The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
I Give it a Year
PJaneloke Date: Tuesday, 11-Feb-14, 8:43 PM | Message # 376
Surfie

I just managed to watch the film tonight. It is not release in my country, neither can I find the DVD.

I love love love Simon's part in the movie. I think he bring "class" into the film! This is something I can rewatch many time until the next episode of TM!

Evy Date: Wednesday, 12-Feb-14, 4:07 PM | Message # 377
Fair Dinkum

This evening, on the French (private) TV Channel "CANAL PLUS" is broadcasted "I give it a year" !
I'm not a subscriber sad but fortunately I've already watched it !!! biggrin ...

Message edited by Evy - Wednesday, 12-Feb-14, 4:25 PM

Fran Date: Thursday, 13-Feb-14, 11:44 AM | Message # 378
Fair Dinkum

PJaneloke - I'm glad you got to see it and enjoyed it. I agree, Simon is great in this film, I've watched it many times now, because I find it rewarding and entertaining whatever my mood, and whilst I love Simon's darker films, I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch them.

June Date: Friday, 14-Feb-14, 8:16 PM | Message # 379
Bee's Knees

"I give it a year" will be released in Spain on April 25. Good news for the Spanish members of this site.

Message edited by June - Saturday, 15-Feb-14, 3:20 PM

BasqueCountryEuskeraz Date: Monday, 21-Jul-14, 3:28 PM | Message # 380
Blow-In

Finally, I GIVE IT A YEAR (LES DOY UN AÑO) will be in Spanish Cinemas, 12th September
http://www.tripictures.com/web/les-doy-un-ano/
https://www.facebook.com/Tripictures?fref=nf

Tina Date: Monday, 21-Jul-14, 4:06 PM | Message # 381
Fair Dinkum

That's great BasqueCountryEuskeraz! I'm very happy for you and all Spanish fans.

Evy Date: Monday, 21-Jul-14, 4:44 PM | Message # 382
Fair Dinkum

@BasqueCountryEuskeraz : go to watch it and enjoy !! biggrin

June Date: Thursday, 18-Sep-14, 12:20 PM | Message # 383
Bee's Knees

Finally, yesterday I watched "I give it a year" in the cinema. I liked the movie. There are hilarious moments with others too vulgar for my taste, but I think it's a good comedy. It's cute. When Simon is on screen, and the screen was a very big!!! one, is like watching other film. He looks extraordinary handsome and elegant. It's me or Simon has more and better close-ups than the other actors?

kim Date: Thursday, 18-Sep-14, 1:55 PM | Message # 384
Bee's Knees

No June- It's not just you. I'm not sure there's another person that takes a better close up than Simon Baker.

Tina Date: Thursday, 18-Sep-14, 2:24 PM | Message # 385
Fair Dinkum

Happy you got to see it June. It's so special to see Simon on the big screen. I like the movie too.

redbird Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 2:00 AM | Message # 386
Dinkie-Di

I loved Simon's role in "I Give It A Year" and I really enjoyed most of this movie. Sorry but I found the husband in this movie totally irritating and unlikable and it was enough to spoil some of my enjoyment of the movie.

But there was something about Simon's role in this movie - and his role in "Margin Call" - that made me realize that he would make a great James Bond. He does that suave, debonair, elegant James Bond cool thing so well.

kim Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 2:57 AM | Message # 387
Bee's Knees

I heard Simon respond to someone who suggested that he should be James Bond that he was told he was too short. Like it matters- really, he's a great actor, gorgeous to look at and has the same wry sense of humor. I would vote for him to be Bond. I wonder if it would be very hard for him to do a British accent?

I loved him too in IGIAY. There's an interview where he's talking about the scene with the doves and trying to keep Rose together that I love.

redbird Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 1:54 PM | Message # 388
Dinkie-Di

His height doesn't matter - at all. Besides, he doesn't come across on screen as "not the tallest guy in the room". That's all presence and the way that he carries himself. Simon's years on The Mentalist have added a confidence on screen that he didn't possess before and that confidence is absolutely necessary to pull off James Bond.

As for the British accent, I've heard Simon say that the two accents that are easiest for him are American and British because they're sounds that he's heard since childhood. Where he grew up all of the shows on TV were either American or English so those sounds are very easy for him to replicate. I'm American and, believe me, his American accent is very, very good. I almost prefer it to his Australian accent.

coral Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 5:26 PM | Message # 389
Cobber

Quote kim ()
I wonder if it would be very hard for him to do a British accent?
Simon did a very good British accent in The Affair of the Necklace.

Quote redbird ()
Simon's years on The Mentalist have added a confidence on screen that he didn't possess before
I think you may be confusing confidence as an actor and an actor playing a confident character- in my opinion Simon was giving confident performances for many years before the start of The Mentalist.

redbird Date: Monday, 22-Sep-14, 6:29 PM | Message # 390
Dinkie-Di

I didn't mean to suggest that Simon wasn't giving confident performances before The Mentalist because he was. What I intended to convey was something that Simon has said about himself: In a room full of actors, he's always felt like an imposter. He's not a trained actor and he was never quite sure about how his talent measured up. With all of the hours of screen time he's gotten on The Mentalist and all of the success he's had with the show, there is something about his presence now that suggests that that doubt is gone - he knows now that he belongs in the room. James Bond is an iconic role and to play him successfully, you have to bring a level of confidence to the role - you can't just find the confidence in the role.

I happen to think that Simon is a superb actor. He can do things with his eyes and his face that say much more than pages and pages of dialogue would ever convey.

Forum » Film Appearances » Films » I Give it a Year
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz