Tuesday, 16-Apr-24, 7:23 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » Season 6 SPOILERS (Spoilers about future episodes)
Season 6 SPOILERS
sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 24-Apr-14, 4:28 PM | Message # 406
Bee's Knees

The mystery is also about Jane and Lisbon. In the interviews at Paley center, both Robin and Simon agreed that having them become more than partners would signal the end of the show and now we have a distinct feeling that they are more than partners, hello!!!

Evy Date: Thursday, 24-Apr-14, 11:24 PM | Message # 407
Fair Dinkum

Source TVLine - Matt's Inside Line
http://tvline.com/2014....#

I see things are getting awkward between Jane and Lisbon on The Mentalist. Is she going to tell Jane about Pike’s proposal to move to D.C.? –Diana
Oh yes. “It’s something they’re going to talk about and have several conversations about,” says EP Tom Szentgyorgyi, adding: “It’s a process of discovery for both of them, because these are things they haven’t talked about before now.” Well hurry and talk, yo, the season ends soon!

Raven Date: Saturday, 26-Apr-14, 4:19 PM | Message # 408
Dinkie-Di

TV Series Finale
The Mentalist: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Seven?
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show....n-32225

Last month, CBS renewed most of TV shows from the 2013-14 season. One series that was conspicuously missing from the list was The Mentalist. Does this mean that the show has been cancelled or, could it still return for a seventh season?

Starring Simon Baker, Robin Tunney, Tim Kang, Owain Yeoman, and Amanda Righetti, The Mentalist debuted in 2008 and was an immediate hit for the network, drawing an average of a 3.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 16.94 million viewers. The second season dropped to a still healthy 3.4 in the demo and 15.35 million. Unfortunately, The Mentalist has continued to lose viewers each subsequent year.

In 2012, the network opted to do what they’ve done in the past with other declining established shows — they sent The Mentalist to the Sundays at 10pm timeslot. Because of frequent sports-related overruns, numerous episodes of The Mentalist haven’t started until well after 10pm, making it a challenge for even the most devoted fans to watch it.

Last season, the show’s ratings fell to a 1.7 demo rating with 9.5 million viewers, a far cry from the show’s early seasons. It easily could have been cancelled but CBS renewed the series instead.

This season, the numbers have gotten even worse. The 18 episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a 1.5 in the demo and 9.21 million viewers. The show is expensive to produce and is bringing in less advertising revenue so it’s certainly in danger of being cancelled once again.

Because CBS already renewed most of their other shows, there’s not much space left for new hour shows — and the network certainly needs some of those next season. Both of their new dramas this season — Hostages and Intelligence — were ratings failures and are certain to be cancelled.

On the positive side, Warner Bros Television, which produces The Mentalist, has incentive to keep Simon Baker and company on the air. They have a lucrative $2+ million per episode deal with TNT and the series also brings in a lot of cash from overseas markets.

They are likely offering CBS a financial break if they take on another season but, according to Deadline, Warner Bros is also shopping the series to other outlets. ABC, who’s also been struggling to establish new dramas, is said to be interested. Cable channels might also be a possibility but they have less cash to spend. It will likely all come down to what kind of deal Warner puts together.

Fans of the show will have to wait to see what happens but at least they have a strong ally in the studio for also wanting the show to come back for a seven season.

What do you think? Do you think The Mentalist should be cancelled or renewed for a seventh season? Is it time for this show to end? Would you follow it to another network or cable channel?

Evy Date: Sunday, 27-Apr-14, 6:34 PM | Message # 409
Fair Dinkum

Examiner.com article "The Mentalist’: Agent Lisbon’s new man gives a kiss ? Season finale proposal"

I don't know if "examiner" is a serious media wink

http://www.examiner.com/article....roposal

Fans of “The Mentalist” watched as FBI Agent Teresa Lisbon has finally found her possible suitor on the popular CBS show, but it isn't Patrick Jane as many viewers has visualized. The chance encounter with Agent Pike blossomed into more than just a working relationship and it gets more serious as the season finale gets closer. This “The Mentalist” spoiler offers details about the episode “Brown Eyed Girls” so fans who don’t want to know details should look away now. According to Hollywood Hills on Saturday, an unassuming abandoned house kicks off a drastic case for the FBI.

The chance encounter sets up a very interesting case with Patrick Jane taking the lead on a smuggling ring. A suspicious-looking individual leads Jane and Agent Lisbon to uncover a big human smuggling ring that even their bosses are shocked to see all the people involved. With such a serious injustice to the people being harmed the FBI stops the ring and arrests those folks in charge.

Meanwhile, Agent Lisbon has a tough choice before the season finale. It was Agent Pike who offered a new life for the couple and a romance that could last a lifetime if she moves with him to Washington, D.C. Torn between two worlds and the chance for love, Teresa has to decide carefully her new journey in life as it might not be the best to stick with Patrick Jane. More importantly, a kiss is coming for Agent Lisbon and it might not be from Agent Pike who is trying to sweep her off her feet. Christian Post is reporting on Thursday that the kiss is from her other sleuthing friend and both men might be on one knee to propose.

As the romance does bloom into something bigger, it’s pretty obvious that Patrick is getting jealous of Agent Pike as it was once assumed that he might be Lisbon’s boyfriend. How the three work out the details for a strong conclusion to the story is yet to be known, but knowing Patrick Jane he probably has something up his sleeve to make Agent Lisbon thing twice before leaving the Texas FBI unit.

Evy Date: Saturday, 03-May-14, 11:53 PM | Message # 410
Fair Dinkum

I noticed something : the sequences of the episodes are not in the order of the promo and I fear that the arrest of Jane takes place at the end of the episode instead of the beginning wink

Message edited by Evy - Saturday, 03-May-14, 11:55 PM

Raven Date: Sunday, 04-May-14, 9:07 AM | Message # 411
Dinkie-Di

Code
I fear that the arrest of Jane takes place at the end of the episode instead of the beginning

I'm not sure.

Message edited by Raven - Sunday, 04-May-14, 9:09 AM

June Date: Sunday, 04-May-14, 4:29 PM | Message # 412
Bee's Knees

Yes, it's a little confused. The press release says: "Jane’s freedom is at stake when a grand jury is empanelled to decide if he should be tried for the murder of Red John".
The promo shows his arrest and one of the sneak peek shows him working with Kim, as usual. When is he arrested? At the beginning or at the end of the episode? Is it possible to be arrested and working with the FBI at the same time? I have no idea how a grand jury works. In any case, we'll have to wait.

Peithon Date: Sunday, 04-May-14, 5:22 PM | Message # 413
Rip Snorter

They play loose with the law but I suspect Jane is released into the custody of the FBI to do his thing while the grand jury deliberates his fate.

DS_Pallas Date: Sunday, 04-May-14, 6:54 PM | Message # 414
Fair Dinkum

Why does he need to get arrested? Why not just summon him? (have no idea how american law is functioning though). Is it just for the dramatic effect that they used US marshalls?

Update. Ok, it was for dramatic effect. happy

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Wednesday, 07-May-14, 6:27 PM

Evy Date: Wednesday, 07-May-14, 4:12 PM | Message # 415
Fair Dinkum

TVLine - 6th May

The Mentalist Finale First Look: Will Jane and Lisbon Literally Ride Off Into the Sunset ?

http://tvline.com/2014....ue-bird

Evy Date: Friday, 09-May-14, 4:53 PM | Message # 416
Fair Dinkum

TVLine - 9th May

B. Heller, Simon and Robin interview

The Mentalist Creator and Stars Discuss the Jane/ Lisbon Dilemma, Boast of a Love-or-Hate Finale

http://tvline.com/2014....#

Three may be a crowd on The Mentalist (Sunday, 10/9c), but four was company when the CBS series’ creator, Bruno Heller, along with leads Simon Baker and Robin Tunney, spoke with TVLine to survey the season-ending arc centered on Lisbon’s D.C. debate and how it’s stirring something in Jane. Read on for their thoughts about navigating that sticky wicket and how the May 18 (series?) finale will split the audience 50-50.

TVLINE | Bruno, I understand that it was always the show’s intent to get to this place with Jane and Lisbon at the end of this season, even dating back to last summer?
BRUNO HELLER | We were certainly thinking about it. When the show started, for me there was not a thought of that at all. But one of the things about TV over the years is the characters develop their own dynamic and direction as truth is revealed, and it seemed to us – and [the actors] can contradict me if they like – that love blossoms. There is a genuine feeling there between the two characters that had to be honored, one that was just natural and organic.

TVLINE | Simon, were you interested to explore this side of….
SIMON BAKER | [Interrupts] From the moment I met Robin Tunney. [Tunney and Heller laugh] I looked at her and I said, “You will be mine.” No, you know, it’s one of those things where…. It’s the whole Moonlighting theory that comes into play with long-form TV. It goes on, and sometimes on and on, and do you give the audience what they want, or do you keep the flirtation and tease going? Is that really what they want, is that what they like — to want something? Because as soon as you seal any sort of a deal with anything, it’s like, “Well, that’s that, and from there where do we go?” There are plenty of places always to go, but it’s a risk and a challenge.

TVLINE | But on a character level, were you and Robin interested to ask the question, “What do these two people really mean to each other after all these years?”
BAKER | Yes — and that became really evident, I thought, after we closed the Red John story and we did the episode that took place two years later. It was about laying the foundation for the rest of the season, in the sense of it was an episode about longing and missing each other, missing that relationship as it stood.
ROBIN TUNNEY | I also think the show has always been something more than just a straight procedural. And once the Red John storyline cleared up, it was like, “OK, these people are left with each other. So how do you create stakes?” There was a history, but there was this idea of “What’s next?” How do they feel about each other? It created sort of an arc where there was a lot at stake, people’s hearts and all that stuff, without, “Oh, we can throw another serial killer into the mix.” It was something that was fitting to the show and it created drama.

TVLINE | Robin, in the closing sceneTheMentalist_doorstep of last week’s episode, what is going on in Teresa’s mind as she stands at the doorstep, wiping tears off her face?
TUNNEY | I think she’s just dying for [Jane] to declare himself — and she’s really worried that he won’t. This opportunity with somebody else [Agent Marcus Pike, played by Pedro Pascal] has come up and it’s like, “OK, am I crazy? Should I do this? Am I missing out on something because I’m hanging out waiting for somebody else?” That’s something that’s really scary to her. This guy comes along who’s crazy about her and it’s like, “Am I going to pass up on something that’s real, to hang out and see what happens?” She’s just dying for Jane to declare himself. She’s not sure what else she can do, like, “So, this other guy has asked me to move with him….”

TVLINE | What is it that’s keeping Jane from being more forthright with Lisbon? Is he perhaps not confident in his ability to make her happy, or…?
HELLER | Simon can probably answer that better than me, but for me, if you spent so much of your life self-protectively concealing your feelings, for very good reasons, and feel that it was your love that essentially killed other people in your life, that connection to you has been a bad thing, there are all kinds of fears deep down that would stop you from speaking honestly. Men in general have difficulty declaring their emotions, and in this case [Jane and Lisbon] had a long and close, brother-sister relationship, so to suddenly declare a different kind of love is extremely difficult.
BAKER | Everything seems to be good, and then suddenly the girl that I like to stand next to has these “demands” upon my character to give more of himself…. That’s a part of it. It’s also that Jane is a broken toy. He looks like he’s gotten to be OK, but really, he’s not functioning completely. I guess Lisbon’s wondering and hoping whether or not he ever will function again, and he’s looking at her, thinking, “She’s going to walk away, and I can’t fix myself. I’ve forgotten how to give of myself and surrender.” So it’s a challenge. You could interpret it a lot of different ways, but I knew what I was playing. I didn’t necessarily choose to articulate it, because I think the nature of someone not being able to surrender to someone else or give themselves up is incredibly private. And I think it has to feel like it’s authentically private for it to be legitimate.

TVLINE | Robin, has this last run of episodesBlue Bird been entertaining for you, to be “the prettiest girl at the dance” with two not-unattractive men fighting over you?
TUNNEY | Uh, yeah – after wearing sensible clothes and shoes for five years, it’s been pretty nice.
HELLER | That’s Robin’s real life anyway, men fighting for her….
TUNNEY | [Laughs] It’s interesting, the storyline between Jane and Lisbon. From the very beginning, I remember the TCA [press tour] and PaleyFest [panel during] the first season, it was like, “Will they or wont they?” And my answer – “I have no idea” — was an honest one. And then throughout the years… [Simon and I] could have grown angry at each other or hated each other, but I grew so fond of him as a human being that the idea of where that was going was so easy to play, because I really enjoyed going to work with him. I feel like it’s a progression of how people bond. That’s the great thing about television, is you have the chance to experience things in real time, over six years.

TVLINE | Bruno, are you willing to rule out Pike as the mastermind behind the season-ending kidnapping mystery? That there won’t be that easy out?
HELLER | I’m willing to rule that out, yes. Pike is not the bad guy.
TUNNEY | It all seemed too good to be true!
HELLER | Sometimes I think I’m way too dumb for this audience, to come up with clever solutions like that. [Laughs] Life is not that complicated or dark – though I wish I had come up with that before.

TVLINE | How satisfying will the finale be if it turns out to be the series’ very final episode?
HELLER | You go first, Baker.
BAKER | [Thinks] On a scale of 1 to 10….
HELLER | Oh, I’ll go first then – “11.” Listen, this last one was written and designed to be a suitable big, happy romantic send-off for the series if that what happens — but it also opens a new chapter if that is not the case. I think we hit the mark well enough. I’m very happy with it. Baker is a perfectionist, so he’s not going to be happy until I’ve created a cross between Gone With the Wind and Psycho or something.
BAKER | Oh, Jesus. Can we readdress those references?
HELLER | OK, maybe not those two. But one of the reasons the show has gone as long as it has is precisely because these two, especially Simon, are never satisfied. They’re always pushing for more and better, more interesting and fresh and original. We may not have always succeeded, but that is the bar we’ve been trying to get over. I think we’ve done our best and it’s up to the audience to decide how well it’s done.
BAKER | We’re in the popularist business with The Mentalist. It’s not Breaking Bad, it’s a show that has had a very consistent audience for six years, and it’s all about pulling our audience in directions where we challenge them a bit. You can’t always give everyone what they want, and sometimes people want to be protected from what they want. I think the best result could be to divide the audience 50-50.
TUNNEY | I think it’s going to make a lot of people really happy, and I think it’s going to make some people angry — and that’s the most you can hope for. Because everybody’s emotionally invested in the show in a different way. And that’s good, because they’re genuine reactions. I don’t think anyone will feel in the middle of the road about it.

Message edited by Evy - Friday, 09-May-14, 4:55 PM

Mossibecca Date: Friday, 09-May-14, 5:47 PM | Message # 417
Bee's Knees

Interesting interview, thanks for posting.

PJaneloke Date: Friday, 09-May-14, 6:01 PM | Message # 418
Surfie

Can't wait for the finale and yet dreading it (if it is the last that we ever seen TM!)

Tassie Date: Friday, 09-May-14, 6:05 PM | Message # 419
Bee's Knees

Thanks Evy. Good to get insights from the 'top people' although naturally it doesn't tell us anything.

June Date: Sunday, 11-May-14, 5:40 PM | Message # 420
Bee's Knees

'Mentalist' Stars, EP Promise Satisfying 'Closure,' View Season 7 as 'Encore'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe....-703085

Showrunner Bruno Heller, along with stars Simon Baker and Robin Tunney, talk to THR about the final two episodes and address the season-ending dilemma facing Lisbon and Jane.

Will Lisbon and Jane finally take the plunge?

Renewed at the 11th hour by CBS, veteran procedural The Mentalist marches toward its May 18 finale with a season-ending question still unanswered: Will Lisbon make the move to Washington, D.C. and end her partnership with Jane? After the Red John wrap-up earlier in the season, exploring the personal dynamics between Jane and Lisbon was the logical next step.

"The pleasures of the show rests in the byplay between Robin [Tunney] and Simon [Baker]. Getting rid of Red John allowed us to focus on that human aspect of the show," executive producer Bruno Heller tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Red John, as it turns out, was a convenience for Jane because it meant he didn't have to confront the rest of his life and what he's doing."

Now that the Red John chapter is over (for the most part), there was no longer a physical obstacle in the way of Jane addressing the Lisbon situation -- just mental ones. "After [Red John] goes, for both Lisbon and Jane, there is a palpable sense of 'What now? Do I really want to continue doing the same thing?' " Heller says. "It left the two of them without an excuse to decide where that relationship was going. They had always been able to keep it separate. Those questions start bubbling up and the rest of the season was the resolution of those questions."

The show's primary focus had always been "the hunt for Red John, the idea of Jane seeking revenge," Baker tells THR, but when that went away and his partnership with Lisbon temporarily ceased, it was time for Jane to figure things out. "You look around and the person standing next to you for five-and-half-years is nowhere to be seen, there's an emptiness and a hollowness," Baker says. Last week's episode was the most recent indicator of the pair's tense (and complicated) relationship, wherein Jane tentatively lets Lisbon go at her doorstep. "it was an obvious progression to get to the idea of longing and missing that person who, when the dust settles, has always been there and [now] she's not there," Baker says.

It's been choppy waters for Jane to get to a place where he can comfortably jump into a romantic affair. "It is not something you can automatically pick up when you're as broken as Jane is," Baker admits. "Just as you get comfortable with any patterns in life, it's going to twist you to change or grow or stretch."

Being one-half of The Mentalist's main couple has been an "interesting" journey to say the least, Tunney tells THR. Though the show has always been billed as a crime procedural, interest in Jane and Lisbon's endgame has been present from the start. Tunney recalls fielding numerous questions over the years about Lisbon and Jane's romantic future, admitting that she'd always answer the same way: a simple "I don't know." "It's always more interesting when the writers and the actors don't know because I don't think you always know in life and also, it becomes less obvious," Tunney explains.

From her perspective, being in such close proximity to Jane during the Red John saga was a factor in turning the tide for Lisbon. "Lisbon did stand by Jane and was really there for him in the hunt for Red John. They're both lonely people and they had this thing in common. Once that was gone, Lisbon really missed him," Tunney says. "She realized that it wasn't just about catching the bad guy: 'I love being around this person and what does this mean?' The last [few] episodes, [Lisbon's wondering,] 'Is he going to declare himself? Is he going to put himself out there? What are we going to do now?' It's going to come to a head."

There is one thing Tunney was OK with in regards to Jane and Lisbon's prolonged courtship: the timing. "It would've been really inappropriate during all the Red John stuff," she says with a laugh. Baker echoed her sentiment: "There also wasn't any room in the show to do it properly."

"The transition to the FBI has been able to give us room structurally in the story to explore the potential for a relationship between Jane and Lisbon," Baker adds. "The threat of [Lisbon] parting in a way has been able to give it its due and be able to play it out properly, as opposed to just a sprinkle here and there."

As The Mentalist readies for the final two hours of season six, the gang promises that a finite resolution will be on tap. "People can expect closure," Tunney says of the remaining episodes. Adds Heller: "We wanted to make sure that the last episode was as fun and humorous and as lighthearted as a crime procedural can be and I think we delivered that." (For the record, Baker jokingly compared the final run to Grease.)

Will fans be satisfied? "I would say yes," Heller says. "This is a popular show. It's meant for the people. We have tried to make a finale to the season that will please and engage and fill our core audience." Adds Baker: "It will by and large give the audience closure, but I suspect it will leave them craving more."

There are already "plans and a blueprint" for the new season, Heller says, adding that the show's seventh year "is like an encore." "The purpose of an encore is to get people leaving the theater happy and giving them what they want and hitting your marks as strong as possible, so that will be the intention," he promises.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » Season 6 SPOILERS (Spoilers about future episodes)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz