Friday, 26-Apr-24, 9:38 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 3 » Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Fran Date: Friday, 04-Mar-11, 11:19 PM | Message # 1
Fair Dinkum

Episode 11 'Bloodsport' shown 4th March.

JudeBlue Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-11, 12:03 PM | Message # 2
Cobber

I have to admit that episodes where they 'enter the world' of something like boxing (ditto the horse racing episode) are not my favourites - I can't explain why.

Anyway, the pivotal part of this episode was Cho lying for Rigsby. I think he was still deciding what to do
when LaRoche was asking him - it certainly hadn't been planned between the two of them because he couldn't back it up with any story about what they did - or perhaps he didn't want to tell more than one lie?

It has obviously put an enormous strain on their friendship and no doubt there will be some interesting scenes to follow.

My highlight was Jane running away from the boxer whom he had called a 'dimly lit clown'. I LOVE the way Jane runs when he's been cheeky. This time he even included some skipping. Great stuff.

biggrin

Fran Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-11, 5:45 PM | Message # 3
Fair Dinkum

Hey Jude. Its interesting that you compared this ep to The Red Ponies, also written by Eoghan Mahoney, perhaps there’s a pattern emerging here. Although I haven’t noticed it on previous seasons, and some of his 1st season eps were amongst my favourites. Personally, I loved The Red Ponies but maybe thats partly because I’m a horsey person.

I enjoyed Bloodsport, but it won’t be making its way to my favourites list. I disliked the teaser, too much violence for my taste, which is not typical of TM, and I found it quite long particularly as Patrick wasn’t part of it. I think new viewers would have been misled by this teaser into thinking that the show is very different to what it actually is.

My favourite moment was also Patrick’s run and skipping after the ‘dimly lit clown’ remark – genius! Simon was obviously in a skippy mood, because we got a mini-skip along with a moment of funny walk, the first time he went to the gym club to interview Artash. These moments always make me laugh, and I love that Simon adds these little details.

Another moment that made me laugh was at the CBI offices, poor Lisbon had just calmed down the 2 fighters and Patrick made a remark that started a major brawl. He knew exactly what he was doing, he’s so naughty.

I thought the set-up conversation at the gym was an enjoyable scene, although I found the writing a little clumsy – it seemed to be too obviously a set-up. I have to admit though that the first time I watched I didn’t get the significance of the questions about Artash’s mother’s name and its connection to the club and the gun.

The Cho/Rigsby situation is interesting, although I’m surprised it was that way round. Normally its Rigsby who wants to play everything by the book, and Cho who’s prepared to bend the rules to get a result. I’m also sure we will be reminded of this in future episodes, but I’m not sure what the impact will be. It could be that their relationship is damaged and strained for a while which may or may not affect their work, or it could be a future situation where the favour needs to be returned. Or it could be that Patrick will use it in some way, because I felt at the end of the ep they made it very clear that he had picked up on the vibe between them. I just love the way Patrick picks up on everything and always knows everyone’s secrets.

JudeBlue Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-11, 8:00 PM | Message # 4
Cobber

Hi Fran, that's interesting about the writer - I'm afraid I'm useless at picking up different writing styles and the only thing I know is that Bruno Heller writes all the Red John episodes.

I too watch each epi more than once and usually pick up new details with each watching - especially Van Pelt's and Cho's lines, they really rattle them off sometimes. In fact I'm thinking of switching the subtitles on - that's something a friend of mine does sometimes.

Cho does bend the rules doesn't he - especially for Jane, I think he really admires Jane. But I guess an out and out lie - to a colleague - was a step further than he was comfortable with - and yet he still did it.

One thing is sure, Jane was taking it all in and has more info about Cho's character which may well come in handy in the future.

smile

angel Date: Monday, 07-Mar-11, 4:08 PM | Message # 5
Cobber

I think cho was exceptional here. He always come thru for them when asked even if against his principles. Shows that he cares as they are the closest to a family he has now. Fave moment is when jane going to security guard in alec guiness star wars impersonation 'these are not the droids your looking for'. So funny and spot on. His look at cho at the end. Oh he so knows when somethings up. You can't get passed jane. I seen it 4 times and it gets better each time. Testament to how great the show is. And will become a classic.

Message edited by angel - Monday, 07-Mar-11, 4:10 PM

JudeBlue Date: Tuesday, 08-Mar-11, 8:43 AM | Message # 6
Cobber

Thanks for that explanation angel - I've never sat through a whole Star Wars film (fell asleep in the cinema - yes, really) and didn't get what Jane said at all!!

After Jane, Cho is my favourite character. To the casual observer he appears to be almost emotionless but he's full of feelings and a smile from him is precious. If you make a friend of Cho you have the most loyal friend in the world. LOVE Cho.

Fran Date: Wednesday, 09-Mar-11, 0:47 AM | Message # 7
Fair Dinkum

I haven't watched Star Wars properly either, I've just seen bits, so didn't pick up on the Alec Guinness impersonation. I think Simon loves doing them and I reckon there's quite a few that I miss. I picked up on the "You're out of order. This whole court is out of order" Al Pacino impression, but I've often noticed moments when Patrick walks slightly differently and I'm sure Simon is imitating someone. There's a bit in 'A Dozen Red Roses', where I wondered if he was doing a John Wayne.

And I think the writers often include in-jokes, but once again I'm not enough of a film buff to pick up on them. In Season 1 there was a reference to Nicole & Keith and Patrick's reaction was funny once I realised who they were talking about. And someone told me that the "these are ears not taxi doors' comment was a reference to a comment made about Clark Gable.

Angel, you're much more knowledgeable about films than me, have you picked up on any more of these impersonations or in-jokes?

By the way, I love Cho as well - I think a lot of people would choose him as their favourite character after Patrick.

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 09-Mar-11, 9:04 AM | Message # 8
Cobber

I bet I'm missing lots of film references (I had to look up the 'out of order one') because - despite the fact I'm quite old - and have seen a lot of films - there are whole genres that have passed me by.

(I'm glad the Clark Gable reference was for his ears and not another supposedly large appendage, say no more.)

biggrin

Fran Date: Saturday, 12-Mar-11, 11:31 AM | Message # 9
Fair Dinkum

3.12 Bloodhounds shown 11th March

Too soon to do a proper write-up, but I've gotta say that was the funniest episode I've seen so far. I laughed so much at the "Keep up Lisbon" moment, that it took me the rest of the ep to recover. Thank goodness I recorded it because I had to watch it again straight away.

JudeBlue Date: Sunday, 13-Mar-11, 1:04 PM | Message # 10
Cobber

I liked the character of Dr Montague very much but would've expected Jane to have been much unhappier at the beginning of the episode - perhaps he was confident that a number cruncher could be easily bettered?

Rigsby really doesn't 'get' what a big deal it was for Cho to lie does he?

Fran Date: Friday, 18-Mar-11, 1:11 AM | Message # 11
Fair Dinkum

I’ve watched Bloodhounds again a couple of times now, and have to say I really loved this ep. I think the teaser was one of the best ever, Simon playing it for laughs with Patrick’s facial expressions and his almost childlike behaviour.

We were treated to more of little boy Patrick, full of wonderment in the drinks factory office when he was told the flavour of the drink and also when he spotted the lizard. But how deceptive that little boy behaviour is, when all the time its masking his perceptive observation and his brain hard at work on his schemes.

I thought the scenes and banter with Dr Montague were great, and I think the reason he wasn’t unhappier about her being there was because he enjoys a challenge and a diversion. He really does enjoy playing people and coming out the winner.

I enjoyed the scenes with Lisbon as well. The rhyming and rapping was fun. And replacing Lisbon’s couch which although she complained about it, she did seem to be enjoying the comfort later. Patrick seems to spend quite a lot of his time there these days, so perhaps that’s why he did it. I also loved the scene on the new couch where he admitted to Lisbon that he’d sent the rhyming letter and kidney, I think it was.

Other highlights for me were:
the $1 bet which he knew he would lose in the short-term;
setting up Rigsby and Dr Montague on a date (nicely manipulated);
“I’m just an innocent bystander, she lured me into this mess” (cowardly Patrick);
the finger actions when he said “knitting” (as if he needed to explain what knitting is!);
Cho’s “so how often were you healing the homeless women around here?”;
the classic Cho & Rigsby soda moment.

Finally, I also have to mention the closing scene. Was it my imagination, or had Dr Montague succumbed to Patrick’s charm? And then Patrick couldn't resist taking her report out of the bin, but had to check that nobody saw him do it. I wonder if there’s going to be an important Red John clue in there.

angel Date: Friday, 18-Mar-11, 9:56 PM | Message # 12
Cobber

I loved jane on couch saying to doc 'i like to read, i have insomnia', with that empty look on his face. I couldn't stop laughing. And yes cho/rigsby drinking was short and so sweet. The banter between jane/lisbon was so much fun. When she gets her own back when they catch bus driver and she tells jane with suspect in back theres no room for jane and he'l have take the bus. Jane replies 'but he was our driver'. This was writing at its best. Sheer joy to watch. And now i keep looking for references to films now but not seen anymore but will look out.

JudeBlue Date: Saturday, 19-Mar-11, 8:40 AM | Message # 13
Cobber

"Finally, I also have to mention the closing scene. Was it my imagination, or had Dr Montague succumbed to Patrick’s charm?"

Oh yes - I doubt she usually kisses colleagues!

biggrin

Message edited by JudeBlue - Saturday, 19-Mar-11, 8:40 AM

JudeBlue Date: Wednesday, 23-Mar-11, 4:50 PM | Message # 14
Cobber

We've had a couple of humorous episodes, are we due a dramatic one? (My fave.)

Fran Date: Wednesday, 23-Mar-11, 6:47 PM | Message # 15
Fair Dinkum

I think maybe the next one 'Blood for Blood' is a more dramatic one, but I'm not sure. I like a mix of humour and drama, but I think its very difficult to get a good balance of both in one episode.

I've just realised I haven't posted anything on 'Red Alert' yet. Oh no, I'm gonna have to watch it again eek

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 3 » Episode Discussion - Season 3 - UK pace
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz