Saturday, 04-May-24, 10:32 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace
Nixenkind Date: Monday, 30-Apr-12, 10:38 AM | Message # 61
Jillaroo

Hey, Tina, nice to meet you! I'm from Germany, too :D!

Fran Date: Monday, 30-Apr-12, 1:47 PM | Message # 62
Fair Dinkum

Quote (smileyjunior)
btw I will find a place on this site to ask questions about Lisbon's character and digging into what we know... I haven't found the place yet though...
If you wish to do that I suggest you start a Lisbon thread in The Mentalist forum. I'm happy for you to do that, but I have seen some unacceptable behaviour from a few Lisbon fans, so I just want to be clear about the fact that it won't be tolerated here. respect

June Date: Monday, 30-Apr-12, 3:47 PM | Message # 63
Bee's Knees

I liked this episode, the story, the Glenn/Glenda character (great acting), Archie singing "over the rainbow", but I've realised that the last episodes, from "Ruddy Cheeks" to this one and I think the next one too are really light and nice, as if nothing happens. They are very focused in the closeness between Jane and Lisbon, the last shot in the cabaret is very revealing on this matter. My guess is they are playing with us and the writers are doing a very good job. They're going to freeze our smile, this is the calm before the storm.

Tina Date: Monday, 30-Apr-12, 5:19 PM | Message # 64
Fair Dinkum

Hi Nixenkind, nice to meet you too! Too bad Sat 1 has already stopped airing the new episodes!

Well, I don't expect too much from episode 22, too. I CAN'T wait to see the last 2 episodes. But then ...4 months without new episodes. This is so hard for me! I'm really addicted to this show.
I hope there is not such a big cliffhanger at the end ...

Tina

Fran Date: Tuesday, 01-May-12, 6:01 PM | Message # 65
Fair Dinkum

I’d expected ‘Ruby Slippers’ to be a light-hearted fun episode and I was completely wrong about that. Perhaps that says something about me and my perceptions, or perhaps it was because that’s the way Drag Queens on TV are usually portrayed.

Daniel Cerone often seems to be the writer chosen for episodes which are 'outside the box’. And I thought this episode was a little different to the norm, being rather subdued, with very little humour. But I felt it was well written and performed, and dealt with the serious issues of abusive relationships and of someone being bullied for being different, with great sensitivity.

I found it very moving, particularly the scene where we saw the video of Archie with his father, the one where Jane confronts the 3 bullies and the final scenes. The thing I liked most about the episode was that we saw the humanity underneath the bravado, of both Jane and Lisbon, and actually of the whole team.

I thought Summer seemed very childlike in this episode, maybe that’s nothing new, but I don’t think I’d really picked up on that before.

justlook3 Date: Friday, 04-May-12, 6:14 AM | Message # 66
Bee's Knees

4x22 So Long and Thanks for All the Red Snapper

Bittersweet I think is the term for this episode. Ashley Gable's swan song and full of could have beens, regrets and goodbyes. Not to mention the last "happy" episode of the season. The episode was pitched as Lisbon's evaluating her life but to be honest, it wasn't coming across to me. I mean maybe it was subtle. There was a bit of wistfulness on Lisbon's part when she finds out Greg has three children plus we've got happy Rigsby completely embracing fatherhood. Now wasn't that a 360?
But then it wasn't all happy in Greg's marriage. I kinda figured the wife was cheating when Greg made those comments about the murder victim's treatment of women. Think Jane did too. The fact that he didn't say anything right then threw me. Was he (gasp) holding back for Lisbon's sake?
Then there was Summer and Cho. SIGH. I guess we should have realized she was crazy and probably just not right for Cho. But she made him laugh. And made me laugh. And was light where the show's been so damn dark. She had to go, but I will miss her.
And my shipper soft spot cleared its throat when Jane made those comments about the kind of man for Lisbon [I have one, I try to get it to shut up but what can I say? I'm a romantic! I'll be oohing over Lorelai too I'm sure]. But anyway. wink To be honest, Greg wasn't exactly personality plus, so you can kind of see why Lisbon left him.
And then any other thoughts I might have were blown away by the creepy, creepy CBS promo. Would love to see CTV's version of the promo to see if how they spin it.

smileyjunior Date: Friday, 04-May-12, 5:21 PM | Message # 67
Blow-In

Well, I'm going to veer away from the symbolism of Ms. Gable in this episode, and I'm going to go over to the content of the episode, b/c justlook3 summed up that first part up just magnificently happy

Now, I love me some Lisbon centric-episodes... and I was truly excited for this one! I was a tad bit dissapointed we didn't learn more about Lisbon's past, and also that we didn't see as much Jane/Lisbon scenes... however that opening scene was worth it! As always, the rest of the content in this episode was very, very good. I'm sorry, but Summer had to go... she was just causing way too much. I miss the Cho we saw the past three seasons would would make me laugh without ever breaking his straight face. Now he's still serious... without the funnies. Oh and Rigsby and Van Pelt? The vomit scene biggrin

Oh and I agree the promo really scared me... I couldn't fall asleep last night unsure

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 04-May-12, 7:02 PM | Message # 68
Bee's Knees

I thought the episode was a bit flat, Ashley's episode in the first season with the surfer teen being the victim was light but more intricate. This treasure hunt murder was scant and boring, not enough about Lisbon's ex. (he did seem to be a little one-dimensional) no wonder his wife cheated on her. We did see the funny side of Jane on the beach with the sand crabs. They really are fun to watch and also the fact that they are constantly foraging for food which led him to find the body, cool. Rigsby is a bit calmer now, and happy, good for him. VP also becoming a more mature and stalwart person, but the whole weight of the episode fell on the Summer-Cho relationship which we knew was going to end. Bot are much too volatile. It was sweet that he calmed down and helped her out in the end.

Thrill Date: Saturday, 05-May-12, 4:37 AM | Message # 69
Dinkie-Di

4x22 so long and thanks ...
I really enjoyed this ep ESP seeing more about Lisbon. I can see where Greg fitted in he was the steady person she sought after growing up in such a dies functional way. Then I expect when he had settled her she realized that she actually wanted more excitement in her life hence becoming a cop. From his point of view he is a good steady guy and saw the damage in Teresa and the underlying drive and excitement which he didn't have. No wonder it took him so long to get over her.
Is it coincidental that Greg out of all the guest actors in nearly 100 episodes looks the most like PJ. So physically Lisbons ex looks similar to PJ ( or am I reading too much into it here) . I was interested that PJ probed her about the relationship but not too much. Perhaps he didn't need to because he quickly sized it all up or because he doesn't want to upset/ hurt her????
I thought it was interesting how yet again Lisbon really doesn't get the whole kids thing. Her reaction to Rigsby and the spit up and his obvious happiness (it's the best thing which ever happened to me) she didn't get it at all. I wonder how much of this is Robin. She doesn't have kids and now probably won't........ Yet PJ always talks to the kids and holds the babies and pets the animals in a very genuine way(that's why we love him!!)

Just one more thing about physical appearances PJ and Loreil ( forgotten the spelling) he has gone for another woman (after Erica) who has dark hair and olive skin - after his wife and child were blond. Is this coincidence? Is the resemblance to Becca uncanny or is it the producers ensuring that there is ethnic balance in the show ????? Or am I reading way too much into it??

BTW final thought are Rigsby and Sarah living together. It appears she is back at work but I don't think that has been mentioned. Just he looked after Ben when he was sick.. I would love to see Sarah and Ben maybe in S5?????

Finally finally I was hoping that PJ would say " can I have a go on that surf board". He knew it was a custom board which did seem slightly out of character as PJ has never shown any interest in surfing before. ( ok I'll be honest I just want him to get his shirt off... BTW was this ep filmed when the pics of him and Lief surfing in Malibu turned up that was mid March

Really looking forward to 23 & 24 now..... tongue tongue

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 05-May-12, 4:50 AM | Message # 70
Bee's Knees

That's funny because when they first announced the character, I'd made a joke on twitter that they should cast Rebecca Rigg. They could hand wave that she played a murderer in season 1! Then you're right, they cast a girl who very much has that look (though sadly over a decade younger). And geez you wouldn't know that Becca was older than Simon and had 3 kids from looking at her. Good genes me thinks.
Ashley Gable responded to me on twitter and she felt that Jane didn't know about the affair until Greg got off the boat. So I feel like I'm smarter than Jane now. wink [I still think he knew something wasn't right]

Fran Date: Saturday, 05-May-12, 2:48 PM | Message # 71
Fair Dinkum

There was nothing in this episode that made it a stand-out one for me, and very few moments which I wanted to re-wind and watch again. At the start when they were talking to the people on the beach, I had a slight feeling of déjà vu as it briefly felt a bit like a replay of Red Tide.

The highlights for me were Jane’s delight at the crabs – Simon adds so much to the script in moments like that; when Lisbon met Greg for the first time - I loved Jane’s amusement at the awkwardness; the scene in the bar when Jane was being told the story about the ship’s treasure; and the Lisbon/Jane ‘intense and particular’ banter.

I was also amused by Rigsby who was so proud of the baby spit, and seemed to be wearing the stain like an emblem.

I thought the Cho/Summer situation played out OK, but my lasting impression was that underneath his usual self-control, Cho is still a thug at heart.

I didn’t particularly feel that I understood Lisbon any better, or that she was re-evaluating her life choices. Her feelings seemed to be mainly embarrassment to start with, a lingering sentimental affection for Greg, and then from her smile when they parted, it seemed clear that she didn’t regret the choices she’d made.

For me, the episode felt a little bit like the lull before the storm, but all in all, I enjoyed it as much as I can enjoy a non Patrick-centric episode.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Sunday, 06-May-12, 9:22 PM | Message # 72
True Blue

Who is/was Keith O´Brian? He is mentioned in the closing credits "in loving memory..." and I am alittle worried if I should know who he was...

Geli Date: Sunday, 06-May-12, 11:00 PM | Message # 73
Surfie

See Mentalist Tweets in Forum: On May 4th Ashley tweeted: Reply to 'Who is Keith O'Brien?' - "Keith was a Teamster (driver) on the show. A man with a beautiful voice & an even better smile, he died of cancer during 422 prep." "we thought an episode about sad goodbyes would be the perfect one to dedicate to Keith. He will be missed. Lovely man."

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 07-May-12, 6:25 PM | Message # 74
True Blue

thanks, Geli!

Geli Date: Friday, 11-May-12, 8:50 AM | Message # 75
Surfie

4.23 Red Rover, Red Rover
This was also directed by John F. Showalter, it felt a little bit like 'Always Bet on Red', where Jane seems to be 'off', so I looked it up. The contemporary context mentioned here: former fluorescent lightbulb factory with mercury dust all over the place. This was kind of a heavy show, the scene in the restaurant disturbing, the waitress saying 'again', implying that maybe Jane had been there for previous anniversaries? Cho's "Always" classic one-liner!
In a few scenes towards the end the perspective from above may try to imply that someone was watching from up there. Jane definitely provoked Wainwright into firing him by insulting him on purpose, his smile after said as much, Wainwright even threatened to kill Jane. Lisbon's concern for Jane is genuine. I don't think he'll be there in the evening when she wants to come by to talk about it.
I watched this episode on CTV, promo at the end is different than the CBS one. It mentioned what
Maybe I misunderstood, once 4.23 is posted on CTV I'll see if the promo for 4.24 is at the end, if that's what was said. Yikes ... ?!

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz