Thursday, 28-Mar-24, 9:55 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
lionking Date: Friday, 18-Nov-11, 9:48 PM | Message # 16
Blow-In

Yes, I'm sad we probably won't see LaRoche and Bertram again. I have enjoyed them both in different ways.

I liked this episode too as I love it whenever Jane is doing what he does best - a nice complicated play where he is at his manipulative best, running rings around everyone else. Loved the gym scene, particularly the framing where Jane uses the weights and keeps popping up into shot while the lead agent is trying to interview the suspects. So funny. The goading of the smaller agent in to attacking his colleague was mean but I confess I did laugh.

I was also pleased to see the back story bubbling away with VP and Rosalind.

I wonder if Rosalind was lying. Given it has been hinted that RJ is probably several people, either working together or at the behest of someone else, the person she met needn't be the one Jane is looking for anyway.

Personally I hope that it transpires that Jane has shot the man who killed his family, but his quest is not over as he still has to catch the person who directed Carter to do the murders.

angel Date: Friday, 18-Nov-11, 10:04 PM | Message # 17
Cobber

Loved it, loved it, loved it. The gym scene with jane lifting weight then lady on treadmill, i never laughed so much and was just what i needed. When cho went into boss office i nearly thought 'no don't do it' then nah its a ploy. Then putting in suicide and end scene which gave me shivers was great move in middle of fun. One of the best episodes ever. And sad goodbye to laroache. Hope he comes back. Dam what was in the tupperware? Only thing i hated was dam Bertram is still here though jane putting one over on him was priceless.

bee Date: Thursday, 24-Nov-11, 3:39 PM | Message # 18
Fair Dinkum

Asolutely loved this episode. Jane is back to his "naughty schoolboy" antics again. Knew it wouldn't take long! Loved the prank with the shoes together with the gym scene - laugh out loud moments. Then there is the serious side of Jane - his first thought for Lisbon's job and the last scene with Rosalind Harker, very moving. This is why the series is so successful - it's so diverse. One minute you are laughing, the next you are sad.

Nice to see Lisbon is still supporting Jane. She has come a long way since the beginning when everything was done "by the book" but she is now prepared to help Jane even when she has been suspended. Loving their rapport and nice to see their bond getting closer each episode. I think she cares deeply about Jane and wants so much to believe that Carter was Red John so that Jane can finally move on. Sad to see LaRoche go, didn't like him at first but he has a soft side and now we'll never know what was in that tupperware box!!

Finally, Jane getting the better of Ray Haffner and Gale Bertram was a joy to see. They didn't stand a chance! Looks like a great season.

Message edited by bee - Thursday, 24-Nov-11, 3:48 PM

Fran Date: Thursday, 24-Nov-11, 9:57 PM | Message # 19
Fair Dinkum

4.03 Pretty Red Balloon - Airdate 24th November

angel Date: Friday, 25-Nov-11, 10:15 PM | Message # 20
Cobber

Well Fran i have taken what you said to me on board and i have watched the episode carefully.

I have to say i loved this episode. It had a mix of fun and serious. Simon was absolutely brilliant. My fave scene has to be when he fakes a vision. Just incredible acting even i believed. Then he gets up turns to the faker and smiles and says 'now thats how you fake a vision' walks off and stretches as if he's tired from it all and plonks himself on the couch. Priceless. biggrin

But also when the mother is pleading with him to not dismiss his gift and help her was so moving. And the flashback to his psychic days was wonderful. The lisbon/jane interaction was great and yes the banter at the end which you told me was ad libbed was wonderful end to the episode. The trust the two have with their acting is amazing.

Kudo to van pelt as well. Love her the way she is now. She actually did a bit of cho with her serious look when asked by rigsby if she was ok after the shooting and her quip that she felt good when she shoots someone. Then smiles that she was joking. But the new tough grace when she went off and took down the bad guy was wonderful. Glad she is getting the screen time and meaty role now as i felt the writers were keeping her back too much as the series went along.

Have to admit i did not like the fake psychic guest. Yes he actualy acted too fake for my liking as if he wasn't trying to hide the fact so was a bit irritating and to me bad acting though at the end when jane caught him out on tape he went out on a high. Shame he wasn't like this all the way thru which would have made watching him easier. The uncle i felt was played well, lot of anger there. But the stepbrother of the kid well just didn't cut it for me either until later on. But kelli williams was excellent in her role. She is a fine actress.

All in all i loved this episode and just think this is shaping up to be another fantastic season. Shame that the usa ratings can't pick up a bit more especialy in the demos but these days it is all dvr now and it shows in the figures that the mentalist still can get 16 to 17 million viewers. Major achievement in a fourth season. Role on episode 4.4 with the new boss thumb

lionking Date: Saturday, 26-Nov-11, 0:44 AM | Message # 21
Blow-In

I also loved this episode, my favourite of Series 4 so far.

Best part was "and that's how you fake a psychic reading" - truly hilarious. I also loved the end scene between Lisbon and Jane: "I'm not going to hell." "Ah so you have made other arrangements." I love their banter.

I thought the actress who played the mum was really good and her scenes with Jane were very touching, however if I was to nitpick I would have to say I didn't think the step son worked as a villain. He was never fleshed out enough as a character to make his plan and obsession seem compelling.

I continue to enjoy the change in VP. I particularly liked her teasing of Rigsby with the comment "I'm starting to enjoy killing people". I hope this development continues as I felt Grace was poorly served last season, though I do hope the writers don't fall back on rekindling the relationship between her and Rigs. I feel that ship has sailed and it is more interesting to move on.

All in all highly enjoyable, with a mix of all the things I love about the show.

As Angel mentions it is a shame that the ratings aren't a bit better. Once dvr recordings are put into the mix The Mentalist can be seen to be as popular as ever, but for the networks it seems only the overnights that matter. In the US it has such a poor lead in this year in the schedule which doesn't help. If this does turn out to be the last season at least the quality is being maintained instead of fizzling out like so many long running shows.

Fran Date: Saturday, 26-Nov-11, 7:02 PM | Message # 22
Fair Dinkum

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the 2nd one, but I still thought it was very good. For me, it just lacked that special something that keeps it off my favourites shortlist. I can't really put my finger on why that is, apart perhaps from my feeling that the step-brother and fake psychic weren't quite up to the usual standard of guest stars. I thought Kelli Williams as the distraught mother was great, I like her as an actress and think she does angst very well - I also found her pleading with Patrick scene very moving.

My favourite scenes, most of them already mentioned by you both - Patrick's fake vision (particularly enjoyed the way he threw himself on the couch afterwards), most of the Jane/Lisbon scenes especially the final one, Van Pelt teasing Rigsby, Patrick's smile when he tricked the fake psychic, and the opening scene with Patrick, Lisbon and Van Pelt (loved Van Pelt's amusement and interaction with Patrick).

I agree with you both about Van Pelt. I've always found her to be the weakest character so its great to see her character being developed ,and I have to admit I had under-estimated her acting ability. I also agree with you lionking that I don't want to see a re-birth of the Rigsby/Van Pelt relationship. To be honest that relationship never really worked for me. I suspect it will be re-visited before the series ends, but perhaps at some future date when the characters have evolved more, it may work better.

I don't think there's really any doubt that there will be a 5th season. Times and viewing habits are a-changing and all broadcasters need to find a way to work with the DVR & Online viewing trend. The 10pm slot is notoriously difficult, and what CBS has in The Mentalist is a low-cost show that nearly always gets more live viewers than any other scripted show airing at 10pm on any day of the week. And for Warners its a money-spinner, with syndication, overseas sales & DVD sales, so I'm sure they'll be very keen for it to continue.

bee Date: Sunday, 27-Nov-11, 6:01 PM | Message # 23
Fair Dinkum

Another great episode. More Jane/Lisbon moments, he seemed genuinely pleased to have her back. I always look foward to their banter and I believe he enjoys batting heads with her! Kelli Williams was good as the distraught mother but I must admit I was irritated by the way she continued to disbelieve Jane when he tried to tell her he wasn't a psychic! Although in her position I would probably be the same. Jane's reaction to her though was emotional - he seemed to regret conning her all those years before, great acting on Simon's part, his face said it all.

I think Nathan Glass was supposed to look fake to show us how good Jane really appeared when he was a "psychic", this is shown in Jane's psychic reading at the office (which was hilarious) but at first glance appeared real in comparison to Nathan Glass' reading.

Didn't notice the note Jane slipped into Rigsby's pocket until second viewing! He is so sneaky. Nice to see more of the harder side of Van Pelt, hope it continues and she is not left back at the office as usual! Loved the fact that when Lisbon asked Jane what he was thinking he replied "that love is strange and I was thinking about a sandwich" Lisbon didn't bat an eye and think this remark to be weird at all, does this mean she is on the same wavelength as Jane? Spooky!! Also thought it cute when Jane was explaining to Beth at the end that it was a trick he kept glancing back at Lisbon (for reassurance?). I agree the banter at the end between Jane and Lisbon in the car was great, their improvisation shows how well they gel together. Altogether loved this episode, it just gets better. biggrin

Message edited by bee - Sunday, 27-Nov-11, 6:07 PM

justlook3 Date: Monday, 28-Nov-11, 4:17 AM | Message # 24
Bee's Knees

Loved the fact that when Lisbon asked Jane what he was thinking he replied "that love is strange and I was thinking about a sandwich" Lisbon didn't bat an eye and think this remark to be weird at all, does this mean she is on the same wavelength as Jane? Spooky!!

I found it strange her reaction too until they were in the interrogation and she just pulls out, "we know you're in love with your stepmother" (or however she worded it) and then I was like oooh. Then the thought was omg they are an old married couple. LOL. Husband and I often think alike to the point of it being freaky and now Jane and Lisbon are Vulcan mind melding.

Fran Date: Friday, 02-Dec-11, 1:06 AM | Message # 25
Fair Dinkum

4.04 Ring Around the Rosie - Airdate 1st December

angel Date: Friday, 02-Dec-11, 10:22 PM | Message # 26
Cobber

Well i am in 2 minds. I still think this is a great episode but for me it was the weakest of the 4 so far. But again i say i still loved it so that is saying something.

Jane as usual was wonderful. I did love him taking charge when planning the sting to flush the guy out. And his encounters with the new boss i liked though by the end of the episode i was getting bit bored with boss. Though his final assessment that jane was a clinical psychopath was interesting.

The best line again has to go to cho for his 'hi there, your under arrest for the attempted murder of ----- everyone' hands Another classic. Also i did not mind janes southern accent. He didn't use it for very long. When frst aired i got the impression he used it till the end of the episode but it was only in the one segment.

Grace as usual i liked and am really enjoying watching her grow. Sorry to say i think this series rigsby seems to be falling back in terms of character developement. sad Maybe when he gets the new girlfriend it will pick up. I agree i hope they don't go back to the rigsby/van pelt relationship. That is done and dusted. I want to see her move on and hopefully find a guy.

Did love the scenes with lisbon and willie. Emotional.

And the ending was brilliant. I did not expect it. The blanks in the gun was brilliant. Looking forward to 4.5 thumb

Fran Date: Saturday, 03-Dec-11, 2:54 AM | Message # 27
Fair Dinkum

Well, I agree, not the best episode but still very good. I thought it was interesting because the writers tried something a little different which I think is a good thing to do from time-to-time on a long-running show. And trying to prevent crime rather than just solving it is an interesting concept.

I rather liked the new boss and the dynamic between him and Jane. I liked that Jane wasn’t judgemental about his age - It would have been so easy to stereotype this situation, and they didn’t do that.

I really enjoyed the scene where Jane befriended Tibbs, the accent and dialogue brought a smile to my face although that promptly disappeared when Tibbs was pointing that big gun.

My favourite Cho moment, even more than the attempted murder of everyone remark, was when he put on his disguise, the expression on his face was hilarious. And he also had a great scene at the shooting range.

I liked the Lisbon/Willie storyline – I thought it was lovely to see this side of Lisbon, it was as if I’d got to know her a little better.

I thought the garden party scene was great, although it did cross my mind to think what if Tibbs had used ammunition that he had on him. There was a very brief moment when Jane smelt the rose, for some reason it made me wonder what he was thinking at that moment.

The final scene with Jane & Lisbon was so cute, I got the impression that Wainwright’s comments had got through to him and he needed company – and of course Lisbon was there for him.

lionking Date: Saturday, 03-Dec-11, 1:38 PM | Message # 28
Blow-In

I felt it was all a bit run of the mill this week though I admit I am not especially fond of episodes where Jane and Lisbon are split up. I'm not really a shipper but I do feel their dynamic really lifts the material.

That said, I did like Jane being more proactive and taking charge and Cho's attempted murder quip was priceless.

Wainwright was introduced in an interesting low key way, leaving room for doubt on whether he will be a road-block to Jane or possibly an ally. Jane sending him to arrest Tibbs knowing that he would mess it up and inadvertently stress the assassin into action, was clever. I liked the way Wainwright didn't seem to take offence but simply realised he need to exercise greater caution around PJ. His assessment of Jane was interesting although I would have thought he was more of a sociopath than a psychopath.

The final scene was great. I agree with you Fran, I think Jane was feeling a little disconcerted and wanted some Lisbon support. I'd like to see more of this development as I am still waiting for a greater sense of fall out from the previous series.

bee Date: Sunday, 04-Dec-11, 12:13 PM | Message # 29
Fair Dinkum

I'm afraid this episode felt a little flat to me. I thought the storyline was a little weak compared to others and I found the new boss to be a little boring and lacking in personality, although Jane seemed to like him (perhaps because of his inexperience or he was easy to manipulate) as was proven in this episode. Others before him have fallen by the wayside so I hope he is able to cope with Jane's ways. I thought his assessment of Jane was a little harsh knowing his background. He just did not have the same impact as, say, Hightower or JJ LaRoche. For me, Minelli was by far the best and I would have liked him to have come out of retirement because I seem to remember some classic moments between him, Jane and Lisbon.

Seeing a little into Lisbon's past was refreshing and nice to know she had a life before joining the CBI! She always shows great compassion. I also found Jane's southern accent hilarious (is there nothing this man can't do?) and the classic Cho one-liner was also in the mix! I liked Jane's one-liner too, "the trouble with homicide is there's so much death!".

However, for me the last scene between Jane and Lisbon made it worthwhile. So sad to see Jane alone, when everyone had gone home, sipping his cup of tea (I am beginning to think that this is some type of "comfort blanket" for him) and so nice to see Lisbon checking if he was OK. When he asked Lisbon if she wanted some tea and she said that she was tired and wanted to go home he seemed genuinely disappointed. Lisbon sensing this said she'd "take one to go" and when he followed her, I felt he did not want her to leave. I think he missed the closeness between them on this case (as did I). I also sensed that he needed her support, as when he asked her if she thought he had an anti-social personality Lisbon, being Lisbon, said what she knew he needed to hear. He may appear brash and arrogant on the outside but I feel he is also vulnerable and insecure. I would have liked this scene to have been a little longer but I suppose that is the whole idea, to leave you wanting more ..............

Message edited by bee - Monday, 05-Dec-11, 1:01 PM

Fran Date: Friday, 09-Dec-11, 1:33 AM | Message # 30
Fair Dinkum

4.05 Blood and Sand - Airdate 8th December

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz