Sunday, 28-Apr-24, 11:13 PM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 09 My Blue Heaven (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
09 My Blue Heaven
Evy Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 3:12 PM | Message # 46
Fair Dinkum

I've forgotten to say that I've loved Franklin ! Such a fresh and nice caractere ! Very well played by the young man. So natural, very charismatic hands

Evy Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 7:50 PM | Message # 47
Fair Dinkum

I have made a "comparative study" of the list of the terms ........ tongue
The question is : "is it the same which is used or is it rewritten ?

1st pic : PJ is writing the title of the list

2nd pic : Abbott is signing up the list

3rd pic : PJ is showing the list to Abbott

WHAT'S YOUR CONCLUSION ????

Message edited by Evy - Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 7:52 PM

DS_Pallas Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 8:08 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

Quote Ivana ()
Does anyone now what is on the wall above Jane's desk in the scene where is he writting letters, and what books are on the table?

Hard to say what's on the wall, a few crumple photos or newspaper cuttings apparently, can't see what's on them.
Only the biggest titles books are readable on my capture: there's a "Daily Zen" on the right, a novel named "Words by Heart", a Spanish-English/English-Spanish dictionnary on the table.
No wonder he's asking Kim for her paperback!

@evy: they didn't look quite the same (tiny differences between some letters). Perhaps Simon simply wrote 2 lists in case they lose on of the props? happy

Message edited by DS_Pallas - Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 8:13 PM

Hayseed Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 8:21 PM | Message # 49
Bee's Knees

I think it's the same. Fisher's number is on the backside of all of the napkins we're shown, I believe.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 9:20 PM | Message # 50
Fair Dinkum

Thnaks DS_Pallas smile
I've looked up for Words by Heart on Amazon, this is the description:
Lena can recite the Scriptures by heart. Hoping to make her adored Papa proud of her and to make her white classmates notice her "Magic Mind," not her black skin, Lena vows to win the Bible-quoting contest. But winning does not bring Lena what she expected. Instead of honor, violence and death erupt and strike the one she loves most dearly. Lena, who has believed in vengeance, must now learn how to forgive.

Ivana Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 9:37 PM | Message # 51
Fair Dinkum

I've found on IMDB board a thred about the books on his desk, it's interesting
◄ Message Boards
The Mentalist (2008) : Pretty Maids All In a Row on his desk
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1196946/board/thread/222855402?p=2

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 9:40 PM | Message # 52
Bee's Knees

Well...I admit, I was a little perturbed at what might happen post-RJ...but then I realise, I should have had more faith in Simon. I loved this episode. It was a little unnerving at first...but I was intrigued and moved by the forlornness of Patrick, away from home and trying to fit in. Laughed out loud at the fact that it was the older women who were enamoured with him (if not his Spanish!) . I wonder whether Jane's kiss for the woman at the post office was scripted...seemed a lot like the kind of thing Simon would ad lib.

I won't go through every thing as I concur with the comments already made by others.. I will say that I loved the fact that Matt Gossen shares Simon's self-deprecating humour, by playing an inept assistant to Lisbon...he was cute and funny - made me chuckle as I recognised him instantly.

I also loved the details...the books etc and the pale blue car with the white/cream roof that was being driven through the marketplace when Jane went to post his letter to Lisbon. Nice touch - very reminiscent of Jane's old DS. but a Mexican version!

Loved native Jane (and how hilarious was the tailor?!) but I almost cheered when he was back in a suit (albeit dishevelled). It reminded me of the 'homeless' vibe that he had going on in Red Dawn - when he started out with the CBI. It was a new beginning then...and it is a new beginning now. However, I was very glad to see the old playful Jane return when he asked Cho about the chip in his neck lol and the interaction with Lisbon, and her reactions to his terms. It was back to business when he knelt down and told her he was 'in control'.

Eh voila! Rebirth successful. Kudos Mr Baker...you've gone and done it again!

As for the Terms - they brought a smile (Twinings tea - no other will do!) Wants a new vehicle - interesting. An airstream trailer?! He even specifies the model number! biggrin Guess we know where he plans to sleep from now on!

And the handwriting debate? Well, I'm no expert graphologist, but the M and the Y in 'My' are different in the version Abbott signs to the ones we see Simon actually writing. The letter to Lisbon, however, did remind me of the cursive style Simon has in S3Ep1 when he leaves his number for Monica at Miles Thorsen's house. The devil really is in the details! tongue

Message edited by AgentM - Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 9:44 PM

marta75 Date: Wednesday, 04-Dec-13, 11:27 PM | Message # 53
Rip Snorter

AgentM, I'm glad you love MBH. We are all agreed thumb
Evy : it doesn't look like the same letter : the first pic is written differently (MY)

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 0:01 AM | Message # 54
Fair Dinkum

Funny thing...I had never heard of that brand of tea. I'm more into herbal tea. I was sitting with my mom at her
kitchen table today. My sister had made a pre-Christmas kalender for her with 24 little gifts for every day. And today
mom unpacked a little package of teabags....Twinings of London! Of course I had to ask mom if I can have it. I'm going to
make me a cup tomorrow morning. It's not the English breakfast... but anyway...special for me. PJ's brand.

DS_Pallas Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 0:29 AM | Message # 55
Fair Dinkum

Interesting link to the IMDB board! Thanks Ivana.
Here is a "digest" of the discussion on the forum.

The books on Jane desk are all classic murder mysteries that have haunting similarities to the Red John saga. They clearly are using these books and their similarities to convey a message.

From the right to the left, some of them:

The Last Tycoon: A man haunted by the death of his wife. A man so powerful he can get people to take the blame for him. He's bullet proof, suave, and brilliant. In the end he just Goes away.....it's an unfinished story.

Pretty Maids in a Row
Summary: Revenge or justice? It all depends on how you look at it. Years earlier, five coeds were made the sexual targets of a brutal cabal of fraternity brothers whose vicious deeds remained unpunished. Each of the women was tormented by the memories of what she had suffered, so, in mutual support, they banded together and formed the Little Sisters Society to even the score.
And
" Pretty Maids all in a Row ", a classic movie with Rock Hudson, a charismatic Gym teacher named "Tiger" is killing girls who can out him for having sex with him. They never get enough evidence against him. He fakes his own death.

In "Words By Heart", A young black woman enters a competition and beats the town favorite. Upon returning home she finds her dog killed. Her life is up-heaved and she has many thoughts of vengeance.
Similar to Jane challenging Red John and then going home to find his family killed.

"Murder By Family": A story about a guy who hires a hit man to kill his mother and brother, and his father trying to forgive him.

And the book Kim gave to Jane: She's reading "The Daughter of Time". The investigator in "The daughter in Time" was confounded by looking at pictures of Richard III because he is able to size people up at a glance, and sees a kindly man, not the killer everybody came to believe he was.
Heller used that in TM already, too. Remember? When Jane looked at the happy family photo, Jane could tell Eileen's husband Roddy was not the brute the RJ minion/social worker said he was. "Red John's Rules."

Thrill Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 1:10 AM | Message # 56
Dinkie-Di

Thanks for that DSP - so much detail. I find it amazing that the whole T M team goes to so much effort with these tiny details when only maybe a small number of people will notice. But its like good wine - there are so many different flavours which you can not single out but together give a unique richness…….

sylvia5993 Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 1:59 AM | Message # 57
Bee's Knees

Interesting that Jane says to Kim he doesn't care for muder mysteries, when that's his collection. A complex man with edenic memory whoreads even phone books, books on baseball and Nietzche. I know Simon himself has a whole range of beeks he likes to read, some quite odd. The details are so important to a good film director. Simon must have had a hand in picking these.

Tish Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 3:25 AM | Message # 58
Blow-In

AgentM quote:
I wonder whether Jane's kiss for the woman at the post office was scripted...seemed a lot like the kind of thing Simon would ad lib.

Funny - I thought the same thing as I was watching the episode today.

I really liked the episode - nice story telling. Especially with Lisbon and Jane trying to convince themselves they were fine with the demise of CBI.

At first I thought the aborted man-hug with Cho was off character but I guess it shows respect at some level. Cho was giving off "Don't mess with me vibes". Perfectly apt given Jane's hugs often come with strings attached (lifting of phones, work passes and some such spring to mind).

Tina Date: Thursday, 05-Dec-13, 1:07 PM | Message # 59
Fair Dinkum

Thank you for the link to the screencaps, justlook3. Just went through them and kept the best ones.

Tina Date: Friday, 06-Dec-13, 1:22 PM | Message # 60
Fair Dinkum

It's so silly but I just ordered Twinings English Breakfast tea ...and also Twinings Camomille, because I LOVE Camomille tea and maybe this British one is even better than German tea.

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist - Season 6 » 09 My Blue Heaven (Contains EPISODE SPOILERS)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz