Friday, 26-Apr-24, 11:29 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 8
  • »
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Fran Date: Thursday, 10-Nov-11, 12:54 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

I've created this to see if anyone is interested in commenting on the episodes as they air in the UK. If there's no interest then I'll remove it. smile

Fran Date: Thursday, 10-Nov-11, 12:55 PM | Message # 2
Fair Dinkum

4.01 Scarlet Ribbons - Airdate 10th November

lionking Date: Friday, 11-Nov-11, 1:56 AM | Message # 3
Blow-In

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling with my first impressions.

I really liked the opening and the whole of the case up to the unmasking of Mrs Carter. I picked up on her slightly 'off vibe', but was genuinely shocked when she went down into the cellar. This part of the episode really worked for me and was quite suspenseful. I liked the team working the case and loved Jane's scenes in the prison and with Lisbon.

Unfortunately the very rushed trial and verdict whizzed by so fast, that for me all tension was lost and the ending was pretty anti-climactic.

Oh well I guess it was inevitable that it would be impossible to meet the high expectations raised after the ending to last season.

I would rather have left Jane out on bail and dealt with the case more fully so that the audience could appreciate why the jury found him not guilty. I was always expecting Jane to walk free, I just wanted to see the process and for him to have a chance to show his brilliance in defending himself.

I was also a bit surprised that Bruno decided to reveal so early on in this season that RJ was still alive. I honestly thought this would be the case, but I expected him to wait and reveal this in episode 23 or 24 ... hmm now I'm wondering what he has planned for the finale instead.

On the plus side, the development of VP into a more bitter and conflicted character is welcome as she has always been a bit bland and I am looking forward to how the team and the CBI reacts to Jane in the coming episodes.

It is great to have SB back. smile

Fran Date: Friday, 11-Nov-11, 12:38 PM | Message # 4
Fair Dinkum

First, I just want to put here the MentalistWriter's comment about the jury verdict. They said:
"Jane was found not guilty due to "jury nullification." Jury members didn't think PJ should be jailed for killing evil Carter---Even though the jury knew they were acting against law and facts. In US there's nothing a judge can do if jury says not guilty"

I really enjoyed the episode and thought there were some lovely Lisbon/Jane moments, particularly when she visited him in prison. I'm not saying that I felt a romantic vibe, more of a deep affection and concern.

I was also really shocked when we saw the girl in the cellar, I didn't see that coming at all, and thought it was very well done.

I also agree that the trial & resolution seemed a little rushed, although I thought Simon's performance in those scenes was superb. A lot of viewers wouldn't know about jury nullification so I think the verdict would have appeared more believable if they'd included a brief explanation - it only needed a few words spoken by somebody.

It seems to be a given that prime-time US shows resolve a season cliffhanger in the first episode of the new season. I suspect this is because in order to get the large audience figures they need, they have to be watchable for people who don't watch every episode, so a continuing story arc has to be carefully handled not to exclude those people. But I love that they reward the committed viewers with little snippets of inside jokes, like the mention of 'blueberry muffin' for example, which was great.

The episode left me wondering, what's coming next, so it was very successful for me in that respect. I think there are going to be many twists and turns so I'm really looking forward to the rest of season.

JudeBlue Date: Friday, 11-Nov-11, 1:42 PM | Message # 5
Cobber

Your explanation about the (unbelievably) quick resolution of the court case is interesting Fran. I can't
pretend that I am happy with that storyline - or with the fact that Red John is still on the loose.

I much preferred your idea that Red John was dead but Jane's family's killer was still on the loose.

They should hire YOU for some ideas!

biggrin

Fran Date: Friday, 11-Nov-11, 8:04 PM | Message # 6
Fair Dinkum

Quote (JudeBlue)
I much preferred your idea that Red John was dead but Jane's family's killer was still on the loose.

Actually, my preferred option is still a possibility - that Timothy Carter killed Patrick's family as an accomplice of Red John. Maybe RJ prefers to watch people being killed rather than kill them himself. Oh dear, I feel another bizarre RJ theory coming on ...... wacko

justlook3 Date: Friday, 11-Nov-11, 9:51 PM | Message # 7
Bee's Knees

It's been some weeks since I saw that episode but I do think that Carter WAS the one who killed Jane's family and that Red John is not just one person. And I am firmly in belief that Jane did think he killed Red John when he pulled the trigger. It wasn't until later that he realized. Even my sister thought that trial was ridiculous. But sadly yes, they do have to cater to the millions of people who watch who aren't online.

Fran Date: Monday, 14-Nov-11, 1:35 PM | Message # 8
Fair Dinkum

I agree that when Jane pulled the trigger he believed he was killing Red John- I wonder how he really felt when he realised he was wrong.

I'm also convinced that RJ is not just one person. But I think there has to be a leader, the brains behind it all, and possibly someone whose main motivation is the power he has controlling other people's destiny. This is who I think of as the real Red John.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 15-Nov-11, 1:54 AM | Message # 9
Bee's Knees

Yeah, me too. Maybe he doesn't even get his hands dirty. I still wonder about Bret Stiles (And Malcolm McDowell was convinced that he was Red John so I'm not alone in this). But then maybe they wanted us to think that and Stiles just has his fingers in alot of pies including the Red John organization.

Fran Date: Tuesday, 15-Nov-11, 2:05 PM | Message # 10
Fair Dinkum

Oooh justlook3, you and I have very similar thoughts on this, I'm also very suspicious of Bret Stiles, mainly because he's clever and charismatic which I think RJ has to be. Either way, I think there's more to be revealed about Stiles and his RJ connection, hope so anyway.

angel Date: Wednesday, 16-Nov-11, 4:15 PM | Message # 11
Cobber

I first watched it online and loved it and now have seen it again and love it even more. I love the fact that i can watch this show many times and still be able to have the same emotions as the first time. A rarity in a tv show.

I agree that jane definately thought it was RJ he killed otherwise i think he would not have pulled the trigger. Yes the trial was a bit rushed and i expected it to be 2-3 episodes to do this but was still impressed with it especially the closing statement by jane which totaly moved me. But was surprised in the car after when he said that he had to tell the jury this otherwise he would not have got off. I actually really believed what he said and in a way i think jane did too but for lisbon just saidt it was all an act.

I loved cho just going full speed ahead to solve the case no matter what and his great dead pan delivery with such menace behind it. Van pelt was excellent. love the new hard bitch act especially with carters wife, she was having none of it, awesome. Bertram i absolutley loathe and i still think he is in with RJ but somehow i don't think it is him. Just not classy enough or intelligent. Hope jane gets to knock him off his perch.

The girl in the celler really threw me, that was totaly unexpected and sent shivers down my spine.

I like the jury nulefication verdict. Even if i knew jane cold bloodedly killed who he thought was RJ i would give not guilty verdict and also knowing what a monster carter was. Yes i agree i think he could have killed janes family as somehow i don't think RJ actualy does the dirty work himself.

I am starting to have doubts wether stiles is RJ. I did think he was before but it is strange but i am liking him more and more and just get a feeling that he is sort of a good guy and really likes jane. Weird but thats the vibe i get.

Yes i loved the muffin ref to lisbon. That will definately become another classic jane line. And yes didn't he look absolutely gorgeous in prison duds. Too hot to handle. I so loved the poker game and how he deliberately played the others into thinking he was bluffing with certain signals he gave off. Totaly brilliant scene. And then the handing over the money to lisbon and the look on her face. Priceless. There was some lovely moments of Jane/lisbon showing what a great partnership they have.

Well i have gone on bit too much. Due to watch it again to get mums verdict but she'l love it no matter what.

justlook3 Date: Wednesday, 16-Nov-11, 7:13 PM | Message # 12
Bee's Knees

I don't think they're going to go much further with Bertram as the actor is on another show now. The Mentalist Writers said "formerly of the Mentalist" when wishing him a happy birthday recently. Soo I think unless his show gets cancelled we won't see him again. I had thought he was with RJ but now I think he was just a hmm how to put this politely tool? Political stooge I think we decided to call him on another forum. LOL.
Not actually evil in the RJ sense, just the politician sense of evil.
Yes, the Jane/Lisbon stuff was wonderful. I think alot of people were mad that she didn't turn her back on him or at least be angry. But I figure this, she said she would arrest him. She never ever said she wouldn't help him afterward. And someone else arrested him so she was free to help him. And besides she had a personal interest in Red John being put out of commission. It was her case first off. And then Red John's associates killed Bosco and his team, humiliated Van Pelt, traumatized Hightower's children and shot Lisbon herself. But I digress. I was so happy to see what I saw because it meant I was right about Lisbon and her feelings for Jane (at the very least noone can deny that they care about each other whether or not it's romantic). That smile when he sees her in the visitor's room .. . And then basically they spend the rest of the episode making out with their eyes. happy

Fran Date: Thursday, 17-Nov-11, 9:40 PM | Message # 13
Fair Dinkum

4.02 Little Red Book - Airdate 17th November

FallinFan Date: Friday, 18-Nov-11, 11:35 AM | Message # 14
Blow-In

Little Red Book - Jane at his mischievous best, back in control, and on top of the game. I REALLY loved this episode, beautifully written, so much humour, and great to see the team back where we love them smile smile smile

Fran Date: Friday, 18-Nov-11, 8:18 PM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

My favourite episodes tend to be the ones that balance the light and the dark, and Tom is one of my favourite writers, so I was in 7th heaven with this one.

Naughty Patrick getting his own way by manipulating and out-smarting everyone, with great humour combined with a steely determination. I had some laugh-out-loud moments including Jane on the gym equipment, 'Man down' and the white platform shoes scene. To balance that we had troubled Grace, Carter's widow, and the incredibly moving scene with Rosalind.

I also loved the Cho twist, even though I'm sure most of us never doubted his loyalty. And the Laroche hug was priceless, although I'm sorry we're losing Pruitt Taylor Vince.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
  • Page 1 of 8
  • »
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz