Sunday, 05-May-24, 10:26 AM
The Baker Boy - for fans of Simon Baker

Home PageRegistrationLogin
Welcome, Guest · RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Who is the real Red John?
Who is the real Red John?
Who is the real Red John?
1. A member of the main CBI Team (e.g. Van Pelt, Cho etc) [ 4 ] [7.41%]
2. A recurring or guest character (e.g. Bertram, Laroche, Stiles, Partridge etc) [ 31 ] [57.41%]
3. A background character (e.g. CBI Ron, CBI Karl etc) [ 10 ] [18.52%]
4. Someone we haven't seen yet [ 9 ] [16.67%]
Answers total: 54
Thrill Date: Thursday, 21-Jun-12, 4:38 PM | Message # 46
Dinkie-Di

Ahhhh. So many thoughts!
I think if RJ was a relative PJ would recognize the voice even if disguised.....
I also wondered whether anyone from the show was a member. Or even Simons mum!!!!! surprised

AgentM Date: Thursday, 21-Jun-12, 9:42 PM | Message # 47
Bee's Knees

Will the real sexy Baker maker please step forward and identify yourself?!!! suspect lol haha

Fran Date: Sunday, 24-Jun-12, 11:41 PM | Message # 48
Fair Dinkum

I just watched Red John's Footsteps again, and so was reminded of Rosalind's description of Roy Tagliaferro (which for some unknown reason I haven't paid much attention to in the past):

"just under 6 feet tall, not muscular but not soft either, short straight hair, a gentle voice, rough strong hands".

Jane seems to be convinced that Roy Tagliaferro is Red John, and if he's right then this description significantly narrows down the potential candidates. So now I can't decide whether or not Roy Tagliaferro is one of Bruno's red herrings.

I'd be interested to know what other people think.

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 4:14 AM | Message # 49
Bee's Knees

I'm still with the evil twin scenario. The height and build is the same, except for the hair, and hands are not a deciding factor since patrick hasn't been building things like Ray was in this episode. Bruno hints that he has already decided on who this person is, but is that just more blocks to keep the fans puzzling.

lenacr Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 10:27 AM | Message # 50
Dinkie-Di

To Fran (and everbody else): This phrase by Rozalind is the main reason that I go with the theory that RJ is the brother-in-law. But the whole thing may indeed be a red herring: Roy Taglafero may not be RJ and/or the blind woman may lie in her description.
And it is true, if the voice belonged to a relative, Jane would recognise it. So ...

beautyfulbabyboy Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 6:38 PM | Message # 51
True Blue

now we got it confirmed, it was Bruno in "Red Moon"!

(taken from the interview June translated):

You are English as Alfred Hitchcock. Will you also do an appearance on the show?
-Oh la la! Simon Baker, who has directed the episode nine “Red Moon” of season three, has forced me.

What is your role?
-I play, or rather embody, a uniformed police on the background. You’d better pay attention to notice me (laughs).

As for the RJ-question,I must admit, at first I found the thought of Jane having an evil twin really strange, a little ridiculous even (sorry); but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the Blake-poem having a deeper meaning.
I am not sure if Bruno said we actually have seen RJ or if it might be someone we´ve seen already, but however,
for me Jane having an unknown twin being RJ does not exclude that we already seen him. They don´t have to look alike, he (or she?) might have changed his or her appearence.

Maybe that this was clear to see to everyone else except me (might be a language thing, for I am not a native-english-speaker) but it just occured to me the names Patrick JANE and Red JOHN are somehow connected/controverse - as in Johndoe/Janedoe for a not identified person? So, male/female - good/evil - brother/sister???? Names must have been chosen on purpose, right? Or is this too cheap and down? Did Red John name himself that because he wanted to be the opposite to Jane? But, didn´t RJ murder before Jane started to help the police with the investigation? But then again, perhaps it took some time until he got Jane´s attention...

Please help - I´m going crazy about this!

There are more Blake-quotes in some episodes, I´m going to check, maybe there are more hidden clues? And maybe check those Bible-quotes, as well? Red John, John the baptist, book of revelation, ...there is so much time until the 5th season starts, why not spend it in research in this or that direction?

sylvia5993 Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 6:44 PM | Message # 52
Bee's Knees

Bruno also hinted to this interviewer that RJ likes the cold, or be cold. Now I'm really puzzled, because there was this episode where the killer was a cocaine user and thus always warm, so had to have extra cold air units around him, so is RJ a user also? Bruno you're killing me.

Fran Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 9:11 PM | Message # 53
Fair Dinkum

I've been thinking about the "Red John likes to be cold" clue as well, without much success I have to say. Gale Bertram crossed my mind - are gales cold?? - and he quoted Blake. I don't think we know whether or not he likes Bach though, and I think he's probably taller than 6 feet.

Could indicate RJ is a cocaine user sylvia, but apart from the guy you mentioned I don't think we've met any others have we? Worth storing that thought away though for possible future reference.

bee Date: Monday, 25-Jun-12, 10:52 PM | Message # 54
Fair Dinkum

Do you think he could work in a morgue? They have cold storage places don't they? Morgue attendants also wear latex gloves! Just a thought! surprised

Message edited by bee - Sunday, 08-Jul-12, 12:16 PM

AgentM Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 8:43 PM | Message # 55
Bee's Knees

Maybe it's the coroner, Pat? surprised lol Or maybe Bruno's clue about RJ liking the cold is just another red herring? He does like messing with our heads now, doesn't he? wacko

Just a slight aside, noticed that Jane's cup was similar to the one RJ had in S1 finale - not the same- but of a similar pattern in the episode where he gets Donald Culpepper to break in to LaRoche's house --- at the end of the ep when he's trying to come up with a solution to getting Culpepper out, just before he fesses up to Lisbon. Probably doesn't mean anything but it just caught my attention when I watched the episode again recently.

Message edited by AgentM - Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 8:48 PM

sylvia5993 Date: Tuesday, 26-Jun-12, 11:30 PM | Message # 56
Bee's Knees

The Coroner in the pilot episode was the same one in the baseball episode "Trowing Fire". One of the other coroners is a woman we've seen recently in last episode and several times before, and the other one died. So my bet could be with the original creepy guy with the tattoo or is that too obvious.

bee Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-12, 8:42 AM | Message # 57
Fair Dinkum

To AgentM....I watched that season 1 finale again and thought the same as you also but I think that cup was one of Rosalind Harker's cups. It looked similar to those that she offered to Lisbon and Jane when they first met her. Perhaps RJ had taken one of her cups for himself? Perhaps I'm wrong I'm not sure but the more you watch those episodes again the more you see...it does seem strange though that Jane uses a similar cup and saucer!!

sylvia5993 Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-12, 4:44 PM | Message # 58
Bee's Knees

Yes RJ was using that same cup which he probably took from Harker's house, however, I find it strange that with all the stuff he left behind in that room, there was no DNA or prints! This has bothered me since they ran that episode, with all those CSI shows we as viewers are becoming savvier. He must not have sipped the tea and wore gloves is all I can deduce. Bruno sis say that a lot goes on at CBI which isn't shown and just assumed.

AgentM Date: Wednesday, 27-Jun-12, 5:57 PM | Message # 59
Bee's Knees

Yeah, it's bugged me too, Sylvia. I know RJ is smart and doesn't leave evidence unless he intends to but there have been so many things I would have wanted to follow up on during the course of this case, it drives me bonkers not being able to. We just have to accept that if it hasn't been mentioned, no evidence has been found. I still think it points towards someone who is extremely forensically aware (ie Brett Partridge) Who knows, maybe RJ used a straw!! tongue

As for the teacup and saucer:
Quote (bee)
I think that cup was one of Rosalind Harker's cups

I know it originally belonged to Rosalind Harker and that RJ took one --- the question it poses is 'why'? Did RJ keep it as a trophy? or does he really have a sentimental side to him? The cup Jane had wasn't exactly a match to it but of a similar pattern. I just think that maybe there is a link somewhere along the way - Bruno has a habit of leaving subtle links between episodes that relate to RJ and the pilot episode. This was clearly evident in Red Moon (Simon's Director episode) and the S4 finale - the nature documentary. I love the way they link the arc story eg like the way in Red Brick and Ivy, Dr Sophie Miller was wearing a similar outfit to the one Jane wore in the pilot (black waistcoat/vest, blue shirt etc) to show the connection between the two characters. It really is very clever. Also anyone or anything involving the colour red grabs my attention instantly, and there have been a lot of red-haired people too!

Suspicions, suspicions everywhere! I so wish I had access to the Red John files and all of the evidence --- so far - as of the end of season four - I have a 97% case clearance rate!! Oh, if only I could work for the CBI! cool

There's also the question of the fact that RJ has some tendencies to be savvy with technology --- remember the stuffed elephant Dumar bought Rosalind? The store owner said his son was a techno geek --- how does he fit into the whole thing?

June Date: Friday, 29-Jun-12, 5:56 PM | Message # 60
Bee's Knees

After reading Bruno Heller's hint: Red John likes to be cold, I thought inmediatly in a coroner and then, the character of Brett Partridge crossed my mind. He always has been a creepy presence and he's in the pilot and the episode where Patrick Jane faces Red John. Without forgetting his voice, similar or the same?
Maybe it's true that the simplest answer is most likely the correct one.

Message edited by June - Friday, 29-Jun-12, 6:00 PM

Forum » Television Series » The Mentalist » Who is the real Red John?
Search:

Free web hostinguCoz