Friday, 19-Apr-24, 2:45 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace
June Date: Saturday, 19-May-12, 8:47 PM | Message # 106
Bee's Knees

I've just watched the episode and I'm sorry my English is not better because I would like to say so many things! I agree with all of your comments. I didn't like Wainwright death, I think he was a little boy, a good guy, he didn't deserve to die, I liked him. I hope Darcy will be important in some way next season. The Jane-Lisbon scenes, moving, Jane taking Lisbon's hand and closing his eyes like saying I'm safe now... I love Lisbon.
Bruno Heller? GENIUS, GENIUS, GENIUS

Message edited by June - Sunday, 20-May-12, 1:12 PM

Tori Date: Saturday, 19-May-12, 11:34 PM | Message # 107
Ankle Biter

Didn't I read that PJ falls "head over heels" for Lorelai? I'm wondering what he sees in her. It was a magnificent episode and I am very much looking forward to S5. It's going to be a looooong summer. Thank heaven for repeats!

smileyjunior Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 4:42 AM | Message # 108
Blow-In

So, I literally forgot how to breathe for a Good two minutes during this episode. At one point my dad was just like, (pardon the following language!) "What the h***s the matter with you?" at that point I was clutching my chest, mouth wide open.

I loved the bond we saw between the team and Jane. The whole episode was so flipping action packed I couldn't stand it. Words cannot describe my feelings for this episode... Do I see Lisbon centrics in the future. Seriously, I wish I could tell you guys how I feel about this episode!

I cannot think about The Mentalist ending... I love it say WAY too much. Everything about this show is pure genius.

AgentM Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 12:53 PM | Message # 109
Bee's Knees

Just as a slight aside...with regards to Van Pelt...anyone else get the feeling that Bruno's grooming her to become one of RJ's femme fatales? The way she is suddenly becoming immune to aggressive actions and confrontations that previously she would have been horrified at? The fact that she is open to suggestion (remember the red smoke scene with Bret Stiles?) and the idea that she's always had a tendency to want to believe (psychic cousin Yolanda and all that) gives me a sneaky unsettling feeling.

In this episode she 'whatever'ed (I know I'm making words up now!) Jane's apology to the team - I think ' gullible Grace' from previous seasons would have been a bit more put out about it. I think we're seeing an implanted aggression within her - giving her the necessary capability to kill without conscience. I don't buy that it just stems from having picked a guy who betrayed her. I think it's deeper than that - who knows what suggestions O'Laughlin may have implanted in her when behind closed doors?

What does anyone else think? Possibility? Or has Bruno got me completely paranoid and looking for things that aren't there?! suspect

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 2:07 PM | Message # 110
True Blue

AgentM, at least I absolutely agree we see a different Van Pelt. In "Red Rover, Red Rover" she was the first to agree, Marks got what he deserved when Jane tortured him in that coffin. The Van Pelt we used to know (' gullible Grace') would have insisted that no one deserves any bad treatment at all.
I didn´t think about where this may lead us, yet but you might be right, the could be more to it.
So, let´s hope we won´t lose her one day, right?

perhaps we should open a thread on Van Pelt?

and, btw Bruno sure GOT us all paranoid!

Tori Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 2:19 PM | Message # 111
Ankle Biter

I think you're right, AgentM. I've had a feeling myself but haven't paid too much attention to it so it stayed in the background. Maybe a storyline for S5? We'll see.

alibongo Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 3:46 PM | Message # 112
Ankle Biter

I've had the same feeling about VP for a while now. we know that she has a past but shes the only member of the team whose past hasnt really been gone into. We know cho was in a gang, Lisbons dad was a drunk and rigsby's dad was well just bad, but VP we know nothing except that her dad was a football coach. Her character is always on the edge of things, any other series and she would have probably been written out by now. Also, Bruno has hinted that RJ could be somebody we already know, and as I am going to stay with my origonal feeling that RJ is the CSI guy who "erks" jane, VP could be feeding him information. does anybody else believe that Darcy is RJ's friend in the FBI?

justlook3 Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 6:22 PM | Message # 113
Bee's Knees

The only thing with Darcy being RJ's friend in the FBI is that she wouldn't have let the CBI team go if she was. And she would have had credible FBI reasons to detain them that she could have used to help RJ. It's likely that the FBI contact is someone we haven't met yet, the person who recruited Craig for example. Or this Bill person she spoke to on the phone.

Speculation about Van Pelt is interesting. I mean she could just be finding her inner bitch. I'm sure she feels very responsible for what happened at the end of season 3. She let the monster into the CBI, she told him where Hightower was. Her naivety nearly got Lisbon, Hightower, those two children and herself killed. That's going to flip a switch on any one. I don't know. Guess we'll find out.

Geni Date: Sunday, 20-May-12, 10:35 PM | Message # 114
Ankle Biter

I loved the season finale and I can't wait to see how things are going to unfold. Like Tori said: it's going to be a very long Summer!
I gathered from Jane's shrewd smile after showing Lorelai the door that he had sensed she was playing him, so he played her. He "caught his prey". Being the cunning "mentalist" he is, I would suspect their night together involved more than sex. We know how good he is at hypnotizing people. I suspect she's somehow under his spell because of 1) how she kept using the word "lover" (that was weird, trigger maybe?) and 2) the touch on the shoulder and kiss on the head came across as ritualistic (you're gonna sing like a bird). Or maybe I'm just seeing things lol

Thoughts about who Red John: I still think Walter Mashburn looks good for it! And that new ME could be one of his minios too.

Message edited by Geni - Monday, 21-May-12, 2:39 PM

bonbon Date: Monday, 21-May-12, 6:24 AM | Message # 115
Jillaroo

1) My mouth fell open as Lorelei revealed next morning that RJ sent her. (I really thought a relationship would last awhile into season 5 before uncovering her deception.
2) Get a kick out of joys of ‘parenthood’ from Rigsby (described Benjamin pulling his butt on floor like a penguin). Don’t know the outcome of relationship w/ Sarah, but writers remind us so slightly now & then how good a father he’s become.
3)”Good luck, Teresa! Love you!” Way to go! Finally! (Loved Lisbon questioning meaning of his ‘words’ later in the warehouse & Jane's temp loss of memory (handled smoothly by writers with interruption by Lorelei’s call.)
4)So intense an episode, (kept you on the edge of chair throughout) but still the insertion of the humor we all love from Jane (e.g. “This is God” in church & on bike - ”How long had it been since Lisbon rode the handlebars of a boy’s bike? Romantic with the wind blowing thru her hair” (wig on melon).
5)Thought it very clever, too, (wonder if it may have been Simon’s idea) that the finger Lorelei was about to cut was his ring finger (the clippers were all the way down to the knuckle - would have taken off both the finger & the wedding band).
6)Can’t help but think Darcy the ‘leak’ in FBI (but it seems too obvious).
7)I, myself, was glad to see Wainwright GO (didn't care for the character or actor) but what a way, huh? Surprise!
8)One thing that really escaped me was the Title (what association did ‘crimson hat’ have with the episode)? Can someone enlighten me?
9)I feel, too, like some that VanPelt has 'turned more dark'...anxious to see storyline on her background.
10)As far as possible followers of RJ, I've had my eye on "Ron" the CBI agent (his character has appeared off & on
on numerous episodes).
All in all - I think it was the best episode of the 94 aired so far. KUDOS especially to Bruno Heller & writing staff!
And BRAVO! to Simon's acting talent. I'm happy there are so many of us who realize his contribution to the entertainment business. Unfortunately, he's been denied the accolades by this industry. I'd like to see more of the TV viewers get behind him & push for the recognition/awards he deserves.

AgentM Date: Monday, 21-May-12, 8:49 AM | Message # 116
Bee's Knees

Quote (Geni)
We know how good he is at hypnotizing people. I suspect she's somehow under his spell because of 1) how she kept using the word "lover" (that was weird, trigger maybe?) and 2) the touch in the shoulder and kiss on the head came across as ritualistic (you're gonna sing like a bird). Or maybe I'm just seeing things lol

Good pick up, Geni. You're not seeing things, I had a similar feeling. I agree that PJ 'knew' there was something suspect about Lorelai, (she was wearing red for goodness sake! lol.) He knew RJ would have been keeping tabs on him so he would have expected someone to approach him. LOL would love to have seen the occasions when women approached him during those 6 months for no other reason than he's a damn handsome man! He would have suspected everyone! He'd already remembered Lorelai's name so I guess he'd already suspected her and was biding his time waiting for the proper approach from her.

As for the smile - beautifully cunning! It was a classic "yesssss, he took the bait" look from Simon.

I'm not even convinced that PJ actually slept with her --- He didn't show any signs of guilt when Lorelai pointed out that they were lovers in the interview room, in fact, just the opposite - like he knew that they weren't. The look he also gave Lisbon after kissing the top of Lorelai's head suggested he knew a lot more than he was giving away at that point. Plus, I still don't think PJ is ready to commit 'adultery' yet . He still wears his ring and still considers himself married -- he won't be able to move on until he's got his justice.

Also loved the v/o on the nature documentary they were watching about the hunter 'subduing her prey' -- (or words to that effect) Another subtle clue from Bruno.

Has anyone listened out to see if I'm right about RJ's voice being done by Simon? The way he says 'heart' and 'Patrick' and the cadence and nuances in his voice -- I'm pretty certain SB played the part (still, that doesn't necessarily mean PJ is RJ)

Message edited by AgentM - Monday, 21-May-12, 9:50 AM

Tina Date: Monday, 21-May-12, 10:10 AM | Message # 117
Fair Dinkum

This was such a great episode, so many things I've been waiting for a long time finally in that episode. I think this is my new favorite one of all episodes. Brilliant. First my jaw really dropped when it said "six months later" at the beginning. Then the first scene ... I must say,when I heard about the Loralei story first I wasn't happy at all ...but now, I think Emanuelle did a great job and it was such a good story! The chase at the beginning ...like later again, I thought I was in the wrong series. So much action, just love it! What I like about the episode, as I said in the comments of the news section, I LOVE drama and darkness, but also mixed with some fun scenes, and even if this episode was very serious, there were some scenes I really had to laugh, like the scene when Jane checks out what's best for the fake of Lisbon's head, the scene in the church, the one on the bike (Jane on a bike, that was new too :-)). I definately LOVED the Jane/Lisbon scenes, been waiting for this big hug! So sweet the scene at the end when he takes her hand ... I'd love to see more of that, but in a friendship way, not romantically, I really don't see that. But I love the friendship between them ..they are both pretty lonely, but the friendship and trust is growing. I love touching scenes!
I'm not sure about Darcy working for RJ ...why would she do all the things she'd done, thinking that Jane was one of RJ's men ...
why did she let the team go and let them arrest Loralei if she was working for RJ?
Well, what a TM weekend. If I wasn't watching the episode, I was thinking about the show ...didn't leave my mind for a moment the whole weekend. I love Bruno for this great episode, I hope we get lots or more like that next season! As much as I like the "lighter" ones and the funny Jane, THIS is my thing. Episodes like this.
Tina

smileyjunior Date: Monday, 21-May-12, 4:56 PM | Message # 118
Blow-In

He said he has a friend in the FBI...

Fran Date: Tuesday, 22-May-12, 1:01 AM | Message # 119
Fair Dinkum

The more I think about it, the more I'm persuading myself that Jane & Lorelei didn't have sex, Jane has just somehow convinced her that they did.

I don't get why so many people are just taking Red John at his word about having an insider at the FBI. We can't believe anything he says can we???

For anyone who missed it, on the film set on Sunday, Simon said that he didn't do Red John's voice.

justlook3 Date: Tuesday, 22-May-12, 2:46 AM | Message # 120
Bee's Knees

For anyone who missed it, on the film set on Sunday, Simon said that he didn't do Red John's voice.

Totally missed that, thanks for the heads up.

I'm inclined to agree as well, trusting Red John is not something to do. Friend might mean listening device for all we know! wink

I'm hoping you're right about the sex thing. The sudden oddness of her behavior at the end of the episode when he kissed her head would lend credence to the theory.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 4 » Episode Discussion - Season 4 - US pace (SPOILERS for those watching at UK pace)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz