Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
I Give it a Year
Fran Date: Monday, 05-Mar-12, 6:39 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

Simon Baker to star in marriage comedy 'I Give it a Year'

Simon Baker looks to have found his next project during his hiatus as "The Mentalist" star is set for the Working Title's "I Give it a Year."

The story revolves around the comedic trials and tribulations of a pair of newlyweds during their first year as a married couple.

Rafe Spall is already attached and Dan Mazer (a writer-director on 'Da Ali G Show' and a writer on 'Borat' and 'Bruno') is on board to direct from a script he wrote. Eric Fellner and Tim Bevan are producing the project. No distributor has come on board yet.

source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051007

Fran Date: Monday, 05-Mar-12, 6:42 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

Excerpt from article about the film

Few companies have had as much success with the romantic comedy as British studio Working Title Films. While the company have had something of a banner year, thanks to the success of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," "Senna," "Johnny English Reborn" and "Contraband," they were built on the rom-com, and particularly those of Richard Curtis, including "Four Weddings And A Funeral," "Notting Hill" and "Bridget Jones' Diary." However, it's a few years since they've really tackled the genre -- 2008's "Definitely Maybe" is actually one of the better entries in recent years, but it never caught on at the box office.

It's appropriate, then, that on Valentine's Day the news has broken that the company have set up a project that could do for the current generation what Curtis' films did for the 1990s. Variety reports that the company are gearing up to make "I Give It A Year," which will mark the directorial debut of Oscar-nominated "Borat" scribe Dan Mazer, and rising star Rafe Spall is in talks to topline the project.

Mazer is Sacha Baron Cohen's longtime writing and producing partner, going back to "Da Ali G Show," and has form at the company, having penned for them "Eurovision" (a potential vehicle for Baron Cohen) and the rom-com "Lost For Words" (co-written with Richard Curtis' brother Jamie) -- neither got made, but clearly he's a favorite there. The film follows an odd couple as they face the trials and tribulations of their first year of marriage, with Spall looking likely to play the husband.

StudioCanal are financing the project, and shooting will get underway in London in the next few months. Could we see this for Valentine's Day next year?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplay....n-mazer

Fran Date: Monday, 05-Mar-12, 6:47 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

Excerpt from wikipedia about Working Title Films

Working Title Films was co-founded by producers Tim Bevan and Sarah Radclyffe in 1983. In 1992, PolyGram became the company's corporate backer. Radclyffe left Working Title, and Eric Fellner, a fellow independent film producer, joined the company. The company produced a variety of films for PolyGram's London-based production company PolyGram Filmed Entertainment. PolyGram Films was merged and sold to Universal Studios in 1999.

Although contractually allowed to produce any film with a budget of up to $35 million, on a practical basis, Bevan and Fellner consult with studio executive at Working Title's parent company NBCUniversal. Working Title is located in London, and is known for having a limited number of employees. The company also has other offices located in Los Angeles, and Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Title_Films

Fran Date: Tuesday, 06-Mar-12, 11:55 AM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

Australian actress Rose Byrne joins the cast - could she and Simon be playing Australians? (I hope so!)

Top comediennes Rose Byrne ("Bridesmaids") and Anna Faris ("The Dictator") are set to join Rafe Spall and Simon Baker in Working Title's romantic comedy "I Give It a Year."

Dan Mazer is writing and directing the pic, which follows a mismatched couple as they struggle to survive their first year of marriage. Byrne and Spall will play the married couple at the heart of the story, while Faris and Baker will play strong supporting characters.

Working Title principals Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce with Kris Thykier, while Liza Chasin and Debra Hayward will exec produce. Studiocanal is fully financing the film, which is skedded to start shooting this spring in London.

Byrne is coming off key supporting roles in three of last year's biggest moneymakers -- Universal's comedy "Bridesmaids," 20th Century Fox's superhero pic "X-Men: First Class" and Film District's horror hit "Insidious." Aussie thesp next stars as Bradley Cooper's wife in Derek Cianfrance's crime drama "The Place Beyond the Pines."

Faris is coming off starring roles in two 2011 comedies "Take Me Home Tonight" and "What's Your Number?," the latter of which she also exec produced. She will soon be seen alongside Sacha Baron Cohen in Paramount's laffer "The Dictator," as well as in Relativity Media's omnibus comedy "Movie 43."

source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051097?refCatId=4076

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 06-Mar-12, 9:43 PM | Message # 5
Bee's Knees

The movie's set in London, so there's a possibility that they may very well be using their own accents. That'll be fun. biggrin I kinda figured Simon would be in a support role, usually these newlywed couple types in romcoms are younger. Also, I imagine with a support role, he can squeeze this in between when TM breaks and when the boys get out of school (or at the very least only miss a short time with them).

Fran Date: Wednesday, 07-Mar-12, 6:34 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

Dan Mazer’s Rose Byrne-Anna Faris Comedy ‘I Give It A Year’ Sets U.K. Release

Simon Baker, Rafe Spall and Stephen Merchant also star in the comedy from Studiocanal and Working Title.
The companies today announced a February 14, 2013 UK release date for the Dan Mazer-scripted film about a young couple in their first year of marriage. Principal photography starts at the end of April in London.

Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Kris Thykier are producers with Debra Hayward and Liza Chasin exec producing. This is Mazer’s feature directing debut; he’s best known for collaborating with Sacha Baron Cohen as a writer/producer dating back to the days of Da Ali G Show and through to the upcoming The Dictator (in which Faris also stars). In a statement, Mazer said: “I am utterly thrilled to have the opportunity to make my directorial debut supported by such outstanding producers and a brilliant cast. I consider myself blessed to unequivocally be the weakest link in the whole equation. I am foolish enough to make a film where I am unable as a director to blame the writer, and as the writer powerless blame the director. If it all goes wrong we will all have to assume it’s the producers’ fault.” Studiocanal is handling international sales on the film.

http://www.deadline.com/2012....release

Fran Date: Sunday, 11-Mar-12, 2:30 PM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

Press Release from StudioCanal

STUDIOCANAL AND WORKING TITLE FILMS ANNOUNCE PRODUCTION AND VALENTINE’S DAY RELEASE FOR “I GIVE IT A YEAR”

Rose Byrne, Anna Faris, Rafe Spall and Simon Baker Headline in Dan Mazer’s Directorial Debut

London, UK, March 7th, 2012 – STUDIOCANAL and Working Title Films have begun preproduction on a new comedy, I GIVE IT A YEAR, from writer and director Dan Mazer (Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan,
Bruno) announcing a Valentine’s Day release date in UK Cinemas 2013.

The film, which charts the trials and tribulations of a young couple in the first year of marriage, will star Rose Byrne, Anna Faris, Rafe Spall, Stephen Merchant and Simon Baker.

I GIVE IT A YEAR will commence principal photography at the end of April and will shoot in and around central London. The production team will be led by Producers Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Kris Thykier (The Debt, KickAss, Harry Brown), with Debra Hayward and Liza Chasin serving as Executive Producers.

Tim Bevan, Co-Chairman of Working Title Films, said: “We are thrilled to be working with Dan Mazer on his feature debut. Dan is one of the most brilliant comedy writers and producers the UK has produced and we believe he will go on to be one its best directors. I GIVE IT A YEAR is fresh, funny and most importantly true; ingredients that we believe will give it significant international commercial appeal.”

Dan Mazer added: “I am utterly thrilled to have the opportunity to make my directorial debut supported by such outstanding producers and a brilliant cast. I consider myself blessed to unequivocally be the weakest link in the whole equation. I am foolish enough to make a film where I am unable as a director to blame the writer, and as the writer powerless blame the director. If it all goes wrong we will all have to assume it’s the producers’ fault.”

Olivier Courson, Chairman and CEO of STUDIOCANAL commented: "We are very pleased to be making another film with Working Title following TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY and for it to be a comedy in London, where they have produced such unbelievable worldwide success just makes it even better. Dan has written a great - very funny - screenplay, assembled a fabulous cast and we look forward to distributing his directorial debut.”

International sales will be handled by STUDIOCANAL.

http://www.studiocanal.com/media....ase.pdf

Fran Date: Friday, 16-Mar-12, 2:11 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

I know there's still a while to go, but I've been thinking that I'd love to go and watch some of the filming. The trouble is London is a big place so I'm not confident I could find it. I've searched around to see if there's anyone who reports on filming locations in the UK but can't find anything. Does anyone know of a way to find out? help

Fran Date: Saturday, 17-Mar-12, 10:03 PM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

sylvia5993 - I've moved your question about Love from Ground Zero to here: http://thebakerboy.ucoz.com/forum/12-15-1

lyn Date: Wednesday, 21-Mar-12, 11:43 AM | Message # 10
Blow-In

Fran,

It's Lyn. Was thinking that I should try to catch a glimpse of the filming myself. Have no idea how to find out about locations but I'm sure it's possible. We have a few weeks before Simon would be here I quess. Do you have any idea when TM wraps for the season?

Fran Date: Wednesday, 21-Mar-12, 11:57 AM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

Hi Lyn, I don't know the exact date, but it will be around the end of April - Friday 27th looks likely if they take a week for Easter break.

Tori Date: Wednesday, 21-Mar-12, 1:52 PM | Message # 12
Ankle Biter

As for finding out about the filming in London, couldn't you email or tweet Matt Gossen since he is Simon's assistant? Surely he can tell you something helpful. Good luck!

Fran Date: Wednesday, 21-Mar-12, 6:19 PM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

That thought crossed my mind as well Tori, but I think Matt has to be very careful about the information he gives out, so I don't think he'd tell us.

lyn Date: Wednesday, 21-Mar-12, 6:56 PM | Message # 14
Blow-In

I think as far as the film is concerned the best place to try is the production company and probably nearer the time. Maybe more details will be published later. We should also try to follow poeple connected to the film on twitter/fb.

lqnt Date: Friday, 20-Apr-12, 12:47 PM | Message # 15
Ankle Biter

New actress on board: Minnie Driver in twitter 16 hours ago:

Minnie Driver ‏ @driverminnie

Coming to London tomorrow..making extremely funny film called 'I Give It a Year' for Working Title. Am packing comedy knickers as I write

This means that Simon will be in London this weekend as soon as he finishes shooting TM today.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz