Sunday, 28-Apr-24, 8:54 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
lionking Date: Friday, 30-Dec-11, 2:08 PM | Message # 46
Blow-In

Christmas has intervened so I haven't been giving any comments recently but I am now all caught up.

In summary, Carmine O'Brien was ok, but I am not much interested in other characters back story in isolation. Basically, I missed Jane too much in the episode and the scene with Lisbon in the lift was the highlight of a low key episode for me.

Blinking Red Light was superlative television. Really atmospheric and tense. Other posters have already mentioned most of what I responded to, in particular two of my favourite scenes - the one with Haibach in front of the fire and the tracking shot with Jane as he came out of the bathroom. I loved that you couldn't see all of Panzer's body which made me nervous that he might be hiding a knife and planning an attack. Hitchcock is an interesting comparison in terms of technique.

Like Fran, this reinforced my belief that SB could develop into a really talented director and I hope that in future he can further his career somewhat in the way of Clint Eastwood, combining acting and directing.

Last night's episode was fun, I really enjoyed it and didn't guess who was the guilty party. Loved the first scene with Jane realising that the murder victim was an undercover cop and annoying the senior police officer. "I was going to say that" with that fantastic crack in the register of SB's voice, made me laugh out loud. Lots of good comedy from Simon particularly with his reaction at the end of the shoot out when he wanted to find his shoes.

I also liked Cho and Summer. I hope she is a recurring character as they played off each other really well and I love a bit of Cho-business.

Message edited by lionking - Friday, 30-Dec-11, 2:10 PM

justlook3 Date: Friday, 30-Dec-11, 8:51 PM | Message # 47
Bee's Knees

So if episode 8 just aired then you will be caught up with us by the time episode 11 airs in mid January. Darn repeats. wink

angel Date: Friday, 30-Dec-11, 11:05 PM | Message # 48
Cobber

Well another great episode. This one just glided along and before you knew it it was finished. I was just so into it. god i am loving this season.

Yes i loved jane at the start when he knew something was up with the victim and his confrontation with the detective. I loved after he was pushed to the wall that he wanted to go after him and then trying to calm himself. It was funny in a way but then we know that simon does have a dark side and don't underestimate him but this was definately jesting.

I really had no idea it was the friend/fellow cop who did it and why. Threw me off that did. But the sting at the end was brilliant and yes love the little quip at the end about if anyone had seen his shoes. Nice touch smile

Kuddos to summer and cho. I really liked these 2 together and i just took a shine to summer from the start. yes i hope she will be back. Liked the quick smile from cho in the interrogation room. That i think was a first for him to smile while interrogating a suspect. Usually he is icily cool biggrin

Loved that lisbon at the end tried to ease husband pain by explaining what his wife had done. Beautiful scene.

Also loved the polite little conversation between vega and jane when they first meet in club and ending with their little quips about each others suits. So charmingly played and then when they next meet at the end how completely cold they both were. Great scene on both counts between these two cool

Loved it. Brilliant. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next episode as more great ones to come. Bring it on.

bee Date: Saturday, 31-Dec-11, 1:26 PM | Message # 49
Fair Dinkum

Have to agree another great episode. I also loved the confrontation Jane had with the detective and the fact that Lisbon had to stop him from going after him and then he calmed himself. Hilarious. Sometimes I think it is just bravado on Jane's part, would he really be that brave?

I liked Summer also and can't wait to see if anything develops there with Cho. Could be interesting. Also seems Jane can't resist a couch when he sees one and loved his quip at the undercover cops office about their couch not being comfy!!

Jane's remark to Lisbon in the final scene when the victim's husband was approaching them..."husband at my 12 o'clock, your 6.30"......priceless. I agree, hope we don't have to wait too long before the next episode.

Juney Date: Saturday, 31-Dec-11, 5:59 PM | Message # 50
Bee's Knees

Yet again TM makes way for some so called reality show. Channel 5 why?

Fran Date: Saturday, 31-Dec-11, 7:42 PM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

I agree with everyone else’s comments about this episode and seem to have enjoyed the same moments. Simon got every last ounce of humour out of his opening scene, the way he said “That’s what I was going to say” also made me laugh out loud and who can resist Patrick pretending to be butch - I think he knew that Lisbon would stop him biggrin . I also liked the Summer/Cho connection - Cho's little smile was great - will be happy to see her again and am interested to see how that’s going to play out.

There were some nicely observed Patrick-isms which I always enjoy – when he interrupted the husband because he realised the child was there, and then watched the child as he was taken away; laying on the drugs unit’s couch and the not comfy comment; “Do you mind turning the bass down a little, makes me want to go to the bathroom” ; and yes, when he asked if anyone had seen his shoes.

Interesting that when Lisbon mentioned Red John, Patrick distracted her and then made a run for it, so he’s keeping his cards close to his chest again.

Although he only had a small role, I was impressed with the screen presence of Stephen Bishop (Trey) – I wouldn’t be surprised to see his career taking off at some point.

Quote (justlook3)
So if episode 8 just aired then you will be caught up with us by the time episode 11 airs in mid January.

We now have a break in the UK. The commentator said ”Patrick Jane is taking a short break now but will be back later in 2012” – its anybody’s guess what that means, but I’m hoping it will just be 3 or 4 weeks.

Quote (Juney)
Yet again TM makes way for some so called reality show. Channel 5 why?

I’ve been thinking that I wouldn’t be surprised if Channel 5 drops The Mentalist after the end of this season, because although its one of their top-rated shows, its demographic profile doesn’t match their advertising sales strategy. It’s pretty much the only quality show on that channel now, and all their new shows are aimed at the younger audience.

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 31-Dec-11, 8:02 PM | Message # 52
Bee's Knees

We now have a break in the UK. The commentator said ”Patrick Jane is taking a short break now but will be back later in 2012” – its anybody’s guess what that means, but I’m hoping it will just be 3 or 4 weeks.

Ugh, that's annoying. Hopefully it won't be too long. We'll have over a month break ourselves (then there was the matter of having only 2 episodes in a SWEEPS month). I liked tv much better when I was catching up on back seasons, no waiting! LOL.

Fran Date: Monday, 02-Jan-12, 2:16 PM | Message # 53
Fair Dinkum

Quote (justlook3)
I liked tv much better when I was catching up on back seasons, no waiting! LOL.

That's so true - we had to wait nearly 10 years for The Guardian but when we finally got it there was an episode every day - it was great. Mind you, we were blissfully unaware of its existence so we weren't waiting for it. Its a very different situation to The Mentalist when even a couple of weeks seems like a painful wait weep

Fran Date: Thursday, 05-Jan-12, 3:52 PM | Message # 54
Fair Dinkum

Channel 5 have advised that they currently have no date for the continuation of Season 4, but it's just a mid-season break and they will continue to keep inline with the USA. They also advised that they are likely to want to renew the broadcast rights for Season 5.
Thanks to angel for the info.

Channel5 website FAQ say "Following Episode 8 on 29th December 2011, Series 4 is taking a mid-season break. We do not currently have a date for its return, but we will post details here as soon as they are confirmed."

Channel5 Twitter (not always reliable) say"The Mentalist is currently taking a mid-season break (as it does in the US) but will be back in Feb. "

Channel5 Facebook (not always reliable) say "The Mentalist, Season 4 is on a mid-series hiatus and will continue in February (date tbc)."

angel Date: Saturday, 18-Feb-12, 9:32 PM | Message # 55
Cobber

4.6 The Red Shirt - Airdate 17 February 2012

Well what can i say but welcome back. Absolutely loved this episode. so funny and all the team had their own classic moments.

Where do i start. From jane catching doc in bed with 2 ladies when he should be dead. Awkward but so funny the look on janes face. Doc hittin on grace and she replies ' the thing is i shot and killed my last boyfriend' priceless'. Rigsby opening up to cho who has fallen asleep on janes couch. Cho and jane tweeting a obsessed fan who thinks he's owed something and challenging him. So funny they pretended to be the ticket touter who was trying to get money by selling fake memorabilia. Jane telling docs girlfriend that doc had bought an expensive necklace and jane and lisbon looking in amazement as she totaly changes and completely goes off on one. Then jane telling her he was kidding. Loved it. The con in the end which is classic jane at his best.

So many classic moments. Also is it just me but wainright is really growing on me. From start to finish he pops up every now and then and he is so funny. Is he really that nieve almost like a kid but it is wonderful to watch. When he finds out that doc is alive and is not happy he wasn't told then turns to ask lisbon would doc mind if he got an autograph. Bless him. I am liking him more and more so am glad he is in the show.

All in all this was a wonderful funny episode which is just what i needed this week to calm me down.

To top it off the end scene with jane and lisbon sharing an ice cream was lovely. God for someone who can't have dairy that ice cream looked bloody marvelous.

So glad to have the show back and roll on next week with the clasic 4.10 Fugue In Red which i can't wait to actually see on the big screen in all ita glory.

Message edited by angel - Saturday, 18-Feb-12, 9:41 PM

Fran Date: Monday, 20-Feb-12, 1:04 PM | Message # 56
Fair Dinkum

I agree Angel, this was a very enjoyable fun episode, almost a romp and I laughed a lot. I think you've picked out all my favourite moments, particularly the scenes where Patrick was doing his thing, and yes the con at the end was classic and brilliant. I liked the fact that the con involved re-uniting Doc and his ex-wife - Patrick is just a romantic at heart. I think everybody must have loved the final ice-cream sharing scene, simply done but wonderful.

I think Wainright is very likeable, amusingly naive and totally unsuitable for the Head of CBI. I think this is a deliberate ploy by the writers to lighten the restraints on Patrick this season - a 'give him enough rope' situation. So I'm very interested to see how the consequences of that are going to play out - I see trouble ahead!

bee Date: Monday, 20-Feb-12, 4:01 PM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

I also loved this episode mainly for all the reasons given above. So many fun moments to mention but I especially liked it when Cho and Jane were tweeting. Jane's imagination ran riot here and I loved it when he said "getting worked up now" or words to that effect at the end....hilarious. I only wish I could text as fast as Cho! I too think Patrick is a hopeless romantic and look forward to the time when he finds someone for himself...he certainly deserves it.

I also believe Wainwright is there for a reason, Jane certainly likes him (although I think this may be because he is easy to manipulate). I wasn't keen on him at first but he is growing on me and I don't think he is as naive as people imagine! He may surprise us. The ending with Lisbon and Jane was great, I noticed that Jane waited for Lisbon to taste the ice-cream first before he did, but I wonder who got the cherry???

Fran Date: Tuesday, 21-Feb-12, 6:46 PM | Message # 58
Fair Dinkum

I've just remembered another of my highlights from this episode - the whole "I love arts and crafts, it really relaxes me" scene with Patrick ruining Lisbon's coffee and ending with taking photos of Rigsby who hasn't a clue what's going on - brilliant!

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 21-Feb-12, 7:13 PM | Message # 59
Bee's Knees

From what the Mentalist peeps on Twitter said, they all liked the sundae scene because with all of the takes, there was ice cream for everybody. LOL.
I liked that scene because along with it being cute, it was a nice uplifting ending. Heck, the whole show was a bit of a shiny spot in so much dark this season. Doc in particular looks like he's turning over a new leaf, reuniting with the woman he always loved, trying to comfort the mother of the man who was killed, etc. Parallels to Jane's past life maybe?
Cho and Jane on twitter was priceless. So much fun this episode.

angel Date: Friday, 24-Feb-12, 1:24 PM | Message # 60
Cobber

Considering wainwright actor Rady is going off to do another series i should think he will be leaving the mentalist. So wonder if the finale is supposed to be centered around him with another shock or he will just leave of his own accord. Now i am really wondering how the season will end now. Can't wait.

But it will be sad if he goes as he has grown on me. But all the bosses at cbi have been brilliant but now the question is who will they finalyy get in there permanently. Unless they are leaving it open for itzin to come back as he wanted to do other things first. You never know as he did leave the show quietly. So could be that he might come back. Who knows that may have been the plan all the while. Who knows he could be Red John after all. many questions. Just let the series pann out and wait and see.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz