Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
I Give it a Year
DS_Pallas Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 9:17 PM | Message # 391
Fair Dinkum

I tend to agree with your suggestion redbird smile
SB is an instinctive and gifted actor, and he delivered great performances in films such as "Book of Love", "Judas Kiss" or "Sex and Death 101", but a steady and hard work on shows like "The Guardian" or "The Mentalist" must have allowed him to expand even more his skills as an actor and a director. It's the best drama school ever, I remember he said that about The Guardian in an old interview.

Now he has more than 20 years of professional experience, and you can see how far he has come from "E-Street" to "I give it a Year" biggrin

ruuger Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 10:32 PM | Message # 392
Cobber

Quote kim ()
I heard Simon respond to someone who suggested that he should be James Bond that he was told he was too short. Like it matters- really, he's a great actor, gorgeous to look at and has the same wry sense of humor. I would vote for him to be Bond.

I think he'd definitely have made a fantastic Roger Moore type of a Bond. But honestly, I think his Australianness would have been a bigger hindrace to him that his height, thanks to George Lazenby wink

I actually recently found out that apparently Simon had been on the (very long) shortlist of people considered, or at least rumoured to have been considered for the role after Pierce Brosnan left. Which I thought was funny because back in the day I was paying great attention to the casting (I'm a long time Bond fan) and I have no recollection of having even heard of him before I started watching The Mentalist - I guess I too (unfairly) immediately dismissed him because he was Australian wink

Message edited by ruuger - Monday, 22-Sep-14, 10:33 PM

redbird Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 0:51 AM | Message # 393
Dinkie-Di

How interesting! I don't think that Simon's Australian-ness affects his ability to play American characters. Why would it affect his ability to play a British character?

By the way, I'm with you on the Roger Moore kind of James Bond. That's exactly the kind of James Bond that I can see Simon playing.

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 11:52 AM | Message # 394
Fair Dinkum

Quote redbird ()
How interesting! I don't think that Simon's Australian-ness affects his ability to play American characters. Why would it affect his ability to play a British character?

Well I see, you don't know British people really well… biggrin

ruuger Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 5:30 PM | Message # 395
Cobber

Quote redbird ()
I don't think that Simon's Australian-ness affects his ability to play American characters. Why would it affect his ability to play a British character?

It has less to do with Simon's talents and more with the character's history. George Lazenby, who played Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, was Australian, and generally considered the worst Bond, and as a result a lot of people have a kneejerk reaction to the idea of an Australian Bond. We'll probably see an American Bond sooner than another Australian one.

redbird Date: Tuesday, 23-Sep-14, 8:00 PM | Message # 396
Dinkie-Di

I knew, of course, that George Lazenby had played James Bond. I assumed that the dismal result was because they picked the wrong actor for the role rather than the fact that they had picked an actor who is Australian. Actors who are from Australia - including Simon - are the hottest group of actors working in Hollywood right now.

AgentM Date: Saturday, 27-Sep-14, 4:21 PM | Message # 397
Bee's Knees

I don't think being Australian was the problem with George Lazenby, it was his acting that didn't quite gel with the Bond character. As for Simon being Bond, I'm not sure. Sure, he's suave and sophisticated and there is the humour too - I guess I haven't really thought about it before. But I don't think his nationality will be the problem, after all he has managed to pull off a reasonably good British accent in the past. And I guess in someway, aren't a lot of Australians related to us Brits anyway - we did send an awful lot of people over there back in the day and Robin is always happy to remind Simon he comes from a penal colony! lol. so I guess he would have as much right to portray Bond as any other Brit.

ruuger Date: Tuesday, 28-Oct-14, 6:38 PM | Message # 398
Cobber

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the I Give It a Year blooper reel that they could share or know where I could watch it online? I saw some gifs from it on Tumblr, and would love to watch the whole thing.

(I rented the film from a streaming service instead of watching it on a DVD so I missed all the extras)

DS_Pallas Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 11:12 AM | Message # 399
Fair Dinkum

"I Give it a Year" Simon Baker Bloopers from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuYHlJ3nkJM&feature=youtu.be&aSimon

smile I actually admire his cool on the doves scene.

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 11:16 AM

bee Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 11:55 AM | Message # 400
Fair Dinkum

Nothing seems to phase him, always the professional. smile

KathyF Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 1:50 PM | Message # 401
Rip Snorter

There's also a very funny deleted scene with Anna Faris where they were on a date, and he made a hilarious face after tasting some Ethiopian food. Love that one too!

kim Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 4:15 PM | Message # 402
Bee's Knees

Thanks DS_P those outtakes are so funny. You can see he's just trying to keep Rose together.

Tina Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 5:18 PM | Message # 403
Fair Dinkum

I would have reacted the same like her. I hate it when birds fly above my head! I like birds, but not above me. I would have totally freaked out in that situation! Simon was really nice with her! And so cool when the doves sat on his head. I love these outtakes!

Message edited by tinamarianne - Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 5:19 PM

ruuger Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 5:48 PM | Message # 404
Cobber

Thank you so much, DS_Pallas!

Poor Rose Byrne, she was clearly terrified of the birds. But I have to admire Simon's cool. He was clearly determined to get his lines right every time so that they wouldn't have to have another take because of him.

Also, I love how he says "oopsie daisy" when she falls down in the other scene. Women seem to go weak at the knees at his presence because there's a clip in the Devil Wears Prada blooper reel where Anne Hathaway also falls down in front of him wink

Message edited by ruuger - Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 10:34 PM

bunnyt Date: Tuesday, 11-Nov-14, 9:01 PM | Message # 405
Jillaroo

Ahahah I love Simon's expressions!!!Too funny!! biggrin

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz