Thursday, 02-May-24, 8:39 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace
justlook3 Date: Friday, 11-May-12, 6:02 PM | Message # 76
Bee's Knees

That episode showed us Dark Side Jane and it was glorious! I really enjoyed it. That being said, one can't take leaks, spoilers or even press releases seriously. The press release mentions Darcy, she's not there. The infamous slap didn't happen. The press release even said it was the 8th anniversary when Lisbon said it was the Ninth. I've decided not to trust anything for next week!
The showdown with Wainwright was amazingly done. Jane got fired on purpose, that much is clear. But what is going on with him?

sylvia5993 Date: Friday, 11-May-12, 8:05 PM | Message # 77
Bee's Knees

The dinner scene (or should I say bloody Mary scene) was really disturbing. Could not get that look in his eyes and either pensive or undone totally got me thinking. I imagine that we'll find out if he is really bonkers, has given up his need for revenge, or just wants a normal life but getting Wainright riled that much is for sure one long con to bring out the truth about Wainright (a disciple of R.J. or just an idiot) but when he tells him at the beginning to leave Ashley alone or he will hurt him was deeply felt and meant. Someone is bound to be in bad strait next week and it could be Jane.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Friday, 11-May-12, 8:38 PM | Message # 78
True Blue

wow!
I´m glad this turned out as not that bad as the spoilers and promos let us expect it to be. Great episode, though.
Sure Jane intentioally provoked Wainright to fire him. I mean - he burnt the Red-John-files! He really gives up?! Or he only wants to make think he does?
Elevator-scene at the end was cute, wasn´t it?
Lisbon:"...we´ll talk it out, okay?"
Jane:"you´re sweet"

kul65 Date: Friday, 11-May-12, 9:59 PM | Message # 79
Cobber

Great, great episode.

I think I'm one of few who are actually hoping this isn't just a trick on Jane's behalf. Instead I hope he really is hitting rock bottom, and that because such a thing would mark the turning point for where he can finally get perspective on the Red John case and pursue him properly. For a while now, Jane has been thinking Red John is invincible, and no doubt has that interfered with the investigation. What can you find if you expect to find nothing? Maybe this marks the start of progress.

June Date: Saturday, 12-May-12, 8:23 PM | Message # 80
Bee's Knees

I'm still shocked, the scene in the restaurant is the most heartbreaking I've ever seen in the show. What means that? I must think that Jane, his wife and daughter went to that restaurant, maybe their favorite one, they sat at the same table, he always drank the same thing and he has gone there every year, every anniversary for nine long years since his family was murdered, in order to increase his pain and guilt, like a ritual. Is that right?, because if it is, Jane is more devastated than I thought. He has been hiding his real grief for four seasons and now, with just one scene it reveals before our eyes. Simon, the director, the writer and the editor have made a wonderful work. The close-ups of Jane (eyes, facial expression), the way he drinks, the way he rests his right hand on the table, he way he closes his eyes like trying to stop the time and come back when he was happy, the barman putting the drinks on the table (he knows what he has to do), I'm sorry but I'm impressed.
I don't want to keep talking about Wainwright, great acting of everyone, and the ending in the elevator (Jane's back, no music, his head down). God, why I feel like that?
I'm sorry for all these boring things.

Message edited by June - Monday, 14-May-12, 4:56 PM

justlook3 Date: Saturday, 12-May-12, 9:16 PM | Message # 81
Bee's Knees

You're not boring at all! It does seem like it was a ritual. The hostess spoke to him as if he was a regular and told him his order would be right out. And the bloody mary was the only thing that came to the table. We've never seen that before, but it seems likely. We've never seen him drink like that except when he was undercover. I know they play fast and loose with geography but I don't think the restaurant was in Malibu, given that he managed to get back to the CBI to burn those files. I mean I guess it could have been a different night.

sylvia5993 Date: Saturday, 12-May-12, 11:42 PM | Message # 82
Bee's Knees

Methinks this is Jane's way of distancing himself from the CBI in order to get RJ away from his friends as he seems to have deduced that Wainright is a disciple and his staying there creates danger for all. He is now going to pursue RJ on his own, possibly locate more disciples and join up, (If you can't beat them, join them) to get closer. This is all what one calls a long con that will go into next season. Could Lorelei be a disciple of RJ, or just a port in the storm. Can't wait for next week but that will probably open up all sorts of conundrum. Thanks a lot Mr. Heller..

smileyjunior Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 2:21 AM | Message # 83
Blow-In

you are not boring! your right! it seems like something he does every year...

shock The dark side of Jane was scary... how perfectly calm he was he had buried someone underground, that was just... shock

Then the promo... my jaw dropped shock :shock: shock :shock: shock Lisbon!!! cry :'(

I HATE WAINWRIGHT!

comforting words anyone?

Message edited by smileyjunior - Sunday, 13-May-12, 2:22 AM

justlook3 Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 3:39 AM | Message # 84
Bee's Knees

It'll be okay! I think they want us to think he shoots Lisbon. I don't think they'll shoot her again in a finale, that's too done.

bluemoon_999 Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 11:27 AM | Message # 85
Blow-In

I was thinking that Jane got distracted and was losing touch - God forbid cool . But it turns out he was right almost all the time. It seems Jane acted differently since the little girl. When Lisbon said he hypnotized her, my first thought was he probably first hypnotized her to get more out of her before letting her forget what happened. And his hostility towards Wainright was right after that. He seemed genuinely disliked Wainright in this episode. It strikes me as odd since they used to like each other. Why I think the sub-plot of this episode was Jane's determined to get himself fired. He didn't have to close the case like that. The guy got a gun.

And I liked how Van Pelt stood up for what she believed. She is my favorite No. 2 this season.

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 1:34 PM | Message # 86
True Blue

can anyone please help me to understand the dialoge in that scene after Jane burnt the RJ-files?
Lisbon: "meaning what?"
Jane: ???
thx

June Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 2:23 PM | Message # 87
Bee's Knees

Hi, Beautyfulbabyboy
I've just watched the scene again and this is what I understand, I think is right.
Lisbon: meaning what?
Jane: meaning I put him back on me. I move on
Lisbon: It's a big change, Jane
Jane: the change is good, isn't it?

Message edited by June - Sunday, 13-May-12, 2:35 PM

Fran Date: Sunday, 13-May-12, 8:56 PM | Message # 88
Fair Dinkum

This was such a powerful episode and a shocking one, not just because the murder itself was brutal and upsetting.

I found the scene at the cemetery with the little girl rather unsettling, and I thought Jane was surprisingly vehement with Wainwright- I’m not sure whether or not there was more to it than just being protective of the girl.

I don’t believe that Red John’s actions here weakened Jane’s commitment to catching him at all, I don’t think the thought even crossed his mind. I believe the opposite is true, that it strengthened his resolve and made him realise that continuing in the same way wasn’t going to get the job done, and that he needed to become more pro-active. Both at the cemetery and when he was lost in thought on his couch, I think he was formulating his new game plan, which was the driving force behind much of his behaviour after that. Not the drinking session at the restaurant though, I agree with others that this seemed to be a ritual – a heartbreaking performance from Simon that was both disturbing and sad.

I found Jane’s calmness at the cemetery with Lisbon when he was showing her Marks locked in the coffin, frightening and chilling - this was a particularly ruthless way of getting a confession even by Jane’s standards. It made me wonder if doing this wasn’t just about getting himself fired, but was also a way to relieve some of his frustration about Red John, because there seemed to be parallels drawn between Marks and Red John - Jane calls Marks evil and a vicious sadist who enjoys watching other people’s pain.

Jane could have just left the CBI quietly, but there’s no doubt in my mind that he wanted to get fired, and he wasn’t prepared to wait 30 days for his position to be reviewed. He needed to get fired there and then, giving everyone the impression that he’d lost his mind. And so after taunting Wainwright, we got the brilliantly done little wipe of the corner of his mouth, followed by the smile when he got what he wanted.

A fantastic episode, but I have to say that I’m glad they’re not all like this, because I love that the show balances light and dark over the whole season.

smileyjunior Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 2:42 AM | Message # 89
Blow-In

Fran, good thought. I felt like he went over the top on purpose... Perhaps too over the top???

I can't believe they're going to leave us with a cliffhanger! Well, yes I can but WHY!!!!????

Geli Date: Monday, 14-May-12, 7:02 AM | Message # 90
Surfie

I've rewatched the scene where PJ looks at the files before he burns them. I count around 50 white tags. The one he pulls out says: 'Panzer, James'; ?C Codes: 99999999; Social date: current; First possible date 1990 Last possible date 2012; subject was victim of "Red John" serial killer
The one in the very front looks like 'Plankett, E', it's hard to decipher. He seems to realize something or ponder something ...
Among the papers also burned is a page titled 'Killer strikes again, victims connected', not sure if it refers to RJ victims
Is there anything here that could have given PJ a clue?

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz