Thursday, 25-Apr-24, 3:07 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace
June Date: Friday, 24-Feb-12, 2:53 PM | Message # 31
Bee's Knees

I think there are no shippers in this forum, thank god. So, don't worry about those comments, they don't know what The Mentalist is about. Forget it.
We love the episode and Erica, that's the important thing.

Message edited by June - Friday, 24-Feb-12, 6:40 PM

justlook3 Date: Friday, 24-Feb-12, 6:43 PM | Message # 32
Bee's Knees

Well I saw someone who is about the biggest anti-shipper (and very nasty about it too) going off on the episode as well. And I'd really hate anyone here to be nasty about being a shipper or not. I'm shipper friendly myself meaning I go either way depending on the episode. But I like that our forum is civil and friendly and mature. Okay? smile
Sides, time to move on to the awesomeness that was this week!

justlook3 Date: Friday, 24-Feb-12, 6:52 PM | Message # 33
Bee's Knees

(Won't Double Post Again but I want to separate my thoughts)
Episode 4x16 His Thoughts Were Red Thoughts [Aka in which I overuse the word awesome]
Malcolm McDowell never disappoints. And this might be Jordan Harper's finest script too.
I could wax on for paragraphs on just how damn amazing Malcolm McDowell is. Chemistry? Well there's someone who can have chemistry with a frigging lampshade.
"I wouldn't want you to mistake me for Red John and shoot me." I actually said ouch out loud. Best. Zinger. Ever.
That whole, "I tried to frame myself" scene with Patrick ending with "I do love a party". God, so so good.
And Grace, Grace, Grace. My goodness, what are we going to do with that girl? Although the promo had me a bit more worried.
Can I go on more about how awesome a character Bret Stiles is? All seeing, all knowing. Is he evil? Even members of his cult think he may have killed those people. But did he? Is he Red John? Is he even a bad guy at all? The fact that you can't tell is what makes him awesome. Because you can't. Maybe he is, certainly the cult is creepy. He looks bad. But is he evil or just a really cunning businessman who found his niche in telling people what they want to hear?
Oh, I kinda figured Robert Picardo (Cooper) was going to be the killer just because of the Jordan Harper/Trekkie connection, but it's likely that the script was written before casting.
Oh I probably have more later, but I really was thrilled about this hour of tv.

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 24-Feb-12, 7:16 PM | Message # 34
Bee's Knees

Brett Stiles is such a complex character and the writers are using his immense talent quite well. There will be more, but as for the prediction that he is Red John, we'll just have to see, I know McDowell well and he has said how much he would love to be Red John, since his days of Clockwork Orange and so many wierd roles, he prefers being the cunning and slightly mad chap. I was really taken by Amanda's performance, from the always angry "I've been Wronged" persona to one that could resist Stiles ' charm , she is getting to know herself better and that will enlarge her role and I loved that she compared Stiles to Jane but said Jane was better. Kudos... Baker of course always at the top of his game although he did look tired. I'm wondering if he'll be at the Oscars on Sunday since Margin Call has been nominated and quite rightly I think.

June Date: Saturday, 25-Feb-12, 0:52 AM | Message # 35
Bee's Knees

I'm not an anti-shipper person. I don't have any problem with that, actually. So, I'm sorry if my words annoyed you. I'm not nasty, believe me.

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 25-Feb-12, 1:27 AM | Message # 36
Bee's Knees

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound offended. I wasn't really, it was more of a teasing hey now, none of that sorta thing. smile Anyway, I do agree that some people just get carried away. And all that does matter is how you feel yourself about an episode. cool Besides, it's time anyway to shake our heads over the silliness and move on to the next episode.

Fran Date: Saturday, 25-Feb-12, 1:46 AM | Message # 37
Fair Dinkum

I think there are 2 types of shipper i) people who love the show and would like to see Patrick & Lisbon together and ii) people who are a bit obsessed with the idea that Jane and Lisbon should be together.

I'm not anti-shipper, but I am anti the extreme behaviour and disrespectful comments that I sometimes see from shipper obsessives. And I'm very glad that people like that don't participate here, because it would mean a lot of extra work for me to have to moderate the Forum. There have been no nasty comments here, and my thanks to everyone who contributes, for keeping to the spirit of the site.
ok

Fran Date: Tuesday, 28-Feb-12, 4:29 PM | Message # 38
Fair Dinkum

4.16 His Thoughts Were Red Thoughts
Jordan said he thought this was probably his best episode, but personally I still prefer 'Redline' and 'Blood Money' both of which I felt had more originality. But that's not to knock this episode in any way, because I thought it was great and had a really creepy feel that's a bit different to The Mentalist norm.

I think Bret Stiles is a very intriguing character, and like justlook3 I can't decide how much of a bad guy he really is. One thing's for certain though, he and Jane have a fascinating relationship and their scenes together are always riveting. I liked the way Stiles tried, without success, to get under Jane and Lisbon's skin, but managed to get to the vulnerable Grace. I found their scenes particularly creepy, and they seemed to feel some affection for eachother by the end of it, so I got the impression there was unfinished business there which we may see play out in future. Also now Stiles owes Jane a favour, so perhaps another reason to believe that we haven't seen the last of Stiles yet.

Some little moments I particularly enjoyed - Patrick's "your flock won't fleece itself", great line; Cho's "apparently you major in yourself", another classic Cho deadpan delivery; Patrick patting Cooper's head, made me laugh.

ps I'm not bothered at all about people double-posting, I've never understood why some forums have a problem with that.

Geli Date: Friday, 09-Mar-12, 11:56 PM | Message # 39
Surfie

4.17 Cheap Burgundy
I really enjoyed watching this episode. Quick thinking on Jane's part to get his suspect to hit him so he could be held. Darcy using another case as pretense to work with Jane and he seeing right through her. Interesting her saying she thinks deep down he's cruel, yet there were many instances in this episode where it looked like he showed real compassion. A shot of Katie's hand when they first got to the crime scene showed that she wasn't wearing a ring.

Jane was waiting quite a while for Lisbon to come pick him up, by that time he lay down on the bench outside the Ranger Station, and then it seems it took him several hours longer to finally spit out what happened with Darcy. Lisbon seems to take this more seriously than him.

That the rest of the team wasn't making much headway with Gary's interrogation, and then Jane trapping him by getting him to correct a Shakespeare quote shows how gifted Jane really is with reading people and getting them to do certain things. Like when he got Darcy to totally get off the RJ topic and walk out in disgust.

That Darcy thinks PJ works hand in hand with RJ is dangerous for her since RJ, if he is indeed still alive, would prefer PJ out of jail so he can keep chasing him. I could see her getting hurt or killed to stop her from taking this too far. I interpreted Wrainwright's smile and saying 'oh' when Darcy told him she thought Jane 'is a cunning manipulative sociopath' to mean this had crossed his mind as well but he doesn't think so anymore. He seemed sad when he said 'I see'.

To me it seems that Darcy is quite determined to prove her view, she looked angry, almost like she hates RJ, and now Patrick. Maybe there is some RJ connection hidden in her past that we haven't learned yet, it couldn't just her being upset by the fact it was easy for PJ to find out someting painful about her past during his 'reading'. Can't wait to see how this storyline continues!

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 10-Mar-12, 0:28 AM | Message # 40
Bee's Knees

I interpreted Wainwright's smile in much the same fashion. Like, yeah, tell me something I don't know. I can't quite get a handle on him. I think he's afraid for his job and the CBI and intimidated by Darcy and the FBI. That's my feeling, I'd hate for him to be a mole. (I miss LaRoche, I think he would have handled Darcy quite differently.)
I honestly loved almost all of this episode. I really didn't like the secondary mystery. I didn't like how they made Lisbon's team seem bumbling and ineffective without Jane. I get these sorts of crime dramas are all written that way (example being Castle where without him no one can solve a murder) but still they are worthy people on their own and should have been treated that way. I get they needed something to do.
The scene in the ranger's station where Darcy confronted Jane was chilling. I think we've called on here already that she was going to start suspecting Jane of working with Red John. If I was Darcy, I'd think the same. From an outsider's standpoint, it does look suspicious. And Darcy has a point, why hasn't RJ killed Jane. Why hasn't he gone after Lisbon and the team? Lisbon means something to Jane, even if it's not romantic in nature. I've assumed that RJ is playing his game with all of them and that's why. But from Darcy's viewpoint, suspicious. And I fear is only going to lead to her death.
It's too bad, because really she's not a bad person, she's drawn a dangerous conclusion but she's only doing her job.
I enjoyed the Jane/Lisbon interaction too. She is worried about him and quite rightly so. And neither liked working a case without the other.

Fran Date: Saturday, 17-Mar-12, 10:33 PM | Message # 41
Fair Dinkum

As I expected from Bruno, I felt this episode was very well written. I thought his direction was good, and there were some lovely visuals, but to me it didn't feel special or innovative in any way. So for me, a very good episode but not a stand-out one.

There were some nice Jane/Lisbon scenes illustrating their increasing closeness. The 1st one after Jane's re-assignment had some nice lines "which truth are we talking about?" and "there's my back" after Lisbon said "glad to see the back of you". Also the cute scene in the car followed by the more serious conversation in the car, and the final "you don't know whether to hug me or hit me".

I thought the Jane/Darcy scenes were all good (really like the actress). I particularly liked the scene in the cafe, where it seemed to me that Darcy suddenly realised she had been underestimating him. Jane's comment about her "stilted seduction technique" must have been a bit of a blow to her, and she did look and sound as though she was feeling hurt when she told him "deep down inside you're a cruel man aren't you?", and looked rather shaken when we saw here walking away outside. I also found the scene in the rangers station chilling, but I found it difficult to tell how worried Jane was by Darcy's conclusions. He seemed a bit concerned at the time, but then made light of it with Lisbon, but was that just to try and stop her from worrying about him.

I interpreted Wainwright's smile in exactly the same way as Justlook3. I think Wainwright still thinks that, but I don't believe he thinks Jane is working for Red John. I thought he looked shocked at that point, and I agree Geli, also a little sad. Although he said he'd co-operate with the FBI, I think he'd have to say that, but he didn't necessarily mean it.

I must finally just mention the hug - very funny and a memorable classic!

Fran Date: Thursday, 22-Mar-12, 5:42 PM | Message # 42
Fair Dinkum

4.18 Ruddy Cheeks
As nobody has posted any comments on this episode, I'm guessing that it didn't make much of an impression on people. But I enjoyed it, and I didn't guess the killer. Also there were some lovely close-ups where I thought Simon looked really well.

I loved the start with the tigers, the way Jane said 'Hello Kitty Kat' and running faster than Lisbon. Other scenes I particularly enjoyed were the one with the daughter in the kitchen, we really saw Patrick making a connection with her. And when Jane smoked out the widow, especially when he twirled the lighter like a gun (I love little details like that), and the final part of that scene after Jane says 'Its a miracle'.

The Cho/Summer backstory gave us some interesting developments - I'm not sure if Cho was right not to confide in Lisbon, but I think he probably was as she's his boss, and he seemed determined to kick his habit. Whether or not this includes kicking the Summer habit remains to be seen.

And finally, Rigsby seems to be coming to terms with being a father and perhaps a little unexpectedly, his situation seems to be bringing him and Grace closer again.

Geli Date: Tuesday, 03-Apr-12, 8:29 AM | Message # 43
Surfie

I enjoyed this episode, too. The actors portraying the brother and sister did a good job! Actually I found the story moving, given that the son recorded his dad's last words of love and didn't even listen to him, maybe if he had his dad would still be alive. Good example that he wants to go into rehab at the end of the show.
I think at this stage Rigsby and Van Pelt are just friends. He's very focused on becoming a dad. His growing through unexpectedly becoming a father serves also as encouragement for other men who find themselves in such a situation.
I found Jane treated Lisbon very well throughout the whole episode, he was polite and respectful!

Geli Date: Saturday, 07-Apr-12, 6:41 AM | Message # 44
Surfie

4.19 Pink Champagne on Ice
I liked Andrew Rothenberg's portrayal of Jack Hellion. Jane sure figured out what was bugging him. I did not figure out who the culprit and murderer was until it was revealed. To get to the safe one has to go through two doors: the one with the bars, then the one with the window. When the head of security left after checking on the safe, it sounded like he locked the door with the bars with the key, so how did Skiddy get in with the box after him since he had dropped the key back in his pocket? Also, Jane must have put the money back on the shelf after he sent Skiddy away and moved an empty box, then Lisbon got in before they put it in the van. I don't know if in real life agents would use this phrase: "Tell us why you did it and we'll ask the DA to take the death sentence off the table". Jack to Patrick in the end "I owe you big time!", same as Stiles. Maybe we'll see Jack again during the course of the show because Patrick needs help with something...

justlook3 Date: Monday, 09-Apr-12, 8:07 PM | Message # 45
Bee's Knees

4.20 Something's Rotten in Redmond
Bruno's assistant Rebecca really did a great job in her writing debut. She's learned from some of the best. Yes, it was a filler, but it moved some story forward and gave us a happy story in what I'm fearing is going to be an angst filled ride to the season finale. We had Van Pelt almost being pre-Craig Van Pelt as she helped a teenaged prostitute who'd been the pet project of the murder victim (an idealistic teacher). It was nice to see compassion instead of anger on her face. Speaking of hookers, Summer was listed on the press release but did not appear (and the summary given the episode mentions Cho & Summer, so was their story cut from the episode?). We also have Patrick Jane fencing, reciting Shakespeare (was Simon doing his Alec Guinness voice again?) and vandalizing property. The principal's office scene was hilarious. Rigsby's baby came answering the question that yes, everyone knew about the baby, they just hadn't addressed it. (My guess is that Rigsby was too embarrassed to spell out to Lisbon that he was going to a childbirth class). And then there was the bittersweet ending. The happiness over little Benjamin and then Simon Baker just knocked one out of the ballpark with his walking away. Happy smile for Rigsby fading to pain and sorrow as Jane remembered his own child. I'm assuming that Jillian Bach wasn't in the episode physically because she's either close to or has had her baby, so hoping that all went well in real life too.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz