I want to tell you : you're not alone !

ruuger Date: Tuesday, 20-May-14, 10:19 PM | Message # 49
Cobber

Quote AgentM ()
All the way through, I started to say what was going to happen before it then predictably did. I'm absolutely gutted that Heller caved.

I'm with you in the not happy camp. I also immediately knew that it was Jane, and kept hoping in vain for a twist that never came. The whole episode just felt rushed and fake, and I can't believe that Lisbon would forgive Jane for trying to manipulate her like this. Great acting from Simon and some funny moments, but otherwise I thought the finale was a huge disappontment.

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 20-May-14, 10:27 PM | Message # 50
Bee's Knees

Thanks Evy...I agree with the critique completely. Thank you very much for posting it. I feel that it was text-book 'get the lead characters together'. The writer of the critique makes many valid points about it being mechanical. I kinda got the impression that Bruno was cow-towing to the higher echelons at CBS who had an agenda...and maybe he thought that there wasn't going to be a season 7 at the time the episode was written and filmed, that was why he did it thinking that would be that. I truly believe that the 13 episode season 7 was definitely an after-thought by CBS because of the huge response from fans on the internet and social websites. I don't believe Bruno had a plan to carry on (well, we know he was already moving on to other things)....still, that is no excuse for the whimper of a finale. I've just watched it again, and I have a sense of anger (that maybe too strong a word) but I feel cheated because The Mentalist has always been a top-class show with formidable writing --- this just seemed like something he knocked out in his spare time without much thought.

Thanks for having my back. You too, ruuger. I'm happy to know I'm not alone! smile

Message edited by AgentM - Tuesday, 20-May-14, 10:28 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 0:32 AM | Message # 51
Bee's Knees

My feelings also. Just as the French columnist mentioned I feel let down and not what I expected Heller to do. Just like a great dishabille leaves the good bits to the imagination, he could have just have Jane convince Lisbon to stay without all these declarations of love and kissing. poor Simon, great acting as always, but twisting his ankle in the process of giving a bravura performance. I just hope when TM returns in January, the lovey-dovey stuff will be assumed and not part of the resolution, we can hope for great plots (a la season 1) and please, no marriage plans and all the brouhaha associated with these TV weddings.

Hayseed Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 4:10 AM | Message # 52
Bee's Knees

I understand what it's like if you don't like something that others do - I hated Titanic, for instance.

But I was satisfied by Blue Bird, even though the machinations sound cliched when you write them down. They sold it.

I know everybody wanted them to get together, but really...did they have to?

I cannot imagine any other way that Jane could heal without his finding love, and I cannot imagine him feeling safe enough to love anyone but Lisbon. I get that you don't see it, but this was always the end game to me, and I am ecstatic. This series is about Jane's journey to me, and I want it to end happily.

I don't think the series will turn into a romance, and I'd be happy if they just had small references to their happy coupleness next season. But I did need for Jane to make this psychological step.

Wand6122360 Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 4:32 AM | Message # 53
Bee's Knees

I'm with you, Hayseed, (including the part about hating Titanic LOL); and I love the idea that Jane felt safe enough to love Lisbon. The various parts of the finale, whether contrived or not, did fit together nicely as a catalyst for Jane to overcome some pretty big psychological issues. Based on interviews, I believe BH meant for the episode to be light-hearted overall, but I'm sure he also knew he could count on Simon and Robin's acting to give the show the layers of depth that make it special. I think the final scene was exceedingly mature, and gives me great hope for a great season 7. I admit, the writing could have been better, but I absolutely loved this episode because of Jane's growth (and finding love with Lisbon).

Message edited by Wand6122360 - Wednesday, 21-May-14, 4:42 AM

bee Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 7:46 AM | Message # 54
Fair Dinkum

I agree with Hayseed and Wand6122360 the endgame for me was always that Jane would finally overcome his fear of being close to someone again and being worthy of their love and that person for me was always going to be Lisbon who had understood him and his (eccentric) ways, cared deeply for him and always protected him (even from himself) from the beginning. His plane speech was raw and emotional and for me was the turning point of a happier future for him and as he said "he had to get to this point".

I don't think Heller will allow the "lovey dovey" side of their relationship to take over but simply that their closeness will return (sadly lacking of late) with perhaps a few knowing smiles and the odd peck on the cheek. I would, however, like to see them get married for both their sakes and for Jane to come full circle and become part of a proper family again.

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 9:26 AM | Message # 55
Bee's Knees

Quote Hayseed ()
I get that you don't see it

But I do see it, Hayseed. I agree with your comments about Jane needing to reach the point in his journey where he was able to love again. I've always wanted that for him too...and I know that Lisbon is the obvious choice with whom he feels safe enough to share his real feelings with. I do get it. Hell, even during the first few seasons I also entertained the hope that they would get together, but somewhere along the way I changed my mind and realised that their relationship is a lot stronger and deeper than that of a 'couple'. I don't think I can explain it clearly. I just think this road has been travelled too many times before by too many other shows. And yes, I know that TM writers will probably spin it a different way as best they can, but at the end of the day it's all been done before. I think that may be the real reason for my feeling irked at the outcome. I've always felt that TM is different from other shows and they've always claimed that they are not like all the other procedurals...and yet here they are doing exactly the same thing as all the rest!

Mossibecca Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 10:58 AM | Message # 56
Bee's Knees

It has been so interesting reading all of these views.

I have to say (as I said before) I loved the finale, yes I agree that there were some ENORMOUS sign posts along the way, and we needed some blinkers to avoid the obvious cliches, but watching it makes me smile and have a warm happy glow. biggrin

For me those two have always belonged to each other, they have always been a couple, they just didn't seem to know it.

But the MOST wonderful and refreshing thing that has come out of all of this for me, is.....THIS....an adult calm and collected discussion among friends who don't HAVE to agree with each other....who are able to see the other persons point of view and not resort to a slanging match and bad language to try to turn someones opinion. We are happy to accept that we all have different views, and while often they are diametrically opposite, we can understand and not feel the need to all stand there nodding and agreeing with one doctrine.

Thank you Fran for giving us this platform for adult discussion.

And Thank YOU everyone who has participated, it has been fun and interesting.

heart heart heart heart

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 12:22 PM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

Yeah Mossi, I'm with you!

Well we knew the finale would not please everybody.
Each of you made valid points, pro and cons, and that's very interesting. Different angles is healthy!

I tried to put myself in a kind of neutral Switzerland zone to watch this finale. No super high expectations, no über low neither.
And I was very satisfied with the result. Yes it turned to a rom-com episode, but it was done on purpose, and it was very effective.

I'd like to add a comment when you say, Agent M, that "they've always claimed that they are not like all the other procedurals". Yes Simon said the difference was they didn't use microscopes but deduction à la Colombo style. That they tried to balance fun and drama. But BH or C. Long or the lead actors have never implied they were better than the other procedurals. In his last interview in Cannes, Long honestly said they have done good episodes, and some "less good" too… And several times, a straightforward Simon have said the same.

This was written as it'd be the last episode ever of TM. So yes, Heller uses clichés, I agree. I've guessed from the start that Jane has written the anonymous letter. Yes, sign posts were all along the scenario etc.
But the most important for me is that it was efficient, well paced, and that Heller and Long have let Simon and Robin the best piece of bravery here. They did a fantastic job. No disappointment here. I laughed, I was moved, and time flew without me noticing.

Let's hope the 7th season will allow the writers to revived the roots of the show, wich have always been a mix of humor, lightness and darker facets. And I really hope Jane and Lisbon relatiohship will be a long and very winding road, to our greatest delight!

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Wednesday, 21-May-14, 5:52 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 4:46 PM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

I'm glad we can all be in concert about Simon and Robin giving their bravura performance in this last episode. Now for 13 more, lets go back to the root of the show but without RJ and maybe the Blake Assoc. rearing its head to add a darker arc and not lovesmacked teenager stuff. I'm in a good place and like that we all can agree to disagree and still be friends.

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 6:01 PM | Message # 59
Fair Dinkum

Help me

SOZ

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Wednesday, 21-May-14, 6:01 PM

June Date: Wednesday, 21-May-14, 6:32 PM | Message # 60
Bee's Knees

Thanks for your comments, they have helped me to put into words many things that I thought about this episode and I didn’t know how to express. Here I go.

-Blue Bird has been for me like the second part of this season, The Mentalist 2.0, weird and a little disappointing. I don’t share the enthusiasm of most people, but I understand it. They have been waiting for this moment for years and finally they got it.

-I think strongly that not knowing if the show would be renewed has had a pretty negative influence in the development of the plots. This episode proves that. I’m still thinking that Bruno and the writers had to put aside what they really wanted to tell and tell what most fans wanted to see if it was the ending. Throughout this season I felt sometimes they didn’t know where their stories were going. For example: what happened with the Blake association? According to some information this would be the main plot after Red John and suddenly disappeared. The letter with the names? Haibach, a mastermind criminal? They had little time to decide what to do and hurry is never a good thing.

-Bruno Heller made the easiest but in my opinion he was wrong. Did Jane and Lisbon have to end together? Yes, I think so. But it was necessary that The Mentalist became a rom-com? No. Never. It’s a rule. He should know. If you give people a very good writing for years, people always will ask you the same. And more with an episode built like a show ending. Weak, I don't like the balance between comedy and drama in this one. Sometimes it seemed like a Miami tourist campaign.

-But thankfully Simon and Robin were there. They saved me and saved the episode. The only true thing in there. They made me cry and laugh and forget everything else. Simon’s acting broke my heart. How can he convey so many emotions together? This man doesn’t stop to amaze me. Great actors, both of them. The best of the episode.

-Abott and Cho. The funniest scenes. A new couple? Who knows. I love Abott more and more.

-If it had been really the end of the series, I would be upset. So, I’m glad to have a seventh season. 13 episodes to show that they haven’t forgotten what The Mentalist is. And if it’s the last season, I’m sure of that, please, say it right now.

Despite that, The Mentalist is the best show on TV.

P.S: Robin's mother has to be the happiest in the world. She has finally what she wanted more, to see her daughter kissing Simon. hands

Message edited by June - Wednesday, 21-May-14, 6:35 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 22 Blue Bird (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz