The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Campaigns for Season 7
Campaigns for Season 7
Tina Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 8:58 AM | Message # 136
Fair Dinkum

I feel the same 258pce. Seems like CBS just picked it up so nobody else get it. I'm really angry about CBS. Maybe it would have been better another channel had picked it up, even with a chance for a 8th season (if Simon would be even willing to go on).
But now. It airs who knows when, and then only 13 episodes. And all the other stupid boring shows get 8, 9 10 or more seasons! I just don't get this into my head, I don't understand it that such a good show gets not even 7 full seasons! I blame it on CBS. I hope all their shows fail!

258pce Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 8:58 AM | Message # 137
Cobber

thanks DS for the Harper tweet. At least we don't have to envision cast and crew waiting around for production purposes. It is still rather strange that we've not heard anything else from anyone connected to the production yet. Maybe they're all still trying to figure out what it all means for them. I'd sure love to know what Simon is thinking.

258pce Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 9:13 AM | Message # 138
Cobber

well, I'm just venting Tinamarianne, but I agree. Probably the most important aspect is whether or not Simon was willing to consider more than another season. I sense that he is getting itchy to do other things. I have to live with that but I panic at not being able to see him on a regular basis. The way cbs has treated the show, however, really grinds my last nerve. TM is one of the last decent, well-written, superbly acted, shows left on broadcast tv and it seems that cbs just wants it and its fans to go away. rant over.

Fran Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 11:52 AM | Message # 139
Fair Dinkum

Yes, I agree that it does feel like CBS just didn’t want it to go elsewhere because they didn’t want it to compete with one of their own shows. I always felt that the ‘shopping to other channels’ situation was more of a Warners negotiation ploy than anything else.

But I don’t think we’ll ever really know, and I have all sorts of other questions rattling round my head, which I wish I had answers to.

This is a bit of a braindump, but for example:

Are CBS executives annoyed with Bruno that he shopped Gotham to Fox? And if so, could that be a factor in their treatment of The Mentalist?

I’ve not seen any official announcement from CBS that it will be 13 episodes and the final season. Will they make an announcement or will the situation be left open?

Will it be in a better timeslot and if so will the ratings improve?

How does Simon feel about it? If its 13 episodes, filming should finish by Christmas, leaving him time for other projects. Would he actually prefer that to a full 22 episode run? Would I actually prefer that, if it meant we also got a movie?

Would a shorter production time make Simon more amenable to extending his contract, so that if a better slot did improve the ratings, is there any chance of a 13 episode Season 8?

Tina Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 12:11 PM | Message # 140
Fair Dinkum

I'm thinking about all this too Fran. I hardly slept last night.
I was so much hoping for 22 episodes.

With CSI sharing the Sunday Night slot with the spinoff I hope that TM will get another, better day and time since there is not room in the old time slot.

I don't think this all happens because of Bruno, because CBS has treated TM so bad for years. When I look at the ratings, why even move it to Sunday nights. A quality show like this doing so well? And then the 8 week hiatus this season. For me it seems CBS didn't like TM pretty much from the beginning.

I so hope ratings will go up very high once TM airs, whenever that will be ....

I wonder if Simon would be willing doing another season ...
I too wonder how he and the others feel about it, but I can imagine they are pretty frustrated.

If they are finished til Christmas, what will be if they only shoot 13 episodes (which is not confirmed by CBS yet, is it? I have read no word about how many episodes CBS has ordered), will he consider doing Breath then? I'm sure it would be a good time shooting it during summer time in Australia ...

Is there a chance there will be more than 13 episodes this season? That they air it starting January and then maybe til June or July into summer season? I doubt that, but is it possible?

I feel so sad about this situation at the moment ...it would be nice to get some information how this mid season thing will be, when TM actually will air ..in January or even later .. and how many episodes we get and if there is a chance for a 8th season...

Fran Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 12:49 PM | Message # 141
Fair Dinkum

I came across this article and direct quote from Nina Tassler and didn't post it because I thought it was a bit off-topic. But on reflection, I think it does provide some context:
"We are officially retiring the term 'mid-season.' We no longer have mid-season. We have summer, we have fall, we have spring, we roll out our shows all year long."

A couple of other points in this article that interested me were that it says CBS won't be airing many repeats this year, avoiding reruns wherever possible, and the article lists several shows which are having a final season this year but The Mentalist is not included in that list.

Full article here: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-a....ne-else

Hayseed Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 2:14 PM | Message # 142
Bee's Knees

While I've been aggravated at CBS for ages about the whole time slot thing, I have to say I'm incredibly grateful that we're getting a Season 7 at all. This could easily have been the end.

My guess is that the leads aren't the least bit interested in resigning after the end of their contracts, and that anything past season 7 would never have been an option. While I love TM dearly, I really wouldn't want it to go on past its prime like those shows that go on too long just because there are still people around to watch them, so I'm okay with that. My only request is that the writers know how many episodes they have left at the beginning, so that the arcs can make sense.

If they truly do an interesting "encore" as Heller calls it, and give us the rest of Jane's journey to being able to live a half normal existence while giving us some great new team exploits, I think it will have ended the best way possible. I'm not thrilled about waiting until midseason, but I'm making lemonade because it won't be over as soon, so to speak.

Wand6122360 Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 3:43 PM | Message # 143
Bee's Knees

I totally agree with you, Hayseed. I will be grateful for every additional episode, regardless of when it airs. And I too would have been surprised if Simon Baker would have signed on for more than 7 seasons. He seems like the kind of person who likes to be continually challenged.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 5:22 PM | Message # 144
Fair Dinkum

Agree with both of you.
Working on a TV series means regular incomes therefore some security, but an actor needs some challenge in his career, especially if, as Simon formerly said, he's afraid of being "type-cast".
Even he's very professional and wants to give the TM audience satisfaction story-wise but also quality-wise, so I don't think he wants more than 7 seasons.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Thursday, 15-May-14, 5:23 PM

Tassie Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 6:12 PM | Message # 145
Bee's Knees

I agree on this as well. I really feel that Simon will be happy to leave after season 7, especially after the way they have been treated by CBS. I'm so happy we've got at least 13 more episodes, but my worry is that it won't be picked up by channel 5 here in the UK. Mind you after the referendum in September perhaps all we'll get on TV in Scotland is regional news and repeats of The White Heather Club. fear

258pce Date: Thursday, 15-May-14, 8:40 PM | Message # 146
Cobber

Hayseed, I agree with you about not wanting to drag the show beyond its carrying capacity....as much as I will miss it when it does end.

Fran, you raise a lot of interesting questions. If I recall correctly Bruno was originally turned down by cbs for his new series so I'm not sure they would hold a grudge about him taking it to FOX. It does seem, however, that something is going on behind the scenes that has created some animosity between the cbs honchos and the show. We can analyze all the numbers and rationales and ownership issues ad infinitum, but the final decision here (as even in congress) often comes down to politics and "who you know" rather than the merits of the arguments. But, like you said, we'll probably never know.

Tina Date: Friday, 16-May-14, 8:59 AM | Message # 147
Fair Dinkum

Well, I'd be happy to have a 8th season. Especially now that we don't get 22 episodes for Season 7. I know Simon will never go for it, but this show is still so good and with the reboot it's almost like a new show and still has a lot of potential. I don't think quality would go down. There are still so many stories to tell. So many crimes to solve. Many shows have more than 7 seasons and are still very successful and good.

But I understand when an actor wants to do other things. I'm sure very much looking forward to Simon's new projects in the future. I wasn't too happy though with the movies he did during the TM breaks (except IGIAY which I really enjoy watching). I hope he will do some really good movies and with a lead part. I really hope for Breath to happen and that Simon will take the part as Sando!

But I love the character of Patrick Jane so much that it is very hard for me to let go. I could watch TM for many more years and wouldn't get bored or anything. It's so very special for me and I don't think I will ever love a tv show as much as this one. I am grateful that we get 13 more episodes, but when it comes to TM I get greedy.

Peithon Date: Friday, 16-May-14, 11:47 AM | Message # 148
Rip Snorter

Regarding Gotham, there was a bidding war to get the show and FOX won. Also CBS is being aggressive when negotiating with other studios for pilots - they want to share part ownership and oart of the syndication deal, or they are producing in-house.

Fran Date: Friday, 16-May-14, 12:14 PM | Message # 149
Fair Dinkum

Quote 258pce ()
If I recall correctly Bruno was originally turned down by cbs for his new series so I'm not sure they would hold a grudge about him taking it to FOX. It does seem, however, that something is going on behind the scenes that has created some animosity between the cbs honchos and the show.

It was ‘The Advocates’ that CBS turned down. As Peithon said, there was reportedly a bidding war for ‘Gotham’, but I don’t know if CBS were involved. I expect you’re right that CBS wouldn’t hold a grudge about it, but like you, I have the feeling that the relationship soured at some point.

Quote tinamarianne ()
Well, I'd be happy to have a 8th season. Especially now that we don't get 22 episodes for Season 7. I know Simon will never go for it, but this show is still so good and with the reboot it's almost like a new show and still has a lot of potential. I don't think quality would go down.

I agree with you that quality wouldn’t be a problem, after all there’s not much difference between 1x22 episode season and 2x13 episode seasons.

Whilst I agree that Simon probably wouldn’t go for an extra 22 ep season, I’m not as convinced as everyone else that he wouldn’t consider an extra 13 ep season. He would have 6 months for doing other projects that would give him new challenges. I think in some ways it would be the best of both worlds, the regular income might mean he could take more risks, and we know he loves to do that. But I’m not saying I’m convinced that will happen, I’m just saying that I’m not prepared to rule it out as a possibility until we have an official announcement about this being the final season.

Peithon Date: Friday, 16-May-14, 6:34 PM | Message # 150
Rip Snorter

Fran, The Advocates was what was called a put pilot, which means there are serious penalties CBS had to pay for not picking it up. It's practically a guarantee of pick up, plus David Nutter directed and his pilots are pretty much guaranteed to get picked up. I was shocked it didn't get picked up. I don't think Heller knows how to write a bad pilot, so all we can do is speculate I can say CBS foolishly put all their eggs in the comedy basket last season and that didn't work out and neither did their dramas. So this season they picked ip a lot of stuff, basically the network version of throw it on the wall and see if it sticks. TM is there as a band-aid if they hemmorage numbers in the fall. Always a bridesmaid never a bride, alas. I don't say it often enough, but thanks for all you do for us.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Campaigns for Season 7
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz