Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 6:00 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
bee Date: Friday, 09-Dec-11, 11:57 AM | Message # 31
Fair Dinkum

I enjoyed this episode immensely. Loved the scene with Jane and Lisbon walking along the beach searching for his piece of driftwood and him giving her a "pebble" saying she should make a necklace out of it and that she should have a hobby (thoughts of "pot" and "kettle" came to mind here!) Jane then getting all poetic talking about the moon and tides and Lisbon having none of it. I think the island and beautiful scenery were getting to him! Loved it when he found his piece of driftwood and left poor Lisbon to flounder on the beach while he triumphantly strides ahead swinging his "stick" spurred on, no doubt, by the thought of a cup of tea! Lisbon then asking sarcastically if he can cope! Hilarious, I absolutely love these two.

Grace's character is developing, she has become more feisty and has a much harder edge to her (not surprising really) and there is definitely tension between her and Rigsby. Loved the scene where they were arguing about who drove the car. I like Sarah a lot, she is a refreshing diversion for Rigsby but he seems a little embarrassed about dating her in front of the others. Perhaps this is, as Grace pointed out, she is a public defender which could be a little tricky.

The scene at the end with Jane on the beach was heartbreaking. He had obviously thought about what the old lady had said about throwing a flower into the sea so that others who had passed on could find peace. His family are never far from his thoughts and it's seems to me that his grief is still raw. It's sad though that at these times he is always alone and it would be nice if someone could give him a much needed hug......

angel Date: Friday, 09-Dec-11, 10:28 PM | Message # 32
Cobber

I liked this episode. It was quaint, funny and laidback. Just what i needed. Aagh jane with the butterfly at the beginning was so beautiful. I got all tingly. Great set up. Yes jane and lisbon on the beach was so funny especially when he left her there. She nearly fell over trying to follow him. Such a funny partnership. Love it.

I had absolutley no idea who the murderer was till the end. Well done to writers for that. The butterfly man i never thought off. But then the end threw me when jane sitting talking to ranch boss and worker and jane catching the worker out with the 18 stab wounds. I was saying wait a minute, theres another murderer. Totaly did not see that coming.

May i say where it used to be cho/rigsby i am now loving cho/grace partnership. Both tough. But i am really liking van pelt. She was fabulous in this episode. The writers say she has a big episode coming up and am wondering if this is to do with all the trouble she is getting into which will lead to grace really losing it. She is waiting to blow big time. But i am loving this new grace. When her and cho went to get the guy by the car and grace was tough and he hit her and she just flew into a rage was great acting by amanda. Yes when she and rigsby was arguing about who is driving was great but is it me but is Rigsby getting too soft now. Yes he has a girlfriend and he feels awkward at work around her but he just seems to be going soft in general. I hope the writers bump him up a bit as i am starting to go off his character. God you don't even see him eating anymore which was so funny. I am just wondering what is going on with this character.

The ending was so wonderful and emotional. Looking at the flower then turning back to janes face and the pain and loss you see was so moving.

Another great episode. Heres to 4.6 next week.

Fran Date: Saturday, 10-Dec-11, 10:16 PM | Message # 33
Fair Dinkum

I thought this episode had a gentle charm about it. The opening shot of the island was stunning, and I loved Patrick's expression of wonderment with the butterfly, and then on the beach where Simon turned the simple act of throwing some driftwood into the sea into a beautiful, memorable moment.

I also particularly enjoyed the scene where Jane and Lisbon searched for and found his piece of driftwood, and I loved Jane sneaking a look at the plans in the office of the fish place. I thought the way Patrick trapped Naylor was clever because we'd previously heard him correcting the other ranch hand. I also got the impression that Patrick enjoyed being on the island, I thought he appeared more relaxed than usual - there was almost a feeling of contentment about him. And so for me, that made the final scene more unexpected and poignant, a reminder that despite appearances his family are always in his thoughts - I thought that scene was beautifully simple and understated and so incredibly moving. And yes, he looked like he needed a hug, but I think his grief is so personal to him that he's not ready to share it yet.

As for Grace, I think the storyline is great although I don't like the way she's behaving at the moment. I think she has serious anger management issues which need to be addressed, and yes I suspect things will come to a head in her 'big episode'. I think she was guilty of creating the situation with Dennis - she approached him aggressively when there was no need and Cho had said he would take lead, and then she punched him in the back after he was handcuffed.

I also didn't like her behaviour with Rigsby, although I'm confused about what she's thinking. The scene where they argued about driving ended with Rigsby looking confused and embarrassed and Grace looking smug - was this meant to suggest sexual tension and that pleased Grace, or was it something else? I'm not sure, because we also had the scene near the end where Grace made some scathing remarks about Rigsby's relationship with Sarah. So there seems to be a spiteful side to Grace that we're seeing now, but I'm not sure whether that's a result of the trauma she experienced or whether we're seeing the real Grace who likes to feel she has power over Rigsby.

Fran Date: Sunday, 11-Dec-11, 12:39 PM | Message # 34
Fair Dinkum

I've been thinking about Rigsby since Angel's comments. My favourite Rigsby scenes have always been funny ones usually with Cho and occasionally with Jane. We are still getting some of those, but it feels like we're getting less of them this season.

I do think they need to round his character out a bit, but I don't think they can give big storylines to all the supporting cast at the same time, because I don't think there's time to do that without detracting from the central Jane story. But it does seem to me that Rigsby is now the least developed member of the team, and even that there isn't a fully thought-out understanding of his character.

But for me the problem is that perhaps because I see Rigsby as a comedy character, a sort of office clown, I've never really bought into his romantic or dramatic scenes. So I'm not sure what sort of Rigsby storyline would engage my interest. There have been a few occasions where I've felt that his behaviour has been a little out-of-character, for example the way he said to Grace 'At least you didn't shoot this one' - this jarred for me because I've always imagined Rigsby to be kind-hearted not spiteful. I certainly wouldn't want to see him becoming more hard-edged, quite the opposite in fact, I think if anything I'd like to see them develop his kind, supportive side.

Fran Date: Friday, 16-Dec-11, 0:15 AM | Message # 35
Fair Dinkum

4.06 Where in the World is Carmine O'Brien - Airdate 15th December

Fran Date: Friday, 16-Dec-11, 1:31 AM | Message # 36
Fair Dinkum

I'm in 2 minds about this episode. Part of me feels that its great to find out more about Lisbon and I thought her family stuff played out well. But as with other episodes that have focussed on other members of the team, it lacked many of the things I love most about the show. And understandably, considering Simon was prepping for 4.07, it was a little Patrick-light.

I am interested in the rest of the team, and I think they're right to let us get to know them better, but for me Patrick is what makes the show special. There were some nice Patrick moments - the scene in the empty cabin, the one where he accompanies Grace to trap the sleazy guy, the 'Nice job Lisbon family' or words to that effect. But we didn't really get much in the way of banter.

So I suppose its one of those episodes that I enjoyed watching, am glad to have seen, but I'm not likely to want to re-watch it much in the future.

bee Date: Friday, 16-Dec-11, 10:26 AM | Message # 37
Fair Dinkum

I agree with you Fran in that this episode lacked that "something special" and I too think the reason was that there wasn't a great deal of Jane. However there was a great Jane/Lisbon moment when they were standing waiting for the lift with Lisbon "ranting" about her brother. Jane's sarky comments were hilarious, he didn't really have to say anything though, his face said it all! They then entered the lift and both looked in the opposite direction. Priceless! I also liked the scene in the empty cabin, especially when he laid on the mattress with the sandwich in his mouth, looking through the window!!!!

I felt sorry for Cho though, he seemed to get very little sympathy from the team and we didn't really see much of him after he hobbled in the office.

On an entirely different matter I have noticed that according to the Xmas Radio Times (17th- 30th December), I have counted that The Mentalist is being shown on Channel 5 with old repeats on 5* approximately 31 times, including 5+1 (not that I'm obsessed you understand), so anyone wanting to see any previous episodes again or to see any that have been missed it's a good time to catch up.

Message edited by bee - Friday, 16-Dec-11, 10:45 AM

justlook3 Date: Friday, 16-Dec-11, 8:57 PM | Message # 38
Bee's Knees

I enjoyed this one even if it was Jane light. I do think it would have been an even better episode if it had come when they weren't trying to give Simon Baker a break. It was weird seeing Henry Thomas grown up! And Madison McLaughlin is not only a charming and funny young woman (as her twitter and youtube vids suggest) she's a fine young actress. I do believe she's one to watch in the future.
I absolutely loved the rant scene. It really shows how much their relationship has changed. In the past her family was as off limits as his. This time she wasted no time venting to him about how she felt. And LOL his reaction, part "I didn't want to know this", part "hey she's opening up to me" and mostly "oh god, what if she suddenly turns this wrath on me." Which she did when he dared to say anything to her. They were sooo old married couple in the scene.

You know given all the reruns we've had recently you guys will be caught up with us by January!!

Message edited by justlook3 - Friday, 16-Dec-11, 9:14 PM

angel Date: Friday, 16-Dec-11, 11:39 PM | Message # 39
Cobber

Yes i liked this episode. And agree it was jane light but the times he was in it was pure jane.

I too loved the lift scene with lisbon ranting on at him and he with the quiet replies. And the cabin scene. Was wondering what on earth he was doing as i thought what is he doing moving in then realised it was a set up. clever jane.

Van pelt yet again has not dissapointed me and classic jane given her a chance to nab the sex fiend. Priceless.

Sad also that cho was not in it much. But i think this was meant to be rigsby turn to shine and give it to owain i finaly enjoyed a rigsby episode as i think his character was really not doing well. But he came thru.

I did like henry thomas very much and am amazed at how similar he looks to robin so the family likeness went well with these two. Loved the end scene when lisbon got all emotional and trying to hold back tears when she said how proud she was of him and a little envious. Wonderful acting.

All in all i liked it but am really looking forward to 4.7 next week.

Fran Date: Saturday, 17-Dec-11, 1:01 AM | Message # 40
Fair Dinkum

I can't believe I forgot the lift scene facepalm - I agree with you all, it was one of the highlights.

angel Date: Friday, 23-Dec-11, 11:59 PM | Message # 41
Cobber

4.07 Blinking Red Light - Airdate 22 December

Message edited by angel - Saturday, 24-Dec-11, 0:00 AM

angel Date: Saturday, 24-Dec-11, 0:02 AM | Message # 42
Cobber

I loved this episode. It was so atmospheric and creepy all the way. It was like watching a Hitchcock movie which i am a big fan so big kuddos to simon.

I understand the praise for the music as this really set the tone of epis. DPaymer was excellent as panzer. You feel for him then when Jane puts the song on ipod at his place you then know like Jane for sure this is the real killer. Then the cat and mouse game between the two was incredible.

The climax on the show (love having missi back) when you see the red light on camera my heart sped as you know Jane is going to do something and then to see him set panzer up for Red John. Then the ending with panzer dead and smiley on wall then just ends quick what class.

This was a classy episode with class acting/directing by Simon. Definately another one of my all time faves. They all seem to be coming out of s4. What a great season biggrin

And on a last note, YES Rigsby stuffing his face while on a case. Finally, was beginning to think he was on a diet smile

Message edited by angel - Saturday, 24-Dec-11, 0:04 AM

bee Date: Saturday, 24-Dec-11, 12:01 PM | Message # 43
Fair Dinkum

Yes I loved this episode too it was full of drama and suspense, much of it to do with Simon's directing I believe. He certainly has a definite style. The first scene with Jane changing the wheel was cute, only Jane could do that sitting cross-legged, dressed immaculately in his three piece suit. Jane also at the computer (using one finger) was also cute as was Lisbon with her sarky comment which completely went over his head!

The best scenes for me though were when Lisbon and Grace were at Richard Hibach's house, the silence made it more spooky and also Jane walking out of Panzer's bathroom towards him seeing it as though through Jane's eyes was really creepy (Simon's direction at its best). Watching Jane looking at Molly dancing on the screen was very moving, you could sense Jane was thinking of the loss of his daughter too.

I am not sure about Special Agent Susan Darcy (is there a clue in this name?) She didn't seem real to me. Her dress sense was a little over the top with her tight skirt and high heels. I'd love to see her chasing the "bad guys" in that get up. We never saw Hightower dressed like that!

The scene with Jane setting up Panzer shows just how manipulative Jane can be and later in the dressing room telling Panzer he did a good job, he knew that was probably the last time he would see Panzer alive! This definitely shows the darker side of Jane which we only see when getting close to Red John. The final scene shows the true Jane, he doesn't even look at Panzer's body, the look on his face confirms what he knew all along, that Red John is still out there. Creepy! One of my all time favourite episodes. Can't wait to see how the Red John storyline develops.....

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 24-Dec-11, 2:14 PM

Fran Date: Thursday, 29-Dec-11, 3:52 PM | Message # 44
Fair Dinkum

Despite it not containing much of the humour that I love, I thought this episode was brilliant and beautifully crafted. I was impressed with Simon’s directing flair on ‘Red Moon’, but I think ‘Blinking Red Light’ demonstrates a significant leap in his confidence as a director. Even his influence on casting was apparent with excellent performances from William Mapother and David Paymer - I thought all of the scenes with Panzer and Jane were fabulous, 2 great actors playing really well off eachother.

I particularly liked the scene with Lisbon and Haibach, where he was standing in front of the fire and he gradually broke down. And I thought the scenes with the murdered girl’s family were very well done- the one in the lounge where Patrick was observing Panzer so closely, and I was really moved by the one in the girl’s bedroom with ‘What a Wonderful World’. The scene in Panzer’s room where the same song was playing was my favourite from the whole episode – the sadness was still there, but at the same time it was so chilling. For me, that was the moment that I knew without a doubt that Panzer was the killer, and the mind games really began.

Its not often that we see Jane being outwitted, but it gave us some twists and turns and reminded us how ruthless Jane can be in pursuit of justice. During the TV interview we could see him thinking it through, and for a moment I imagined he had a little doubt about whether he should do it, until Panzer said that there would be many more killings. When he visited him in his dressing room and praised him, I felt maybe he was giving him a little gift – a brief high before his inevitable death. I thought the final scene, all one shot, was amazing and well worth the 3 hours it took them to capture it. I’ve thought about that half-smile on Patrick’s face as he walked towards the Red John smiley – I can’t decide if it was due to satisfaction that his plan had worked or because he now had proof that Red John is still alive.

I do feel that this episode has set a new standard for other episodes to live up to, although I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing because inevitably some episodes will be disappointing by comparison. But Simon has said that the Red John storyline starts to get very very twisted, so I’m very much looking forward to how the 2nd half of the season plays out. My only concern about this episode being so great is that after The Mentalist finishes, Simon’s career may move more towards directing rather than acting, particularly as he says that he now finds directing more fulfilling - I feel he still has so much to offer as an actor and would hate to lose him from our screens.

Quote (angel)
It was so atmospheric and creepy all the way. It was like watching a Hitchcock movie which i am a big fan so big kuddos to simon.

Yes I agree, very atmospheric - I didn't think about Hitchock at the time, but I think you're right, it did feel like that at times.

Quote (angel)
YES Rigsby stuffing his face while on a case. Finally, was beginning to think he was on a diet

One of the few humourous moments, made me laugh. I think Owain is careful about what he eats, so it may be a problem for him for Rigsby to be eating all the time. He's vegetarian isn't he, but I don't know if he's always been or if its only recently.

Quote (bee)
Jane walking out of Panzer's bathroom towards him seeing it as though through Jane's eyes was really creepy (Simon's direction at its best)

I thought that was a really nice touch from Simon, I don't think we've ever seen that technique used on the show. But I think in many ways Simon thinks more like a film director than a TV show director.

Fran Date: Friday, 30-Dec-11, 0:31 AM | Message # 45
Fair Dinkum

4.08 Pink Tops - Airdate 29th December

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz