Wednesday, 24-Apr-24, 11:26 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
redbird Date: Thursday, 02-Jul-15, 9:07 PM | Message # 961
Dinkie-Di

What a nice award for the show to win!

The thing that I found interesting about these awards was that the favorite drama series was Person of Interest and the favorite drama actor was also from this show. According to a report that I read several weeks ago, Person of Interest is getting "The Mentalist Treatment" (that apparently has now become terminology in TVLand) by CBS - the only show on CBS that hasn't received word about it's fate for next season and it most likely it will get a 13-week final season. Just like The Mentalist, Person of Interest is owned by Warner Bros. Another really good, highly rated and very popular show will come to an end because CBS doesn't own it. CBS is dead serious about only airing programming that it owns even if it means killing off really good shows!

kim Date: Friday, 03-Jul-15, 5:13 PM | Message # 962
Bee's Knees

Although Les Moonves is very successful, as head of CBS, he seems to cutting off his nose to spite his face more often now. That may not be a great long term strategy for the network.

ruuger Date: Saturday, 01-Aug-15, 9:32 PM | Message # 963
Cobber

I just noticed that Empire magazine has a poll for the best shows on television. It'd be great to see The Mentalist included, especially since it might inspire Empire to do some coverage on Breath as well... wink

http://www.empireonline.com/greatest-tv-show-2015/

Tina Date: Monday, 10-Aug-15, 2:44 PM | Message # 964
Fair Dinkum

Info for the German members:
amazon is publishing a box with the complete series on December 3rd 2015. No info about any extras yet. But I pre-ordered it because I wanted a backup set of all the episodes anyway. No word about the Season 7 dvds but I guess that will come in December too.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 27-Aug-15, 8:29 PM | Message # 965
Fair Dinkum

Do you remember the episode "Fugue in Red", where Jane grabs Lisbon's cheek in the bar? Someone (@BuneyFeels) asked Robin about this scene on Twitter biggrin

kim Date: Friday, 28-Aug-15, 1:50 AM | Message # 966
Bee's Knees

I saw that also on Facebook DS_P, Robin is so funny. She has really been fun on IG and twitter.

Peithon Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 1:01 PM | Message # 967
Rip Snorter

http://www.cinemablend.com/m....87.html

Tina Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 1:40 PM | Message # 968
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Peithon. I watched Psych and always liked it when they made a TM reference. For me the shows are totally different though.
Of course Psych doesn't even get near TM, but it was fun to watch.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 5:40 PM | Message # 969
Fair Dinkum

Thank for postin the link Pithon. I've never watched Psych, seems nice, but not shares the same playground than TM…

Peithon Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 7:33 PM | Message # 970
Rip Snorter

TM answered back in the episode 1.05 'Redwood' with the pineapple air freshener in the killer's car and the fact that Cho hates pineapple on hawaiian pizza, (a pineapple appears in episodes of Psych). However while initially the folks at Psych were playful about similarities between the shows, toward the end they became noticeably more sarcastic off-camera and it was said USA Network (producer of Psych, subsidiary of NBC) passed on TM for syndication because of ruffled feathers. Similar bad feelings came about between Fox and their show, Lie to Me, with the star Tim Roth making unintentionally funny remarks like their show was real compared to TM. They don't call it Hollyweird for nothing.

Wand6122360 Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 10:11 PM | Message # 971
Bee's Knees

Thanks for the info, peithon. Where do you pick up this stuff?!

Peithon Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 10:18 PM | Message # 972
Rip Snorter

Trade rags tongue

Message edited by Peithon - Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 10:21 PM

Wand6122360 Date: Thursday, 03-Sep-15, 11:04 PM | Message # 973
Bee's Knees

I guess both shows resented the fact that what they considered to be the mediocre version of themselves was so popular. Simon Baker was definitely a huge reason behind this, but The Mentalist also had clever layers to it that I think the naysayers missed. It wasn't just a run of the mill procedural.

Hayseed Date: Friday, 04-Sep-15, 3:11 PM | Message # 974
Bee's Knees

Perhaps they were jealous that Baker could "hold a room" and they couldn't, so much.

kim Date: Saturday, 05-Sep-15, 3:23 AM | Message # 975
Bee's Knees

I think that jealousy has a lot to do with the trash talking from the other shows. But I think that it is a very competitive business and sometimes the hits are not a matter of following a formulae. I think that TM is a great example of that. There is some intangible quality to the shows that make it big. IMO, Simon was the difference in spades. He has a charisma and special something extra that brought the viewers and kept them. I think that writing, supporting cast and all the other pieces are certainly important, and have to be well done, but the shows that stand out have that extra something. I think that this show was a great place to show case Simon's sly wit, range and allowed his character to evolve over time. All that said, I still miss it every day.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Articles & Info (not Simon-specific)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz