Sunday, 05-May-24, 11:11 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Discussion
Thrill Date: Thursday, 19-Jul-12, 3:13 AM | Message # 76
Dinkie-Di

For any of you who dont have access to the full versions - i made my own summary of each season last year and have posted in 4shared

Nick and Lulu their story and more

You need an account to access (its free). The files are quite big - getting on for 750 MB +. It did this for me - as I didn't want to keep watching the whole episodes - its just my favourite parts - not just Nick and Lulu but with Kim and others.

I always felt that Nick chasing Lulu was like him trying to close the business deal - the excitement was in the chase when it looked like he couldn't win so had to try harder. When he made the deal he wasn't interested anymore - once he had slept with Lulu his attitude seem to change completely - where is the challenge.....

But the baby changed everything and was a huge moment or start of discovery and he appeared to want to move forward and realised that there was much more to life than just winning the deal. I think Lulu's rejection of his proposal was hugely hurtful and he never understood it........

Clearly Lulu was a very complex character and had serious psychological problems - but I found it a bit disjointed how it played out..

I also never really understood why Alvin tried to send Lulu away (to the practice in SF) - when she was his best asset - was he trying to save Nick as he instinctively knew Lulu was not what Nick needed ???

Its a while since I have watched it - I'll go back and have a look at my own vids again! But have to finish the birthday vid first - which is taking a back seat currently as home stuff is pressing........ wacko wacko

fangs4fun Date: Thursday, 19-Jul-12, 2:47 PM | Message # 77
Jillaroo

Quote (Thrill)
I also never really understood why Alvin tried to send Lulu away (to the practice in SF) - when she was his best asset - was he trying to save Nick as he instinctively knew Lulu was not what Nick needed ???

I recall Alvin saying something to the effect of Lulu being great in the office but not in the court. Alvin is implying that Lulu does not care enough about winning her cases and implied that she lost more cases than she won while working at LSP.

You may also be right about Alvin subconsciously separating Nick and Lulu. Alvin seems to be closer to Nick and trusts him more than he does Lulu. Actuallu, Lulu did not seem to have developed close relationships to any of the other characters. At least, I did not see enough to say that she was a friend to the others. Colleagues, sure, but friends, no. Are we just to assume that she became closer to the others off screen? That's why I was rather surprised that Barbara asked her to be bridesmaid. Surely someone as friendly as Barbara has other friends, especially since she left LSP. We barely even saw Barbara after the 1st season. Can anyone tell me why she left LSP?

Quote (Thrill)
Clearly Lulu was a very complex character and had serious psychological problems - but I found it a bit disjointed how it played out..

Disjointed, incomplete, without direction... the writers made a mess of Lulu's character. Her complexity and her problems were no better or worse than the other support characters.

fangs4fun Date: Sunday, 22-Jul-12, 4:25 AM | Message # 78
Jillaroo

Another thing I did not like about season 3 is what the writers did to Jeremy, Nick's cousin. Nicks' family is already dysfunctional. Jeremy's mom has cancer and Jeremy already has a lot of issues. Making him schizo and attempt to rape Burton's charge feels to me like the writers are just piling on the angst for no reason. It is just too too much. I don't see the need or the point of that. My heart already felt heavy for the kid and for Nick and Burton when it was revealed that the mom has cancer too.

Fran Date: Sunday, 22-Jul-12, 11:23 AM | Message # 79
Fair Dinkum

Quote (fangs4fun)
Disjointed, incomplete, without direction... the writers made a mess of Lulu's character. Her complexity and her problems were no better or worse than the other support characters.

I disagree, I think Lulu had a lot of issues - as Hollander himself said, she’s as much of a mess as Nick. I think her psychological problems are more difficult to spot than Nick’s because they’re not explored to the same extent, which I think is good because otherwise we would have seen more of Lulu and less of Nick. And presumably Hollander didn’t want that to happen either, so he had to trust his audience to recognise that much of her behaviour was as a result of deeply-rooted issues.

I think where the Lulu character failed for me was that I didn’t find her likeable, but I’m not sure if that was intentional and if it was purely because of the writing/direction or if some of it was due to decisions made by the actress.

fangs4fun Date: Sunday, 22-Jul-12, 12:59 PM | Message # 80
Jillaroo

Quote (Fran)
I think where the Lulu character failed for me was that I didn’t find her likeable, but I’m not sure if that was intentional and if it was purely because of the writing/direction or if some of it was due to decisions made by the actress.

I liked her in the episode we first see her, when Nick was interviewing her for a job in F&A. I liked her spirit. I thought she would be a good match for Nick. Then, it went downhill from there starting from her hysterical actions at the court, then her judgmental attitude to one of their clients (the druggie mom), to her leading Nick on. Very disappointing.

I think I read somewhere that Hollander and the writers are surprised why Lulu is not getting a lot of love from fans. If they are surprised, it means its not their intent to make Lulu into an unlikeable character. Maybe they just don't know how to write a strong, independent professional woman who has issues.

Juney Date: Sunday, 22-Jul-12, 9:00 PM | Message # 81
Bee's Knees

Maybe they should have just let her go to California. Everyone (including me) would have been happy then. happy

Thrill Date: Monday, 23-Jul-12, 11:23 AM | Message # 82
Dinkie-Di

I wish Kim had had a more prominent role - she made Nick laugh and seemed to accept him for who/what he was - but perhaps that story line was too easy. I have just been rewatching my N&L vids (see above) to refresh my memory. Maybe it was the way I put them together but there are alot times with Nick smiling. biggrin biggrin

Having said that Simon is hotter now 10 years on............ thumb thumb

fangs4fun Date: Monday, 23-Jul-12, 11:49 AM | Message # 83
Jillaroo

Quote (Juney)
Maybe they should have just let her go to California. Everyone (including me) would have been happy then.

I was looking forward to her moving actually. biggrin But I still gave her and Nick another chance when she got pregnant. It was not meant to be.

Quote (Thrill)
Maybe it was the way I put them together but there are alot times with Nick smiling.

Oh I loved those episodes and for the same reason. She made Nick smile. I thought Nick is finally moving on.

Quote (Thrill)
Having said that Simon is hotter now 10 years on............ thumb thumb

AGREED. I prefer his look now than in The Guardian. Prefer to see the curls and the smile lines.

Juney Date: Monday, 23-Jul-12, 6:11 PM | Message # 84
Bee's Knees

I like them both equally. They are so different, it's hard to imagine they are played by the same man. He's so gorgeous with lines and without. wink

June Date: Sunday, 02-Sep-12, 8:37 PM | Message # 85
Bee's Knees

Anyone knows if the series on dvd has subtitles?

Thanks.

Tina Date: Monday, 03-Sep-12, 8:56 AM | Message # 86
Fair Dinkum

The first season doesn't have subtitles, the second and third yes.

sorchauna Date: Friday, 16-Nov-12, 6:32 PM | Message # 87
Jillaroo

Thanks for the clips to download Thrill, I started going through them today. I had forgotten the Guardian. I remember watching it when I was about ten, it was the first court room drama I remember seeing! It was good to go back and watch the best parts.

pip Date: Thursday, 29-Nov-12, 10:35 PM | Message # 88
Cobber

We didnt get The Guardian series here until TM had started. I watched it and loved it but I have so say I was really mad at Lulu. How blind did she have to be to see that Nick was really ready to start over and he was a good guy. I got really involved!!!!!!! Great acting from SB and loved the look he had then. Love the look he has now. He just looks better with age, which seems to happen to a lot of men. smile wacko

sorchauna Date: Friday, 30-Nov-12, 0:12 AM | Message # 89
Jillaroo

Yes I agree great acting and maybe until you have seen the Mentalist and the mostly constant sunny disposition and smiles Simon does to play the character, you may not notice how skilled he is in the Guardian to constantly be alot more uptight and more controlled in his emotions yet show us glimises of a caring, troubled character. But yes he does age very nicely Pip!

Message edited by sorchauna - Friday, 30-Nov-12, 0:12 AM

Juney Date: Tuesday, 18-Dec-12, 2:27 PM | Message # 90
Bee's Knees

A really nasty post has been placed on The Guardian IMDb message boards. Very personal to Simon. Where do these people come from. angry

Forum » Television Series » The Guardian » Discussion (Chat about The Guardian series)
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz