Saturday, 27-Apr-24, 1:27 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 3 » Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Fran Date: Wednesday, 23-Mar-11, 11:51 PM | Message # 16
Fair Dinkum

3.13 Red Alert shown 18th March

Here's an interesting article that Whitecat found: http://stkarnick.com/culture....message

‘Mentalist’ Episode Provides Strong Pro-Liberty Message

Last night’s episode of the CBS mystery The Mentalist, “Red Alert,” included some of the most explicitly pro-liberty, anti-government scenes you could ever hope to see.

Rushing to a murder scene to assist in an official investigation, California Bureau of Investigation criminal consultant (and genius detective) Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) is stopped by a local deputy police officer in a speed trap. Jane identifies himself as a CBI investigator, but the deputy ignores that and treats him in the arrogant, highhanded manner most drivers have experienced from police officers who, after all, are supposed to be the taxpayers’ servants, not our superiors.

The deputy insists that Jane hand over his driver’s license and auto registration. Fulfilling every driver’s fantasy, Jane refuses, tells the deputy that he’s being an officious jerk, and drives off.

Arriving at the crime scene, Jane emerges from his car and is immediately pursued by the deputy, who insists Jane must now be taken to jail. Jane continues his resistance, and the two men’s bosses reach a deal: Jane will pay the ticket that day, and all will be forgiven. Jane, aside, tells his boss, Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney), that he’s not going to pay the ticket. She tells him he has to, and they leave it at that.

Later, Jane confronts the deputy and the local sheriff and pours undisguised contempt on them for operating a speed trap. The deputy says that he’s just trying to save people’s lives. Jane laughs contemptuously, noting that if the deputy really wanted to save lives he’d park out in the open where people can see his police car. Instead, Jane notes, the deputy hides in hopes of catching people and forcing them to pay fines. It’s all a scam, Jane says, and an ugly, slimy one.

It’s a really liberating moment, and something many citizens of the Land of the Once-Free would like to say. In addition, the main murder mystery plot concerns a person wrongly accused of a crime, the sleazy behavior of an arrogant small-town mayor with big-time political ambitions, and several instances of blatant government malfeasance. Another, disastrous abuse of authority is prevented when Lisbon cleverly uses the press to pit her boss against the small-town mayor so that she can take control over the scene of a hostage-taking before the local police rush in and cause numerous deaths.

Thus the entire episode takes a jaundiced look at overweening government authorities and serves as a splendid illustration of Lord Acton’s maxim that power corrupts.

Ultimately (not really a spoiler), Jane solves the case and ends up not having to pay the ticket—Lisbon tells him their boss will take care of it. It’s a happy ending, but also a quite revealing one: Jane succeeds only by using one part of the government against another, just as Lisbon did earlier. Power corrupts, and the only thing that can counter it is . . . greater power. A message to the Tea Parties?

Fran Date: Thursday, 24-Mar-11, 0:37 AM | Message # 17
Fair Dinkum

I thought ‘Red Alert’ got off to a very good start in the teaser with the speeding situation. I hope I never get caught for speeding, but if I do and they ask me how fast I was going, I’d love to have the courage to ask if I get a prize if I guess correctly. Don’t think I’ll be able to use the Aquaman/Batman line though, but it made me laugh.

I particularly noticed Simon’s beautiful, artistic hands in this episode. As usual, they did spend a fair amount of time in his jacket pockets, but we also got some very nice views of them. One of those occasions was when Patrick was sitting half in his car and we had the great banter about the shameful speed traps, ending with “not paying it” and Lisbon’s “stop, stop”. I love the way their bickering is done with muted voices, almost under their breath sometimes. And another hands occasion was when he was doing the hypnosis.

Apart from when shots were actually ringing out, I thought Patrick seemed pretty relaxed while they were being held hostage. It seemed to me that he knew from the start that Crosswhite had no intention of shooting any of them. I particularly enjoyed his exchange with the clerk, the way he said “I’m thinking” and “What are you, like 5? A little patience here”.

Another favourite moment was Patrick’s facial expression in response to Lisbon asking for the injured woman to be released. Just after “I never thought of that, that’s a great idea”, there was a tiny movement of his eyes that spoke volumes.

Patrick is so human, he needed the bathroom, just like I would have done in that situation. So it was the 2nd thing on his list of requirements, and I thought it was hilarious the way the moment he said it, several others jumped in on the opportunity.

I thought this was also a good episode for Lisbon – we saw her strength in controlling the situation, and her cleverness in out-manoeuvring Bertram. Although I have to admit that a little voice in the back of my mind asked “Where’s Hightower?”.

Final mention goes to the “I can breathe again” remark, when we saw Patrick switch his thoughts to his own situation. It was wonderfully subtle, but I think the audience could have been in no doubt about what he was thinking.

JudeBlue Date: Friday, 25-Mar-11, 9:41 AM | Message # 18
Cobber

It's not the first time Jane's been in a hostage situation and mentioned needing the loo is it? A nice touch of realism, rarely shown in films and programmes.

And oh yes, that second where you could see what Jane thought of Lisbon's suggestion that the injured hostage be released. Those are my favourite funny moments, the really subtle fleeting exchange of glances.

biggrin

Fran Date: Saturday, 26-Mar-11, 0:35 AM | Message # 19
Fair Dinkum

Detailed review of Red Alert: http://reviewbrain.wordpress.com/2011....-review
Thanks to Whitecat for the link up

JudeBlue Date: Saturday, 26-Mar-11, 7:41 AM | Message # 20
Cobber

3.14 Blood for Blood shown 25th March
{I've edited this post just to put the episode title in. Fx}

OK, first things first.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, poor Rigsby.

Fran Date: Sunday, 27-Mar-11, 0:41 AM | Message # 21
Fair Dinkum

He looked like a little lost puppy, bless him. I reckon he'll get the girl in the end though. Unless of course she's a Red John accomplice, in which case he may have to kill her biggrin

JudeBlue Date: Sunday, 27-Mar-11, 9:50 PM | Message # 22
Cobber

Oh yes, his little face.

So, Lisbon showed herself open to breaking the rules at the end didn't she? Could this be the beginning of a change of philosophy? Justice but not necessarily the law?

angel Date: Monday, 28-Mar-11, 5:35 PM | Message # 23
Cobber

loved at the start when they find the girl in treehouse. Teresa says 'we're from the cbi'. jane says 'yes its real, we have a website as well'. So funny. Yes i had feeling it was the marshall but did get suckered at the end when they threw up the little girl killed her father. End was wonderful too. Loved jane and his ' you just witnessed a wonderful thing'. Another brilliant episode biggrin

Laroche is so creepy i really don't know if he is good or bad. I truly think Pruits casting was so correct. May be small scenes but he leaves a impression. Brilliant actor.

And yes rigsby, oh so felt for him. But i hear eric winter is in a new pilot show so if the series takes it could be that he won't be back. But is it just me but at his dinner with van pelt, the way he brushed off her friends as co workers and that he is her friend. he just seemed so cold and i feel he has a agenda here, and that he is slowly trying to seperate her from the rest of the team by worming his way in. This makes me think that there is a shock instore especialy at the wedding. I am liking him less and less each time i see him angry

Well thats my view xx

Fran Date: Tuesday, 29-Mar-11, 11:50 AM | Message # 24
Fair Dinkum

I've got to watch the ep again, but have to say I agree with you Angel about Craig. I don't like him, he seems a bit creepy to me and I think that remark about her co-workers was very revealing - a possessive, controlling type perhaps. I predict a sticky end and don't think we'll see him next season. Mind you, if Craig does turn out to be a baddie, what does that say about Grace - 2 baddies out of 3 doesn't show good judgement.

Also agree with you about Pruit - excellent casting. I particularly like his scenes with Patrick, there's electricity in the air between them.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 30-Mar-11, 6:57 PM | Message # 25
Fair Dinkum

I've watched it again now, there's very few shows I want to watch more than once, but I enjoy watching The Mentalist over and over.

I seem to have picked up on very similar things to Angel. I also loved the way Patrick found the girl in the treehouse and the website quip. And I was very suspicious of the marshall, and totally surprised by the reveal at the end. The "you've just witnessed a beautiful thing" remark was accompanied by the most gorgeous smile - Patrick's face just lit up.

As Jude commented, Lisbon broke the rules. We have seen her bend them before, with the Rigsby / Van Pelt situation. And we know she broke them in the past to protect Bosco. But are there any other examples? I can't remember, although she does usually go along with Patrick's schemes. So maybe she's not such a stickler for the rules as she makes out.

Other favourite moments:
- "tadaar" (don't know how to spell that) and "no fumes of tobacco"
- at the hospital just before "seems like an excellent facility", we had a delightful brief glimpse of 2 women (nurses?) and Patrick flirting
- Patrick getting Essex's address from Boden - I love the way its all a game for Patrick, and he looks so pleased with himself when he wins
- the Lisbon / Jane scene after the girl confessed - Simon and Robin working well off eachother

I've already commented on Craig / Grace, but just wanted to add that Grace seems different with him, difficult to explain, but sort of weaker somehow.

Final comment is that I liked the actress who played Aunt Jody. I thought her scenes with Patrick were very good. I feel as though I've seen her before in something else, but can't place her.

JudeBlue Date: Thursday, 31-Mar-11, 0:36 AM | Message # 26
Cobber

Lisbon rule bending - giving Danny Ruskin time to go before officers caught up with him over fraud charges.

Jane thanked her twice but she didn't 'hear' him.

biggrin

(I thought I recognised the actress who played the Aunt too - I think she possibly reminds me of the Hemingway actresses, Margaux and Mariel.)

Message edited by JudeBlue - Thursday, 31-Mar-11, 0:39 AM

JudeBlue Date: Thursday, 31-Mar-11, 0:40 AM | Message # 27
Cobber

Well her name is Yancy Butler - never heard of her - but it was the eyebrows that made me thinks of the Hemingways.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?....rl=http

JudeBlue Date: Monday, 04-Apr-11, 12:54 PM | Message # 28
Cobber

3.15 Red Gold shown 1st April

I thought it very odd that Patrick was so excited at the beginning of this episode. Hugging the sheriff was weird IMO.

I could believe that he would have adopted an excited 'looking for gold' persona - to solve the case - once he'd sussed out what had happened, but he was a bit too OTT for my liking.

I also thought that Lisbon's fall, when she first tried to walk, was silly.

I think I may have been watching too much Dexter. wacko

On a plus side - lucky old Hightower - I did like the bit where Jane hid and she stuck her arms out and wondered what was going on.

And the bit where Jane said 'you be bad cop' and Hightower said she'd 'Be herself' and he said 'That's what I said'.

For me a so-so episode - but then I do like the dramatic ones much more than the overly funny ones.

Message edited by JudeBlue - Monday, 04-Apr-11, 12:55 PM

Fran Date: Wednesday, 06-Apr-11, 0:11 AM | Message # 29
Fair Dinkum

Well remembered Jude about Lisbon and Danny - good example of Lisbon being prepared to bend the rules. Have decided I don't know Yancy Butler - maybe she just looks like someone I do know.

Now, to Red Gold. I thought it was an enjoyable, entertaining episode, but not one of the best. I think it was mainly played for laughs, particularly Lisbon falling over whenever she tried to walk.

At the start, Patrick's behaviour did seem a little over-the-top, but we've seen this elated Patrick before. For example, in Code Red when he gets out of the helicopter (I love that bit, when he spins round). I actually think this type of behaviour is pretty well observed, because in my experience people who have extreme lows also have extreme highs - the pendulum effect.

After the case started properly, I think Patrick's enthusiasm was an act to put people off their guard. When Wes Attwood was conning the 2 buyers, we could see Patrick in the background sussing out the situation with a cynical eye.

I was glad to see a bit more of Hightower, including her softer side, and I thought that all her scenes with Patrick worked very well.

Jane hiding from Attwood by hugging Hightower was also one of my favourite moments. Others were:
- when they found Attwood's body, the way Patrick leant forward so he could look in, without having to move his feet. I always enjoy seeing cowardly Patrick, when he obviously feels he's safer if he leaves one or both feet behind.
- "I think the huh? was for the goldmine part".
- the showdown with Puddick - I thought the whole scene was done very well and that Simon's body language was particularly good.
- the final Patrick and Lisbon scene, "you mean going out with another woman?", finishing with a Patrick smile - always a good way to end an episode.

On a final note, I was pleased to see Dylan Bruno from Numbers guest starring, but to be honest David Krumholtz would have been better.

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 06-Apr-11, 10:17 AM | Message # 30
Cobber

'Played for laughs' - you've hit the nail on the head there for me Fran. Lisbon's fall was exactly how Miranda Hart falls in Miranda (a British comedy show). I wonder if we've got some dark episodes coming up and they are supposed to come as a bit of a shock after the lighthearted stuff?

I did think that Hightower was very good in this episode - in fact her story was the most interesting part of this episode for me.

smile

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 3 » Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz