Tuesday, 23-Apr-24, 9:27 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
angel Date: Monday, 26-Mar-12, 4:09 PM | Message # 76
Cobber

4.14 At First Blush - Airdate 23 March 2012 I loved it from start. When jane watching accused in slow mo had me gripped. I kept watching her mannerisms. Loved when he took lisbon sandwich so funny and little games they play with old woman and end trap. Jane hope lisbon read what he up to and she did. And cho, if u want real electric chemistry cho n summer r it. My god that elevater scene was hot. I kept thinking come on cho she's giving u enough of hint. Rigsby irish accent spot on and phone scene so funny. But riley had awful irish accent kept slipping. Is it me but r all TrueBlood actors showing up in tm? Loved end con and rush to court. Hate ardiles but when he gave jane nickel and thanked him there is hope. This is one of my fave epis. Enjoyed every minute.

bee Date: Monday, 26-Mar-12, 8:41 PM | Message # 77
Fair Dinkum

I too loved this episode especially as Jane could tell she was innocent by having a ladder in her stockings, a missing button on her coat and the fact that she loved her parents! If only life was that simple. Thought it cute when Jane stole Lisbon's sandwich and ran away eating it. Sometimes they are like a couple of kids! Also liked Jane's "reverse psychology" with the old lady, although Lisbon's face was a picture. I thought it hilarious when she said "step away from the door blondie". I thought it nice that Rigsby is concerned that Cho is taking too many pills. I did feel sorry for Rigsby though when he had to imitate the irish accent (which I thought was great by the way). Unfortunately he always pulls the short straw.

Loved it when Jane said that he "wanted a little smile" and Lisbon answered that "he can't have everything". Nice touch! I liked Summer at first but I think she maybe getting "too big for her boots" and she is starting to irritate me a little. She is taking matters into her own hands and all she seems to care about is the money aspect! I can't make out if it's Cho she wants to impress or how much money she can get out of him. I think the lift scene was a surprise though and I felt sorry for Cho when she slapped him. He's such a sweet guy. Altogether an enjoyable episode but cannot wait for the RJ storyline to continue. As a matter of interest the latest episode of The Mentalist is also now being aired on Channel 5 on a Monday afternoon at 2.15 pm.

Message edited by bee - Tuesday, 27-Mar-12, 12:14 PM

Fran Date: Wednesday, 28-Mar-12, 12:44 PM | Message # 78
Fair Dinkum

Oh dear, I'm going to sound like one of the awful Moaning Minnie brigade now, but I just didn't feel the Cho/Summer passion in the elevator. I'm afraid I didn't find it convincing, it felt more like a performance than the real thing. I know I shouldn't make comparisons, but my mind went back to a similar situation in 'Something New' - now that was really WOW!

Right, that's the negative out of the way - I thought the rest of the episode was great. I agree with comments above about highlights from the episode. Particularly - Pinching Lisbon's sandwich which was my favourite moment. And also the reverse psychology Patrick used on the old lady, that technique has worked on my Mum on several occasions biggrin . Oh yes, and the "step away from the door blondie" was great - I know the actress from 'Desperate Housewives' and she plays that type of role very well. I loved Jane's manner during this scene, he seemed amused by her.

Another bit that made me laugh was Cho's face when Jane asked him to do an Irish accent - I think it was clear to everyone that even Jane's manipulative skills would not be enough to persuade him to give it a try. Also, it seems to me that Grace still has anger management issues that need to be addressed.

I was a bit suspicious of the husband, but sort of guessed that Diane Farr would be the murderer, particularly as one of the promo photos showed her in a blonde wig, a bit of a boo-boo by CBS in my opinion.

justlook3 Date: Wednesday, 28-Mar-12, 5:59 PM | Message # 79
Bee's Knees

I was suspicious of the husband just because he played a murderer on Castle! LOL. They share guest casts so much that I am always suspicious . Although I think only one time has the guest actor been the murderer on both shows.
The sandwich thing was great. As was the confrontation with the old lady.
And that vineyard was stunning. I just kinda want to go back and watch just those scenes just to look at it. It's apparently in Malibu, I did ask but other than Malibu no one could really remember what its name was.
I do love me some Summer but you're right, the kiss seemed to be lacking heat. It may be because of how Tim plays Cho so restrained that it seemed out of character? Hmm, don't know.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 28-Mar-12, 7:27 PM | Message # 80
Fair Dinkum

Quote (justlook3)
And that vineyard was stunning. It's apparently in Malibu, I did ask but other than Malibu no one could really remember what its name was.

Yes beautiful, and I think David Appelbaum said the other day that it was his favourite of the locations he's been to. According to location info I posted at the time of filming, it was in the hills above Malibu, off Mulholland Drive http://img.ly/btCh

bee Date: Monday, 09-Apr-12, 11:39 AM | Message # 81
Fair Dinkum

His thoughts were Red Thoughts

I always look forward to episodes that involve Brett Stiles not only because I think Malcolm McDowell is a great English actor but because I believe there is a definite link between him and RJ. He always seems to be aware of what is going on around Jane (as does RJ). For example, he previously knew the whereabouts of Kristina Frye when no-one else did, he knew about Rosalind Harker being under police protection and also about Jane manipulating RJ to kill the St Joachim killer! His remark to Jane when he said "I wouldn't want you to mistake me for RJ and shoot me" was also very suspicious. We are led to believe that no-one knows the truth about Timothy Carter (with the exception of Lisbon and possibly Darcy) so he obviously knows that Timothy Carter wasn't RJ. Could Brett Stiles actually be RJ with his brainwashed disciples doing the killings!!

He also knew about Grace's domestic problems at home. How? Knowing that she is the most vulnerable and gullible I think he is slowly trying to brainwash her. Why otherwise would she want to KISS him?? Doesn't make sense.

There were some classic Jane one-liners which I loved, ie when Stiles said he had to leave Jane said "Yes, your flock won't fleece themselves!" and also when Jane called him the "Brainwasher in Chief". He really doesn't care what he says and that's what I love about Jane.

Finally, getting Stiles to owe him a favour was very clever on Jane's part because I've no doubt that Jane will need to call in that favour very soon!! Absolutely loved this episode and can't wait to see Brett Stiles batting heads with Jane again. They make great adversaries!

Message edited by bee - Monday, 09-Apr-12, 7:28 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 09-Apr-12, 5:19 PM | Message # 82
Bee's Knees

This episode aired here aseveral weeks ago and I also enjoy seeing Malcolm return to taunt Jane. That man brings malice and sarcasm to a whole new level and Jane is quite the one to parry with him, remember he can be a cuel man. Baker has said that often playing such a rude selfish person leads him to blush as he would never be comfortable using the Jane tactics. I wonder when Patrick will need to call in that favor and if R.J. will be the one to require such. With Brett Stiles in the frame, there can be nothing but mischief. To all of you accross the pond, there will be a few zingers coming up until the last two who are scorchers.

Fran Date: Monday, 09-Apr-12, 7:59 PM | Message # 83
Fair Dinkum

I always enjoy Bret Stiles/Patrick scenes as well, I think they have a fascinating relationship and I always find their scenes together riveting. Certainly Bret Stiles is a very intriguing character, not least because I'm not sure if he's actually evil or just bad. I'm still keeping an open mind about him being the power behind the RJ killings.

I liked the way Stiles tried, without success, to get under Jane and Lisbon's skin, but managed to get to the vulnerable Grace. I found their scenes particularly creepy, and I assumed that the kiss at the end was to show that they felt some affection for eachother, which made me think there was unfinished business here which we may see play out in future. And yes, now that Stiles owes Jane a favour, there's strong reason to believe that we haven't seen the last of Stiles yet. I also loved Patrick's "your flock won't fleece itself" comment - my favourite line; I also enjoyed Cho's "apparently you major in yourself" - another classic Cho deadpan delivery; and another moment that made me laugh was when Patrick patted Cooper's head.

So I thought this was a good episode, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some of Jordan Harper's other episodes. For example I thought 'Redline' had great humour and 'Blood Money' had both great humour and drama. I also found both those episodes unpredictable and they had a feeling of originality. For me, 'His Thoughts were Red Thoughts' was a little lacking in humour, drama and originality, and somehow it felt less compelling than I had hoped it would be.

angel Date: Thursday, 12-Apr-12, 10:54 PM | Message # 84
Cobber

If anyone can come close to the acting genius of simon it is malcolm as stiles. Now this was definately his best stiles episode. So creepy yet he is so growing on me that i can understand gow grace seems to be falling for the charms but not far enought yet.

I too agree he knows too much about what is going on he must have some sort of link to rj if not he is him which i am really leaning to.

The scenes with grace were really creepy and well played by both. But especialy in jail god he reminded me of hanibal lechter. The cold stare then the calm attentive caring stiles. The switch between the two was amazing to watch. But i absolutely loved his scene when they comfronted the commitee and his calm then abrupt confrontation with his so called replacement played by wonderful robert picardo. The man was shaking in his shoes with fright. Wonderful. Malcolm at his best.

Just loved this episode a lot. Another classic to me.

bee Date: Saturday, 14-Apr-12, 2:31 PM | Message # 85
Fair Dinkum

Cheap Burgundy

Absolutely loved this episode although when Darcy suggested she wanted Jane alone to help her I was a little disappointed because I don't like Jane and Lisbon to be split up as I like their banter together. However having said that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Firstly, how many times has Jane been punched on the nose?? He knew he was the murderer and in order for Gary Philo to be apprehended he goaded him into punching him! Classic Jane! I love the way Lisbon, arms outstretched, always comes between Jane and whoever he happens to annoy.

The scene where Rigsby tries to hypnotise Philo was hilarious. He was obviously trying to copy Jane and when Lisbon told the team she was helping Jane and they were to "go it alone" I thought they seemed a little concerned.

I thought it strange at first that Darcy didn't mention RJ but Jane soon realised that she wanted to observe him. The scene in Poppy's Cafe between Jane and Darcy when he was "mentalising" her was a little odd I thought. Was she just "playing" him in order for him to tell her about RJ and admit that he was still alive or did Jane really guess about her past?

I believe Lisbon was really pleased when Jane said he wasn't getting along with Darcy (her smile said it all) and when Jane said to Lisbon that he had missed her and she said she had missed him my heart skipped a beat. (If these two don't get together by the end of the series I shall be SO disappointed). After having told Jane on numerous occasions to tell the truth to Darcy about RJ and after much questioning from Lisbon as to why he and Darcy had not got on, when he finally admitted he had told the truth to Darcy, Lisbon seemed genuinely concerned for him although Jane didn't seem overly worried!

By the way I loved the moment when James Barca hugged Jane and wouldn't let him go. Hilarious.

I am disliking Luther Wainwright intensely. Although he knows how Jane operates he is so disloyal to him, he is after all a member of his team. His inexperience shows and in order to save himself he is willing to help Darcy. I am secretly hoping that when Bruno says in the finale that Jane will "shoot one of his own" it will be Wainwright! I couldn't see Minelli or Hightower being so disloyal. It just goes to show the strong bond that Lisbon has with Jane because she would NEVER be disloyal to Jane and has stood by him through thick and thin!

Loved the way Jane solved both cases especially when he mis-quoted Shakespeare and caught out Gary Philo. When Jane said to Lisbon "You don't know whether to hug me or hit me" I just wish she would have given him a little hug!!

Can't wait for the RJ storyline to continue.......

Message edited by bee - Sunday, 15-Apr-12, 11:41 AM

angel Date: Monday, 16-Apr-12, 10:04 PM | Message # 86
Cobber

I absolutely loved this episode. I was starting to like Darcy but by the end of this episode i absolutley disliked her totaly. The way she was playing him at the cafe, i think maybe her past was true and the death of her sister has caused her to be driven but jane knew all along that he was there only because she wanted to find out about rj and not to help with the case.

Kudos to rigsby in this, yes the top scene has to be when he was trying to hypnotise Gary was pure magic and his reaction when he was caught out. This episode grace and cho was a bit thin but i too loved it when lisbon said jane needed her and they were on their own.

The usual punch in the nose for jane again, my god how many more times can he support those punches. But when Gary called lisbon a bitch god i wanted her so much to deck him one. God the man was so awful away from the public. What a true low life. loved lisbon storming out in a rage angry

The phone calls between jane and lisbon were lovely. The end catch was brilliant when he caught Gary out and back to lock up he goes. To the other murder how inept was the inlaws. But lovely when they were caught in the act by the now team again of jane/lisbon and just before lisbon trying to find out what was going on with darcy.

But the very best scene was james hugging jane. Now who sat there saying aaaaawwww how sweet heart Just wondferful.

Wainwright is giving up jane too easy so am really starting to dislike him. Is he doing it to save himself or is he a rj deciple? But i do think he will be the one who gets shot in finale.

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 17-Apr-12, 0:02 AM | Message # 87
Bee's Knees

I too was starting to like Darcy, especially since Jane seemed to worry about her, but he also knew she was out to get him to reveal the truth, which he did but also at the same time repudiated her so well when he accused her of being a very poor actress, not even able to seduce him properly or even manipulating him, so much so that she left and he had to call Lisbon to come help him (also he was stranded away from the bureau). Now that it is in the open about R.J., sparks will fly, and I too believe Wainright will be the one to be gunned down. I never really liked him anyway, hope they bring back Hightower.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 18-Apr-12, 1:40 PM | Message # 88
Fair Dinkum

I thought this episode was very well written, no surprise there being Bruno. I thought his direction was also good, not particularly innovative but solid with some lovely visuals.

I loved the Jane/Lisbon scenes which I felt illustrated their increasing closeness. The 1st one after Jane's re-assignment had some nice lines "which truth are we talking about?" and "there's my back" after Lisbon said "glad to see the back of you". Also the cute scene in the car followed by the more serious conversation in the car, and the final "you don't know whether to hug me or hit me" - a hug would have been nice, but the hit was more in character and funny with it.

I thought the Jane/Darcy scenes were all good (really like the actress). I particularly liked the scene in the cafe, for me it was the best scene of the episode, and it seemed to me that Darcy suddenly realised she had been underestimating him. Jane's comment about her "stilted seduction technique" must have been a bit of a blow to her, and she did look and sound as though she was feeling hurt when she told him "deep down inside you're a cruel man aren't you?", and she looked rather shaken when we saw her walking away outside. Personally, I don't think Jane is essentially a cruel person, he often shows great compassion, but he does certainly have a ruthless streak which makes him appear cruel at times. I found the scene in the rangers station chilling, but I found it difficult to tell how worried Jane was by Darcy's conclusions. He seemed a bit concerned at the time, but then made light of it with Lisbon, but was that just to try and stop her from worrying about him.

I thought Wainwright's smile in response to Darcy's comment about Jane being a sociopath was interesting, it was like 'yeah we all know that', but I don't believe Wainwright thinks Jane is working for Red John. I thought he looked shocked at that point, and perhaps also a little sad. Although he said he'd co-operate with the FBI, I think he'd have to say that, but he didn't necessarily mean it.

Agree with others about the James Barca hug - adorable and very funny.

bee Date: Saturday, 21-Apr-12, 5:28 PM | Message # 89
Fair Dinkum

Ruddy Cheeks

This episode was both funny and sad at the same time. There were some hilarious moments.....loved the "tiger" joke at the beginning and the way Jane ran from Lisbon! Also the scene where Lisbon receives the phone call and they both discover they have made a "terrible mistake" and Braddock's body had disappeared. Jane calmly making tea for himself and setting fire to the tea bags was also very funny, especially when Lisbon said "I'm not going to like this am I"? Love the way she just lets him get on with it! These two have great on-screen chemistry and if ever RJ is caught they could always have a spin-off series (like Moonlighting or Hart to Hart) they make such a great team!! (Yes I know in my dreams)!!

The scene where Jane is talking to Braddock's daughter in the kitchen I thought was ironic. When he asked her if she knew who had killed her father and she answered that "if she did, he wouldn't be breathing" Jane told her "that's a dangerous path to go down".

The scene in the morgue with Lisbon and Jane hiding I thought was reminiscent of the scene in Season 3, Episode 6 where they are hiding and Lisbon's legs are asleep! Jane also looked cute in that black coat.... WOW

I hope Cho is now finished with the pill popping. He's a loyal member of the team and I think he felt guilty at putting Rigsby's life on the line and letting him down. The scene with him in Lisbon's office was heartbraking. Also the scene at the end when the brother and sister were talking and she turned to thank Jane but he had gone.

However I guessed it was the Nurse at the Scheck Institute from the start....didn't know why but she was just too helpful! Altogether another great episode.

Message edited by bee - Saturday, 21-Apr-12, 5:29 PM

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 21-Apr-12, 7:52 PM | Message # 90
Bee's Knees

The nurse who was the murderer was in a series of very annoying commercials for DYI store "Lowe's" here in the States, so I was actually giddy she was the murderer! LOL.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz